PDA

View Full Version : Big Picture: Good, Bad & the Ugly

BobZag
03-28-2009, 09:48 AM
The Good:

1. Winning the prestigeous Old Spice Classic (Ok State, Maryland, Tennessee)
2. Destroying eastern WA rival WSU in Pullman
3. Sweeping the Vols two games and breaking Tenn's long homecourt streak
4. Sweeping through the conference by an average of about 20ppg--14-0
5. Demolishing the opponents in the conference tourney by 50 total points
6. Advancing to the Sweet Sixteen in GU's eleventh straight NCAA dance
7. Being ranked 10th in the final AP poll
8. Earning a 28-6 overall record
9. The maturation of Micah and Josh
10. The emergence of Meech as a highly capable and clutch PG of the future
11. The superb effort and near-miss versus #1 UConn
12. The promise/upside of returnees Matt, Meech, Gray, Daye and Sacre

The Bad:

1. Losing to Arizona
2. Losing to PSU at home
3. Losing to Utah
4. Losing Rob Sacre to a broken foot, the Zags' only true center

The Ugly:

1. The loss to Memphis
2. The loss to North Carolina

----------------------------------------------

The Zags ran into what looked like a Carolina team that will waltz to the National Championship. Only Louisville looked that good. No, Gonzaga didn't play its best game, but I'm going to give the Tar Heels full credit for that game. They simply played outstanding ball. Mark Few stated before the game that if UNC plays their best, they're the best team in America. And they did just that. The Heels would've made any team look average last night. Zags had their spurts but either could not sustain them, or the Heels countered. Even midway through the 2nd-half, the Zags went on a valiant run that closed the gap to 11 points, with plenty of time remaining. But Roy Williams called a time-out and Bobby Frasor, a 26% 3-point shooter, drilled two treys in a row, and suddenly, boom!, the Heels scored 9 straight in 45 secs, 12 straight in 75 secs. UNC clicked on all cylinders.

And I'm doubtful that any of the remaining eight teams can beat the Heels when they're clicking like that.

Gonzaga joined Duke, Syracuse, Arizona and Memphis in the "disappointment" department. But if fans look at the Big Picture, from November through March, it was a very good season with lots of great memories, from the sun and fun in Orlando, to all the road games in the WCC, to the 90 minute trek to Wazzu and back, to The Orleans in Las Vegas, to the Rose Garden in Portland. A lot of good times were had by many, many Zag fans.

And I'd be remiss not to say Thank You to Jeremy for coming to Gonzaga, and Thank You to Micah for transferring here, and how proud I am of how Josh matured and transformed before our eyes, and how much I enjoyed Ira's contributions and Andrew's unbridled enthusiasm for the game and his teammates.

Very good.

GonzagaDynasty
03-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Another great post!!! It was a great ride, as is every year in ZagNation. The beauty of being a Gonzaga fan, is that next year always has promise. Although we lost some great players, and some amazing human beings, Im very confident that Gonzaga is still on the incline, and next year will be another success....

El Voce
03-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Bob -- You left out one thing on the Best: We went one game further in the tournament than the posers from Seattle did.

GonzagaDynasty
03-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Bob -- You left out one thing on the Best: We went one game further in the tournament that the posers from Seattle did.

Absolutely!!!!!!

SpudDawg
03-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Nice post, Bob. A tough end to the year, but all in all it was a good year.

Already looking forward to next season. It's going to be an interesting one, with lots of new faces. We will enjoy getting to watch the new players grow, and to see GU benefit as a result.

Thanks to Jeremy, Micah, Josh, Ira, and Andrew. Love you guys. Best of luck in all you do in your futures.

gamagin
03-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks. And thanks for all your contributions.

I hope the ride continues. There is every hope that it will.

I am hoping to see an inside-out game develop that will allow our shooters to shoot and our bigs to establish a game under the nets at both ends. And rarely the twain shall meet at the top of the perimeter.

It seems to be the most puzzling part of the Zag "game" yet to be found or established year over year.

Go TEAM Zags !

rennis
03-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Great post Bob.

Many thanks to the team. It was a great year, one I won't soon forget.

MJ777
03-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Well said Sir.

I believe that this year's version of UNC is the best team the Zags have ever played in their history of being in the tourney. At least that is how they played yesterday. No shame in losing to a great team that played a great game. It was only by 21, but it could have been worse.

Good luck to the departing Seniors and AD if he decides to try his lot in the NBA.

