PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Hear Mark on KJR?

Angelo Roncalli
03-25-2009, 07:59 AM
He was on Mitch's show, which I find a little amazing.

Did anyone hear it? Report?

zag944
03-25-2009, 08:04 AM
i tuned in after, when Mitch was making fun of specific sound bytes from the interview and calling Few "The Weasel". Id like to hear the actual interview, but thought the segment I heard was pretty stupid.

SteeleMan
03-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Few was on Cowherd this morning. Cowherd ranted about how Mark would be an idiot to leave Spokane/GU. Mark conferred that it's a great place to live and the community is very supportive.

Also mentioned that GU will have to keep shooting well to win and mentioned the '06 win at MSG, saying there's the same cast of players where GU beat UNC.

zaggernaut
03-25-2009, 08:58 AM
I caught his interview with Len Elmore but missed the interview with Few. I'm surprised to hear that he was on. Anyways, it will probably be posted up on this site either later today or tomorrow.

http://www.kjram.com/cc-common/podcast/single_podcast.html?podcast=mitchinthemorning.xml

MDABE80
03-25-2009, 09:15 AM
We need something like this is Spokane Radio. Actually, before Seattle grew so much and claimed it's title to what it is today, Spokane had its chances but was held back. Seattle continues to amaze me.

ZagHouse
03-25-2009, 09:16 AM
The interview was staged. They took an existing interview by Few and edited his answers to follow whatever questions they would like to ask (if Few ever decided to actually come on). Example: What do you think of our nickname for you: The Weasel?

Really unfunny/juvenile stuff. At one point Mitch said that he felt Few had grown too big for his britches. I sensed a lot of animosity and jealousy seeing as how the Zags advanced and the Huskies were now sitting at home. While the Huskies were once the elite program in the Pacific NW, they can't claim that mantle any more--and Mitch can't mask the fact that he's bitter--and apparently petty.

23dpg
03-25-2009, 09:24 AM
The interview was staged. They took an existing interview by Few and edited his answers to follow whatever questions they would like to ask (if Few ever decided to actually come on). Example: What do you think of our nickname for you: The Weasel?

Really unfunny/juvenile stuff. At one point Mitch said that he felt Few had grown too big for his britches. I sensed a lot of animosity and jealousy seeing as how the Zags advanced and the Huskies were now sitting at home. While the Huskies were once the elite program in the Pacific NW, they can't claim that mantle any more--and Mitch can't mask the fact that he's bitter--and apparently petty.

I don't mean this as a slam, but when were the Huskies ever the dominant program in the northwest? They've had some good teams, but I don't think I would ever label them as THE elite team.

ZagHouse
03-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Maybe elite was too strong a word, but I was speaking from what Mitch believes in his mind.

Saxon_zag
03-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Mitch is a tard plain and simple.. I only listened when he had lunardi on but i can't stand the guy. Not funny, boring topics on his show a lot of the time, UW homer, all that along with the literally 15 minute long commercial breaks just made me tune him out.....

I do enjoy listening to that slim guy on spokane sports show though, usually pretty cool stuff

Das Zagger
03-25-2009, 09:41 AM
We need something like this is Spokane Radio. Actually, before Seattle grew so much and claimed it's title to what it is today, Spokane had its chances but was held back. Seattle continues to amaze me.

Seattle sports radio, like all Seattle sports, is a joke.

Angelo Roncalli
03-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Mitch Levy and Steve Sandmeyer are the Scut Farkas and Grover Dill of Seattle sports radio.

http://www.zackward.com/images/stories/christmasstorylores.jpg

MDABE80
03-25-2009, 10:31 AM
UW has NEVER been Elite in basketball.....or even dominant. It's a graveyard for talent. They get in to the tournament once in a while but this PAC X title they won this year was last won in 1953. Elites normally do better....and this title was won in a year when the PAC X was down.

zag944
03-25-2009, 10:41 AM
heh, I guess I did hear the "interview".

I dont get why he hates Few. Because UW had a hand in the cookie jar with JH? Because UW canceled the series with us?

