PDA

View Full Version : Game Plan?

Hoops Junkie
03-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I don't understand why Zags tried to run with UNC. The Zags have enough
talent to beat UNC but not in a up and down type game.
From the start the team looked uninspired. I would have thought they would have been fired up?

GonzagaDynasty
03-28-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't understand why Zags tried to run with UNC. The Zags have enough
talent to beat UNC but not in a up and down type game.
From the start the team looked uninspired. I would have thought they would have been fired up?

I feel the same way about hte 2nd part. They did look completely uninspired. I noticed that from the very beginning as well. Especially Josh. Come on dude, have some emotion. I was very dissapointed in that. If Im playing UNC in the Sweet 16, Im likely to expload, being so pumped up. Even as a fan, I was so pumped up I had to play Zombie Nation before the game.... If only they had my emotion

BobZag
03-28-2009, 10:27 AM
It's real easy to feel pumped up when a team like UNC isn't punching you in the gut like Joe Frazier.

Goshzagit
03-28-2009, 10:28 AM
From the start the team looked uninspired.

I'd say more like overwhelmed...

misszigzag
03-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I can assure you these guys did not come into the game uninspired or unmotivated.

The Zags ran into a very talented North Carolina team and never managed to get in synch. We were working towards a come back once or twice but NC always had an answer.

FuManShoes
03-28-2009, 10:43 AM
From the start the team looked uninspired.

I didn't see a lack of emotion or inspiration -- at least not until later. The Zags seemed plenty inspired to me and were making shots and drawing fouls out of the gate. The looked like they belonged and had plenty of firepower. Heytvelt was on a mission. But they were unable or unwilling to stop UNC and by the 10 minute mark the enthusiasm seemed to leave the fellas as the realization set in that UNC could score at will and would continue to do so. The second half couldn't have started worse. There was the run to get it to 11, at which point I made an ill-advised trip to the bathroom, only to learn upon my return that one of the worst 75-second stretches in GU hoops history had occurred. Think about it: if the Zags don't allow Frasor's dagger threes and the And 1, they enter the final stretch of the game maybe down 7 or 8. Instead it was all she wrote. I don't know why the defense sucked so much last night, but I though things only really got out of hand when GU got desperate.

Hoops Junkie
03-29-2009, 07:40 AM
It doesn't make sense to me to try and run with UNC. The Zags brought a
unique mix of ability to the floor but they couldnot exploit it by the running,
mano a mano game plan. I would have tried to slow it down.
Coaches needed to make adjustments, they never did; just substituted.

zagfan07
03-29-2009, 10:28 AM
The Zags have never played well "slowing it down." You have to play the way you've played all season to win a game like that. You can't suddenly tell your players to be something they're not. I thought Few did an excellent job of trying to throw UNC off by switching between zone and man-to-man, but the tar heels were too hot from the outside to let that have an effect on the game.

It doesn't matter how your opponent plays, the Zags style is to run when they get the opportunities and execute well offensively. The problem I saw was that we were unable to turn UNC over. They took care of the ball really well and when we made mistakes, they took advantage. Just like a championship team should.

If we tried to slow the game down, it would have been much, much worse.

Reborn
03-29-2009, 05:41 PM
I thought we played our best kind of game against UNC. I was glad Few did that. We never backed down offensively. I felt the only difference was that UNC played their A game to perfection and we played our B or even C+ game. Few said if they play their A game no one can beat them. I think he is absolutely right. Oklahoma sure couldn't slow that freight train down. UNC is a very great team. Thats what I saw. If Josh and Matt and Meech had played their A games it would have been much closer. Could we have beaten them? I agree with Few. But it could have been a hell of a lot closer. Pargo played real good and so did Micah. Micah really came on at the end of the year. I also felt that Austin played very good with a double-double with 4 blocks. The turnovers killed us. Not only the turnovers but how many led to easy buckets. In the end the turnovers killed us, and our inabililty to attack the basket. Way too many outside shots I felt.

Angelo Roncalli
03-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Oklahoma tried to slow it down. How that work for the Sooners?