PDA

View Full Version : Dower wins again

23dpg
03-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Here is a box score.

http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/upload/MSHSL2205086aaaa.htm

23dpg
03-26-2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/41954687.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:a ULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Osseo plays for the state title on Saturday. Good luck Sam.

kitzbuel
03-26-2009, 08:30 PM
The dude just piles up double doubles.

speed21
03-27-2009, 08:02 AM
I went the game to watch Sam play. I am going to start by saying that it was one of the most quite 20 pts 10 reb games I have seen in a long time. Sam has all the tools to be a great college basketball ball player. He has unbelievably soft hands. His teammates didn't throw one good post pass to him all night and Sam was grabbing the ball like he had glue on his hands. He has a really good touch around the basket and pretty good mid range jump shot. I would also like to know his wing span, it looks like it is about 7' 3''. And with that he can flat out rebound.

However, what I noticed is that Sam is very raw. He needs to be way more aggressive especially when he is by far the best player on the court. Also I would like to see Sam become more physical, last night he was up against a guy who was 6' 5" and 260lbs and Sam was getting pushed around a little around the basket. Also Sam needs to take his time once he gets the ball in the block. Last night he would get the ball and turn around and shoot the ball like he was up against a shot blocker. He needs to get the ball and read the defensive before making his move and go up strong. The last thing is that I would of love to see Sam demand the ball because there would be five trips down the court where he didn't touch the ball. Sam is a very quite person on the court.

Like I said I believe Sam is very raw, but by my judgements all of Sam's weaknesses are all things that can be easily fixed by Few's staff. He is going to be awesome. Saturday will be a good telling for us on how far along Sam really is when they face a Hopkins team that starts 5 division one recruits (inluding 6'8" and 6' 7" players who are much bigger than Sam and are going to Notre Dame and Minnesota). That team is just sick.

At one point during the game last night, a fan yelled something about North Carolina and I couldn't hear what it was, I wish I could of heard that. I am sure it was something " Hey Sam, too bad you aren't playing for the Zags tomorrow so you can kick some Heels @#$." :D

Sam is going to make a great Zag, he is all about the team and not about himself.

BobZag
03-27-2009, 08:39 AM
speed, will you be at the title game Saturday?

Thanks for the report.

speed21
03-27-2009, 08:47 AM
No but I will be definetly be watching it on local T.V. I will try to give another report! Let me say this if Osseo wins, it will be considered easily the biggest upset of the year in Minnesota high school basketball I believe. The Hopkins team they Osseo is facing is being talked about one of the best high school teams to ever to play in Minnesota. I am hoping Sam and his teammates will step up there game and shut Hopkins up. No one likes Hopkins because they are believed to recruit players.

I predict Sam goes for 34 and 16 and the get the title! I really hope I am right!

Baldwinzag
03-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I also had the pleasure of attending last night's game to watch Sam in person. It was my fifth time seeing Sam this year and I found myself cheering intensely for Osseo to win. It seems I've adopted Osseo as my official High School team to root for and I owe much of that to Sam. :D

Speed's report of the game was spot on, so nothing much to add. I will say from the games I've seen Sam play, he had his worst effort of the season. Its amazing though, because he still posted a double-double and led his team to the State Championship final. The real test will be on Saturday as Sam and Company will be facing one of the best, if not the best, HS team in the nation. They have three Top-150 recruits on ONE team.

As most of you know from previous reports, I love Sam's game and firmly believe he's going to be a fantastic Zag and a tremendous post player in College. He's still in a work in progress, but so is nearly every post prospect at the HS level. It seems like they just don't teach post defense or rebounding fundamentals. As his stats suggest, Sam is very talented on the offensive end and I am confident he'll make himself known and providing a significant impact by the time he's a Soph at GU. As Spot eluded to and what I mentioned yesterday, Sam's defense is very suspect and he just doesn't exert much effort to defend players much smaller and less talented than him. I think his coach wants him to stay out of foul trouble and this may be part of the problem.

Sam has the ability to dominate on offense and even defense at the next level, especially with his soft touch, awareness around the hoop, and a left handed hook that no one can guard. He has great habits and can be very crafty/instinctful in the post. A refreshing trait Sam possesses is how quick he begins his post moves...the moment he touches the ball, he makes his move. That said, it willl be interesting to see what Sam can do with guards that know how to pass into the post. Unfortunately, Osseo's guards are quick and can penetrate well, but they are the laziest post passers. Sam attempted 16 shots and he probably only touched the ball 5 times from assists. He mostly had to get put-backs, rebounds, or be wide-open to score last night.