Robzagnut
03-25-2009, 10:41 AM
I listened to the staged Few interview on 1510 AM this morning by 'Mitch in the Morning' and I'm surprised to hear such venom and animosity towards coach Few and Gonzaga. Especially, since it airs on 1510 'Home of the Zags' in Spokane. As a Zag fan, it was disgusting.

1510 should drop Mitch and find someone else a little more pro Spokane and less anti-GU. I'm going to boycott that show and listen to ESPN radio in the morning from now on.

bigparb
03-25-2009, 10:43 AM
didn't catch the KJR interview, but Fewie was on The Herd this morning....

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=19891

UberZagFan
03-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Funny that someone mentions the commercial breaks. Out of all shows on KJR, Mitch easily, by far, has the least amount of commercial breaks.

And Uber doesn't know where everyone gets the UW homer stuff from...yes, they pull for UW but it's a Seattle radio show. What's expected? Everyone must not ever hear Softy's show--that is sick UW homer stuff...in fact, Uber heard Softy this morning say that if he had a daughter he would not only want her to date Brockman but he would tell her to sleep with him and have his baby--married or not. Uber actually thinks Softy secretly wants to sleep with Brockman himself and only wishes he had a daughter so he could live vicariously through her.

The Few is a weisel stuff is pretty annoying and stupid and really just shows a lot of immaturity. But the show does have some high points like the Jon Miller interview this morning and regular visits with Lunardi and Beano Cook (Beano is amazing--a walking encyclopedia of college football)

realtydog
03-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Why is there a battle between the groups???????????????? anyone???? Bueller????

UberZagFan
03-25-2009, 10:55 AM
1510 should drop Mitch and find someone else a little more pro Spokane and less anti-GU. I'm going to boycott that show and listen to ESPN radio in the morning from now on.

Uber will agree with that. Don't know why the home of the Zags would want to carry Mitch.

xjzico
03-25-2009, 11:09 AM
As a Seattle resident I am really excited to check out KIROs move into sports. I have larger beefs with KJR, particularly Groz and Gassbag, than just the morning show. The general level of discussion at KJR as whole is just pathetic and lazy with a predisposition towards group think.

Also, if anyone qualifies as a weasel it would be Sandmeyer, so I pay him no heed. But Mitch's antagonism of Few is bizarre and has slowly become the final straw where I just have to seek out an alternative source. Now it's not that I mind dissenting opinions but The Morning Show's bent is to act as crass and juvenile as possible to stir up interest. I guess it is a successful model in a sense but as a sports show it is empty. A person would be no less informed if they just turned the radio off.

Hopefully the new station will provide the incentive for KJRs hosts to raise the quality of the discussion in lieu of being replaced by someone who can.

Saxon_zag
03-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Funny that someone mentions the commercial breaks. Out of all shows on KJR, Mitch easily, by far, has the least amount of commercial breaks.

And Uber doesn't know where everyone gets the UW homer stuff from...yes, they pull for UW but it's a Seattle radio show. What's expected? Everyone must not ever hear Softy's show--that is sick UW homer stuff...in fact, Uber heard Softy this morning say that if he had a daughter he would not only want her to date Brockman but he would tell her to sleep with him and have his baby--married or not. Uber actually thinks Softy secretly wants to sleep with Brockman himself and only wishes he had a daughter so he could live vicariously through her.

The Few is a weisel stuff is pretty annoying and stupid and really just shows a lot of immaturity. But the show does have some high points like the Jon Miller interview this morning and regular visits with Lunardi and Beano Cook (Beano is amazing--a walking encyclopedia of college football)

you must be kidding about the commercial bs... i left my south hill home for work at about 8:10. They went to a commercial at about 8:13... finally came back after i had gone down freya gotten all the way to mission by SCC and came back with len elmore at about 8:26.. 13 minutes is to long of a commerical imo

UberZagFan
03-25-2009, 11:18 AM
you must be kidding about the commercial bs... i left my south hill home for work at about 8:10. They went to a commercial at about 8:13... finally came back after i had gone down freya gotten all the way to mission by SCC and came back with len elmore at about 8:26.. 13 minutes is to long of a commerical imo

Nope. Over the four hour show, Mitch easily and Uber means easily, has the least amount of commercial time compared to all the other shows on KJR.

