PDA

View Full Version : You will have a MAJOR home court advantage...

adallastiger
03-24-2009, 06:32 PM
...trust me. Yes, we can't stop Carolina fans from coming. But ALL MEMPHIS IS GOING TO BE BEHIND YOU!

Good luck!

A Dallas Tiger

hockeyzag
03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
I really hope you're right. Regardless we appreciate your support.

DoMieD
03-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Hopefully your right! Thanks for the support!

Go ZAGS! BEAT UNC!!

Go Tigers! Beat Missouri! :)

kclubfounder
03-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Tiger in Dallas,

I promise you that some day Memphis will play in the Northwest in the NCAA tournament and we WILL pay you back.

Here's to meeting you in Detroit before the championship game between Memphis and Gonzaga!

And here is to continuing a GREAT friendly rivalry for years and years to come.

Heelsfan09
03-24-2009, 07:00 PM
I have to disagree, maybe its just my bias lol 1st of all its hard to out fan UNC, espeially since its alot closer to memphis then the zags..2nd thing is alot of the tickets will go to student body and family members..3rd thing, like always there will people from memphis trying to make a buck, so they will sell tickets for higher value to people dying to go to the game.And no offense a dallas tiger but how can u speak for a whole city, did they have a city hall meeting lol Saying every1 root for the zags, i think people will root for who they want to..UNC fans travel in drums and im pretty sure u will see that again..

rawkmandale
03-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Are those 55 gallon drums?

Heelsfan09
03-24-2009, 07:09 PM
LOL thats about right.. Well with these economic times, why would every 1 from memphis pay top dollar to go to a game that dosent involve there team? Are they just gonna go to root for the zags? 90 percent of the crowd will be a fan of 1 or the other team, i dunt knw what casual fan will pay 100s of dollars to see teams he dosent like..Just to give some team a home crowd lol

adallastiger
03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
...has no idea how much Memphis is going to back Gonzaga. But one of these days we will play out there, and LOL, you will have to pay us back!

Go Zags!

CB4
03-24-2009, 07:12 PM
As someone mentioned before, it would be awesome if the Kennel Club sent T-Shirts to the head of the University of Memphis student section to distribute to those who are attending the game.

NEC26
03-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Although we love the support I highly doubt we'll have any kind of home court advantage. I imagine the Heel fans will be showing up in force.

MickMick
03-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Im pulling for the Zags.

But if they lose.....Go Tigers!!!

CelticZag
03-24-2009, 07:29 PM
As someone mentioned before, it would be awesome if the Kennel Club sent T-Shirts to the head of the University of Memphis student section to distribute to those who are attending the game.

Or the 8000 "Gonzaga is Bulletproof" T-shirts they were giving out at the Alumni event here. Or I guess the Memphis fans could just go to the alumni event there and pick one up...

kclubfounder
03-24-2009, 07:32 PM
I figured listening to a Heels fan would be tough because of their accent and attitude, but I never thought reading a Heels fan would be tough. lol.

UNCbiz
03-24-2009, 07:41 PM
I seriously doubt Gonzaga is going to have a home-court advantage. Why would there be a lot of Memphis fans there? The tickets are primarily split between the four participating schools (i.e., UNC, Gonzaga, OU, and Syracuse).

skan72
03-24-2009, 07:46 PM
LOL thats about right.. Well with these economic times, why would every 1 from memphis pay top dollar to go to a game that dosent involve there team? Are they just gonna go to root for the zags? 90 percent of the crowd will be a fan of 1 or the other team, i dunt knw what casual fan will pay 100s of dollars to see teams he dosent like..Just to give some team a home crowd lol

A team he/she doesn't like?

On this board in the past few days alone, I have counted at least 10 Memphis fans that have said there will be a ton of Memphis fans supporting the Zags because they are fans and like the Zags, behind Memphis of course. The same goes if Memphis was playing up here. We like Memphis, as a school and team, and they like us, because we are in weaker conferences and play each other every year to help each other out, and to get some great competition.

I don't know about the rest of the Zag fans, but I'm fairly confident the vast majority of Memphis' fans don't regard us as a team "they dunt like".

rawkmandale
03-24-2009, 07:48 PM
What - 500 alloted to each school? The vast majority were purchased a year ago, many by folks that live within driving distance of the Forum. Yes, many of those folks will sell them if their team didn't make it there, but I'm seeing plenty of posting by area fans that just want to see some great games, and are holding onto them. I think a huge percentage of those folks will root for Gonzaga due to the lengthy honoring of Memphis we have shown by the 4 year home and home.

Also, we have beaten Tennessee three times in the last two years. I doubt we were rude about it, and fans like to see the team that beat them do well, to feel better about the "experience." So, I think a lot of folks that live in the region, and are coming because they have tickets, will support Gonzaga.

Plus, UNC has been SO GOOD for SO LONG, that people naturally like to see someone else get the title shot.

HOOTER
03-24-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm personally not too worried about it either way. Gonzaga doesn't need home court advantage to win. They've gone into hostile environments this season and pulled out wins (Tennessee, WSU and Saint Marys to name a few). It would be wonderful to see Memphis fans show up in full force to support the Zags, but if not I will be no less confident in their ability to pull off the win.

skan72
03-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I seriously doubt Gonzaga is going to have a home-court advantage. Why would there be a lot of Memphis fans there? The tickets are primarily split between the four participating schools (i.e., UNC, Gonzaga, OU, and Syracuse).

So, let's say they are divided up by the 4 schools. Well, I'm sure the Gonzaga fans will either make the trek or get their tickets to someone who will cheer for Gonzaga. Plus the 500 allotted to Memphis, of which I'm sure a lot of those fans will cheer for Gonzaga. Where do the rest go exactly? People who already bought them who live close? Well they'll either be Memphis fans, or fans of another university in the state. They'll go and root for whoever or sell the tickets to Memphis fans eager to go or UNC fans possibly.

As someone else pointed out, I've just been looking at Memphis Tigers' forums, a LOT of people have said: I'm going/Taking my kids/Have nose-bleed section but it doesn't matter/etc., and all of them have said they'll be doing the opposite of cheering for UNC.

