PDA

View Full Version : Does this bother anyone else?

Saxon_zag
03-24-2009, 11:09 PM
on sportsbetting forum i post on it is filled with posts like this one
http://therxforum.com/showthread.php?t=671168

Just the lack of respect gonzaga gets even after getting to the sweet 16.. i know we beat 2 double digit seeds but wku was amazing and played probably there best game of the year minus their FT struggles...

i'm wondering even if we can beat unc if these people with the whole east coast bias/power conference homers will give us any respect...

Saxon_zag
03-24-2009, 11:14 PM
i guess what bothers me the most is just the ignorance.. i think some people (the ones posting blogs, and just on random forums, even the espn "experts") have never actually watched the zags play a full game all year but spout of things because of some numbers they read... OR just the fact that the zags will lose because of the name on the other teams jersey

MotoZag
03-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Doesn't bother me a bit. I can't help that some poor soul somewhere doesn't know Gonzaga Basketball.

MDABE80
03-24-2009, 11:49 PM
no worries....it's just talk . no balk.rains...just t

CodeCobalt
03-25-2009, 05:33 AM
it is indeed just talk but unfortunately, even if Gonzaga beats UNC it will just be seen as a lucky game by the zags by most of the nation. Most of the nation are tarheel fans and the heels have a lot of arrogant, ignorant fans that unfortunately have lots of air-time on TV. We can beat UNC by 20 points, and do it again next season in the tournament, sadly people would just complain about how its a 1 game season and how anyone can get hot at the right time.

I know everyone on this board says we arn't a cinderella anymore.... but in the eyes of the nation we are. I really don't know what its going to take to break that mold either. I feel we could win a championchip, and make it to the final four 3 years straight after, and still not be recognized.... I think its largely just a matter of ignorance. A lil bit more consistency wouldn't hurt either, that december drought made us look weak to a bunch.

Don't worry though folks, we KNOW we deserve to be here, there's absolutely no one who could reasonably say otherwise. Our program has been a lasting force for more than a decade, our SOS is only getting stronger.

Let UNC talk, they've been doing it darned near forever and just can't figure out how to make their own mouths shut. So lets do em a favor boys and put their feet in their mouths.

McZag
03-25-2009, 05:44 AM
Doesn't bother me a bit. I can't help that some poor soul somewhere doesn't know Gonzaga Basketball.

I love it. We want to fly as under the radar as possible. Give UNC no reason to believe they won't win this game. George Mason effect!

SHOCK THE WORLD!!!!!

bartruff1
03-25-2009, 06:21 AM
Consider the source...don't waste your time even reading them...

Reborn
03-25-2009, 06:59 AM
Consider the source...don't waste your time even reading them...

I Agree! The year Adam was a Senior I chatted in a Yahoo chat room for ncaa basketball durning the NCAA tournament. That's where I found out how sport fans feel around the country. Gonzaga was very respected, and so was Adam, in every place accept North Carolina and Duke. There were real Gonzaga haters there, and they especially hated Adam. Gonzaga has upset the traditional mind-set that Bigger is Better. And that little people can't compete. It's the way it is right now.

One thing the Zags can do to possibly change this forever is beat Carolina Friday. If we take 'em down, what can they say. If we lose, it will not silence the criticism. The criticism of the Zags comes because we have NOT made it past the Sweet 16 in ten years. I think in THEIR mind set, that to truly be Elite that you must go past the Sweet 16. We must remember that we did blow that lead against UCLA. We did blow the lead against Davidson. We did get beat by Arizona. We lost to Wyoming and Nevada in Seattle.

But this could be the year. We held up against Western Kentucky when we were suddenly, once again, ready to fall, again. But, this time, it didn't happen. In a matter of 7 or 8 seconds the Zags rose up from out of the ashes of past failures, and suddenly became the biggest story in the tournament next to Ty Lawson's toe.

The truth seems to be that Gonzaga is that little school that has changed the mold. Why is Gonzaga the team that is getting so much media attention all the time, and especially now? I think that although there are thousand in Carolina hoping the Tar Heels humiliate the Zags by 20 or more, there are hundreds of thousands around the country that are hoping the Zags beat the Tar Heels by 1. I believe that even for many that have UNC in the championship game in their brackets, if Gonzaga can take down Carolina, they will still feel good about that. In the end, America does like a good upset in this tournament. And this year, I feel the Nation is hungry for some. The tournament has been kind of a disappointment so far. But that could change this weekend. I, for one, hope so.

