PDA

View Full Version : Not that i'm over being out - But need something to look ahead to- next years team

Saxon_zag
03-28-2009, 02:12 AM
What are we looking at in terms of starters, next season can't come soon enough as it will be really interesting to see a lot of new comers find their place.. i'm up at 3 AM still thinkin about this stuff so figured may as well make a post

Here's my guesses
pg- Demetri Goodson
sg- Matt Bouldin
sf- Bol Kong (this is up in the air i know but if everything i read has been true and he ends up being here as said)
pf - Austin Daye
C- Rob Sacre

or does Steven start in front of Kong? but that ends up being quite a small line-up...

then we just have a ton of freshmen
Gibbs
Poling
Olynyk
Arop
Harris
Dower

Seems like you have to redshirt at least one out of that group, is that olynyk?

Also still have big will next year but part of me wonders if he will be back.. obviously at this point he is not in our long term plans and with a young team i almost feel as if we could use that schollie to bring in Victor Rudd or that Montreal kid from southern idaho but i'm not sure of their situations..

what do you all think? More informed minds, enlighten me :)

mainer6
03-28-2009, 06:38 AM
Is Harris going to be a Zag or is that speculation? I think Gray will be a strater next year.

bartruff1
03-28-2009, 08:04 AM
Gonzaga met my expectations for this year (actually a little bit better).. I suspect next years team will not be quite as good but still fun to watch.. maybe 22 wins...a trip to the dance....a 12 seed...hopefully a win in the first round...can't wait for the season to start....Bouldin, Daye, Gray, Meech, Sacre...and I pray, Few...

adoptedzag
03-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Is foster transferring?

HillBillyZag
03-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Too many folks speculating about who next years starters will be to suit me. I leave that to Coach Few. I do notice however that Grant Gibbs and Andy Poling are kind of overlooked by a lot of you. I have a feeling these two young men will end up having more effect on next years stats than one might believe.

bigblahla
03-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Too many folks speculating about who next years starters will be to suit me. I leave that to Coach Few. I do notice however that Grant Gibbs and Andy Poling are kind of overlooked by a lot of you. I have a feeling these two young men will end up having more effect on next years stats than one might believe.

HBZ, I agree. Gibbs and Poling will both contribute.

Go!! Zags!!!

Goshzagit
03-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Is Harris going to be a Zag or is that speculation? I think Gray will be a strater next year.

Good question Mainer. From what I've gathered, he has committed to Gonzaga, yet its far from being a done deal. My understanding is he still needs to be approved by the NCAA on his academic equivalents and also evaluate his participation in Pro-B leagues in Germany. From all accounts, Elias appears good to go, but certainly not guaranteed he'll be eligible by next season. Maybe BZ or others can provide more detailed information on his current status.

IdahoTJR
03-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Next year's team will be fun to watch as they develop. The Zags have only 4 players who played significant minutes in most games coming back. They should improve through out the season and be a far better team come tournament time than they will be as they run through the annual gauntlent of pre-conference games.

GonzagaDynasty
03-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Next year's team should be great. I think between Josh, Micah, and Jeremy, we lost a lot of headcases. ALthough I loved them, Sometimes they werent there mentally, mainly Josh.

Bouldin, Gray, Goodson, Daye, and Sacre is good enough for a top 25 ranking throughout the season, IMO, and the young guys will grow as the year progresses.

JAGzag
03-28-2009, 10:19 AM
What are we looking at in terms of starters, next season can't come soon enough as it will be really interesting to see a lot of new comers find their place.. i'm up at 3 AM still thinkin about this stuff so figured may as well make a post

Here's my guesses
pg- Demetri Goodson
sg- Matt Bouldin
sf- Bol Kong (this is up in the air i know but if everything i read has been true and he ends up being here as said)
pf - Austin Daye
C- Rob Sacre

or does Steven start in front of Kong? but that ends up being quite a small line-up...

then we just have a ton of freshmen
Gibbs
Poling
Olynyk
Arop
Harris
Dower

Seems like you have to redshirt at least one out of that group, is that olynyk?

Also still have big will next year but part of me wonders if he will be back.. obviously at this point he is not in our long term plans and with a young team i almost feel as if we could use that schollie to bring in Victor Rudd or that Montreal kid from southern idaho but i'm not sure of their situations..

what do you all think? More informed minds, enlighten me :)

Wow, that is a ton of youth. Here's to future memoires, patience and growing pains! At least we won't have to debat Final Four potential this off season! :D

GonzagaDynasty
03-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Will Harris and Kong make it to Spokane? Will Austin Daye be a Zag? What about Foster? Bouldin's a sure thing to come back, or is he? Is Coach Few going to be leaving for Oregon?

