PDA

View Full Version : This is Seabiscuit vs War Admiral

Reborn
03-25-2009, 08:53 AM
We must try to understand how good Carolina is. They are REAL GOOD. They are a great basketball team, and we know that Tyler Hansbrough, the POY, has come back to win a national championship. We know that Ty Lawson is considered the top point guard in the country. We must understand why MOST people have Carolina in the Final 4 and not Gonzaga. Gonzaga is Seabiscuit.

This game is not going to be a boxing match. This is a horse race by two very fast teams. Their toughness does got come from their muscle but from their souls. UNC, like War Admiral, comes from the best breeding in the country. It is THE ELITE horse. Seabiscuit was born from humble origins, but inside this horse was placed a very special spirit. I recognize this spirit in this years Zag team.

Seabiscuit was a huge success, and horse racing fans saw it's potential. Much like Gonzaga in the early season in the top 5. But adversity hit Seabiscuit when she broke her leg. Adversity hit Gonzaga hard in December. And then again when Memhis broke our legs. Could Seabiscuit come back? Could Gonzaga? For me this is why I'm so excited about this game.

I just watched the horse race, and Seabiscuit jumped on top of War Admiral at the start and got a little lead that was nice. Around the halfway mark War Admiral came up even with Biscuit and stayed that way until the final turn. Seabiscuit won by an amazing four lengths. I'll take Gonzaga by 4.:)

UNCbiz
03-25-2009, 09:08 AM
You conventiently fail to mention that War Admiral won the horse-racing industry's NCAA title equivalent ... the Triple Crown. ;)

Seabiscuit (like Gonzaga in the '06 preseason NIT) won when nothing was really on the line... just pride. When the big trophy was on the line (as it is now), War Admiral dominated!

zagsfan21
03-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Not really. War Admiral was the national brand, and Seabiscuit was the west coast flavor. I think the analogy works.

BobZag
03-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Gonzaga is Upset, UNC is Man o' War.

Gonzaga is Onion, UNC is Secretariat.

:D

It's just one race, not a career.

Reborn
03-25-2009, 09:55 AM
From Wikapedia: Seabiscuit was a West Coast celebrity. The East Coast racing establishment was considerablly less impressed.

I think this holds true for Gonzaga.

LoveMyZags
03-25-2009, 10:12 AM
From Wikapedia: Seabiscuit was a West Coast celebrity. The East Coast racing establishment was considerablly less impressed.

I think this holds true for Gonzaga.

Couldn't agree with you more, Reborn. My brother shows NO respect to W.C. hoops, he is a Villanova alum and Big East fan.

One thing though...not sure it was a typo, but Seabiscut was a colt...male...she didn't break any legs, he did. Sorry, I am an equestrian on top of an avid Zag fan...had to point that out.

East coast hoop-sters are not impressed with the west coast. We are like the ugly duckings, the stupid step children, the SEABISCUT!!! I like the analogy...one race at a time is the only race that matters...GO ZAGS!

RenoZag
03-25-2009, 10:17 AM
As long as this one race doesn't turn out like Ruffian vs. Foolish Pleasure. . .

Reborn
03-25-2009, 10:54 AM
I apologize for the error. And thanks for the correction, LoveMyZags.

MDABE80
03-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Ruffian broke my heart Reno. We must never mention that girl ever again!

gueastcoast
03-25-2009, 12:53 PM

+1

Gonzaga is Upset, UNC is Man o' War.

Gonzaga is Onion, UNC is Secretariat.

Bob, any man who remembers Onion is a true brother in arms :o

Don't forget that in the Seabiscuit/Admiral match race (as idealized in the movie), Woolf specifically let the Admiral draw close to fire up the Biscuit and make sure they both knew who the "alpha" horse was. I suspect the Zags will have a similar moment of truth at some point in the second half on Friday.

GO ZAGS!

LynetteG
03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
I was excited seeing the horse analogy, but was sad to see Seabiscuit referred to as a she! LOL

Btw, The Biscuit didn't break his leg, he ruptured a suspensory ligament in the front left leg.

Even still, I really liked the analogy of the underdog going against the blue blood and coming out on top in a one time matchup.

LynetteG
03-25-2009, 01:03 PM

+ infinity. hope she's up there running around with Eight Belles

gueastcoast
03-25-2009, 01:11 PM
hope she's up there running around with Eight Belles

Now that thought makes me smile :)

SteeleMan
03-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Someone who's going to the game must bring a fire bell and let 'er rip at tipoff. :)

seasontixholder
03-25-2009, 02:35 PM
I like the Seabiscuit analogy better than Upset, Onion, or, say, Jim Dandy or Prove Out. Only the latter ever won anything to speak of again, and I hope that GU doesn't follow their pattern. :)

One must remember that War Admiral was not the monster beast as fictionalized in the movie. He was a rather smallish horse that took care of his class, but was smoked by the older guy.

UNCbiz
03-25-2009, 03:13 PM
You have to admit... "War Admiral" is a bada$$ name. "Seabiscuit" just sounds weak.

Reborn
03-25-2009, 04:45 PM
You have to admit... "War Admiral" is a bada$$ name. "Seabiscuit" just sounds weak.

You think the "name" is weak, according to reports he looked even weaker. Shows ya that a name isn't all THAT!! Nor is how a horse looks!!

Talking about names. It's taken 10 years for many of the TV announcers to get the name Gonzaga pronounced right. When they really know how to pronounce it correctly, why would they mispronounce it? It's about respect.

Doug G. on ESPN talk radio today was raving about which teams LOOKED like a championship contender. He ranted and raved about Louisville, and then went on to list the other teams and their players, and when you saw them you just "knew" they were the real deal. Doug named most of the teams in the Sweet 16. And, of course, he did not mention Gonzaga.

UNCbiz, we already know how great your team is. And we know how cool the name Carolina is. We know you guys are studs.

And we are glad and proud to be Gonzaga. We're proud to represent the West Coast this year. And we do look forward to the game Friday night. Good luck to you, sir!

UNCbiz
03-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Reading way too into my last post, Reborn. I was just saying that "War Admiral" is a bada$$ name. Wasn't taking a veiled shot at Gonzaga at all.

kitzbuel
03-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Good thing GU isn't like Big Brown because they would get kicked out of FedEx Forum.

skan72
03-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Reading way too into my last post, Reborn. I was just saying that "War Admiral" is a bada$$ name. Wasn't taking a veiled shot at Gonzaga at all.

I don't know about that, he just decided to take his rant off in another direction, and I for one enjoyed it.

O-o-o-ooo-o-o-o-oooooo-o-o-o...Zombie...Zombie...Zombie Nation.

Reborn
03-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Skan72 I think I'm a little upset about the UNC guy coming over here and starting what has been one of my favorite threads this year, and then he comes on this thread and calls Seabiscuit a weak name and War Admiral a whatever.
And then denies what he's actually saying. This UNCbis is a weak representative of UNC. I hope they have more character then him.

skan72
03-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Skan72 I think I'm a little upset about the UNC guy coming over here and starting what has been one of my favorite threads this year, and then he comes on this thread and calls Seabiscuit a weak name and War Admiral a whatever.
And then denies what he's actually saying. This UNCbis is a weak representative of UNC. I hope they have more character then him.

+1 good sir.

seasontixholder
03-26-2009, 02:25 AM

War Admiral wore braids. ;)