PDA

View Full Version : Sam Dower comparisons and wishes

BobZag
03-26-2009, 09:39 AM
Does Sam have a chance to be similar to this guy--

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36150

They seem to be built similarly and from what I've seen they have a good shot out to 15 or so feet away.

Loved his game vs the chickens.

Would love for Sam's game to be similar.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-26-2009, 09:48 AM
I think that's a pretty good comparison, BZ. But I think Sam has the potential to be a better rebounder than Johnson.

I think we are all going to learn a lot more about Sam's game when we watch him online tonight. Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing how Sam runs the floor, how good of motor he's got, and what kind of defense he plays. It seems like a lot of the video I've seen so far have been short clips of halfcourt sets.

Baldwinzag
03-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Does Sam have a chance to be similar to this guy--

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36150

They seem to be built similarly and from what I've seen they have a good shot out to 15 or so feet away.

Loved his game vs the chickens.

Would love for Sam's game to be similar.

BZ, funny you mention Jujuan Johnson as a comparable player to Sam Dower. While watching Purdue take down the Fuskies last week, I turned to my roommate and said, "This Johnson kid looks and plays exactly like Dower." He immediately agreed with my assessment. I've personally seen Dower play four times this season and from my scouting reports, you should know I'm very impressed with Sam as a future prospect. I'm also currently impressed with Jujuan johnson for Purdue. Living in the Twin Cities, I've watched Johnson play on several occasions and hadn't compared the two until the NCAA tourney.

I definitely think Sam can be the player Jujuan has already become and even better if he works hard. In terms of their length, build, athletism, style of play, they are nearly identical. They are both very smart post players and seem to always find the open teammate when double-teamed. I would say Sam is much more efficient offensively and craftier in the post than Jujuan was at the same stage. Jujuan has really picked up his offense this season, but Sam has become so efficient with his left-hook, short jumper, and fadeaway, there is no doubt he has the potential to average 15+ pts by the time he's a Soph. That said, Jujuan is much, much better defender than Sam appears to be. Sam simply doesn't know how to play post defense yet, and I think this will be a priority for the coaches when he arrives on Campus. He can block a shot with the best of 'em, but opposing players that are much shorter and not as gifted as Sam score with ease on him. This may be due to his Coach wanting him to stay out of foul trouble, but its a work in progress. On the other hand, Jujuan was heralded for his stellar defense as a prospect and still plays great to this day. They both rebound OK, and are able to use their length and athletism to get boards. Each player has a long way to go in that regard. I know many on this board rave about his 12 rebounds a game, but he averages only 1-2 offensive rebs a game and that should tell you something.

Overall, I believe Sam is going to better on offense, but Jujuan takes the cake on the defensive end and handles. The good news, Sam has two years of coaching and development to catch up to Jujuan and I still think Dower has more to work with on the offensive side.

Rest assured, Sam's game will be similiar and quite possibly better than Jujuan is for purdue. :D

Grad Zag
03-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Wow!! Great comparison. That would be huge if we could get another dominant big.