PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

upan8th
03-26-2007, 09:10 PM
A quote from Greg Nelson, who co-founded the USD basketball boosters club, in today's edition of the San Diego Union-Tribune: "USD is a great school, basketball has been a class program and there are some very good people that are still very active supporters. It's just sad that people aren't rewarded for running a clean, competitive program and graduating students like Brad (fired coach Brad Holland) did. If it's all about winning and not graduating players, IF WE'RE GOING BY THE STANDARDS OF GONZAGA NOW, then so be it (caps mine). That's the new face of USD basketball."

Oh, my. I'm afraid that seems to be the prevailing opinion around the league toward GU's winning, coach busting, program.

CDC84
03-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the new coach........

TheZagPhish
03-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the new coach........

Nope. But I have this suspicion that Grier will win them over.

zaggaz
03-27-2007, 12:01 AM
This is my first post. The reaction of USD should not be a surprise. I went to school at UCSD and learned how the San Diego college mind-scene works. The following is just my take.

There are really only three schools in San Diego - SDSU, UCSD and USD. Just saying that causes confusion. Everyone confuses the three schools. They all get upset about it, because they all think they are so different and better than the others.

UCSD thinks its the best in terms of brain and brawn. Being a UC System school, it is a behemoth. They get the money, the brightest kids (on a SAT and grade point average rating) and all the press (research this, discovery that, blah blah blah etc.) It does not hurt to be located in La Jolla. But, UCSD is a Div III school and lacks any semblance of a athletic program. They get a little self conscious about that.

SDSU is a Div I school all the way around. They have all the fun, all the parties all the girls etc. They are a party school and both UCSD and USD resent that. SDSU is located in a crappy part of SD.

USD falls somewhere in between. It has a higher admission standard than SDSU but lower than UCSD. They are Div. I for Basketball but Div. II for Football. They are anything but a party school. The girls are a notch above UCSD but lower than SDSU by a factor of ten. Remember, I went to UCSD - I know. USD takes the moral high ground and postures that they are better than both because they are private and Catholic. I never could figure this out because their location is killer and they should be trying to carve out their own identity, rather than compete with the state schools.

If you ever want to piss off a USD alumn, just say, "man, I love the Aztecs." So, when I hear that USD is sniping on GU for some belief that it lacks the academic standards of GU, it's just a natural knee jerk reaction that USD has with other schools. And, because GU is on the level with USD in terms of being a private school, Catholic, in the WCC etc, they cannot stand that GU is recruiting and performing better than it does. So, naturally, USD naturally thinks that GU must be lowering it's academic standards. It must be, or so the mind set goes.

drnoe
03-27-2007, 06:39 AM
SDSU is located in a crappy part of SD.

SDSU may be 15 miles away from the beach, but it is located high atop a mesa surrounded by canyons...very beautiful campus...not that bad of a surrounding neighborhood. Also, they have probably the nicest on-campus arena on the west coast.