UNCbiz
03-24-2009, 07:58 PM
500 to each school? I don't think that's right. Last year, when I was at the Charlotte regional, there was a very distinct crowd of each school present (Wash. St., Louisville, and Tenn.) and FAR more than 500 from each school were there in their respective sections.

kclubfounder
03-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Yo, UNC Biz,

I hope you have a similar home court advantage as you had at Madison Square Garden 2 years ago.

I wonder who OU and Syracuse will be cheering for? I suppose the soft-spoken non-arrogant UNC team and fans will attract their affection.

So I sure hope the Memphis fans will side with us, because OU and Syracuse are bound to cheer for your loveable fans and team.

skan72
03-24-2009, 08:12 PM
500 to each school? I don't think that's right. Last year, when I was at the Charlotte regional, there was a very distinct crowd of each school present (Wash. St., Louisville, and Tenn.) and FAR more than 500 from each school were there in their respective sections.

Not what I said, not even close. I said the 4 schools split up tickets, and then there are 500 allotted to Memphis, as in the university.

Wyogrizboy
03-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Memphis Tiger Season ticket holders received the option to pre-purchase
South Regional tickets before they went on sale to the general public. I've had mine for quite some time. My original idea was to re-sell the tickets since scalping is legal in Memphis. Once I saw the Zags were in the region I decided to go cheer for them instead. Since Memphis sells 17.000+ season tickets, I would imagine that several people did the same. That's why the regional sold out so fast. The UNC fans should know that after the Vasquez comments last week, no one in Memphis will be rooting for an ACC team. Go ZAGS!!!

Tigers2640
03-24-2009, 08:31 PM
I wonder who OU and Syracuse will be cheering for? I suppose the soft-spoken non-arrogant UNC team and fans will attract their affection.

So I sure hope the Memphis fans will side with us, because OU and Syracuse are bound to cheer for your loveable fans and team.

A key point I hadn't thought of. I'm sure plenty of fans of the losing team will clear out but the remaining would pull for Gonzaga.

Is there any type of pep rally planned here in Memphis? A group of us would gladly attend that.

edit: Found the link for the social at B.B. King's in another thread.

UNCbiz
03-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Memphis sells 17,000+ season tickets?? I seriously doubt that, unless your students/faculty/etc have to buy season tickets to attend. FedEx Forum only holds about 18,000, which would leave only 1,000 or so for students, faculty, and visiting fans.

Compare that to the Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill which holds 21,750 -- of that, only about 13,000 are season tickets. The rest are students (free), faculty (discounted), and misc. athletic department seats.

I'm sure it will be a great atmosphere this weekend! Can't wait.

ZagLawGrad
03-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Having a friendly crowd is nice. But at this level and with the experience the players on both teams have, the "will" to win ultimately comes from within.

rawkmandale
03-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah - the crowd support might be worth only 2 points. Oh wait, we'll be glad to take those 2 points!

Pargo the Destroyer
03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I just wanted to post in THIS thread.........

Done, carry on.

Jabberwock
03-24-2009, 08:59 PM
I've been to both tournaments held at the arena here in spokane, and as i recall there were more general tickets then there were for the schools. I was at the tournament in 03 when UCONN was in our region. After the final game was played everyone was piled up in the hallway around the arena watching the 3OT game against Arizona. They had to put the game on the jumbo screen so people could get to the exits. Nobody left, 10,000 strong cheering on the zags watching on the big screen! One of the coolest experiences i've encountered as a bulldog fan.

TigerfriendofZags
03-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Trust me, Tiger fans will be there in droves (not drums) to support our brother team, the Zags. For one thing, we cannot STAND UNC and their arrogance. For another, yes, we do sell out our pro arena for most games, 17,000 plus. So, there are plenty Tiger fans who are also Zag fans. Many of us hope to pick up tickets after the first game, and the tickets should be quite reasonable.

And lastly, we RESPECT and LOVE our Zags and the friendly rivalry we share with them. We hope to meet you all in the final game!

We look forward to hosting you all on world-famous Beale Street! And I look forward to meeting some of you at the alumni party. Make yourselves at home and have a wonderful time. Try our world-famous bbq and listen to some Memphis music. We are the birthplace of rock and roll and the home of the blues.

GO ZAGS!

rawkmandale
03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Man, would I love to be able to take a stroll on Beale Street, eat some BBQ, and check out the local music scene - all after a very satisfying upset of UNC.

ZagLawGrad
03-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Man, would I love to be able to take a stroll on Beale Street, eat some BBQ, and check out the local music scene - all after a very satisfying upset of UNC.

You might not be too late to join 2011Zag and his young grass hopper buddies for that 30 hour drive to Memphis----sounds like a fun road trip.

TigerfriendofZags
03-24-2009, 09:19 PM

It won't cost top dollar. Tickets for a single game will probably be about $35.
Yes, we are just gonna go root for the Zags, since we LOVE them, and we can't stand you guys.
Read our board. You will finds lots and lots of people will be there for the Zags. You will not find ONE Carolina fan on our board.
And we just love to party down on Beale Street. We will be out in force Friday night wearing our Tiger blue, and remember, IF you should get past the Zags, you WON'T get past us! Cheers!

alaskazagnut
03-25-2009, 12:47 AM
it might be equal support. Most UNC fans are like yankees fans, band wagon fans. The state residents, locals, students, alumni and family of alumni are the true fans for any schools fan base.

Many will travel, many actually live in Tennessee.

Gonzaga has the same type of fan base. We are not that much different than UNC now. We win. Many people like to follow, bet on and root for winners.

People love to hate UNC more than Gonzaga though.

That might help pull the the middle of the road ticket holders towards the Zags and who everyone will be cheering for in the last 5 minutes when it matters.

Go Zags.

DrDrivel
03-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Down with punctuation@^

?

)

And whil were at it & spelling is overrrate.

Wyogrizboy
03-25-2009, 03:45 AM
Memphis sells 17,000+ season tickets?? I seriously doubt that, unless your students/faculty/etc have to buy season tickets to attend. FedEx Forum only holds about 18,000, which would leave only 1,000 or so for students, faculty, and visiting fans.

Compare that to the Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill which holds 21,750 -- of that, only about 13,000 are season tickets. The rest are students (free), faculty (discounted), and misc. athletic department seats.