Im so nervous already....... Someone, fast forward me to November2009

mez124
03-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Andy Poling for PRESIDENT

He will be the MAN

Saxon_zag
03-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Will Harris and Kong make it to Spokane? Will Austin Daye be a Zag? What about Foster? Bouldin's a sure thing to come back, or is he? Is Coach Few going to be leaving for Oregon?

Im so nervous already....... Someone, fast forward me to November2009

I think yes they will make it to spokane. Austin would be a fool to leave after this season his stock probably went down to be honest. Foster i'm not sure. Bouldin should be a sure thing, you don't see many kids leave early to be a mid 2nd round pick. About few, lets hope not

primal23
03-28-2009, 12:24 PM

Wait we aren't speculating about whether Few will take another job? :p

CDC84
03-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Harris and Kong are Zags. Kong will be in Spokane in May. S-R ran a piece about Harris' visit and signing.

I hope that Rob Sacre has a complete, healthy recovery from his injury. I always worry about big men and foot injuries.

Demetri Goodson needs to shoot 3,000 jumpers a day, and 1,000 free throws a day. The Zags need him to shoot in the high 70's, minimum, from the foul line, and he needs some sort of long range shot so that defenses won't sag off of him. If he improves in these areas, Gonzaga is going to have some kind of point guard and on ball defender the next 3 years.

RenoZag
03-28-2009, 12:44 PM
At least we won't have to debate Final Four potential this off season! :D

Amen to that.

There was a lot of baggage that came with the high expectations this season.

CB4
03-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Gonzaga met my expectations for this year (actually a little bit better).. I suspect next years team will not be quite as good but still fun to watch.. maybe 22 wins...a trip to the dance....a 12 seed...hopefully a win in the first round...can't wait for the season to start....Bouldin, Daye, Gray, Meech, Sacre...and I pray, Few...

Wow you are basically already writing off next season? A 12 seed? We are Gonzaga, a school that is capable of doing serious damage year in, year out.

JohnOGU
03-28-2009, 03:05 PM
We will be better than a 12 seed for sure. A lot of people are underestimating the talent we will have. If all of these recruits played in the US, we would have a top 10 recruiting class, easily.

Kong and Harris will be here. I hear the staff is really high on Harris. I'm fairly certain Daye will be back just because its pretty obvious he isn't ready for the association.

I am really, REALLY looking forward to seeing Poling. If this kid can get back to ideal weight, he's going to be a star.

I'd say red-shirt olynyk.

Go Zags.

Saxon_zag
03-28-2009, 03:11 PM
YEah i was reading a pretty cool thing about olynyk although i can't find it now. Basically like over an offseason in high school he grew from like 6'4 to 6'10. That is why he still has all the point guard skills because that's what he always played. They say he went threw a huge growth spurt but didn't get clumsy like you would think, kept all his coordination perfectly.

NorthWestZag
03-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Going to be a lot of position battles. We do not know how good these guys really are, but I will make a few guesses...

STARTERS:

PG: Meech Goodson (SO)
SG: Matt Bouldin (SR)
SF: Steven Gray (JR)
PF: Austin Daye (JR)
C: Robert Sacre (SO)

BENCH ORDER:

6. Elias Harris (FR)
7. Bol Kong (FR)
8. Manny Arop (FR)
9. Sam Dower (FR)

GARBAGE MINUTES/REDSHIRT:

Will Foster
Grant Gibbs
Kelly O
Andy Poling

*Problem is we don't totally who is better than who out of the non-starting 5. We really have only seen Meech, Matt, Gray, Daye, Sacre, and Foster play in competitive college games. That is 6 guys we know, 7 guys that are in the unknown.

Who is a better guard between Harris, Arop, and Gibbs?

Who is a better forward between Kong, Dower, Foster, and Poling?

I am basing my projected starter/rotation based on what I have heard. But when these guys all show up and start playing against each other this summer, guys should start to distance themselves.

I just hope Few sticks to a solid 8 or 9 man rotation, and leaves it at that. This isnt that 3rd grade where everyone has to play.

bartruff1
03-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Wow you are basically already writing off next season? A 12 seed? We are Gonzaga, a school that is capable of doing serious damage year in, year out. Not writing it off at all...

jim77
03-28-2009, 04:51 PM
I think next year's lineup will look like this...

