PDA

View Full Version : Somehow it never all came together.

HillBillyZag
03-28-2009, 08:02 AM
While I will miss our five seniors and appreciate the effort and achievements of the 2008-09 Gonzaga team I still feel that we seldom, if ever, saw this particular Zag team reach its full potential. No doubt in my mind that this Bulldog squad had more and deeper individual basketball talent than any of its predecessors, but somehow the combination of teamwork, talent,heart,luck and that "X" factor that enables a team to achieve more than the sum of its parts never quite reached its zenith with this group.And so another season ends and Coach Few and his fellows return to Hogwarts and try again to discover the spells it will take to reach their elusive goal. Hopefully the 2009-2010 edition of the Zags will see new heighths of success and I for one can only say I am already fired up for the next edition of our beloved Zags. Lets go GU.!!

Zag365
03-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Wow. My sentiments exactly. Now that GU is a perenial top 25 team, our anticipation level is so high, it is tough to take whenever we get knocked out of the NCAA tourney because we know that, with a little luck, we could still be dancing.

I'm not angry, just a bit deflated and disappointed for our seniors especially. I love our players, our coaches, and the fact that this team, under pressure, did what it was supposed to do (i.e., at least get to the S16). They did their part to keep the tradition going. But, like HBZ, I think, for whatever reason, this team's personality lacked that X factor that could have made them more competitive vs. UNC (and, earlier, Memphis). Against a top five team, we seemed to lose our confidence and become disoriented as soon as we fell behind by 8 or 10 points early on.

But, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that, all in all, it was a great season. I think our #10 ranking at the end was pretty accurate and is something the players and coaches can be very proud of.

alaskazagnut
03-28-2009, 04:47 PM
I believe the game against UCONN was it. If Price didn't make his last second shot we win, and our entire season is different.

But for the most part I agree with your statement. The potential after the UCONN game was lost. Sometimes it was our fault other times it was the opponent crushing us.

UNC is better. But we are a top 16 team. We should be ranked in the pre season top 25 next year and hopefully Sacre is 100% and Daye stays another year.

That is key. Daye needs to stay.

skan72
03-28-2009, 05:16 PM
I believe the game against UCONN was it. If Price didn't make his last second shot we win, and our entire season is different.

But for the most part I agree with your statement. The potential after the UCONN game was lost. Sometimes it was our fault other times it was the opponent crushing us.

UNC is better. But we are a top 16 team. We should be ranked in the pre season top 25 next year and hopefully Sacre is 100% and Daye stays another year.

That is key. Daye needs to stay.

I agree. A bit more confidence, and we DO NOT get a 4 seed.