Thanks for the report Speed, it was a great game to attend last night. I'm planning on going to the Championship game on Saturday as well. Now that I'm committed, I feel compelled to cheer on Osseo and Dower to win State!!

BobZag
03-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Looking forward to hearing about Sam and the big game Saturday. Thanks, BaldwinZ.

azzagfan
03-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Strengths during last night's game:
- Touch
- Jump Hook
- Long arms
- 15-17 foot range
As mentioned above, the tools are definitely there.

Areas to work on:
- Motor (intensity level seemed low last night)
- Emotion (you would not have known this game was to determine who would play in the State Championship)
- Strength (got muscled around, but I'll give him credit that the opposition is a D-1 football kid who has committed to Minnesota)

I see huge upside for him. Next year, there will be some growing pains, but he's got all the tools.

The State Championship game will be tough as he's going to get double teamed by several guys with D-1 talent that are nearly as tall. He'll have a tough time touching the rock.

azzagfan
03-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Also, Zag fans anywhere can stream the video of the game live tomorrow night at http://kstc45.com/article/11343/

ZagNative
03-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Bumping as a reminder to me to watch the game tonight. The time is 8:00. I assume that's central time, so game time in Spokane is 6:00 pm?

In the meantime, here's a great shot of Sam after the win over Bloomington Jefferson to advance to tonight's finals against Hopkins.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2009%20Recruits/Sam%20Dower/2009-03-26SamDowerBloomingtonJeffer.jpg

Good Luck, Sam!

Edited to add: Ooops! Looks like that website is pay-per-view. That's a bit spendy for my pitiful DSL connection. I think I'll listen to the game here (http://www.meridix.com/everywhere.php?liveid=Msbnchannel1):

Saxon_zag
03-28-2009, 12:10 PM
is this game televised on fsn like the washington state ones are? BEcause if so i may be able to watch it on my t.v. as with directtv i get all the regional fsn's.. anyone know?

MDABE80
03-28-2009, 12:56 PM
IF.......MHSAA means Minnesota High School Basketball FInals, it's on at 5 pm on Direct TV 664. FSDa would mean ? Not sure if it's Missouri, Mississippi, Michigan, Miami....doesn't say.

azzagfan
03-28-2009, 07:18 PM
This game was far closer than anyone thought it would be, but Osseo eventually fell by 10, 69-59. Sam rebounded and defended well, but as expected, it was very difficult for him to get the ball in the post. He looked much more involved tonight in the game and I was more impressed with him tonight than the first time I saw him. I think we got a good one in Sam.

azzagfan
03-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Also, Sam finished with 15 pts, 16 rebs and probably at least 6 blocks that I can recall.

SageOfZagville
03-28-2009, 11:01 PM
4A boys basketball: A royal coronation
Hopkins joined the ranks of Minnesota legend with a perfect season and the 4A title. The team credited a trip to New York for the push to the summit.

By David LaVeque, Star Tribune

Hopkins seniors Trent Lockett and Marcus Williams said the team’s mid-February trip to the Big Apple and
79-65 victory against Thomas Jefferson High provided a break from pressures at home.

“It was a turning point,” Lockett said. “It was a good experience to play well and bond with teammates.”

It led to the pinnacle, a 69-59 victory against a spirited Osseo team in Saturday’s Class 4A championship game at Target Center. The Royals (31-0) won their fourth title in eight seasons.

Fans and observers pre-ordained Hopkins and its starting roster of four Division I players to win it all. Critics panned the team for allowing four of its starters to migrate from other communities. But the Royals rose above it all to claim the championship and take their place among the greatest teams in state history.

“I think everything that was said brought us together,” Lockett said. “And we finished it off.”

Royce White led the Royals with 20 points on Saturday. Mike Broghammer posted 11 points and 13 rebounds. D.J. Peterson and Marvin Singleton combined for 13 points off the bench.

A Broghammer jumper gave Hopkins a 56-49 lead with less than seven minutes remaining. The Royals defense made the lead hold up, sapping time off the clock by forcing the Orioles to work deep into possessions.