Yes..17,000+ season tickets. That is why it is such a hard ticket to get. Memphis sells out even the nosebleeds, or what we call the Best Buy Zone. Every game someone in the nosebleeds wins a free 50" TV. There is a wait list already for next season. Of course what would you expect for a team that has been to 4 straight 16's?

UNCbiz
03-25-2009, 04:17 AM
Yes..17,000+ season tickets. That is why it is such a hard ticket to get. Memphis sells out even the nosebleeds, or what we call the Best Buy Zone. Every game someone in the nosebleeds wins a free 50" TV. There is a wait list already for next season. Of course what would you expect for a team that has been to 4 straight 16's?
You missed my point -- I don't doubt that you sell out the arena each game. I'm talking about *season ticket* sales. For example, we sold out every one of our football games this year (capacity 60,000), but only 35,000 are season tickets -- the rest are student, faculty, etc. seats.

Typically, only 60-70% or so of most sold-out arenas are season ticket seats... unless, like I said, Memphis sells season tickets to their students which factors into the 17,000+. If so, then that makes sense. We don't sell tickets to our students ... they get in free.

That said, I guarantee UNC will have many more fans there than Memphis.

HODGY
03-25-2009, 04:35 AM
Ok, I am a UNC fan that lives in Memphis, and believe me when I say that the Tigers sell out the Forum with season tickets. It is not hard to believe when considering they are essentially the only pro team in Memphis and the Grizz are terrible. Don't forget that Memphis is the largest city in the state and West TN is much more of a basketball oriented fanbase than East TN (baseball and foozeball).

With that said, I have tickets I purchased from Memphis fans and I am driving in from Knoxville Friday to cheer on my Heels in person for only the 2nd time (Jan. 05 against Maryland at the Dean Dome was my first). By the way, I do not see how Zags fans like the Tigers. I can't stand Coach Cal or his knack for one-and-done-don't-graduate-players routine. The whole town becomes delusional around this time of year. Sorry to knock y'all's "fellow breathren" but y'all don't have to hear the sports talk radio 24/7

UNCbiz
03-25-2009, 04:41 AM
Hodgy, you completely missed my point, too. Oh well.

HODGY
03-25-2009, 04:51 AM
Hodgy, you completely missed my point, too. Oh well.

No, I think I got it--that the FedEx Forum should only be 60 to 70% season tickets and the rest go to students. It is obviously an off-campus arena and I am pretty sure the students pay for their tickets. Either way, all of the tickets not allotted to students, I almost guarantee, sold out.

It also shouldn't be surprising since last year they had the record of NCAA wins and went to the Big Game. Unlike UNC, Memphis actually puts people in the seats on Sunday morning games or Christmas Break games-just like if the Heels played in Charlotte.

UNCbiz
03-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Right... that's what I was saying. I wasn't questioning whether Memphis sold out the arena in general -- I stated as much above. I don't doubt at all Memphis's ability to sell out an 18,000 seat arena.

zagsmyboys
03-25-2009, 05:17 AM
One thing to think about is... If your not there for UNC then your there for Gonzaga. What I mean is every one roots for the underdog in a game that they dont really care about. Being a season ticket holder.....that means you love basketball regardless! I think there are going to be allot more Zags fans there just because of the whole "underdog" thing. All I know is it is going to be a great game and I wish I was going to be there!!

GO GONZAGA!!!!!!!!!!! :000tens:

tigercat
03-25-2009, 05:30 AM
Right... that's what I was saying. I wasn't questioning whether Memphis sold out the arena in general -- I stated as much above. I don't doubt at all Memphis's ability to sell out an 18,000 seat arena.

First! Go Zags!

Actually Memphis could and would sell out a 22-25K arena at this period of time in our program's success.

I have a close friend who is an avid NC graduate and supporter in a big way of Tarheel sports. His family and mine are having Easter dinner together. He will not know who I am really rooting for!LOL

Memphis has developed a fondness for the Zags and their fans. We have very much in common and fight like the dickens to beat each other, but like brothers, its all "forgiven" when the heat of battle subsides.

I'm sure Memphians will be polite and respectful to all our visitors, including the Tarheels. Enjoy our great city and I'm sorry your experience in Memphis will include an early exit from the Dance.

TigerfriendofZags
03-25-2009, 06:11 AM
I am not sure how many of our 17,000+ tickets belong to season ticket holders, but our students get in free and we only have about 400 students to attend our games usually. We are a commuter school.

Memphis IS our pro team. And we had 17,000+ fans in our pro arena (we play where the Grizzlies play) recently when we had about six inches of snow on the ground.

This is a basketball town. We know and love basketball. You can be sure that the majority of fans from Memphis who will have the lion's share (Tiger's share) of tickets will be pulling for Gonzaga with all their might. Check our message board. As so many have said, we will be screaming our lungs out for the Zags.

But we are also known as one of the most polite and friendly fan bases around.

MedZag
03-25-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm sure Memphians will be polite and respectful to all our visitors, including the Tarheels. Enjoy our great city and I'm sorry your experience in Memphis will include an early exit from the Dance.

:D Made my morning, thanks tigercat.

DixieZag
03-25-2009, 07:39 AM
How can you dis coach Cal? The man personally put Memphis basketball squarley on the map AND much more importantly, he respects our program so much that he and our staff schedule each other each year as a "test" of where there program is. Now, most of you Heel fans on this board have been great, but you don't understand the bond we have with Memphis and the chats between each teams fans pregame and all season. We are BROTHERS, right now, we are the little brother, fine, but there comes a time when little bro grows up -- and Memphis fans will be the first to recognize it and cheer for us 364 days a year. You heel fans have nothing to compare it to, that is not your fault, it is a matter of your success, like the Yankees, so you are going to be rooted against by all fans who are not heels, but, beyond that, THIS BOND is special. Guess y'all will just have to figure it out, Go Zags, Go Tigers, lets meet for beers in Detroit.