Meech PG
Bouldin SG
Daye SF
Poling/kong..PF
BIG ROB C

To me this team stiil has plenty of scorers yet, has good size down low with Poling,Sacre and Daye. I'll bet Andy and Rob will congregate around the hoop...and will dedicate themselves to CLEANING the boards. I would not be surprised to see next year's team have a bigger rebound advatage than this year's team.....or win a similiar number of games.

BobZag
03-28-2009, 05:10 PM
Going to be a lot of position battles. We do not know how good these guys really are, but I will make a few guesses...

STARTERS:

PG: Meech Goodson (SO)
SG: Matt Bouldin (SR)
SF: Steven Gray (JR)
PF: Austin Daye (JR)
C: Robert Sacre (SO)

BENCH ORDER:

6. Elias Harris (FR)
7. Bol Kong (FR)
8. Manny Arop (FR)
9. Sam Dower (FR)

GARBAGE MINUTES/REDSHIRT:

Will Foster
Grant Gibbs
Kelly O
Andy Poling

*Problem is we don't totally who is better than who out of the non-starting 5. We really have only seen Meech, Matt, Gray, Daye, Sacre, and Foster play in competitive college games. That is 6 guys we know, 7 guys that are in the unknown.

Who is a better guard between Harris, Arop, and Gibbs?

Who is a better forward between Kong, Dower, Foster, and Poling?

I am basing my projected starter/rotation based on what I have heard. But when these guys all show up and start playing against each other this summer, guys should start to distance themselves.

I just hope Few sticks to a solid 8 or 9 man rotation, and leaves it at that. This isnt that 3rd grade where everyone has to play.

Meech
Matt
Steven
Austin
Robert

That starting 5 alone could vie for the WCC Championship right there. Harris is a combo forward, ie, SF/PF, and he is real good, the staff is excited about him. Kong is a guard/wing at 6'5". Strongly built. And he's good, real good. Both of these guys are expected to have an impact.

skan72
03-28-2009, 05:19 PM
If Goodson steps up, as he will be the fastest/quickest player in D1 next year, and assumes the point guard responsibilities on top of Bouldin getting better again, we'll be okay. Those are two very talented backcourt mates, but our season in my opinion will hinge on Daye putting on some more muscle for next season and becoming the absolute stud he can be.

I feel Daye is going to have a "stache-esque" season, and if he does, we are going to go very far in the Dance. He has the potential to carry this team, and once he steps to the challenge this off-season, like he would have if he had had a complete off-season last year, he is going to ABSOLUTELY KILL IT.

You throw in Sacre, who is a big, tough body that we more or less lacked this year and then Gray, who we know work his tail off.

Gray is only going to get better and probably be another stud for us next year, I mean the kid has been a scorer on every level so far, from a freshman dropping in over 20 a game in high school, to dropping 27 in last year's NCAA tourney first round. Next year, he will step up and be a double digit scorer, one of three (Bouldin and Daye being the other two).

If you ask me, that starting line is just as talented as this year's, but better defensively! We still have shooters: Bouldin, Daye, Gray. Guys who can attack the rim: Bouldin, Gray, Daye, Goodson. Guys who can control the tempo: Bouldin and Goodson. Guys who can rebound: Bouldin, Sacre, Daye. Guys who WILL defend and love it: Goodson, Sacre. Etc.

Next year is going to be another BIG year for Gonzaga basketball.

Starting 5:

Sacre
Daye
Bouldin
Gray
Goodson

Bench time:
Gibbs
Poling
Arop
Kong
Dower

I imagine Kelly O will redshirt and beef up, and Will will get a few minutes here and there.

I'm not sure where to put Elias Harris, as I have never seen anything about him.

skan72
03-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Meech
Matt
Steven
Austin
Robert

That starting 5 alone could vie for the WCC Championship right there. Harris is a combo forward, ie, SF/PF, and he is real good, the staff is excited about him. Kong is a guard/wing at 6'5". Strongly built. And he's good, real good. Both of these guys are expected to have an impact.

Kong is 6'7", with a 7 foot wingspan. Maybe you are thinking of Arop, who is 6'5".

Das Zagger
03-28-2009, 09:44 PM
If you go to church tomorrow, give thanks for Steven Gray, he is a gamer. Gray showed glimpses this season and will solidify it next season.

