PDA

View Full Version : Who comes up BIG against NC

fedwayzag
03-24-2009, 07:21 PM
I've been thinking about it for a while. I really believe we can beat NC. But, in order to do so we need someone besides Josh, Matt or Jeremy to have a great game. Say more then double there season points average or lock down one of NC guns. So who do you think it will be??

Steven Gray keeps popping into my head. We all know he can go off from 3 pt land. If Steven gets hot and goes for 20 or more and we do not let someone from NC go off for 40 pts (Stephon Curry), then we win.

So who do you think it might be?? Micah, Goodson, Austin, IRA or maybe even Will??

edcasey
03-24-2009, 07:38 PM
For me the key will be on the defensive end. I think we have enough offensive firepower to win this game but as I looked at some of the games UNC played and their stats I am conviniced that we can get it done on the defensive end to get a win.

Thompson seemed to have foul trouble in key games, both in losses as well as in close wins. His shooting was suspect in many of these games and some of the fouls came in the gambling defense. Splits his time with Davis who comes off the bench. I see Daye creating matchup issues and drawing fouls if UNC tries to man us.

Green seems to have issues with turnovers in their losses and close wins. However the key is to limit his steals. his shot selection was suspect during these games, shooting at about 30% from 3 point line in the losses or close games (of which is his primary shot selection as in each game outlined he has shot more than half of his shots from the 3 point line even at 6-6). Also had foul trouble in trying to block out which could be a key.

Ellington seemed to have turnover issues during their losses and close wins. Strong rebounder so will need to limit this . Good matchup for Bouldin

We all know about lawson. However on Tyler H I think a solid defender such as Josh will create issues so long as Josh remains grounded and doesnt take the ball fakes. We have enough weakside help when in man sliding off of thompson to keep Josh in solid defensive position. I say force Tyler to put ball on ground and do not go for ball fakes and we will do just fine.

Will also see some match up to protect from foul trouble but also to limit rebounding from weakside that Tyler makes a living on.

I see us inverting our offense alot to see if we can post up JP or MB and draw some fouls on theiir guards. It also slows down their transition as their guards are down below the foul line so outlets are not as easily handled as when guarding above the line.

With that, we do need Austin to be on his game and Steven shooting well will help out tremendously.

I look for a gritty, tough game that will be a great game to watch. Evenly matched , evenly skilled teams which makes for a dang good game. However, I think we have the added offensive Options, which could mean a lot as possessions get limited towards the end of the game

Gonzaga by 6......82-76

bartruff1
03-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Is that NOBODY knows who will "have a great game"...any of the 7 players who will play the most minutes could have a big game.....if 3 of them do, we might just win.

Birddog
03-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Everybody has to play their best game, UNC will kill us if we have lapses. For some reason, I think Foster might be a difference maker in this game. I don't think he is going to "blow up" or anything, but I do think he might give us up to 10 mins or so of solid defense with fouls to give. I'd love to see him swat a few on TH, and intimidate him.
Call me crazy.

fedwayzag
03-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Birddog, not calling you crazy at all. Just might be big Will's defense and rebounding that sparks the team. Never know. That's what is great about the game.

ZagLawGrad
03-24-2009, 08:48 PM
I like Steven as a candidate to deliver a big game. And Ira? He seems to have been absent lately---not many "spark plug" plays like we had seen earlier in the season----but Ira could be a huge factor if he can deliver with some tough play against the NC wide bodies.

Will---I really wonder if he gets any minutes at this juncture? Kinda hope so.

chipchildress
03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
is that one of your three point shooters will go wild. don't know which one, but if that happens, the bulldogs have a great shot.

on the other side, if ellington is cold, carolina is in trouble.

Nevtelen
03-24-2009, 09:00 PM
If Will and/or Ira see more than spot duty in this game, GU is in trouble IMO. Will runs well for his size, but can't keep up with the Carolina bigs in transition, which is where a ton of this game will probably be played. Ira has the effort, but not the height against elite competition like this. He'll have a few fouls to give vs Hansbrough or Thompson, but if he has to play more than 5 mins or so, GU will have problems IMO.

I think Austin has to have a monster game for us to have a chance. He can't get into foul trouble (deserved or the rediculously silly foul calls he seems to attract, it doesn't matter) and he needs to be on, especially defensively. If he has a bad game, GU is in trouble.

I'd love to see Gray or Micah step up in this one. Gray has practically disappered late in the season, which is disappointing. I'd rather he attacked in this game a la UConn than just launch a bunch of 3s. Even if he misses the shots, he can put foul pressure on UNC and he's as athletic as anyone either team can put on the court.