HOOTER
03-25-2009, 07:56 AM
How can you dis coach Cal? The man personally put Memphis basketball squarley on the map AND much more importantly, he respects our program so much that he and our staff schedule each other each year as a "test" of where there program is. Now, most of you Heel fans on this board have been great, but you don't understand the bond we have with Memphis and the chats between each teams fans pregame and all season. We are BROTHERS, right now, we are the little brother, fine, but there comes a time when little bro grows up -- and Memphis fans will be the first to recognize it and cheer for us 364 days a year. You heel fans have nothing to compare it to, that is not your fault, it is a matter of your success, like the Yankees, so you are going to be rooted against by all fans who are not heels, but, beyond that, THIS BOND is special. Guess y'all will just have to figure it out, Go Zags, Go Tigers, lets meet for beers in Detroit.

I tried to give you a positive rep for this but I apparently need to spread some around first. This is a great description of the relationship between Memphis and Gonzaga right now. Both teams have alot in common and we share a bond that many just can't understand. I personally root for Memphis in every game they play, except Gonzaga of course. If we don't win the national title, I hope to God it's Memphis.

UNCbiz
03-25-2009, 07:58 AM
400 students?? That's all?? Wow. We typically have 5-6,000 at each game. Even being a commuter school, I would think your team's success would breed a desire among your commuter students to go to the games. Maybe they do want to... they just can't because you sell all your seats as season tickets!

See you in Memphis!

HODGY
03-25-2009, 08:05 AM
How can I diss Coach Cal? It is really easy actually. I have grown to despise the man since I moved to Memphis in 2001. Up in the NW y'all might not hear all of the news regarding Memphis and their program.

First- Just Coach Cal at UMASS is enough to dislike the guy, Chaney even tried to choke him.

2nd- He recruits the wrong players for college ball and has zero shame in it. He gets one and doners who come to Memphis as a stepping stone and to take advantage of the accepting fanbase. Then they proceed to have the worst or one of the worst graduation rates in the NCAAT. The guy seems to not even care about providing his non NBA players with an education.

3rd- He tried to end the Tenn/Memphis bball game because he did not want to lose his in-state recruiting advantage. The UT AD threatened to end the football series between the two and the money brought the bball series back to Cal's disgust (funny since even though I graduated from UT I hate UT basketball and Pearl as well-in fact Cal and Pearl are nearly the same loudmouths).

4th- This may be offensive to Zaga fans since y'all have such a nice bond, but Tigers players are thugs.
-Punching UAB fan in the face
-Domestic Violence at 3am in the middle of a road
-Multiple fights and disturbances at Plush Club near Beale where Cal had to finally ban them from going there
-The whole fur coat scandal and false police report thing from a couple years back
-Then, the program had the whole 1985 team blowup with the terrible trouble lots of players got into (murder/suicide, robbery, one is in jail, the coach was indicted on tax fraud.

5th- Cocky and claims free throws won't matter last year in NCAAT when it ended up being their downfall. And the fact that it is referred to as Tiger High by many locals and Tenn fans.

DixieZag
03-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Sounds a lot like another school with a different shade of blue; if he didn't care about his kids they woudn't play as hard as they do for him. But I could write all day and you wouldn't get it, the fans of Memphis love him -- that is all I need to know to validate his worth.

HODGY
03-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Sounds a lot like another school with a different shade of blue; if he didn't care about his kids they woudn't play as hard as they do for him. But I could write all day and you wouldn't get it, the fans of Memphis love him -- that is all I need to know to validate his worth.

Is that some sort of veiled comment towards UNC? I hope you aren't implying that UNC has similar off the court disciplinary problems or as terrible a graduation rate. Of the blue chippers UNC is right up there and has quite a respectable graduation rate.

I would say there is a large majority of people across the country who find him as much as a sleazeball as I do.

Just don't mistake my animosity towards Memphis as animosity towards Gonzaga. My experience in Memphis just left me puzzled as to how the fanbases of these two completely different schools (not talking WCC CUSA non-power comparisons) could share such a strange bond. If you ask me Gonzaga is in the upper echelon compared to UofM.

Reborn
03-25-2009, 08:25 AM
Trust me, Tiger fans will be there in droves (not drums) to support our brother team, the Zags. For one thing, we cannot STAND UNC and their arrogance. For another, yes, we do sell out our pro arena for most games, 17,000 plus. So, there are plenty Tiger fans who are also Zag fans. Many of us hope to pick up tickets after the first game, and the tickets should be quite reasonable.

And lastly, we RESPECT and LOVE our Zags and the friendly rivalry we share with them. We hope to meet you all in the final game!

We look forward to hosting you all on world-famous Beale Street! And I look forward to meeting some of you at the alumni party. Make yourselves at home and have a wonderful time. Try our world-famous bbq and listen to some Memphis music. We are the birthplace of rock and roll and the home of the blues.

GO ZAGS!

I really like this post, and thank you, TigerfriendofZags and all other Tiger fans who have posted here on our Board, and who support our team. I so appreciate the Tiger love we are getting. When the brackets came out, I believed that playing in Memphis would really help the Zags. I believe the #1 factor for success this year has been winning on the road. Now, both UNC and Gonzaga are on the road. Because Carolina is playing so close to home, it would normally be a home court advantage for the Tar Heels. However, the Zags' Memphis connection I believe is going to turn this into a home game arena for the Zags. THIS IS HUGE.

I would love to see Memphis and Gonzaga in the Final Four. Two Mid-Majors competing against Majors. I think that would be an ideal final 4.

Thanks for the brotherly love. We appreciate it.

johnwzag
03-25-2009, 08:28 AM
How can I diss Coach Cal? It is really easy actually. I have grown to despise the man since I moved to Memphis in 2001.

We get it. You are a Tarheels fan and you cannot see how Zag fans like the Tigers as you said.

Well -- We do love the Memphis Tigers. They are not thugs as you suggest. I watch many of their games every year besides the ones they place with us. They play great clean skillfull basketball.

By other teams, We have been slapped in the face and received bloody noses, been tackled -- but never ever anything like that from Memphis.

Their coach teaches skill, not brute force and his players respect him. I respect them and him.

I am pretty sure that is the case with UNC as well. You seem to be so caught up in your hatred towards them and their coach that you really are not looking through clear lenses. You might want to take another look.

Why would you buy tickets from thugs?

johnwzag
03-25-2009, 08:34 AM
HODGY, Maybe another board somewhere else might be more appropriate for your venting. If you want to talk about our upcoming game with UNC that is cool. We respect your team and now how good they are.