Saxon_zag
03-28-2009, 11:19 PM
If Goodson steps up, as he will be the fastest/quickest player in D1 next year, and assumes the point guard responsibilities on top of Bouldin getting better again, we'll be okay. Those are two very talented backcourt mates, but our season in my opinion will hinge on Daye putting on some more muscle for next season and becoming the absolute stud he can be.

I feel Daye is going to have a "stache-esque" season, and if he does, we are going to go very far in the Dance. He has the potential to carry this team, and once he steps to the challenge this off-season, like he would have if he had had a complete off-season last year, he is going to ABSOLUTELY KILL IT.

You throw in Sacre, who is a big, tough body that we more or less lacked this year and then Gray, who we know work his tail off.

Gray is only going to get better and probably be another stud for us next year, I mean the kid has been a scorer on every level so far, from a freshman dropping in over 20 a game in high school, to dropping 27 in last year's NCAA tourney first round. Next year, he will step up and be a double digit scorer, one of three (Bouldin and Daye being the other two).

If you ask me, that starting line is just as talented as this year's, but better defensively! We still have shooters: Bouldin, Daye, Gray. Guys who can attack the rim: Bouldin, Gray, Daye, Goodson. Guys who can control the tempo: Bouldin and Goodson. Guys who can rebound: Bouldin, Sacre, Daye. Guys who WILL defend and love it: Goodson, Sacre. Etc.

Next year is going to be another BIG year for Gonzaga basketball.

Starting 5:

Sacre
Daye
Bouldin
Gray
Goodson

Bench time:
Gibbs
Poling
Arop
Kong
Dower

I imagine Kelly O will redshirt and beef up, and Will will get a few minutes here and there.

I'm not sure where to put Elias Harris, as I have never seen anything about him.

Arop in front of kong after all the talk and trouble went through to get him? IDK i have a feeling kong will be the first guy off the bench if not starting

Reborn
03-29-2009, 08:46 AM
The Zags will be good next year. They are always good. Why would next year be any different? We have guys returning with a lot of experience. If Austin returns I think we have a very good season. If not a good season. I hope Austin returns, because from what I saw in the game against North Carolina (which I thought was his best game this year), he will have a great year next year. I like Austin, and I'd like to see him leave Gonzaga at the height of his collegiate career. I'd like to see him leave with a strong sense of pride, and a sense that he left something tremendous behind him at GU, for others to emulate, the way the other Gonzaga greats have done. For Austin to leave after a so so season, imo, is not the best way to leave. I feel Austin loves this team (the guys) and will come back.

I think Steven Gray is going to have a great year. We haven't come close to seeing the greatness that lies inside Steven. It will come out next year. We could have 3 great scorers in Austin, Matt and Steven. And with Meech running the show and distributing the ball, I think we will be as strong as ever offensively.

The key to success, imo is defense and rebounding. I bellieve we will be better at both. Pargo was not a good defensive player, and that hurt us a lot when we got to the better teams. And Josh was not a good rebounder at all. Sacre is a very good rebounder, and I am looking forward to him being in the mix next year.

I love watching Meech play, and I think he's going to have a good year next year. From what I could see he is faster and quicker than Lawson who was the fastest in the land. If Meech can average in double figures, say 10 ppg, we are set offensively.

How tough will we be? That was the question this year, and we were NOT tough enough to overcome the toughest teams in college hoops. I think Meech is tough, and I think Sacre is tough. From what I hear, Kong is tough. I think we will be tougher next year.

I think next year is a rebuilding year, but a good one. As they say, it's more reloading than rebuilding. If we can win one game in the NCAA tournament it will be a good year. If Austin has an outstanding year, scoring 23+ points per game, and Sacre develops into a solid post player, then we could return to the Sweet 16 and again have a great season.

ZagAddict
03-29-2009, 09:39 AM
My Top 5 for next year's Zags:

Mark Few
Leon Rice
Tommy Lloyd
Ray Giacoletti
Jerry Krause

It all begins with keeping this group together... the rest will fall into place.

mainer6
03-29-2009, 01:43 PM
I think next year will be great because the weight of expectation will be less

mainer6
03-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Next year will be great because the weight of expectation will be less. Every bit of success will be a bonus, unlike this year when anything less than greatness was a let-down.

skan72
03-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Arop in front of kong after all the talk and trouble went through to get him? IDK i have a feeling kong will be the first guy off the bench if not starting

I did not put them in the order of playing time off the bench.