CDC84
03-24-2009, 09:07 PM
When Bouldin doesn't play well, Gonzaga tends to lose, or not perform as well. I am not saying that he needs to have a monster game, but he needs to have a good all around performance.

However, I do feel that Daye or Heytvelt need to have a monster game. High 20's in scoring with 10+ on the glass.

MotoZag
03-24-2009, 09:11 PM
I personally don't think Meech will have a hard time keeping up with Lawson considering Lawson was off his feet for just over 2 weeks and might have lost a step conditioning-wise. If Meech stays in to guard Lawson, I can see Few rotating Bouldin and Pargo in and occasionally running a 3 guard set. Hitting our 3s will be the game decider, methinks.

Jabberwock
03-24-2009, 09:25 PM
I think it all comes down to how daye plays, everyone else matches up well against each other. Daye as per usual is a defensive nightmare for opposing teams. He has to see more then the 19 minutes he saw last week against WK. He has to play off on the perimeter, i know he loves putting the ball back in your face, but he doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend like a guard. Was anyone else nervous when they saw him matched up against mendez-valdez early in that game? Heytvelt i'm not really worried about down low defensively. Over the past years he has really figured out how to defend the block and stay straight up. The only concern is if the refs see that POTY tag on TH and decide to call those fouls when he jumps into the defensive and throws up that ugly shot he calls a post move. By the way can anyone recall the last time they saw someone shoot a set shot? I think its been girls high school for me.

ZagLawGrad
03-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Daye has been up and down, but obviously he has great talent and a big upside.

However, if we have to rely on AD to be the player who has the big game that gives the Zags a victory Friday night, I have to be honest and say that makes me real nervous.

billyberu
03-24-2009, 11:14 PM
What about Micah? If we have any real advantage I would think it's at the SF position and Micah can not only be a problem on the offensive end, but most importantly on the defensive end. He's long, can jump out of the gym and can board too. If he starts making his three's than lookout.

At this point, Micah all-around game is more reliable than Daye's. I think we need to have Daye score between 10 - 15pts to be competitive and Micah needs to score in the same range, pull down about 8 rebounds and create havoc on defense. If he catches fire somehow and scores over 20 then UNC is going down.

omahazag
03-25-2009, 05:44 AM
I've been thinking about it for a while. I really believe we can beat NC. But, in order to do so we need someone besides Josh, Matt or Jeremy to have a great game. Say more then double there season points average or lock down one of NC guns. So who do you think it will be??

Steven Gray keeps popping into my head. We all know he can go off from 3 pt land. If Steven gets hot and goes for 20 or more and we do not let someone from NC go off for 40 pts (Stephon Curry), then we win.

So who do you think it might be?? Micah, Goodson, Austin, IRA or maybe even Will??

I'm with ya Fedway as far as Steven Gray poping into the head. I really feel he needs to knock down some big 3 point baskets for us....he, is my x-factor.

4AmericasTeam
03-25-2009, 05:54 AM
I like Micah as an "X" factor. He is long and athletic, can rebound, and creates a real matchup nightmare that frees up other teammates more when he's both shooting from outside and going to the basket.

siliconzag
03-25-2009, 06:49 AM
I like Micah as an "X" factor. He is long and athletic, can rebound, and creates a real matchup nightmare that frees up other teammates more when he's both shooting from outside and going to the basket.

My fellow Kirkland boy has been steady since being reinserted into the starting lineup. Very few lapses. In fact in some ways he has been the difference since the Memphis game. Accordingly I think we need step up game from somebody else, unless of course, Micah goes Morrison on us, which I think he could.

What is good about this version of the Zags, assuming they play as a team and move without the ball, pass the ball well, and look for the open man or mismatches, is that that anyone on the floor can score. And our best games have been when we've had balanced scoring. I think Josh was mauled in the last game, and was not doggin it. However if they can shut him down, we may be in trouble. There is a lot of speculating going on, which is natural, but I like how we match up against the Tarheels. I think we are going to beat them. Lawson will not be 100% with his toe. I think Matt is going to have to shave his head.