If you came here to vent against Memphis, you have come to the wrong place.

HODGY
03-25-2009, 08:37 AM
We're both looking through tinted glasses. The primary difference is I read and hear about their off the court incidents from Memphis radio and the local paper whereas you watch them play on the court. Things got scrappy between Memphis and Tenn this year (two programs I look at one in the same). Did you catch that game?

I bought tickets from Memphis fans partly so I could see my favorite team play for just the 2nd time and partly because nearly all the tickets for sale were from Memphis holders. Now that I see the support Memphis fans will have for Zaga I am glad I will have two extra voices at the game for the Heels.

Neither of us can win over the other so let's call the point moot and drop it.

johnwzag
03-25-2009, 08:52 AM
We're both looking through tinted glasses. The primary difference is I read and hear about their off the court incidents from Memphis radio and the local paper whereas you watch them play on the court.

I think seeing rather then second hand commenting is a little better don't you? Can you imagine if all someones knowledge is based on the information provided by Hubert Davis?

Things got scrappy between Memphis and Tenn this year (two programs I look at one in the same). Did you catch that game?

The past couple of years (especially last year/Less this year), Tenn has been more of a "Physical" team. I don't remember anything particular about that game. However; If there was, I would not measure the Memphis and the coach against a game with Tenn.

We have played both teams. When is the last time UNC played Tenn? Have they ever played Tenn? The closest thing to a physical game I can think of would be Dook for them, or can you think of someone else?

Now that I see the support Memphis fans will have for Zaga I am glad I will have two extra voices at the game for the Heels. Neither of us can win over the other so let's call the point moot and drop it.

I am not trying to win or lose here Hodgy. I am just trying to explain to you my point of view.

bullzag23
03-25-2009, 08:53 AM
4th- This may be offensive to Zaga fans since y'all have such a nice bond, but Tigers players are thugs.
-Multiple fights and disturbances at Plush Club near Beale where Cal had to finally ban them from going there
-The whole fur coat scandal and false police report thing from a couple years back
-Then, the program had the whole 1985 team blowup with the terrible trouble lots of players got into (murder/suicide, robbery, one is in jail, the coach was indicted on tax fraud.

Ok, I can understand your view on all the incidents up there except for the last one. Sure, Memphis had an issue in 1985. Coach Cal had absolutely nothing to do with that, and none of the players on UM were even BORN yet. This incident really has nothing to do with your argument, since it was a different coach, different team, and most likely different school administration. Memphis as a PROGRAM has changed quite a bit from 24 years ago I'm sure.

DixieZag
03-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Hodgy, we love discussions from knowledgeable opponents fans, but if you are here to bash the Tigers, all you are going to get is Zags sticking up for them. Like I said, you won't understand. If you want to get us riled up, punch our brother, even little brothers (and I am not sure we are that little anymore) can show a lot of moxie when big bro gets in a fight. You can't win, talk about the game.

How is Ty's toe. I hope it is heeled, so to speak. I really do, this has the makings of a great game, quite possibly better than the next, b/c the match-ups are so great. Do you have an opinion on those? Tiger fans do.

TigerfriendofZags
03-25-2009, 10:38 AM
400 students?? That's all?? Wow. We typically have 5-6,000 at each game. Even being a commuter school, I would think your team's success would breed a desire among your commuter students to go to the games. Maybe they do want to... they just can't because you sell all your seats as season tickets!

See you in Memphis!

We have a lot of older students mixed in with the regular 18-21 year olds. Our arena is a few miles from our campus in the downtown area, since we use the Grizzlies arena. And we are very much a commuter school. All no excuse for our students to not attend en masse, but that is just the way it is.

And there is plenty of room for the students; the students normally leave a few hundred seats reserved for them unoccupied. But we have the best group of kids in our Blue Crew and our band is second to none. Our pompom squad has won the national championship in several categories for the past few years. The atmosphere is our pro arena is nothing short of rocking! We are loud, blue, and flash with our blue sunglasses.

Robzagnut
03-25-2009, 10:50 AM
By the way, I do not see how Zags fans like the Tigers.

5. Memphis plays good, tough basketball.

4. Coach Cal is a great coach.

3. Their fans aren't wankers and actually know a lot about the GU program (and us about them).

2. There's mutual respect between programs.

1. Memphis isn't scared to play GU in a fair home-and-home series.

TigerfriendofZags
03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
No, I think I got it--that the FedEx Forum should only be 60 to 70% season tickets and the rest go to students. It is obviously an off-campus arena and I am pretty sure the students pay for their tickets. Either way, all of the tickets not allotted to students, I almost guarantee, sold out.

It also shouldn't be surprising since last year they had the record of NCAA wins and went to the Big Game. Unlike UNC, Memphis actually puts people in the seats on Sunday morning games or Christmas Break games-just like if the Heels played in Charlotte.

You all are way underestimating our basketball fever here. The students do not pay for their tickets, and hardly ever use their whole allotment, which is probably less than 1000 seats, anyway. But for every game we have played this year, there were at least 15,000-16,000 Memphis fans attending. I bet Memphis will have at least 6,000-7,000 fans in the stands, 98 percent rooting for the Zags.

You might want to check our graduation rate, too. We have one of the highest rates in the nation among our athletes. In the last few years, I can think of only ONE one-and-done, D. Rose, No. 1 draft pick last year. Whether Tyreke goes this year remains to be seen. Our three seniors this year who just captured the all-time NCAA record for most wins in a career, will all graduate on time this spring, in four years. Admit it, you would take our few superstar one-and-dones in a heartbeat. Jealousy will turn you green.

gotigergo
03-25-2009, 10:55 AM
First- Just Coach Cal at UMASS is enough to dislike the guy, Chaney even tried to choke him. Ok that's just a silly argument, base solely in opinon.

2nd- He recruits the wrong players for college ball and has zero shame in it. He gets one and doners who come to Memphis as a stepping stone and to take advantage of the accepting fanbase. If those players are going to be one and done anyway, why wouldn't we want them playing FOR us instead of AGAINST us.

ey proceed to have the worst or one of the worst graduation rates in the NCAAT. The guy seems to not even care about providing his non NBA players with an education. All three of our seniors are graduating in May ON TIME. One of our players that is qualified as a junior in basketball is also graduating in May.

