PDA

View Full Version : If we keep these 3 things low, we will win

zagfan24
03-25-2009, 12:48 PM
- UNC offensive rebounds. Self-explanatory...if we don't block out we end up letting guys like Thompson and Green get easy points. Their confidence goes up, and they start hitting 15 footers as well.

- Tyler Hansbrough FT attempts...do NOT let his arm flailing draw fouls. Stay straight up and don't worry about blocking shots, save for weak-side help.

- Fast break points...this is hand in hand with turnovers. Sloppy passes lead to UNC fast breaks which lead to easy points. This is how Lawson gets going and it's how the Tar Heels scores in bunches.

IMO, that's it. Do those 3 things and the game is ours -- but of course, they are all easier said than done.

Go Zags

Thomas_Sutpen
03-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Could we add UNC 3pt% to the list? If they start popping from 3, it could be all she wrote.

Don't let anybody go OMV on us.

CB4
03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Good points 24. Obviously if we do those things we should win, but I think the most important thing the Zags need to do is trust our game and play with MAX intensity, with that those points you made will be accomplished.

UberZagFan
03-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Good points 24. I think the most important thing the Zags need to do is trust our game and play with MAX intensity

Uber like that. Uber says play every possession like you want to win on every possession. It's like playing to win every inning. If there is only two minutes gone in the game and there's a loose ball, dive for it like there's only two minutes left in the game.

DoMieD
03-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Boxing out will be key to us winning.. WE BETTER BOX OUT!

whatazag
03-25-2009, 01:45 PM
- Fast break points...this is hand in hand with turnovers. Sloppy passes lead to UNC fast breaks which lead to easy points. This is how Lawson gets going and it's how the Tar Heels scores in bunches.

Go Zags

My friends and I call this getting zag-dunked on. We commonly make lazy passes from the top of the key to the wings, which elite teams will pick off and take to the rack for a highlight reel dunk. Memphis invented the zag-dunk and has been notorious for it over the past few years. If the guys are lackadaisical against UNC, we will see the same result as we've seen against Memphis.

UncleJam
03-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Equally important, Daye and Heytvelt will have to stay out of foul trouble. Granted, my exposure to the Zags has, by and large, been in the post-season, but from what little I've witnessed, y'all don't really have any quality depth across the frontline. I believe much will depend on how closely the game is called, and how well Josh and Austin adjust.

Zag365
03-25-2009, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=whatazag;411229]My friends and I call this getting zag-dunked on. We commonly make lazy passes from the top of the key to the wings, which elite teams will pick off and take to the rack for a highlight reel dunk./QUOTE]

Exactly. Our sophomores, juniors, and seniors have no excuse for having this occur repeatedly over past couple of years. Too many long sloooow passes from obtuse angles at top of the key.

VinnyZag
03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Equally important, Daye and Heytvelt will have to stay out of foul trouble. Granted, my exposure to the Zags has, by and large, been in the post-season, but from what little I've witnessed, y'all don't really have any quality depth across the frontline. I believe much will depend on how closely the game is called, and how well Josh and Austin adjust.

Our frontcourt depth got hurt four games into the season and is on a medical redshirt.

Zag79
03-25-2009, 09:22 PM
anyone else already worrying about the officiating? a bad foul call here or there and we are in trouble right away. i hope they call it even and consistent both ways.

MJ777
03-25-2009, 09:45 PM
anyone else already worrying about the officiating? a bad foul call here or there and we are in trouble right away. i hope they call it even and consistent both ways.

I am worried about that 79. I can still clearly see the tourney game against Nevada when the refs tied the Zags hands by blowing the whistle excessively and were one-sided to boot. :mad: That is my opinion and I am sticking with it.

Memo to the referees: Call a foul on the players when they lead with a shoulder into the midsection, don't blow the whistle on a defender who is standing straight up when a shot goes up, don't call ticky tack fouls far from the basket. Call an over the back when a player has position and is bumped/pushed out of the way. Try to determine whether a player is flopping or not. Etc., etc. Call the obvious stuff both ways, but let them play refs, let them play!

zagfan24
03-26-2009, 02:16 AM
Memo to the referees: Call a foul on the players when they lead with a shoulder into the midsection, don't blow the whistle on a defender who is standing straight up when a shot goes up

I am not really a Hansbrough hater, but he gets this call all the time and the Zags will have to be careful. Put your hands straight up and have somebody push into your midsection...your arms/hands naturally go down a bit. If the offensive player is quick enough, then can go up immediately and draw a foul.

zagzealot
03-26-2009, 08:42 AM
If UNC's score at the end of the game is lower than ours, we win.

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Add to the list---GU fouls---we can't have the big fellas in foul trouble

Zag79
03-26-2009, 06:08 PM
exactly MJ! tyler plays in a manner that gets him alot of "soft" calls. if the refs take the bait it could be a long night. i would love to see them call it like you described. let em play!