“We wanted to make sure we were grinding them,” Broghammer said.

Osseo’s John Rowland made five three-pointers and finished with 17 points. Sam Dower scored 15 points and pulled down 16 rebounds.

SageOfZagville
03-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Sounds like Sam ran into a buzz-saw

If Hopkins isn’t the state's best team ever, it's in the discussion
By JOHN MILLEA, Star Tribune

The debate has been settled. End of discussion. Pencils down.

The Hopkins Royals are the best high school basketball team in Minnesota history.

The unbeaten, untied and often-untested Royals closed out a 31-0 season by defeating Osseo 69-59 Saturday night at Target Center, capturing the school’s fourth state championship since 2002. As has been the case all season, they did it with ferocious defense, physical play and solid preparation.

The Royals wore T-shirts during warmups that read “Dynasty,” and that might have been a stretch for a team that did not reach the state tournament the past two years. But there is no doubting their single-season superiority.

“I think they have to rank among the best, and they might be the greatest team ever,” Osseo coach Tim Theisen said. “They’re so strong at every position, and they come at you in waves. They physically wore us down.”

Hopkins coach Ken Novak Jr. said: “We’re glad to be considered among the best ever. We are the only undefeated team in 4A history, and I think we should be considered, but it’s hard to compare eras.”

The “best ever” argument probably extends to the Khalid El-Amin-led Minneapolis North teams that won state titles in 1995, 1996 and 1997. And some fans will go back to the Edina teams that captured championships in 1966, 1967 and 1968, compiling a record of 79-1. But for one-year domination, the Royals are king.

It’s been more than 10 years since those North teams reigned, and boys’ basketball in Minnesota is much deeper and stronger now. For an expert opinion, you could have asked Gophers coach Tubby Smith, who sat at courtside Saturday watching one of his recruits.
The 6-7 Royce White has signed with the Gophers, 6-8 Mike Broghammer with Notre Dame, 6-4 Trent Lockett with Arizona State and 6-4 Raymond Cowels with Santa Clara. The fifth Hopkins starter, 5-11 Marcus Williams, is also expected to sign a Division I basketball letter of intent after considering playing college football.

Osseo, the third-seeded team in the state tournament, did not go quietly or easily. The Orioles kept pace with the up-and-down-the-court Royals, were strong on the glass and defended well. After Hopkins opened the second half with a 7-0 run to lead by 11, the Orioles (29-3) answered with a 10-2 run of their own.

All season long, Hopkins has worn opponents down with its strength, speed and a bench that’s deeper than state budget cuts. The Royals didn’t get the better of the unrelenting Orioles by much, to be sure, but a perfect season is a perfect season.

Which brings us to what everyone talks about when Hopkins is mentioned. Yes, it is a fact that lots of basketball players over the years have open-enrolled at Hopkins or moved into the district. And it’s a fact that lots of people believe some of them were recruited. Beyond that discussion might be a spot where fact and rumor meet, but I have not been able to locate that spot.

That subject was part of a major story about the Hopkins basketball program that I co-authored earlier this month, and to say it was an explosive topic would be quite the understatement. After that story went up on our website, comments from readers (122 of them) were posted on startribune.com for the next nine days. In this age of instant news and turn-the-page headlines, that is a remarkably long shelf life.

But high school sports, at its best, is about more than winning and losing and how either result came about. The greatest high school experiences are all about the journey, not the finish.

Every coach worth his salt cares about his players, present and past. The best current example of that at Hopkins is Anthony DiLoreto, a 7-footer who graduated last spring but has been part of the team throughout this season. He was headed for college basketball at Cal Poly before being arrested and charged for acting as the getaway driver in a Danbury, Wis., bank robbery last summer.

DiLoreto’s trial is scheduled for September. Throughout the basketball season, he has been with the Royals, practicing with their big men and sitting on the bench during games. There were people at Hopkins who squawked about this, but Novak didn’t back down from his support for his former player. DiLoreto was on the bench, as usual, Saturday night.

“All our players are part of the Hopkins team, and they will be forever,” Novak said.

As the final seconds wound down Saturday, the Hopkins student section chanted, “History! History! History!”

I don’t think they were saluting their favorite class.

