PDA

View Full Version : Article: Gonzaga tries to dispel rumors of Few's exit

caduceus
03-25-2009, 04:16 AM
A little rumor squashing from GU's AD and other tournament tidbits from The Olympian: (http://www.theolympian.com/sports/college/v-print/story/797874.html)

Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth knows the routine.

Gonzaga's basketball team wins a ton of games. A coaching job at a big-time school opens up, or might become available. And Mark Few's name immediately pops up front and center in speculation among media and fans.

The spiciest rumor at the NCAA Tournament in Portland last week was the latest installment of the Few-to-Oregon scenario. Roth, a strong supporter of Few, doesn't seem to be overly concerned.

"We're expecting Mark to be here for a long time," Roth said Tuesday.

OLD FRIENDS: North Carolina coach Roy Williams is looking forward to squaring off with Few on Friday in Memphis, if only so he can give his old friend and craps rival a whole lot of grief.

"He overachieved greatly when he married," Williams deadpanned during a Tuesday press conference in Chapel Hill, N.C. "A lot more than just about anybody I know."

On a more serious note, Williams called Few "one of the best coaches in our game." He said the Bulldogs are "a very, very good basketball team they deserve better than a four seed."

=caduceus=

ZagNative
03-25-2009, 05:22 AM
There is no news in that story, and the title is inflammatory, IMO. Howie Stallwick, the author of that piece, is starting to get on my nerves. I recognize he's just trying to make a living, but he recycles stuff and peddles it to area newspapers so it pops up in multiple outlets.

Much ado about nothing. Grrr.

CodeCobalt
03-25-2009, 05:24 AM
Its inevitable not to get a little nervous around this time of year. I sincerely believe that Mark Few is one of the greatest basketball coaches of all times. I love what he and his family have done for Spokane and the University.

While I believe Few loves and appreciates Spokane, he has said several times that he is not absolutely locked down to Spokane. Thankfully the school pays Few rather competitively because he is such an asset. That being said I don't see $$$ ever taking Few away from us. As long as Gonzaga remains competitive with big schools and has the opportunity to still grow he'll be with us.