Punching UAB fan in the face. You say punch, we say love pat :)

Domestic Violence at 3am in the middle of a road. Charges were never filed.

Multiple fights and disturbances at Plush Club near Beale where Cal had to finally ban them from going there. Your exaggerating, not multiple...so Joey wanted to make it rain LOL. But Cal, got right on it, not another problem.

Never heard about a fur coat.

Then, the program had the whole 1985 team blowup with the terrible trouble lots of players got into (murder/suicide, robbery, one is in jail, the coach was indicted on tax fraud. Like someone has pointed out...they weren't even born them ..so geesh!

And the fact that it is referred to as Tiger High by many locals and Tenn fans. The only people who call it that are those that are not intelligent enough to come up with something better.

Also, you keep referring over and over that they are 'thugs'...well we all know that that is just a very thinly veiled word for the N word...so be careful, your racism is showing.

Sorry Zag Fans for hijacking your board.

GO ZAGS...I'll be there to cheer y'all on!!!

TigerfriendofZags
03-25-2009, 11:15 AM
How can I diss Coach Cal? It is really easy actually. I have grown to despise the man since I moved to Memphis in 2001. Up in the NW y'all might not hear all of the news regarding Memphis and their program.

First- Just Coach Cal at UMASS is enough to dislike the guy, Chaney even tried to choke him.

2nd- He recruits the wrong players for college ball and has zero shame in it. He gets one and doners who come to Memphis as a stepping stone and to take advantage of the accepting fanbase. Then they proceed to have the worst or one of the worst graduation rates in the NCAAT. The guy seems to not even care about providing his non NBA players with an education.

3rd- He tried to end the Tenn/Memphis bball game because he did not want to lose his in-state recruiting advantage. The UT AD threatened to end the football series between the two and the money brought the bball series back to Cal's disgust (funny since even though I graduated from UT I hate UT basketball and Pearl as well-in fact Cal and Pearl are nearly the same loudmouths).

5th- Cocky and claims free throws won't matter last year in NCAAT when it ended up being their downfall. And the fact that it is referred to as Tiger High by many locals and Tenn fans.

UT troll alert. Full of lies and mischaracterizations. He doesn't know us at all.
Several of our players have called Coach Cal a "father figure." He chooses good athletes, gives them discipline and guidance, and sees that they graduate. They graduate with character and success and a future they would never have had without him. These kids spend a lot of time at his house with his family. If there is a problem, Cal deals with it swiftly. If you won't adhere to his standards, you are off the team.
Just the way Antonio Anderson demeaned himself when Vasquez was trying to rile us up speaks volumes about our maturity and class.
Heck, I would let these players babysit my children.
Again, check our football and basketball graduation rates. The Zags know us. We hope a whole lot of you can make it to Memphis and get to know us even better.

GonzagaDynasty
03-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Memphis fans.... You guys are amazing. We all highly appreciate the support, and I hope we get to repay you sometime soon!!

DADoZAG
03-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Perhaps I've mistakenly dropped into the wrong board, but...

Go ZAGS!

Beat UNC!

UberZagFan
03-25-2009, 11:49 AM
This thread is classic. Uber thinks it should be in the HOF forum. Uber doesn't know if he's ever seen a 3 page thread with posters from two schools bickering back and forth and neither of those schools are GU! Friggin' hilarious.

Now it appears that we even have a UT troll. Note to that troll: GU likes the Vols as well except their crappy season made GU's two victories over you not as good.

Uber has been on this board for a long time now and can't recall ever seeing a thread like this--except maybe post here and there from Coug/chicken fans. But this is 3 pages or more.

And to all the Heels, yes, the Tigers got GU's back. Hopefully it will mean that GU will not have to deal with the same atmosphere it had to when it last visited your state.

MedZag
03-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Uber has been on this board for a long time now and can't recall ever seeing a thread like this--except maybe post here and there from Coug/chicken fans. But this is 3 pages or more.

Dittos.

ZagManFan
03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
This thread has turned into a Mempis/UNC thread. At this point I have Memphis ahead by 12...:D

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UberZagFan
03-25-2009, 12:31 PM
This thread has turned into a Mempis/UNC thread. At this point I have Memphis ahead by 12...:D

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uber agrees. Uber thinks our new UNC friends need to mount a come back. Uber has been waiting for the "everyone knows UNC grads make more money than Memphis grads, therefore UNC fans will be buying tickets off the poor and downtrodden Tigers and will have more fans at the game". When will we see that play? It'll probably be a halftime adjustment.

gomemphistigers1
03-25-2009, 02:29 PM
You missed my point -- I don't doubt that you sell out the arena each game. I'm talking about *season ticket* sales. For example, we sold out every one of our football games this year (capacity 60,000), but only 35,000 are season tickets -- the rest are student, faculty, etc. seats.

Typically, only 60-70% or so of most sold-out arenas are season ticket seats... unless, like I said, Memphis sells season tickets to their students which factors into the 17,000+. If so, then that makes sense. We don't sell tickets to our students ... they get in free.

That said, I guarantee UNC will have many more fans there than Memphis.

yes, Memphis sold around 17,000 season tickets...the rest are student tickets which are free for current students.

FedExForum holds over 18,000...students get just over 1000 seats

Go Tigers!!!
Go Zags!!!
Drew

tigerfan101
03-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Zags - Just wanted to drop by and say while I cannot speak for every single Tiger fan, all of the ones I know are rooting for you. Hate for UNC aside, we respect your program and even follow you after having played you a few times. The reports we get from our fans are that yours are first class upon visits to your city.

Plus, we know what it's like to be the underdogs.

Please beat UNC!

MTPAWR
03-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Like several Tiger fans have stated...you can "book it"...we will be cheering for the Zags.

Yeah we have some $EC fans in this area but I truly expect that fully 90% of the local Memphis fans will be pulling for Gonzaga. We always do throughout the season....

GU should have a considerable edge as far as this court goes..plus GU is very familiar having played here a few times.

