View Full Version : ESPN Mag: GU-UNC only a so-so matchup

FuManShoes
03-26-2009, 10:15 AM
They like other games better
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=4014106

1. Syracuse vs. Oklahoma
Movie tagline ready: "The hottest team versus the best player!"

2. Missouri vs. Memphis
We've heard the argument that 'Nova vs. Duke is a similar game to this, but this game will be sloppier. Fine. We think this will be fun as all heck. It's gonna be like watching the '02 Sacramento Kings play the '06 Phoenix Suns (but sloppier, yes).

3. Villanova vs. Duke
Remember in the '05 Sweet 16, when 'Nova shoulda taken down UNC? This is Jay Wright's shot at righting that ACC wrong.

4. Kansas vs. MSU
Lot of hoops vintage in this one, and Sherron Collins vs. Kalin Lucas is going to be fun.

5. UNC vs. Gonzaga
We've gone back and forth on whether we should have this higher. 'Zaga took it to 'em in the 2006 Preseason NIT. If Lawson is rolling, though, this could be a rout.

6. Louisville vs. Arizona
Arizona is deeper than you think, and a good story (the only "underdog" here). Louisville should truck them, but how long did they let Siena hang around? If Jordan Hill gets hot in this game, he'll become a lottery pick, and he knows this.

7. Pitt vs. Xavier
This game probably stays close the whole way, but honestly, isn't it time for Pitt to just destroy someone?

8. Purdue vs. UConn
We like how scrappy Purdue is, but we honestly see little chance of this game being tight: UConn wrecked its first two opponents by an average of 41 per. Will they win this by 41? No. But 12-15 seems likely.

gu03alum
03-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Substitute the word Pargo for the word Lawson and I think they have it correct.

GUinSTL
03-26-2009, 11:11 AM
in what world is this game possibly a rout just because of lawson? i'm not impressed with their analysis.

GO ZAGS!
~B

mainer6
03-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't see a rout as a real possibility.
The Memphis Mizzou game is going to be great fun tonight.