PDA

View Full Version : This is when we needed Sacre!

thibaulm
03-27-2009, 07:25 PM
It is showing now for the first time since the injury that we needed Robert to compete with the physical teams down low like UNC.

hls97
03-27-2009, 07:30 PM
I fear Robert would have fouled out against Hansbrough/Davis within 6 minutes!

zagbapi
03-27-2009, 07:37 PM
What exactly has Sacre done? Not much...what we need is a coach who knows how to switch out players at the right time!

g-ride
03-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Sacre might not have done much but he is a big body that we need down low.

ZagLawGrad
03-27-2009, 07:50 PM
We ran into a buzz saw tonight--even Rob wouldn't have helped

mainer6
03-27-2009, 08:04 PM
What exactly has Sacre done? Not much...what we need is a coach who knows how to switch out players at the right time!

Seriously? You are going to criticize Few at this point? That is weak. Few is the solution not the problem, and has been for ten years.

kclubfounder
03-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Zagbapi,

Thank you. I thought the game was the most dissapointing thing I would look at tonight. Then I read your post.

Wait. Maybe that isn't a good thing. Oh, Hell, whatever.

Here is one thing I know. Your analytical ability concerning college BBall is not good. I wanted to use a stronger term, but I didn't want to be edited.

Get a life dude.

And go back to the Huskies.

alaskazagnut
03-27-2009, 08:27 PM
You are correct that we needed Sacre, but not correct that this was the first time.

Weve needed him all year since UCONN. We would have beat PSU, Utah and Arizona. Memphis would have been a far closer game.

We lost momentum early by sloppy turnovers. Then we gave them the momentum again in the second half with missed shots and more turnovers.

Their defense is far better. Lawson was the ultimate difference.

MJ777
03-27-2009, 08:30 PM
We could have had Sacre, Aaron Baynes, Diamon Simpson and Spamham and we still would have lost. How many 3s did they hit?

CDC84
03-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Rob is a legit 5 man. He wants to be down low and battle with the bigs. Gonzaga just didn't have that true 5 man on this year's team. He provides low post presence. But he wouldn't have been enough tonight.

The reason why Gonzaga lost this game - in addition to UNC just being a better and more talented team - was turnovers. If other teams are as lazy with the basketball as Gonzaga was tonight, UNC will cruise to the national title. It is the number one thing that you can't do against them. It just fuels their transition game. It put Gonzaga in a hole that they couldn't get out of.

23dpg
03-27-2009, 08:34 PM
We needed Rob all year. I love Josh and I hope he gets a shot at the next level, but he had zero rebounds tonight. We need a banger and a big with glue hands.....(Batista)

thibaulm
03-27-2009, 08:36 PM
was this the first time our zags got into foul trouble that early in the first half?
i dont remember a game where we had to sit someone (pargo) for an extended period of time throughout the entire year

correct me if im wrong

thespywhozaggedme
03-27-2009, 08:36 PM
I fear Robert would have fouled out against Hansbrough/Davis within 6 minutes!

What he said. There's a lot of revisionist history in regards to Rob, I'll leave it at that. That being said, can't wait to see him next season.

MJ777
03-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I thought Daye played pretty good and grabbed a lot of boards. Am I wrong? I haven't looked at the stats.

lothar98zag
03-27-2009, 08:46 PM
was this the first time our zags got into foul trouble that early in the first half?
i dont remember a game where we had to sit someone (pargo) for an extended period of time throughout the entire year

correct me if im wrong
not gonna link games right now, but yeah 1st foul trouble has occured before this season. Daye, Downs, Josh, and probably more have all sat many minutes b4 half. Although this may have been the only 3 foul first half this year from a top 6 player...

and yes, I think Rob would have helped tonight. But even if he'd played the whole season, UNC didn't look like they were going to lose against anyone tonight.

GonzagaLove
03-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Turnovers killed us tonight.

btzag
03-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Sacre would have helped tonight but really would not have tipped the balance at all. UNC was just that good tonight, firing on all cylinders from inside and out and honestly I don't think they had a single player play poorly from 1-10 in their rotation. Just a perfect game from that group.