ZagLawGrad
03-25-2009, 03:03 PM
...GU is very familiar having played here a few times.\

This. Matters.

UberZagFan
03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
plus GU is very familiar having played here a few times.

Uh, no need to remind us.

UofMTiger
03-25-2009, 03:13 PM

Yes, the University of Memphis has sold out the FedEx Forum each of the last several years with season tickets. The last several years there has been an dinner at Coach Cal's house. You have to buy a season ticket for $100. You get to attend the dinner and are enrolled in the Rebounders, one of the support groups, and meet the team. This is done to sell the last couple of hundred season tickets.

And make no mistake, if there are Tiger fans in the house (and there will be plenty), they will be pulling for the Zags. It has been a great series these last four years and I hope it continues for a long, long time.

GO ZAGS

72Tiger
03-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Go Zags!

TiggerFan
03-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Another Tiger fan here wishing the best for the Zags. I will be down at the Forum seeing the Zags play for the third time, cheering for them for the first time.
Take a powder Hodgy. You moved here in 2001 and you bring up 1985? Glad that you get to experience all Tigers-all the time in all media.
Welcome to all our guests, but Memphis loves Gonzaga. If Williams will play us, Heels will get love, win or lose.
And to the UNC dude who thinks he knows better than we re: how many season tickets are sold, give it up.
If you can only sell 13,000 season tickets, we won't hold it against you.
Go Zags!!! Go Zags!!! Go Zags!!! See you in the all-non BCS final!!!!

ZagSlug
03-25-2009, 04:19 PM
This is one of the more interesting threads that is not Foo.

I think maybe a few of these fans might meet in the parking lot before the game, not sure if they will swap beers or a punch in the face.

When UNC gets bashed for playing in a weak conference and has to deal with BCS schools refusing to schedule home and home games they can join the Memphis/GU brotherhood.

Still wondering which fan might wander in the Foo and never get out like Topper.

bigblahla
03-25-2009, 05:56 PM
This is one of the more interesting threads that is not Foo.

I think maybe a few of these fans might meet in the parking lot before the game, not sure if they will swap beers or a punch in the face.

When UNC gets bashed for playing in a weak conference and has to deal with BCS schools refusing to schedule home and home games they can join the Memphis/GU brotherhood.

Still wondering which fan might wander in the Foo and never get out like Topper.

Where's Topper?

It's time the planets align and the great mysteries of the univers unravel and the Zags take doen UNC.

Tiger fans see you in the final, good luck. UNC Rots of Ruck!

Go!! Zags!!!

MedZag
03-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Where's Topper?

He resides full time in the Foo. Though 'reside' would not be the proper term, since the Foo does not exist an in literal sense. It more takes on the qualities of a black hole, or a vortex. You know, negative matter and all that stuff.

Oh and Memphis fans, a Tar Heel on the MAX today told me that Calipari is singlehandedly responsible for the recession by sinking too much money into poor hair gel subsidies.

UNC fans, a Tiger told me the other day that C-USA is better than the ACC at football. Oh wait, that might actually be true.

GoTigersGo
03-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Another Tiger fan here wishing the best for the Zags. I will be down at the Forum seeing the Zags play for the third time, cheering for them for the first time.
Take a powder Hodgy. You moved here in 2001 and you bring up 1985? Glad that you get to experience all Tigers-all the time in all media.
Welcome to all our guests, but Memphis loves Gonzaga. If Williams will play us, Heels will get love, win or lose.
And to the UNC dude who thinks he knows better than we re: how many season tickets are sold, give it up.
If you can only sell 13,000 season tickets, we won't hold it against you.
Go Zags!!! Go Zags!!! Go Zags!!! See you in the all-non BCS final!!!!

And yet one more Tiger fan here :). Will be at FedEx Forum Friday in my Tigers Blue pulling for the Zags. Go Zags!!!! Wow, did I just say that? LOL. First time for everything.....

billyberu
03-25-2009, 06:10 PM
He resides full time in the Foo. Though 'reside' would not be the proper term, since the Foo does not exist an in literal sense. It more takes on the qualities of a black hole, or a vortex. You know, negative matter and all that stuff.

I heard that those who go in never come back.

OldManTiger
03-25-2009, 06:14 PM

UNCbiz, I see you are a redshirt so I guess that we will excuse the Freshman mistake if you will excuse mine (if you find any). The Forum seats close to 19,000 and between 16,000 and 17,000 are Tiger season tickets. As a season ticket holder, I pay an average seat license of around $1500 for my seat plus the cost of the tickets themselves. Yes, you "red" that right. Check our paid attendance and you will be surprised. Oh, and by the way, the Tigers don't like UNC because of the very arrogance you demonstrate in your note when you won't check the facts and spew incorrect doubts and opinions.

phototiger
03-25-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm a little late to this party, but I have the flu and decided after a few days of suffering to do the manly thing and burn it out of me with a pint of Wild Turkey followed by a good sweat in a heavy blanket.

This worries me a little because my Tigers play tomorrow and I am a bit concerned about feeling the, well, effects of the "medicine". but come on, it was either some Sudafed and an Airborne tablet, or the Wild Turkey and well, here i am.

i just wanted to tell you Zag people that I will be rooting for you. I will be downtown in Memphis tomorrow night and probably over the weekend, and any chance I get to tell NC fans that powder blue is a wussy color for a nursery and their whole lot is a non-spelling, arrogant group of inbreds, I will.

I detest the arrogance of the ACC and I hope you guys smash them to pieces.

Kick their ass.

I will find me some gonzaga gear while you are here and wear it proudly, oh and i would do this even if we were not winning every game with you guys. i mean that. You will clip us in one of these games, and i will be happy to applaud you for it. I have been on your campus, wandered the state of Washington, and think the world of you guys. You treat us well, even though we have had the statistical advantage, and I respect that.

I really do hope you win and that we see you in Detroit.

All the best. the Turkey is beginning to work its magic.

phototiger

oh oh and one more thing...if anyone wants a detailed idea of where to go, eat, avoid, etc, and yeah there are places to avoid in memphis, post over on memphistigers.org the question and i will get back to you.

tell people that travelled to memphis to check the mt.org site for recommendations. we want your fans to have the best experience in the city possible.

kitzbuel
03-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Phototiger, please don't cuss at the fans; sneeze on the players instead.

skan72
03-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Dear Hodgy,

I don't understand the reasoning behind Coach Cal recruiting the "wrong" college players.

