PDA

View Full Version : OT: Todays games

kyle dixon
03-26-2009, 05:13 AM
What are your thoughts on todays games? My thoughts:

Pitt over Xavier: Too much Blair.
Duke over Nova: Henderson is really stepping up. Close, close game.

UCONN over Purdue: Thabeet will have a field day blocking shots, Hummel disappeared against "The U"
Memphis over Missouri: Love the Tigers. Have pretty well became my 2nd favorite college team.

mgadfly
03-26-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm going with Pitt over Xavier, but the game could be very interesting. Pitt is the best offensive rebounding team in the nation. That leads to a fairly large number of high percentage shots off rebounds and extra shot attempts. Xavier is a team with a lot of size and strength. The only team better than them still alive at blocking out and preventing the other team from getting offensive rebounds is MSU, so something has to give in this match-up. Their starting line-up is 6'5", 6'6", 6'6", 6'8", and 6'9" and isn't skinny. Xavier is also the best shooting three point team left in the tournament. If Raymond, Brown and Jackson get hot from outside they could pull the upset. Pitt still has to be the favorite, but who knows...

I'm picking Duke over Nova as well even though it is mostly because Duke is a tiny bit better handling the ball and preventing offensive rebounds. Nova is very good and has played well in their first two games including the very impressive victory against what looked like UCLA's JV squad. Still, I'm going with Duke.

UCONN over Purdue, relatively easy. Purdue's weaknesses are getting offensive rebounds and preventing offensive rebounds. Purdue has the guards to handle pressure, but UCONN doesn't rely on turning you over, so I think UCONN has more talent and its strengths matches up extremely well with Purdue's weaknesses in this game.

Missouri has depth and takes care of the ball well. They have a very good defense that puts a ton of pressure on the opposition and generates steals. Memphis, doesn't use the bench as much, but is taller, defends well generating nearly as many steals, and blocks a ton of shots. Memphis can't shoot the three-pointer (229th in the country, with only Sallie as a true perimeter scorer). I think the difference is Dozier and Taggart blocking shots inside, but this could be a real fun game where both teams try to score off their defensive pressure.

krozman
03-26-2009, 07:17 AM
What are your thoughts on todays games? My thoughts:

Pitt over Xavier: Too much Blair.
Duke over Nova: Henderson is really stepping up. Close, close game.

UCONN over Purdue: Thabeet will have a field day blocking shots, Hummel disappeared against "The U"
Memphis over Missouri: Love the Tigers. Have pretty well became my 2nd favorite college team.

Kinda sad how we have more chalk in this tournament than ever, and these picks (which exactly match mine on my bracket) perpetuates that unliklihood.

gozagswoohoo
03-26-2009, 07:19 AM
Pitt over Xavier: Blair > Xavier
Duke over Nova: I'm leaning towards Nova on this one....

UCONN over Purdue: UConn will own the boards and inside game.
Memphis over Missouri: kyledixon- I guess you realize BOTH teams are the Tigers? :-) Anyways, I can't stand Mizzou, I hope they lose by 88. But here is what I imagine will happen....Mizzou will keep it close and then lose by like 4 or 5, then I will get 100 text messages from friends saying "Oh, look at that, Mizzou almost had em and your zags got destroyed by Memphis, so I guess that means Mizzou is better, huh?"

To which I will reply "If we are using that logic, Louisville < Western Kentucky < Gonzaga so then Gonzaga > Louisville?"

I hate Mizzou.

Das Zagger
03-26-2009, 08:01 AM
I'm interested to see how UCONN comes out today

LoveMyZags
03-26-2009, 08:34 AM
My Brackets want UCONN, Memphis, Pitt and Nova tonight.

I kind of have to root for Nova as my siblings are alums but after they absolutely destroyed UCLA, it's kind of easy to root for them. I have them over Duke because Duke is not awesome defensively and their inside is weak. Cunningham in the middle will take on Duke and the Cory's will light it up...should be a really fun game to watch though since Duke lives and dies by the 3.

UCONN is too talented for Purdue, Pitt is too big for Xavier, and well we have all seen what Memphis is capable of.

GO NOVA, GO ZAGS!

johnwzag
03-26-2009, 08:37 AM
My Brackets want UCONN, Memphis, Pitt and Nova tonight.

Me too.

CDC84
03-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I will be rooting heavily for Xavier and Memphis.

I think Memphis is going to rip through Mizzou's press. It could get ugly unless Mike Anderson decides to hold back the press like he did against Marquette.

DoMieD
03-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Pitt Over Xavier
Memphis Over Missouri
Purdue Over UCONN
Nova Over Duke

former1dog
03-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Pitt, Memphis, UConn, and Villanova will be the winners today.

Reborn
03-26-2009, 10:02 AM
I've got:

Purdue over UCONN
Memphis over Missouri
Xavier over Pitt
Villanova over Duke

I'm hoping to see a couple more upsets this week than we had last week. :)
The tournament could use a little more excitement.