My opinion is that we got killed at the 4 position tonight. I know Daye accumulated some boards over the course of the game but frankly he got beat badly which made Downs play many minutes at that position. Then when Downs moved over he battled but we were then crushed at the 3 position. Thought Heytvelt held his own but combine a beating inside with over 50% on 3's...and you have the result we saw.

I know it's stupid to look ahead at this point but I'm hoping the group of Sacre/Foster/Poling at the 5 and Daye/Dower at the 4 can provide better results and depth in the frontcourt next year. Going to be tough to replace Heytvelt and his versatility though...

MDABE80
03-27-2009, 09:00 PM
TO's were brutal. That 20 pt victory was the points claimed due to turnovers. Amazing statistic. But.truth be know.ROb's starting fresh.. No amount of "Rob's" would help Josh tonight as Josh had ZERO rebounds. ZERO.

Wild when you think about it. Points off turns and we lost the boards 40-28 with Josh getting ZERO rebounds. Just can't win with those two glaring stats.
lol the best thing is that UNC didn't hang 100 pts on us. I was worried about that number because I've been with this team for decades and can't remember anyone putting up 100 on us.

MJ777
03-27-2009, 09:04 PM
TO's were brutal. That 20 pt victory was the points claimed due to turnovers. Amazing statistic. But.truth be know.ROb's starting fresh.. No amount of "Rob's" would help Josh tonight as Josh had ZERO rebounds. ZERO.
Wild when you think about it. Points off turns and we lost the boards 40-28 with Josh getting ZERO rebounds. Just can't win with those two glaring stats.
lol the best thing is that UNC didn't hang 100 pts on us. I was worried about that number because I've been with this team for decades and can't remember anyone putting up 100 on us.

Tough way to end a great season for Josh. :confused: The ball must have avoided him for the most part because getting zero rebounds is hard to do even for the shortest of guards.

lothar98zag
03-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Tough way to end a great season for Josh. :confused: The ball must have avoided him for the most part because getting zero rebounds is hard to do even for the shortest of guards.
It wasn't like Josh didn't try to get a board...I think a zag or two took at least one board out of his hands...a few different bounces and maybe he has 2 or 3 boards, but getting 10 wasn't gonna happen tonight. especially when UNC shoots 75% or whatever...

ZagsGoZags
03-27-2009, 09:14 PM
I think maybe Coach Few had Josh drifting out to the perimeter all night for a reason. Maybe it opened up lanes for our offense. JH seemed to seldom be getting rebounding position when our guys shot. The rest of our team rebounded a lot, it seemed, relatively speaking. It is hard to believe it is all over. Go Josh in the pros, I hope you get in the NBA in a way that you like.

zagman1111
03-27-2009, 09:15 PM
We got killed tonight. Men vs. boys. I guess the real difference between the WCC and the ACC comes to light.

I wonder if Few is getting frustrated that he's never gotten as far as Monson. Few hasn't made an Elite 8. Ever. Even with more talent.

MJ777
03-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah Few should go to Oregon where they are perenial winners!! ;)

MDABE80
03-27-2009, 09:28 PM
lol "zagman" who do yu think got monson to the e8? The same guys on the bench running the show at GU for the past 10 years. silly thoughts abound.

2wiceright
03-27-2009, 10:34 PM
lol "zagman" who do yu think got monson to the e8? The same guys on the bench running the show at GU for the past 10 years. silly thoughts abound.

Right on Abe! I think you meant Morrison (spelling) instead of Monson :o

asoc
03-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Would it have been nice to have a fully fit and healthy Sacre? YES!!!

But he was injured most of the year. Bringing him in for the last few games of the season wouldn't have helped much if at all. He is not in game shape and the team has been playing without him for most of the year.

MickMick
03-28-2009, 02:53 AM
Rob is a legit 5 man. He wants to be down low and battle with the bigs. Gonzaga just didn't have that true 5 man on this year's team. He provides low post presence. But he wouldn't have been enough tonight.

The reason why Gonzaga lost this game - in addition to UNC just being a better and more talented team - was turnovers. If other teams are as lazy with the basketball as Gonzaga was tonight, UNC will cruise to the national title. It is the number one thing that you can't do against them. It just fuels their transition game. It put Gonzaga in a hole that they couldn't get out of.

QFT

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.

