PDA

View Full Version : How do you compete against that?

Zerogame
03-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Conversation this morning about coaches leaving for the Kentucky job. Jay Wright's name came up and the talking head said he will have 7 McDonald All-Americans on next year's team, meaning he has 5 now I believe. shows again how Gonzaga does it with less talent year after year.

30 minutes after the first post

I just read this mornings paper and see that North Carolina has 8 burger boys on this years squad. Isn't Downs Gonzaga's one and only all time?

cjm720
03-27-2009, 11:31 AM
If Billy G does get axed, I'd bet on Bill D of Florida.

bartruff1
03-27-2009, 12:10 PM
If Billy G does get axed, I'd bet on Bill D of Florida. He did...he will

Nevtelen
03-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Conversation this morning about coaches leaving for the Kentucky job. Jay Wright's name came up and the talking head said he will have 7 McDonald All-Americans on next year's team, meaning he has 5 now I believe. shows again how Gonzaga does it with less talent year after year.

30 minutes after the first post

I just read this mornings paper and see that North Carolina has 8 burger boys on this years squad. Isn't Downs Gonzaga's one and only all time?

GU does an amazing job finding talent. While it is clear, often, when a certain player is just head-and-shoulders above the pack, it's not always so cut-and-dried. ids develop or don't develop beyond HS. In a lot of ways, the McD's thing is as political as it is an acknowledgement of talent. Daye, for example, could have easily been a burger boy. It is amazing how GU consistently puts such a great squad on the floor without anything near the star-ratings recruiting-wise that many other big-time programs get. GU's next class will be no exception.

In a nutshell, it's not just the talent you get. It's how you mesh and develop it. GU is amazing at the latter (and still gets some pretty freakin' good players, no question).

applezag
03-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I am convinced that being a McDonald's All-America does not necessarily make you a future Tar Heel, Blue Devil, Bruin, etc., but that being a future Tar Heel, Blue Devil, Bruin, etc. often makes you a McDonald's All-America.

UncleJam
03-27-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't believe t player's status as a McDonald's All American is a true benchmark of his status amongst other high schoolers across the country. All too often, it is more about who a kid is signed with, rather than how his talent compares with other players across the country. Granted, there is some top level talent, but not necessarily the very best the high school ranks have to offer.

thespywhozaggedme
03-27-2009, 01:00 PM
This years senior class at Duke were almost all Mickey D's guys and were rated as one of the top recruiting classes ever. That class consisted of Greg Paulus, Lance Thomas, Eric Boateng, Jamal Boykins and Josh McRoberts. Anyone who doesn't believe that rankings are a popularity contest, allow the previous list to be exhibit A.

ZagNative
03-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I am convinced that being a McDonald's All-America does not necessarily make you a future Tar Heel, Blue Devil, Bruin, etc., but that being a future Tar Heel, Blue Devil, Bruin, etc. often makes you a McDonald's All-America.Very nice!