GonzagaDynasty
03-25-2009, 11:18 AM
I dont think I've ever heard of this Mitch guy, but he sounds like your typical jealous UW fan.Gonzaga is a more successful program, and that just bugs the hell out of them.

I love being on this side, cheering for the Zags. We are so much more classy

dpouley
03-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Maybe elite was too strong a word, but I was speaking from what Mitch believes in his mind.

Wrong again. Mitch is Syracuse man first and foremost and anything he does in regards to the Huskies is simply from a stand point of being an on air personality in Seattle.

Mitch is about as unbiased a radio man when it comes to the Huskies as Seattle has.

dpouley
03-25-2009, 11:49 AM
I dont think I've ever heard of this Mitch guy, but he sounds like your typical jealous UW fan.Gonzaga is a more successful program, and that just bugs the hell out of them.

Mitch does not have any allegiance to UW. Again he went to Syracuse and is a die hard Orange man.

FYI, Seattle does not = UW

gmo
03-25-2009, 12:02 PM
not defending any of that really juvenile sounding stuff but in regards to UW being elite at basketball I have to say at least at one point (maybe one year?) they must have been since they did make a Final Four in the 50's. IMO anyone who has made the Final 4 should be considered elite, at least for that moment in time.

Here's to Gonzaga becoming truly elite in 2009!!

zag944
03-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Mitch does not have any allegiance to UW. Again he went to Syracuse and is a die hard Orange man.

FYI, Seattle does not = UW

yep.

do you know why he hates Few so much? I disqualified jealously for the same reason you did. That said, there isnt a whole lot left to hatch onto from an antagonistic perspective...

Im usually tuned into KJR and have a general knowledge of all the personalities but this has always bugged me.

Zag365
03-25-2009, 12:10 PM

Really unfunny/juvenile stuff.

You knew this was a mock interview right from the get-go because of the in-your-face, insulting intro. by Mitch, who then went on to claim that he had to turn the interview over to a staffperson. The staffperson then posed questions to "Mark Few" but there was no Mark Few. It was all taped trick. What they did was play selected parts of Mark Few's answers from the Dan Patrick interview as "answers" to the staffperson's questions. If you listen closely you can here Mark say "Dan" once or twice - and a lot of the "answers" don't really match the questions very well. It was an amatuer version of those beer commercials that take excerpts of a real press conference by an athlete or coach and splice them in as "answers" to scripted questions from the faux interrogator.

kclubfounder
03-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Dpouley finally wrote something I agree with. Mitch does not really care about Husky basketball. I think Mitch is by far the best KJR personality. His interviews are fantastic. He is a great story-teller. I find him very entertaining. And his 2 favorite sports are college basketball and golf. At the same time, I can't listen to the other guys. They bore me to death.

However, the Few hatred pisses me off. I have never heard why he dislikes him. I suspect Few dogged him on one too many interview requests, but I just don't know. I wish I did because I am a big fan of both of them.

Larrylegend
03-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Mitch is Syracuse man first and foremost...

If you think he's bad now, just imagine listening to Mitch if GU plays Syracus in the Elite 8!

Saxon_zag
03-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Mitch tries to say things just for the shock factor at times.. This mark few stuff along with some of the other garbage he spits off.. Bashing the mariners signing of Griffey junior would be another example.. The team is only going to win 85 games AT BEST anyway so why not put butts in the seats by bringing back seattles favorite sports icon and let him finish his career here... he just doesn't get it

Das Zagger
03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
It's a graveyard for talent.

Brandon Roy would like a word with you.

MedZag
03-25-2009, 03:16 PM
Brandon Roy would like a word with you.

As would Nate Robinson.