MedZag
03-25-2009, 07:00 AM
I find the stereotyping on east coast and south team boards about us people in the PacNW just as amusing. I mean, I know we hold our own misconceptions about the south, but if I had a dollar for every time I read the word "hippie" or "shrooms" or "bong" or "liberal" on the UNC board, I'd be a good ways on repaying my med school debt.

Its amazing I have enough time in my day to accomplish anything between bong hits while listening to my Kurt Cobain and staring at my Obama mural and sipping my Starbucks.

kitzbuel
03-25-2009, 07:13 AM
I find the stereotyping on east coast and south team boards about us people in the PacNW just as amusing. I mean, I know we hold our own misconceptions about the south, but if I had a dollar for every time I read the word "hippie" or "shrooms" or "bong" or "liberal" on the UNC board, I'd be a good ways on repaying my med school debt.

Its amazing I have enough time in my day to accomplish anything between bong hits while listening to my Kurt Cobain and staring at my Obama mural and sipping my Starbucks.

Rather ironic considering that the average North Carolinian would probably feel quite at home in or around Spokane. Pine forests leading up into foothills and mountains, pretty conservative population (it is east of Seattle), largely agricultural with a growing tech industry base, lots of military influence. Other than the colder winters, they would find it pretty familiar. I think Spokane compares favorably to Raleigh/Durham.

DixieZag
03-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Granted, it is a football analogy, but when I was growing up in the pre-BCS BS, every friggin year we would here about how the Big 10 team, pick one, Michigan/Wisconsin/Iowa/Illinois WHATEVER, was going to come out to Pasadena and be 8 point favorites, only to have the **it kicked out of them by a lil ol Pac 10 school. It is east coast bias, plain and simple. Not all of the teams in the Big East are that big of schools, but they get respect instantly b/c they play in the eastern time zone and the Big East is, well, the Big East. I am not saying that we would win 10 or 11 straight conf. championships in the Big East, but we would be competitive every year and probably with our consistency still be making the tourney AND getting respect.

HODGY
03-25-2009, 07:32 AM
I can't quite get a grip on what the complaint is in this thread.

Are you upset at Gonzaga beong picked to lose to UNC?
Because all of the talking heads and 'experts' have UNC as the team on upset alert.

Are you upset that Gonzaga is still considered a mid-major?
Because there is a thread that links to an article claiming Gonzaga is no longer a small time program, and that March Madness isn't the same without GU in there. (All of this on the board's front page)

Are you upset that a sports betting site has people picking UNC to win?
Because is it not logical to think a 1 seed would beat a 3 seed and that people feel comfortable betting on the 8.5pt favorite?

Y'all get plenty of respect down here. UNC fans are worried (you may be a 4 seed but Sagarin and Pomeroy have y'all as #6 and #8 best in the field of 64). Both sides believe in their team, and both sides will not overlook each other.

HODGY
03-25-2009, 07:38 AM
And let me apologize if there are any grammar errors. I am posting from my Crackberry at work.

bartruff1
03-25-2009, 08:49 AM
I suspect people believe what they have to believe for their own reasons and having reached a opinion (Ford vs Chev) or god forbid (Conservative vs Liberal) they will go find "facts" to support their opinion ...so nothing will change win or lose...believe me, you won't shut them up....don't waste your precious time ...isn't fan short for fanatic ??

Saxon_zag
03-25-2009, 09:33 AM
I can't quite get a grip on what the complaint is in this thread.

Are you upset at Gonzaga beong picked to lose to UNC?
Because all of the talking heads and 'experts' have UNC as the team on upset alert.

Are you upset that Gonzaga is still considered a mid-major?
Because there is a thread that links to an article claiming Gonzaga is no longer a small time program, and that March Madness isn't the same without GU in there. (All of this on the board's front page)

Are you upset that a sports betting site has people picking UNC to win?
Because is it not logical to think a 1 seed would beat a 3 seed and that people feel comfortable betting on the 8.5pt favorite?

Y'all get plenty of respect down here. UNC fans are worried (you may be a 4 seed but Sagarin and Pomeroy have y'all as #6 and #8 best in the field of 64). Both sides believe in their team, and both sides will nOot overlook each other.

Not upset, annoyed. Annoyed with the same old east coast bias/ power conference bias. I don't mind being called a mid-major it doesn't really matter our accomplishments can speak for themselves. More just wondering what the zags need to do to finally get some respect to be honest.

The "talking heads" don't all have the zags. When asked to predict the game hubert and digger laughed and said no way. Just a lack of respect and knowledge about the gonzaga program, but people still making uninformed comments about us.. thats what gets me