PDA

View Full Version : After the zags, who are you pulling for to win it all?

gozagswoohoo
03-26-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm gonna say either Oklahoma or Pitt...

CB4
03-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Memphis.

webspinnre
03-26-2009, 10:59 AM
The Tigers for me as well.

zagsmyboys
03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Okay so on my pole I have Zags going to final 4 but I have Memphis winning the tourney. :o

cjm720
03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Memphis then UConn.

gu03alum
03-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Is there anyone else?

gozagswoohoo
03-26-2009, 11:02 AM
I should have added Memphis to my list. I think it'd be great to see a freshman lead them to a NC.

rawkmandale
03-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Nope - just Memphis. I suppose I would root for Arizona if neither GU or Memphis were in the FF, and they survived to the FF. I'd consider Xavier, as well - same condition.

FuManShoes
03-26-2009, 11:05 AM
I guess I need Pitt over UConn -- put money on Pitt in Vegas and bought UConn in an auction. Then again I have Louisville in several pools ... what I do not have is UNC winning the whole shebang. GU, make me proud!

gmo
03-26-2009, 11:09 AM
all about Memphis for a lot of reasons... GU - Memphis Finals!!

Also Arizona, always root for teams from the West.

Boo UConn. Shady program might finally be getting exposed like they should have a long time ago.

crockdaddy
03-26-2009, 11:15 AM
i've got pitt in my bracket, but i've recently become an avid memphis fan

kitzbuel
03-26-2009, 11:20 AM
No offense, but I have Pitt beating Memphis in my money bracket. Love to see Memphis, but I thought that Pitt is playing so well and so physically that they are just plain tough to beat.

ZagInTexas
03-26-2009, 11:23 AM
I gotta go with Oklahoma or Memphis. I root for the Sooners when not rooting for the Zags or Texas Tech.

LongIslandZagFan
03-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Memphis... all the way... if not them then the Spartans (my parents have 5 degrees total from MSU and I grew up ON the campus during the Magic days, soooo...). No way could I ever bring myself to root for UConn... too much St. John's in me to allow that to happen. Mizzou fans from a few years back left such a bad impression on me that I'd root for the devil if he was playing them.

former1dog
03-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Memphis.

+1

LynetteG
03-26-2009, 11:32 AM
hands down....Memphis

mainer6
03-26-2009, 11:36 AM
Memphis

bullzag23
03-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Without question I would root for Memphis. Ideally I would like to see a re-match in the NC game, but for now....

BEAT UNC!!!!!

MotoZag
03-26-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm gonna say either Oklahoma or Pitt...

Those are the two least likely to win it all imo.

GU69
03-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Memphis, and then Xavier.

FuManShoes
03-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Ideally I would like to see a re-match in the NC game, but for now....

BEAT UNC!!!!!

This is where I disagree with you guys. Winning it all means more to me than avenging a loss or having two non BCS schools in the final. We haven't beaten Memphis in how many years -- heck, have we ever beaten them? I'd rather not have to do it with a NC on the line.

DixieZag
03-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Memphis, no question. If a tragedy happens and they lose, then Xavier, anything to avert a B*S final.

GO TIGERS, GO ZAGS

ZagManFan
03-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Memphis!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anothertigerfan
03-26-2009, 12:43 PM
wow thanks guys! i do hope gonzaga at least goes to the final four this year. they totally deserve it! but i would rather not have a memphis/gonzaga nc because that's a very tough loss for either team and frankly i don't want to feel like i did last year after the loss. i'm still not over it. and if we beat you in the nc game i would feel bad for you guys because i wouldn't want to see you lose that game. but if memphis loses before the nc game (knock on wood) then i want gonzaga all the way, otherwise i want to see you guys in the final four.

good luck and welcome to memphis!

SLOZag
03-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Memphis, and then Xavier.

Ditto.

Sarenyon
03-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Memphis wins the final. That's my choice anyway.

UncleJam
03-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Why Memphis? I find it a bit odd, that so many fans of a team lead by Mark Few, would pull for Memphis. Mark Few, by all accounts, is a class guy, who runs a squeaky clean program, and does things the right way. He has built a program at Gonzaga that is exactly what college hoops should be about. At Gonzaga, you have a coach and a program who's integrity iis above reproach. Along with his impeccable reputation for running a tip top ship, he is one of the brightest X's and O's coaches in the game. Simply put, he doesn't have to break the rules to be successful. He has the inherent qualities it takes to win without having to resort to back ally deals with the devil.

Then there is John Calipari. A man that, at the very least, stretches the rules as far as they can possibly be stretched. Who's shady relationships with guys like William Wesley have impropriety written all over them. Calipari is the complete opposite of Mark Few. Myself, I would be hard pressed to, imagine a situation where I would ever pull for a coach of Calipari's ilk. To me, there is no place in college athletics for men like Calipari and Calhoun. Perhaps, I am a bit old school, but I became a fan when Dean Smith ran the program at Carolina, and am proud that Roy Williams still follows many of the traditions set forth during Dean's tenure here.