SUSpokanative
03-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Mitch is the worst of a not very good lot! They all sound like high school jocks who never matriculated beyond that level. He is bitter and incarticulate. Few doesn't provide the most entertaining interview. That' not his job and he doesn't care. Mitch took this all personally and has been tantruming about Few for years. Really bush league journalism even for sports radio.
I am also finished with KJR. The final straw was last week when they were bemoaning that the Hiskies and Zags were staying at the same hotel in Portland, and that maybe the Husky fans "Could talk to those people" and get the Zag-Husky series going again! Failed to acknowledge the truth about who cancelled the series and the UW's 1-9 record versus Gonzaga. Talk about HOMERS..

KJR and UW= FRONTRUNNER NATION

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Did hear that interview. IMO, Coach Few is one the best in giving all the right answers. Credible, careful not to give any Bulletin Board material, but he backs his team up diplomatically.

FuManShoes
03-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Wrong again. Mitch is Syracuse man first and foremost and anything he does in regards to the Huskies is simply from a stand point of being an on air personality in Seattle.

Mitch is about as unbiased a radio man when it comes to the Huskies as Seattle has.

Agreed. Mitch is a cool customer. I don't define Mitch by his animosity toward Few or whatever pissing match they have going. Maybe LoRo told Mitch he'd never go on KJR again if Few was on, so Mitch followed the company line and slammed Few. Who knows. Who cares. Mitch plays Sinatra and is funny and interviews people across the country to give a bigger view of the sporting world than that sick homer Softy. I don't love his entire schtick but it's a world better than a lot of radio shlock, including that amateur hour Wingman thing in Spokane.

kclubfounder
03-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I guess I have to be a Mitch defender here. SUSpokanenative, nobody in the media gives the UW a harder time about dropping Gonzaga from their schedule than Mitch. He does it every single time he gets the chance. Probably because he has NO loyalty to the UW and he knows it gets under the skin of all the UW faithful at the station.

A lot of mis-information is happening on this thread.

Mitch has a problem with Few. That is true. I wish I knew why. So far nobody on this thread has given a reason that makes any sense.

Mitch is NOT a fan of the UW and does NOT carry their water. I suppose you are confusing Softy with Mitch.

If you can't appreciate the rest of Mitch's work because of his dislike of Few then that is too bad, because the rest of his work is great.

NEC26
03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
From what I have gathered it is because Few would not come on his show and because of this Mitch thinks Few is stuck up (too big for his britches type thing)to make a long story short.

Edited to add:He also likes to rip on Spokane a lot he seems quite full of himself to me.

kclubfounder
03-25-2009, 04:47 PM
NEC, I think your right about Few not coming on the show. Both are probably to blame. Without knowing ANY of the details, I do know that Mitch is one of the biggest NCAA basketball supporters in the media. Considering that, and considering where Mitch is located, and who Mitch's audience is, and where Gonzaga is located, Few should have bent a little bit to accomodate Mitch.

I'll bet if given a truth serum, Few would admit to wishing he did something differently.

I bet if Few really wanted to, he could easily send an olive branch and turn Mitch around on a dime.

Bottom line, there is NO WAY that having THE sports radio personality in Western Washington against you is a good thing (plenty of high school kids listen to his show). I really hope they find a way to end this 'feud'.

NEC26
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
kclub I agree with you I enjoy his show. He has had a lot of interesting interviews on the tournament I have enjoyed. I do think its childish to take it on the air but whatever, I also agree that it probably doesn't help in recruiting.

Club Prez
03-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Mitch Levy can be an excellent sports radio personality - when he wants to. Some of his interviews are top notch.

However, many times his show is like an open sewer. I stopped listening to him years ago. I did dial in last week for some NCAA interviews, but this week every time I tuned in, he had diarrhea of the mouth with his "weasel" comments. And that "interview" this morning was the last straw. He has absolutely no class or maturity. :vomit-smiley-007:

dpouley
03-25-2009, 07:00 PM
From what I have gathered it is because Few would not come on his show and because of this Mitch thinks Few is stuck up (too big for his britches type thing)to make a long story short.

This has a TON to do with it.