On to next year!!

zagnut52
03-28-2009, 01:14 PM
It was a very good year, just didn't get past Sweet 16. Should be lots of interest in doing that like maybe next year?! And think of all the potential recruits that decide to come Gonzagas' way in the very near future!!! :D

EngineerZag
03-28-2009, 07:47 PM
I agree that Carolina played great ball, however, it's frustrating to watch open shot after open shot ... we let them play their best ball rather than using our defense to alter their plans (except for a couple of good stretches when we made a couple of runs) ... we let them outrebound us by double digits ... we had several silly unforced turnovers ... those things are fixable and so it's disappointing that we didn't fix them.

I agree though that overall this was a great season. But no excuses about our performance in the S16, it was atrocious, it was not just a case of UNC playing great.

DoggieDogpound
03-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Your best post of the year - this was a fun season and best of luck to the seniors. Hope our success continues.

azzagfan
03-28-2009, 08:21 PM
BZ, I totally agree with the list.

I'd also add that the one trait that's holding this group of Zags back, and I think this will be the same next year as well, is the level of intensity that is required to advance past the sweet 16. The teams still playing are all talented, but the teams that are competing and winning are playing at a different level of intensity than the teams that were run out of the sweet 16.

The games today (UConn - Mizzou and Pitt - Villanova) were great examples of that different level. Compare how those teams are competing right now and how the Zags played yesterday. We didn't compete at near the level of intensity those teams played with, and that, in my mind, is a challenge the Zags will need to face before next year.

BobZag
03-29-2009, 09:31 AM
I think the young guns next season will be out to prove themselves. Meech is a feisty, had-playing leader. And guys like Gibbs, Arop, Kong and Harris only know how to play one way: hard. And that will push the veterans.

But this team has played hard and tough before. The Zags went to the Sweet Sixteen this year, then lost to the North Carolina Tar Heels, the team predicted in preseason and postseason to win it all. Them's the breaks.

zagco
03-29-2009, 09:37 AM
What position will Kong play?

Zagco looks forward to seeing Austin Daye develop his defensive footwork and technique. When Austin gets that down, his game will flourish.

BobZag
03-29-2009, 09:41 AM
What position will Kong play?

Zagco looks forward to seeing Austin Daye develop his defensive footwork and technique. When Austin gets that down, his game will flourish.

Kong can play the 2, 3 and some 4. I see him as a wing.

zagco
03-29-2009, 10:57 AM
Is Kong a strong player, or is he more of an athletic, Euro type?

BobZag
03-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Is Kong a strong player, or is he more of an athletic, Euro type?

There are vid clips of him playing. Looks strong to me.

zagfan1
03-29-2009, 11:21 AM
I am pretty proud of the team. They battled hard and Jeremy and Micah finished strong which was really cool to see. We are coming closer on or journey. We need to continue to strive to be more consistent on the defensive end. We let NC have too many open looks for threes. Defense and layups win championships. I think the addition of Dower and having Sacre back will really help out a lot next year. Losing Sacre this year changed how the Zags had to play and maybe if he had not been lost for the year things could have changed a bit. I remember having the huge high after the old spice tournament but having the big shock moment in Arizona seeing Sacre on crutches a day or two before the game. If kong is able to play next year in the spring semester they could do some damage. I am not too concerned about Daye leaving this year because he is just so skinny and gets easy flustered in the games. This year we played like a group of skinny tall guys. Next year we will have some beef and muscle which will balance things out. I am extremely excited to see what the new additions can bring and the experience that Matt can share with them.

zagco
03-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor down here that Gonzaga is going hard after one of the College of Southern Idaho's JUCO's?

BobZag
03-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor down here that Gonzaga is going hard after one of the College of Southern Idaho's JUCO's?

Unless the staff did a 180, no. GU backed off Montreal months ago. But things do change sometimes.

Das Zagger
03-29-2009, 05:58 PM
2. Losing to PSU at home
3. Losing to Utah

You look at where GU was after those two games and I think there were some people ready to write off the season. I think the team did a great job rebounding (no pun intended) and getting back on the winning track. Coming back and beating UT in the 2nd half helped as well.

BobZag
03-29-2009, 06:12 PM
You look at where GU was after those two games and I think there were some people ready to write off the season. I think the team did a great job rebounding (no pun intended) and getting back on the winning track. Coming back and beating UT in the 2nd half helped as well.

Agreed. Few had his mid-season individual talks with the guys, plus they finally shook off the UConn loss.