Bocco
03-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Same team I rooted for last year after the Zags lost, and the team I'd love to see the Zags play for the second time this season......

........Memphis!!!!!

RenoZag
03-26-2009, 02:27 PM
My heart says Memphis. . .my pool brackets say otherwise.

UberZagFan
03-26-2009, 02:42 PM
No question it is Memphis for Uber.

johnwzag
03-26-2009, 03:49 PM
In my brackets I picked Memphis to win. At least I had us going to the championship! I could not even imagine beating Memphis this year.

Robzagnut
03-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Go Memphis!

Although my bracket says Pitt.

rennis
03-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Memphis.

yup. I have the Tigers winning it all.

Robzagnut
03-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Why Memphis? I find it a bit odd, that so many fans of a team lead by Mark Few, would pull for Memphis. Mark Few, by all accounts, is a class guy, who runs a squeaky clean program, and does things the right way. He has built a program at Gonzaga that is exactly what college hoops should be about. At Gonzaga, you have a coach and a program who's integrity iis above reproach. Along with his impeccable reputation for running a tip top ship, he is one of the brightest X's and O's coaches in the game. Simply put, he doesn't have to break the rules to be successful. He has the inherent qualities it takes to win without having to resort to back ally deals with the devil.

Then there is John Calipari. A man that, at the very least, stretches the rules as far as they can possibly be stretched. Who's shady relationships with guys like William Wesley have impropriety written all over them. Calipari is the complete opposite of Mark Few. Myself, I would be hard pressed to, imagine a situation where I would ever pull for a coach of Calipari's ilk. To me, there is no place in college athletics for men like Calipari and Calhoun. Perhaps, I am a bit old school, but I became a fan when Dean Smith ran the program at Carolina, and am proud that Roy Williams still follows many of the traditions set forth during Dean's tenure here.

Cuss they got the balls to play GU 4 years in a row.

rennis
03-26-2009, 03:57 PM

All I know is Mark Few has the utmost respect for Calipari from everything I've read and seen. I have no doubt Memphis has some skeletons in their closet. So does just about every major team in the BCS conferences. I don't think anyone here thinks Memphis is perfect or above reproach. But given the choice, we'd much rather see our brethren from a conference that gets precisely zero respect (just like ours) walk out on that floor and own.

MickMick
03-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Go Tigers!

Scotto
03-26-2009, 04:03 PM
I think who ever wins the Zags/UNC game wins the whole thing.

CelticZag
03-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Easy...

Memphis then X...

75Zag
03-26-2009, 04:30 PM
After GU loses, who are you going to pick?

This question is similar to the question asked by your terminally ill spouse - "After I'm gone, who are you going to date?"

The answer running through your mind may be "Jessica Alba", but the correct answer is NOBODY, because you are going beat this!!

GU all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Bulldogs! Beat the tobacco farmers!

OZZag
03-26-2009, 04:42 PM
After the Zags.................

MEMPHIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Birddog
03-26-2009, 05:20 PM
I gotta go with Oklahoma or Memphis. I root for the Sooners when not rooting for the Zags or Texas Tech.
Blechhhhh! This is one area where I heartily endorse schadenfreude. I almost always feel better after a Sooner loss it's something about their fans. Personally, I'm pullin' for Memphis.

mgadfly
03-26-2009, 06:00 PM
In order after GU:

Memphis
Xavier
Michigan State (I saw Few meeting with a former MSU coach the other day at Jack and Dan's)
North Carolina (I went to school with the daughter of a famous NC alum and he took us to a basketball game and let us meet his players and then took us to dinner. Ever since that experience I've been pro-NC even if they are an evil-empire)
Arizona

After that, I'm not sure...
Duke, Syracuse, UCONN, L'Ville, Pitt, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Purdue, Nova

Maybe Kansas since they were nice enough to give us Downs...

Zag79
03-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Easy, memphis just like every year.

bartruff1
03-26-2009, 06:48 PM
pulling as in rooting for.....ARIZONA.......

Zag79
03-26-2009, 07:01 PM
nice, zona too! i always find myself rooting for them and memphis after the zags of course.

ZagsGoZags
03-26-2009, 08:00 PM
memphis

HillBillyZag
03-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Memphis has some great athletes. Mizzou's great athletes are also decent basketball players. For those of you who admire Cal's wide open offense, you just saw what happens when it crashes. You have to have DISCIPLINE to win the tough ones.And you can't give up 100+ pts.

75Zag
03-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Memphis appears to be dead on arrival.

Go Bulldogs!

CB4
03-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Memphis.

Revision:

UConn.

edit: Nova as well, always nice to see the Catholic schools winning.

rawkmandale
03-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Well, I'm down to Arizona, and perhaps Missouri? Sheesh. After a while, I'll have to pick a Big East team to root for. Or, just start cleaning up the yard. Spring is coming!

UberZagFan
03-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Uh, it's AZ now.

LongIslandZagFan
03-27-2009, 05:51 AM
Go Spartans!!!

skan72
03-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Pitt now, would have been Memphis.