As another note on this subject, I listened to Mitch last week and he had someone from KGA on his show. The guy from KGA was the guy that hosts the Gonzaga coaches show. During their interview, Mitch told the guy flat out that he gave Few a hard time because he felt that he did not do a lot for local media. And then during the course of the show, it came out (from the KGA host) that Mark Few had only done the Gonzaga coaches show one time this entire year. Mitch jumped on that as "another reason that Few is a jerk to the media" and I think that it has added fuel to Mitch's fire. It sounds like a lot of Mitch's opinion on Few comes from what Mitch has heard from other radio/tv guys and from his belief that Few does little to help the media.

I am NOT saying that Mitch is right, I am just re-telling what Mitch has implied on his show.

BoZarth
03-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Lived in Seattle for 20 years and rarely listen to the station. I agree that the amount of commercials are amazing.

1380 KRKO out of Everett was much better. I say was because until recently aired ESPN radio during the day. They've switched their format of late and have Dan Patrick in the morning and FOX Radio personalities throughout the day.

Happy to hear 710 KIRO is going the way of ESPN. KJR will take a hit.

Who cares what Mitch thinks about Gonzaga? He's barely known in Seattle as it is.

Go Zags!!!!

GoZags
03-25-2009, 08:34 PM
The story goes like this --- Mitch was planning a series of interviews with mid-major coaches and wanted Few to lead this off. Few didn't want to do an interview with the criteria that he was being interviewed because he coached a mid major school.

That's what sent Mitch and his faithful manservant Sandmeyer off about Few --- and led to the tag "The Weasel".

The fact of the matter is this --- Few doesn't crave the limelight. He doesn't crave media attention. He delegates a lot of this -- i.e. pregame/postgame, etc.

It's a "part of the job" for most -- and I think this part of Few's persona is what's helping keep Few at Gonzaga.

MedZag
03-25-2009, 08:38 PM
The fact of the matter is this --- Few doesn't crave the limelight. He doesn't crave media attention. He delegates a lot of this -- i.e. pregame/postgame, etc.

It's a "part of the job" for most -- and I think this part of Few's persona is what's helping keep Few at Gonzaga.

Thats what I always figured. Personally, I'm with him. Answering the same 15-20 questions over and over and over has got to be a drag.

zagfan08
03-25-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm probably in the minority but I like the morning show. Mitch does think Few is a little stuck up and the weasel comments sure get old, but for the most part I think it's pretty good.

Plus the Bigger Dance is coming up. Love it.

kclubfounder
03-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Very interesting Go Zags. That explains it.

My spin, as if anyone cares.

Sandmeyer SUCKS. I can't listen to him when Mitch is gone. And I love your description of him as the faithful manservant.

Few should have taken the interview and joked about how ridiculous it was that he was part of the "Mid-major coaches interviews". He should have joked with Mitch about the definition of "mid-major" and played along and won him over.

Once it was clear Mitch took it personally that Few wouldn't participate in Mitch's little interview game, he should have understood that having Mitch as an enemy is a bad idea and should have thrown Mitch an olive branch, as I stated earlier.

These 2 in a pissing match hurts Few more than it hurts Mitch. If anyone reading this can talk to Few and advise him to throw an olive branch at Mitch it would be a great thing to do for the good of the program.

Mitch is probably too full of himself (as stated in an earlier comment), but I am also too full of myself at times - and so are all of you. This is one time when Few should not be too full of himself because plenty of potential recruits listen to Mitch in the Morning whether you like him or not.

GoZags
03-25-2009, 09:01 PM
Sandmeyer is a petty, jealous little tart. He's jealous of Gonzaga and the success the basketball program has had. He went to Loyola Marymount (don't know if he graduated or not).

I often enjoy listening to Mitch -- but the windbag Sandmeyer is a waste, with one exception --- he was victim to an awesome putdown -- on the field -- by Husky Head Football Coach Keith Gilbertson.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030921&slug=uwnotes21
"The erratic first half left Gilbertson in little mood for his contractually obligated halftime interview with KJR. After sideline reporter Steve Sandmeyer told Gilbertson that it looked like the Huskies had displayed "a lack of discipline" in the first half, Gilbertson responded, "Who made you the coach?" Sandmeyer replied, "No one" and the interview ended there."