PDA

View Full Version : One Zag's Thanks and Reflection

TeachforZagNation
03-28-2009, 07:00 AM
I don't post much but I read often. Probably too often.

I just want to thank the team, especially Andrew, Ira, Jeremy, Josh, and Micah, for a great year and for great careers of dedication, renewal, passion...

Each year means something different to all of us. It is hard to believe that in the 10 years since 99 I have gone from a high school junior at LC to a professional on the other side of the country. But the Zags have been a constant in the changes of my (our) lives and I want to thank them for always being there.

I remember the early years with a blissful youth. I dont think the program or I knew what was in store for us in the coming years. Excitement and hope carried us to places we weren't sure we were supposed to be (3 straight Sweet16s/ college in Virginia?!?!) and through it we gained identities.

The 05/06 year was the hardest of my life. I graduated from college, was teaching in the inner-city in the mid-Atlantic and failing, trying to do a long-distance relationship. Sometimes the only thing that felt consistent in my life was the team, especially with it's additional Spokane roots. As Morrison cried at center court, I was wandering the streets of Baltimore crying too. I didn't know how to deal with the loss probably because I didn't know how to deal with my life. Were things really supposed to turn out this way, be this tough?

This year has been so sweet. This year has been about perspective. As I get older I know there will be disappointments and ruts, but it is how you bounce back that shows your true character. Whether it is Josh or Micah as individuals embodying this or the team as a whole after the December stretch, a resilient maturity was demonstrated that I have learned from. In a sport where only one team ends their year with a win, it is how you reflect and move forward that defines you. I could not be more proud of this year's team. I will take the lessons I have learned from them and it with me always.

I also want to thank the team for giving me the excuse to call my dad in the middle of the day and talk 5 minutes Zags/25 minutes life (or is it all life?), to teach my mom how to text (and get messages like PARRGOOOO that are delayed my at least a minute), to reconnect with old friends (what up Kirby), and share a part of who I am with my new friends in a new city.

Thanks. I am looking forward to enjoying, learning, and growing in 09-10.

jazzdelmar
03-28-2009, 07:05 AM
Awesome perception....it is all about connection, reconnection, renewal and joy, isn't it, this love of Zag hoops? You have said it as well as is conceivably possible. My Zag love gives me an opportunity, maybe an excuse, to chat w my sons on end.....and I hope someday I will inculcate my grandsons in this marvelous, unusual obsession we share. Go Zags!

Reborn
03-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Thank you for the wonderful post. Your words have touched my heart, and help me let the tears fall down my cheeks. It's really hard to explain why we feel so deeply about this team, but your post has helped me. It would be hard to explain to someone who doesn't know how we feel about the Zags why we can grief so deeply after a loss that ends a season, and that ends the careers of a few young men that have deeply touched our lives while at Gonzaga U. Your post has helped me understand a little better.

I wish you the best in your new city as you create a new life for yourself. You obviously come from a very solid background, and are deeply grounded in the spirit of Gonzaga University. It will help you always as you march forward. Something tells me you're going to do just fine.

bballbeachbum
03-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Much appreciated perspective Teach. You're not alone how you feel, just another great part of being a Zag.

I love this team, too.

375RGRZAG
03-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

I too hail from LCHS in Spokane, have watched the Zags play in all sorts of places, and have experienced similar ups and downs. It is interesting in a psychological sort of way as to how we strap our emotions to the fate of a team whose performance we have zero control over.

On a happier note, I fondly recall watching the 2003 Zags defeat No. 3 Missouri whilst based in a remote outpost in the Middle East. The game was on at 1:00 a.m. local time and me and some KBR guy from Post Falls (the only two people watching) cheering the team to victory.

Best of luck, nice post, and nice job 2008-2009 Zags.

GonzagaDynasty
03-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Great Posts, guys!! This program has been a huge part of my life over the last 15 years as well. Especially the last 11, obviously. I've cheered with Calvary, Cried with Morrison, and punched holes in my wall with morrison (will remain a hole until we make it to the final 4), and again, cheered with Meech. As this team goes, I go. Every year we come up short, but Im still always very proud of them. In a few months, we'll be extremely excited for the 09-10 season, and Gonzaga basketball, will once again, be back on top.

GO ZAGS!

NontradZag
03-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Great post. I woke up this morning, and I felt sadness. I wondered aloud if I should even check into the boards. Is it worth it? It is only going to bring back the sadness I felt last night. It takes me a little while to process gratefulness and appreciation. I truly go through the 'process' and right now, it is the lump in my throat. I am going to miss the guys. This team.

jazzdelmar
03-28-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't post much but I read often. Probably too often.

I just want to thank the team, especially Andrew, Ira, Jeremy, Josh, and Micah, for a great year and for great careers of dedication, renewal, passion...

Each year means something different to all of us. It is hard to believe that in the 10 years since 99 I have gone from a high school junior at LC to a professional on the other side of the country. But the Zags have been a constant in the changes of my (our) lives and I want to thank them for always being there.

I remember the early years with a blissful youth. I dont think the program or I knew what was in store for us in the coming years. Excitement and hope carried us to places we weren't sure we were supposed to be (3 straight Sweet16s/ college in Virginia?!?!) and through it we gained identities.

The 05/06 year was the hardest of my life. I graduated from college, was teaching in the inner-city in the mid-Atlantic and failing, trying to do a long-distance relationship. Sometimes the only thing that felt consistent in my life was the team, especially with it's additional Spokane roots. As Morrison cried at center court, I was wandering the streets of Baltimore crying too. I didn't know how to deal with the loss probably because I didn't know how to deal with my life. Were things really supposed to turn out this way, be this tough?

This year has been so sweet. This year has been about perspective. As I get older I know there will be disappointments and ruts, but it is how you bounce back that shows your true character. Whether it is Josh or Micah as individuals embodying this or the team as a whole after the December stretch, a resilient maturity was demonstrated that I have learned from. In a sport where only one team ends their year with a win, it is how you reflect and move forward that defines you. I could not be more proud of this year's team. I will take the lessons I have learned from them and it with me always.

I also want to thank the team for giving me the excuse to call my dad in the middle of the day and talk 5 minutes Zags/25 minutes life (or is it all life?), to teach my mom how to text (and get messages like PARRGOOOO that are delayed my at least a minute), to reconnect with old friends (what up Kirby), and share a part of who I am with my new friends in a new city.

Thanks. I am looking forward to enjoying, learning, and growing in 09-10.

This post is worth praising twice....Implicit in the post are the reasons we are all Zag fans, and why this board -- warts and all -- is a special place to spend some time........................

Bulldog
03-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Thanks to all, not just the team and coaches, but also to those that start and post threads like this. I also spend a lot of time reading here and all in all it is good stuff. All the information a Zag fan could ever want and more.

Zag basketball really helps get me through the long winters here in the Northwest and is actually a large part of my social life during this time of year.
I believe Gonzaga basketball is very inspirational to thousands of people everywhere and gives us memories to cherish and the hope of greater achievements in the future.

Go Zags!!!!!!!!!!!