PDA

View Full Version : Nice Houston Chronicle Article about Meech

ZagNative
03-26-2009, 07:43 AM
I've been expecting some nice Meech coverage in his hometown paper, the Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/6342593.html), and here it is:

Commentary: Tough encore for man of the hour
By JEROME SOLOMON Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
March 26, 2009, 12:07AM

There were 7.2 seconds left when Demetri Goodson took the inbounds pass near his own baseline.

Plenty of time.

As quick as he is, Goodson probably could have gone the length of the court twice. But after a little weave, a hesitation dribble and a change of hands near midcourt, the freshman from Klein Collins had just enough time remaining to toss in a shot that is the clubhouse leader for the most memorable one of this year’s NCAA Tournament.

That shot is drawing the attention, but Goodson says the defensive presence he brings is what earns him playing time. He’ll be tested big-time this week.

“(Lawson) is the trigger man for the most high-octane offense in the country,” Gonzaga coach Mark Few said. “He’s the fastest guy out there. … Meech is probably second.”

High praise from one of the country’s top coaches. Perhaps that speed is how the 5-11 point guard got out of Houston and landed 1,700 miles to the northwest. He was too quick to catch.

Before Saturday’s heroics, few college basketball fans outside of Spokane, Wash., had heard of Goodson. Houstonians who follow local high school basketball certainly knew of him.

A year ago, Goodson helped Klein Collins to a 31-5 mark and was a Chronicle first-team All-Greater Houston pick.

“They [University of Houston] never sent me any letter or anything, so I never had too much interest in the University of Houston,” Goodson said.

Gonzaga sent letters.

“It’s kind of a unique situation,” Few said. “We have been able to recruit nationally for some time.

“Meech played for a really, really good high school basketball coach, Tim Schumacher, who had been a Division I assistant we’ve known. And he played for a solid AAU program (Houston Select). They do a great job, they coach their guys, they develop them, and they’re very fair in the recruiting process. They don’t force their guys to go to certain programs; they leave it wide open.”

The wide-open door led Goodson to Gonzaga.
Nice love there from Coach Few for coach Schumacher and for Houston Select AAU.

FuManShoes
03-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Good read. It speaks pretty well of GU's eclectic atmosphere and a family-like approach to recruiting that the team is increasingly attracting guys from far away* parts of the country. Not sure what Phi Slamma Jamma U was thinking (or not thinking), but their loss is our gain. Maybe they knew Meech was too good to stay close to home.

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Love this kid's game.

ZagNative
03-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Reportedly, we've been looking at another member of Houston Select, Jamel Outler, discussed in an earlier post here (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=16914).

Also playing in the Houston area this summer will be Zags prospect Alex Kirk, who we discussed on this earlier thread (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=19096&highlight=Alex+Kirk). Kirk lives in Los Alamos but will be playing for Houston Hoops AAU this summer. Too bad that other great New Mexico product, Jeff Taylor, didn't decide to be a Zag. He's had a great year at Vandy but is watching post-season play from home.

Hopefully, Meech's early stardom will add to the Zags recruiting arsenal in that area.

Team Oosik
03-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Unfortunately, we here in Houston don't get to watch Meech on tv. We get Kansas. I guess we get to watch annoying internet feed again. I suffered through two games already, dammit, let me watch one on live HDTV. How hard is it to schedule a few games so they don't all overlap?

Oh, HQ internet feed is available, but its aggravating to deal with the "buffering" every minute. This buffering feature increases the lag time more and more as the game progresses. I would like to watch the Kansas game too, especially if they switch over to the Zag game, but then you get to see the "live" Zags/Heel score. Yes, to decrease the buffering, simply decrease the video quality. By the time you get it fairly close to a live feed, you can barely see where the ball is on the court. In a word, suck.

cjm720
03-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately, we here in Houston don't get to watch Meech on tv. We get Kansas. I guess we get to watch annoying internet feed again. I suffered through two games already, dammit, let me watch one on live HDTV. How hard is it to schedule a few games so they don't all overlap?

Oh, HQ internet feed is available, but its aggravating to deal with the "buffering" every minute. This buffering feature increases the lag time more and more as the game progresses. I would like to watch the Kansas game too, especially if they switch over to the Zag game, but then you get to see the "live" Zags/Heel score. Yes, to decrease the buffering, simply decrease the video quality. By the time you get it fairly close to a live feed, you can barely see where the ball is on the court. In a word, suck.

Try this http://www.justin.tv/gonzaga_basketball

Team Oosik
03-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Oh, yeah...Didn't think to try JustIn TV feeds. Appreciate the advice.

I realize we could go down to the local watering hole to catch the game but, we are VERY pregnant...I am sure Murphy's law dictates it happens tomorrow.

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Oh, yeah...Didn't think to try JustIn TV feeds. Appreciate the advice.

I realize we could go down to the local watering hole to catch the game but, we are VERY pregnant...I am sure Murphy's law dictates it happens tomorrow.

Let's hope for great day Friday--new family Zag unit for you with a Zags win to top it off---now that's a day to remember

SWZag
03-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Great find. Sure glad he decided to come to GU. Sounds like he had a great coaching staff in high school as well.

SWZag