PDA

View Full Version : Monson pursuing LB State job

BobZag
03-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Imo, it's a better gig than San Diego. A legit chance at the Big Dance every year, plus roughly $250,000 a year.

drnoe
03-27-2007, 09:45 AM
Imo, it's a better gig than San Diego. A legit chance at the Big Dance every year, plus roughly $250,000 a year.

It's a good opportunity to turn a H.S. program into ice cream. Decent money, with undoubtedly some incentives to eventually make more. The Big West is definitely a cup-cake conference, so Monson could turn things around relatively quickly. Reynolds had an annoying habit of relying on JUCOs...thus, one of reasons why he was fired. I hope Monson gets the job.

lothar98zag
03-27-2007, 09:45 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003637522_umen27.html

Washington assistant basketball coach Cameron Dollar said Monday night he interviewed for the head coaching vacancy at Long Beach State earlier in the day.

The school is seeking a successor for Larry Reynolds, whose contract was not renewed after five years despite leading the 49ers into the NCAA tournament with a 24-8 record overall and 12-2 in the Big West. The 49ers lost in the first round to Tennessee, 121-86.

Reynolds was 63-83 overall and the school is being investigated for recruiting violations that have already resulted in three-game suspensions for two players and the indefinite suspension of assistant coach Reggie Howard. However, that investigation isn't expected to yield major penalties.

"It's got to be a special situation to even think about leaving Washington," Dollar said.

Others rumored to be in the running for the job are former Gonzaga and Minnesota coach Dan Monson, Cal-State Northridge coach Bobby Braswell, UCLA assistant Kerry Keating and USC assistant Gib Arnold.

A decision is expected as soon as Wednesday...

Why would Monson go to another school w/ NCAA rule violations? Wouldn't he want to start a job w/ a clean slate and not one w/ a build in disadvantege?

brasszag
03-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Washington assistant basketball coach Cameron Dollar said Monday night he interviewed for the head coaching vacancy at Long Beach State earlier in the day. . . the school is being investigated for recruiting violations that have already resulted in three-game suspensions for two players and the indefinite suspension of assistant coach Reggie Howard. However, that investigation isn't expected to yield major penalties.

"It's got to be a special situation to even think about leaving Washington," Dollar said.

Sounds like a good fit.

jbslicer
03-27-2007, 10:00 AM
He's getting a lot more to do nothing. I could use a buy-out.

BobZag
03-27-2007, 10:33 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003637522_umen27.html

Why would Monson go to another school w/ NCAA rule violations? Wouldn't he want to start a job w/ a clean slate and not one w/ a build in disadvantege?

It's minor infractions that'll likely result in a warning, or at most no off-campus recruiting for 6 months. No biggie. It's so close to LA that kids can come visit anytime. What Haskins did at Minnesota was major major. This is great chance to win your conference every year.

Nevtelen
03-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Two former GU coaches in the conference would not be my favorite situation. But we'll see what happens.

dawgman1999
03-27-2007, 04:15 PM

LOL, $250K/year in a place like LB? What can he afford? A small Bungalo?

Say what you want, but I think his main purpose of going to UM in the first place was for money. He was making about 1M a year over in UMinn for 8 years. Had he stayed in Gonzaga, he'd probably make less than half of that amount over that period. Plus, at that time, he probably had no idea that Gonzaga would turn itself into such a dominant force in the mid-major level. He probably thought GU could go on a nice run 5 year run, or could flame out just as easy as SMU. In other words, by his estimation, at the time he accepted the job, he was probably going to make 3 or 4 times as much money in UM than in Gonzaga.

I know to a lot of you, money isn't an object. But let's say if you are making about $150K 8 years ago in GU, and UMinn offered you 6 times as much, what would you do?

After 8 years, he got his money. He wasn't very happy at the end, but he did achieve his goal, which was to set himself up financially for the rest of his life.

Now, he can just coach for fun and not worry about the money stuff. He could probably make twice as much in his own investment portfolio than this LB State job pays every year. He has no financial burden. I think he will do wonderfully in LB if they give him the chance. He will surface in high major levle in 4 years at most. He will get a job like a Oklahoma job after that.

lothar98zag
03-27-2007, 04:54 PM
He probably thought GU could go on a nice run 5 year run, or could flame out just as easy as SMU.

Are you talking about SMC (St Mary's College) or SMU (Southern Methodist University)?

VaBeachZAG
03-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Let me get this straight, LB State is under suspicion of recruiting violations, so it invites Cameron Dollar to interview for the head coaching position - the same Cameron Dollar tagged for inappropriate recruitment activity involving JH? Where's the sense in that?

Bocco
03-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Let me get this straight, LB State is under suspicion of recruiting violations, so it invites Cameron Dollar to interview for the head coaching position - the same Cameron Dollar tagged for inappropriate recruitment activity involving JH? Where's the sense in that?

Perhaps LB State wants to keep continuity in their program:)

dawgman1999
03-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Are you talking about SMC (St Mary's College) or SMU (Southern Methodist University)?

Sorry, I was talking about the Hank Gathers, Bo Kimble LMU team in the early 90's. I don't know why I typed SMU instead.

lothar98zag
03-30-2007, 11:56 AM
fwiw:

http://ncaabasketball.aolsportsblog.com/2007/03/29/long-beach-gig-down-three/

Frank Burlison of the Long Beach Press Telegram is reporting that the top three candidates for the LB State gig are Cameron Dollar, Dan Monson and UCLA assistant Kerry Keating.