PDA

View Full Version : First 5 minutes of the game ...

ZagInTexas
03-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Will be the most important of the game and determine who wins this game. I'm positive UNC players and coaches have been repeatedly asked about Gonzaga beating them two years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a chip on their shoulder, even though they are a 1 seed. Zags need to bring the energy and emotion in the first 5 mins. Go Zags!

Saxon_zag
03-26-2009, 03:15 PM
Last game unc did start it off up 10-0 at msg.

229SintoZag
03-26-2009, 03:44 PM
At one point in the last game, UNC was up 14-2.

Gonzaga won 84-72.

In other words, we went on a 82-58 run and won it.

I actually expect the Zags to start slow and be down at least 10 points early. The Zags have started slow all year and are very much a second half team. The one exception I can think of is the very start of the game at Santa Clara.

The Zags will win if they can avoid foul trouble for Daye and Heytfelt, if our guards can do something to contain Lawson, and if Bouldin plays up to his potential.

And if the ball bounces their way.

Because of the frenetic pace of this game I don't see either team blowing the other out.

jim77
03-27-2009, 12:52 AM
I agree with ya on the first 5 minutes.

It will tell us real quick if we are overmatched physically. If NC is easily able to get into their transiton game. Then we will be in trouble. If they can't, then it means we are able to make them play our game to a point. NC to me is not really a grind it out type team.

I still think MEECH is gonna have a big game....for his defense as much as his offense.

GUinSTL
03-27-2009, 06:35 AM
i hope the team watched my 'Nova boys dismantle Dook on both ends of the court for a full 40 minutes. that was intensity, hustle, desire, execution, foot on the throat, full tilt basketball.
THAT'S what we need, and the big bad ACC will fall again.

GO ZAGS!
~B

malmer7
03-27-2009, 08:04 AM
sure, the first 5 minutes are very important, it's important that we don't get down by 8-10 pts during that stretch and start panicking.
ideally, after the first 5 minutes, i think we want it to be tight - maybe 12-10 with us making easy buckets and them getting some lucky 3's or something. if this tourney has shown us anything, it's that you've got to play tough for 32 minutes while having enough for the stretch run.
until last night, so many underdogs jumped out to early leads and then had the momentum snatched by the deeper/stronger team in the 4th quarter of the game. EVERY point counts in this one - so if we can just keep taking it one possession at a time, and limit their fast breaks we'll do just fine.