PDA

View Full Version : WSJ Blog: Draft Picks in the Sweet 16

ZagNative
03-25-2009, 12:06 PM
From The Daily Fix (http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2009/03/25/the-count-uncs-quintet-of-draft-prospects/) by Carl Bialik, on March 25:
North Carolina is no shoo-in to win the menís NCAA basketball tournament. But the Tar Heels are tops among Sweet Sixteen teams in another measure: the number of players on ESPNís top 100 draft prospect (http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/draft/tracker/rank?draftyear=2009)s. North Carolina has five players on the list, while 14 other Sweet Sixteen teams have three or fewer each. UNCís next opponent, Gonzaga, has four.I don't know how credible ESPN's top 100 selections are, but I was surprised that the Zags are second only to UNC in the number of players on the list.

The Gonzaga players can only be seen on the list if you have an Insider subscription. The players and rank on the list are as follows:

42 Austin Daye Late first to early second
48 Josh Heytvelt Late first to early second
69 Matt Bouldin Second round to undrafted
73 Jeremy Pargo Late first to early second

GonzagaDynasty
03-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Lets just pray Austin is smart enough to come back for his Junior year. If we win the championship, then be my guest, leave for the league...

beatProgram
03-25-2009, 12:31 PM
You know the only thing that bothers me there is that I honestly think Bouldin should be viewed as the better NBA prospect relative to Pargo.

Pargo has the athleticism and showmanship, but Bouldin has much better court-awareness and vision than I think Pargo has shown over the years.

Not to mention Bouldin is seems the more coachable of the two, he was able to be converted into a post player (and still has arguably the best post moves of any other player on the team oddly enough), he responds well to game-time adjustments coming out of timeouts, and he doesn't appear to be plagued by hardly any of his earlier youthful shortcomings.

I don't think Pargo really has what it takes to be a starter in the NBA, and he lacks the consistency to be a role-player. Contrasted with Bouldin I fail to see how one could list one as drafted and the other as possibly not.

Just my opinion, oh, and could you all at least do me the courtesy of piling on me publicly with a reply rather than crapping all over my rep-comments anonymously? :)

Ziggy
03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm kinda hoping that Matty and Austin stay to work on their games and build their stock. Losing all four plus Micah and Ira would really hurt.

VaBeachZAG
03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
No way is Bouldin going to bail out on the Zags as a second round draft pick. As for Daye possibly being drafted late in the first round, who knows (although I hope he stays).

I think people are a bit too hard on Pargo. From everything I have seen and heard, the consensus opinion is that John Stockton was a very good (but not spectacular) college player. In my view right now, Pargo is a very good, but not spectacular, college player. If given a fair chance at the next level, he just might develop into an NBA caliber player. I think to just summarily right him off is a big mistake.

LongIslandZagFan
03-25-2009, 01:08 PM
You know the only thing that bothers me there is that I honestly think Bouldin should be viewed as the better NBA prospect relative to Pargo.

Pargo has the athleticism and showmanship, but Bouldin has much better court-awareness and vision than I think Pargo has shown over the years.

Not to mention Bouldin is seems the more coachable of the two, he was able to be converted into a post player (and still has arguably the best post moves of any other player on the team oddly enough), he responds well to game-time adjustments coming out of timeouts, and he doesn't appear to be plagued by hardly any of his earlier youthful shortcomings.

I don't think Pargo really has what it takes to be a starter in the NBA, and he lacks the consistency to be a role-player. Contrasted with Bouldin I fail to see how one could list one as drafted and the other as possibly not.

Just my opinion, oh, and could you all at least do me the courtesy of piling on me publicly with a reply rather than crapping all over my rep-comments anonymously? :)

Part of that is liekly directly related to the fact that Jeremy is a senior and most see Matt staying for his senior year.

Matt is good, but he can most assuredly get better.

mainer6
03-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Daye is a fool if he leaves early. He has so much to gain by staying. Is there really any doubt about his return? Does anyone out there have some insight on that--real insight?