Sili

DixieZag
03-25-2009, 07:08 AM
But IMHO, it is our "star" potential NBA recruit that needs to come to play with all guns, Austin Daye has to create shots, draw fouls (looking at you TH), play tough defense and spot up and hit threes, and oh yeah, he needs to rebound on the offensive boards. I know that is asking a lot, but he is supposed to be able to do this, and we have won 2 tournament games largely without him. It is one thing to put up 28 against SCU, it is another to put up 16, with 7 rebounds and 5 assists and 2 blocked shots against NCU. THAT is what we need, I expect the same great play from all the others.

zagsfan21
03-25-2009, 07:15 AM
I think that Steven has a very good possibility to be the X factor in this game. I'd like to see him come out gunning, like the Davidson game (7-12 on 3s). We're going to need all the offense we can get against UNC, and if someone like Steven can explode off the bench, our chances of winning increase greatly.

Reborn
03-25-2009, 07:25 AM
MEECH THE X FACTOR

The X factor, I think, is Goodson. With one shot he erased the stigma that Gonzaga could not "close the deal." He did. And his defense on OMV was also a big factor in that game. I think the key to beat Carolina is slowing down Lawson, and I think that Meech is the one to do that. If we can keep Lawson below 20 points I think we can win.

The two biggest match-ups are Pargo vs Lawson and Hansbrough vs Heytvelt. These are HUGE. If we can win these match ups we win.

Baldwinzag
03-25-2009, 07:33 AM
MEECH THE X FACTOR

The X factor, I think, is Goodson. With one shot he erased the stigma that Gonzaga could not "close the deal." He did. And his defense on OMV was also a big factor in that game. I think the key to beat Carolina is slowing down Lawson, and I think that Meech is the one to do that. If we can keep Lawson below 20 points I think we can win.

I concur with Reborn. I think this game will come down to two things for Gonzaga: 1.) Foul Trouble. 2.) Our defense on Lawson.

This is where Meech comes in. If we can limit Lawson's effectiveness then its as good as cutting the head off a giant. We will prevail. UNC lost without him and barely scored 70 points when he was out with injury and then struggled mightily vs LSU when Lawson was rehabbing on the bench. We've seen UNC with and without Lawson. They're nearly unbeatable when he plays well and when he struggles, they're very beatable. Its that simple. If Goodson can contain Ty throughout the game, he'll undoubtebly be our X-Factor and we could very well beat UNC.

MJ777
03-25-2009, 09:41 AM
The X factors:

Big Will with some good picks, blocks and boards.
Austin having a confident game like he had against Arizona (but with the W).
Gray making some 3s, and doing the little things.
Ira playing big with a lot of energy and playing D and boarding like he can.
Meech playing tough D on Ty Lawson and doing the little things.

JP, MD, JH and MB just need to have solid games and run the offense with whoever is on the court to get the best looks for the TEAM.

Be tough, be strong, be confident. BEAT UNC!!

CB4
03-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Who comes up big for the Zags? Josh Heytvelt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE

77Zag
03-25-2009, 10:08 AM
He closes the game with three 3's in a route -- total team effort.

Zags win by 25 :D

hockeyzag
03-25-2009, 11:16 AM
All of our players need to play well. Though here are a couple things I think are absolutely essential to us winning the game:

-Matt needs to play a good all around game like CDC said.
-Jeremy needs to play like he did against Western Kentucky, points, assists, and low turnover numbers
-Heytvelt needs to play tough down low and attempt no more than 2 three's (at least one of which he hits)
-Micah doesn't need to dominate, but he does need to rebound and play solid like he has been.
-Meech needs to frustrate Lawson somehow

X-factor
-Daye I believe that for us to win Austin Daye needs to step up against big competition like he's never stepped up before. He is the only player I believe that hasn't really played as good as he can lately. If Austin plays great I really think we can win it. Rebounds, Blocks, coupled on offense with that sweet stroke of his.

What I'm really excited about is our team's demeanor for this game. I think they'll be ready. I think they'll have a fire in their eyes the likes of which we have yet to see in any game yet this year.

And contrary to popular belief, I'm not scared of UNC, and I don't think the team is either. We can beat them.

GonzagaDynasty
03-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I've been thinking about this too.. And I believe we Need Austin to step up, but I really believe the keys to this game, are Steven and Micah.. especially Steven. We need him to make it rain from 3.. We can do this. I've never believed in this team as much as I do right now..

Lets shock the world!

bartruff1
03-25-2009, 01:22 PM
He closes the game with three 3's in a route -- total team effort.

Zags win by 25 :D Send me some of whatever you are using...

MTPAWR
03-25-2009, 03:03 PM
I think Micah Downs will be the man...He has the potential to create a lot of matchup problems with his size and range. This will allow JH to operate inside.

Pargo is a pro. I expect him to have a big game as well.