It was predictable going all the way back to last season. People want to talk about defense, or a post presence, or a variety of other reasons, but turnovers were the ultimate demise of the team and a few of us made that call long ago.

cjm720
03-28-2009, 09:06 AM
What no links proving your point Mick?

MickMick
03-28-2009, 10:11 AM
What no links proving your point Mick?

Here is a link (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=130&f=1070&t=3237388)from past December. Is that far enough back for you?

From that thread:

Although I agree that the Zags have historically needed better defense, I don't take it to the extreme that ABE does. That Morrison led team was good enough to get to the final. Certainly not good enough to beat Florida. They lost a tough game that UCLA was fortunate to pull out of the fire.

For every argument about the Zag defense, one can point to critical turnovers (offensive problems) that took place in the final 3 minutes of that UCLA game.

There really is no argument about the Zag defense last season. It was the best defense the team has played in the Few era. In reality, it was the offense that often failed the team last season. I expect the defense to be even better this season. Indeed, I am much more concerned about team ball handling (offensive problem) than defense.

The poor defense label is a tag that the Zags have worn for a few years now. People that don't closely follow the team will use that tag regardless of how well the Zags are playing defense. It is a stereotype that is both understandable and not true for this year's team. They won't be reknown for great defense, but it certainly will not be major liability either.

Now if one wants to bring up the topic of turnovers..............

Not a bad call....for December

Hextall7388
03-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Sacre would have helped, but the reason for the loss last night goes way beyond one player. UNC was, and is, that much better. The Zags just did not have an answer for them defensively. They have too many weapons.

Now we know what the rest of the WCC teams must feel like when they play the Zags!!

Any word on whether his foot is 100% yet? Is it one of those freak injuries that is going to always be an issue? I'd hate to see him encounter the same problems Josh had with his feet.

bballbeachbum
03-28-2009, 02:01 PM
would have been great to have Rob, all year. he's hurt.

SUSpokanative
03-28-2009, 02:03 PM
My best to Josh. I know that this has been just as painful to him as to us fans. He never wanted to play the post as it needs to be played.This painful game, with zero rebounds from our big,will be felt for awhile. Daye played pretty well , but I think he plays to not get hurt while at G.U. waitng for the opportune time to make the NBA jump. Rob will help, but staff really need to recruit some depth at this position. We have been playing to not foul out - why? Because we have nobody with skills to come in and play inside.

I'm looking at a second or third place team in the WCC next season..

montanazag88
03-28-2009, 02:14 PM
This talk about Sacre is more about a big man / men than anything. Sacre would not have won this game. Think of it this way, if the Zags had two more big men in the middle, but no one coach on the bench requiring that he rebound or be benched....what in the h... does it matter. Also, our perimeter defense has been an issue for how many years now? That's coaching folks. Make no mistake...Mark Few is Gonzaga, but that means Gonzaga is Mark Few & co.. It's up to him to teach rebounding and defense - these are not talents....but required developments of major programs. You either play defense and rebound or you find a mid-major program to do what you want on the floor until the NBA comes calling.

BobZag
03-28-2009, 03:09 PM
My best to Josh. I know that this has been just as painful to him as to us fans. He never wanted to play the post as it needs to be played.This painful game, with zero rebounds from our big,will be felt for awhile. Daye played pretty well , but I think he plays to not get hurt while at G.U. waitng for the opportune time to make the NBA jump. Rob will help, but staff really need to recruit some depth at this position. We have been playing to not foul out - why? Because we have nobody with skills to come in and play inside.

I'm looking at a second or third place team in the WCC next season..

I'm looking at a first place team in the WCC next season.

CDC84
03-28-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm looking at 1st place in the WCC next season as well.

Zags have way more talent than everyone else. It's the same thing every year. Zags will have guys coming off the bench who could start for every other team within the league.

alaskazagnut
03-28-2009, 05:03 PM
No he meant monson not morrison.

Monson was in a good position during the Elite 8 run. He only carried the torch that was lit by Dan Fitzgerald. Few, Monson, Fitz, and even Fr. Tony Lehman had huge influences on our success.

Thanks goes to God, our school's athletic program, and our coaching staff during the 90's. The players followed the vision and the discipline of our coaches.

That needs to happen now. It will for years to come as long as Few continues to carry that torch.