Saxon_zag
03-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Sounds like quite a team that osseo played a respectable game with! Dower sounds like a double double machine over in minnesota...

I'd put the 07-08 ferris team against em :P

BobZag
03-29-2009, 10:22 AM
Also, Sam finished with 15 pts, 16 rebs and probably at least 6 blocks that I can recall.

This is an outstanding effort against a loaded team. Looks to me like the Zags get a much-needed infusion of points and rebounds next season and beyond.

Thanks, azzagfan.

ZagNative
03-29-2009, 10:44 AM
Box score from the game is here (http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/showgameinfo.asp?game=344237#GAME.BOX). Very nice effort by our man Sam, with 16 out of the team's total 38 rebounds and no turnovers.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2009%20Recruits/Sam%20Dower/2009-03-28SamDowerHopkinschampionsh.jpg

BobZag
03-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Simply outstanding.

ZagAddict
03-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Love the fact that Dower could log 36 minutes and put up 15pts and 16 boards... indicates he plays under control (only 3 PF's) :)

Looking forward to seeing Dower in a Zag uni next year.

BroncoZAG615
03-29-2009, 11:22 AM
http://tchoops.blogspot.com/2009/03/hopkins-finishes-deal-with-09-aaaa.html

Basically a running blog of the game. Just in case you wanted to know every little detail!

ZagNative
03-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Pics from the game:

Sam goes up for a shot in front of Mike Broghammer

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2009%20Recruits/Sam%20Dower/2009-03-28SamDowervHopkins2.jpg

Sam walks off the court after the loss as Mike Broghammer embraces Royce White

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2009%20Recruits/Sam%20Dower/2009-03-28SamDowervHopkins3.jpg

BobZag
03-29-2009, 02:04 PM
I wonder if Sam's wingspan is 7'. Must be close to it if it isn't.

HillBillyZag
03-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Can't wait for prctice. When Sacre,Poling, Dower and Foster go one on one at the five. Some of you are going to be for a big surprise.

gonzagulous
03-31-2009, 06:01 AM
Didn't see this one was posted... From the state quarterfinals. Sounds like Sam can play some good D.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/41866562.html

Apple Valley wasn't going to let Osseo center Sam Dower beat it offensively.

The 6-9 senior has grown accustomed to seeing double and triple teams. That doesn't prevent him from dominating on the defensive end of the court.

Dower was limited to his previous season low of 13 points in a 54-46 victory in the Class 4A quarterfinals Wednesday at Target Center. He came into the matchup averaging 24.6 points per game.

"It was getting frustrating," Dower said. "They did an exceptional job pushing me outside."

It was a different story on defense. The Gonzaga recruit had 10 rebounds (nine defensive) and five blocked shots.

"Sam doesn't let his offensive performance affect his defense," Osseo coach Tim Theisen said. "He is the consummate team player."

Also of note: Sam was named to the AP All-State Team. Congratulations Sam!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/42148282.html

CodeCobalt
03-31-2009, 06:25 AM
No but I will be definetly be watching it on local T.V. I will try to give another report! Let me say this if Osseo wins, it will be considered easily the biggest upset of the year in Minnesota high school basketball I believe. The Hopkins team they Osseo is facing is being talked about one of the best high school teams to ever to play in Minnesota. I am hoping Sam and his teammates will step up there game and shut Hopkins up. No one likes Hopkins because they are believed to recruit players.

I predict Sam goes for 34 and 16 and the get the title! I really hope I am right!

Off subject a bit... but speaking of high schools recruiting...

I recently visited a uncle down in Alabama who was the *baker* for one small town. this past year his son entered high-school.... a 6'6 225 pound kid with an unbelievable arm... Anyways, his dad the *baker*, got offered a job as a *baker* in another small town, double the pay, free house, and 2 cars.... All so his son can play football for their team instead....

freakin insanity.

BobZag
03-31-2009, 09:05 AM
Didn't see this one was posted... From the state quarterfinals. Sounds like Sam can play some good D.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/41866562.html

Also of note: Sam was named to the AP All-State Team. Congratulations Sam!

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/42148282.html

Music to my ears, er, eyes.

skan72
03-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Can't wait for prctice. When Sacre,Poling, Dower and Foster go one on one at the five. Some of you are going to be for a big surprise.

What is this surprise you speak of? Or are you going to leave it as one?