Was it UNC in the finals beating Memphis last year...oh right no it wasn't, UNC was handled by Kansas, I forgot, my bad. So...wait...I need to think...it was a Memphis/Kansas final...and Memphis nearly won it...how did Memphis do that with the "wrong" players...how come UNC wasn't there because they have the "right" players...I'm confused. HODGY can you PLEASE explain this one to me?

Wondering in Spokane

HOOTER
03-25-2009, 06:39 PM

Hey kitz, what you are suggesting is sabotage via a small scale biological attack.

I like it! :D

phototiger
03-25-2009, 06:40 PM

if i have a single germ left in me by morning, i swear to you Zags people, i will cough on someone wearing UNC gear.

Go Zags.

GoTigersGo
03-25-2009, 06:46 PM
if i have a single germ left in me by morning, i swear to you Zags people, i will cough on someone wearing UNC gear.

Go Zags.

And I hope I am there to see it :D If I see a guy running around Beale coughing on people wearing baby blue, I'll say hello...........

phototiger
03-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Dear Hodgy,

I don't understand the reasoning behind Coach Cal recruiting the "wrong" college players.

Was it UNC in the finals beating Memphis last year...oh right no it wasn't, UNC was handled by Kansas, I forgot, my bad. So...wait...I need to think...it was a Memphis/Kansas final...and Memphis nearly won it...how did Memphis do that with the "wrong" players...how come UNC wasn't there because they have the "right" players...I'm confused. HODGY can you PLEASE explain this one to me?

Wondering in Spokane

let me explain this in my turkeyed state..

the word "thug" or "wrong" player is code for something much worse, racial, and bigoted.

the idea is simply this - there is no logical reason (among the ACC elite) that memphis could somehow be a legit contender, or the Zags for that matter. but where you get called white trash or hippie or drug user, our guys get called "thug" or worse.

the truth is, we have a pedigree. The city of memphis has a long history of basketball excellence. hell even Duke's starting shooting guard is a local kid. Basketball is in the lifeblood of the city, and even Roy williams was on radio today talking up the town. It is what we do. Blues, and hoops.

but the dirty little secret is that only one kid on our team is actually from Memphis. Our starting five are from penn, mass, georgia, and so on. we have a team of kids from all over the country. Sallie, of the 10 3s fame in round one, is from Cali.

the one common factor is that they are all good kids. very goods kids. smart, decent, kind people, and to say we get the "wrong" players is really simply being a racist, class mongering ####ole, which is what you will find most ACC and UCONN fans to be. btw, the Maryland fans were the worst. nobody has come close the the arrogance of those tools.

so Cal has been here 8+ years and he has had a total of 3 one and dones, and all of them are in the NBA making millions. well i take that back Dajuan Wagner got sick and had most of his lower intestine removed, but hey let's cut him some slack.

Cal recruits good kids that fit the system, and nobody here has a problem with it.

phototiger
03-25-2009, 06:50 PM
And I hope I am there to see it :D If I see a guy running around Beale coughing on people wearing baby blue, I'll say hello...........

i will be holed up in miss pollys getting some chicken and waffles bro.

lord i think we took over this thread. ####e. sorry Zags fans.

MedZag
03-25-2009, 06:54 PM
lord i think we took over this thread. ####e. sorry Zags fans.

It is the reason this thread existed even in the first place. No need to apologize. :D

We have bulldogs and tigers and big red blobs and people with tar on their feet running all over this place, its good to keep a "tiger pen" if you will.

phototiger
03-25-2009, 06:58 PM
It is the reason this thread existed even in the first place. No need to apologize. :D

We have bulldogs and tigers and big red blobs and people with tar on their feet running all over this place, its good to keep a "tiger pen" if you will.

cool. maybe ill go jump into a few other threads and start crap with those people with tar on their feet

Pargo the Destroyer
03-25-2009, 07:15 PM
BEST THREAD EVER. Thanks tigers fans.

TigerfriendofZags
03-25-2009, 07:21 PM

Oh and Memphis fans, a Tar Heel on the MAX today told me that Calipari is singlehandedly responsible for the recession by sinking too much money into poor hair gel subsidies.

UNC fans, a Tiger told me the other day that C-USA is better than the ACC at football. Oh wait, that might actually be true.

I guess you haven't seen our AD, R.C. Johnson. He aspires to be Elvis.

TigerfriendofZags
03-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Darn good reply, PhotoTiger. You hit it out of the ballpark.

Zags, this is one of the NICEST, BEST posters on our board, and I am proud to see him over here representing our Tiger Nation. We have the most wonderful players in the world, and it makes my blood boil when they are maliciously maligned and with total ignorance.

We can't wait to host you good folks this weekend. Wish us luck tomorrow!
We WILL be there for you Friday. 21-17 Alterego2

kclubfounder
03-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Yo! Tigers!

Will you still love us after we beat you in the championship game in Detroit then follow it up with 4 straight in our permanent home-and-home series?

Just askin.

By the way, we'll still love all of you after that happens.

tigers1985
03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Yo! Tigers!

Will you still love us after we beat you in the championship game in Detroit then follow it up with 4 straight in our permanent home-and-home series?

Just askin.

We'll happily deal with Detroit when we get there...

I told you guys a few days ago we had your backs.

kclubfounder
03-25-2009, 08:03 PM
I know you did brother, just tryin to have some fun.

GO ZAGS!!!!! AND TIGERS!!!!!!!

TigerNutz
03-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Go ZAGS! Put some BBQ sauce on some well done UNC rump!

tangelolemon
03-25-2009, 08:58 PM
I am a lifelong Tiger fan but I live in New Jersey so I won't be able to go to the Forum to cheer on the Zags.

But I will be watching you on my tiny little TV and cheering the Zags on all the way.

Go Memphis Tigers (in our game, you have to specify 'which ones') and Go Zags!!!

Oh yeah, and the UNC/UT troll-- everyone pretty much read you pretty good, but since when does an open-hand slap after being called a racially offensive name constitute a "punch?"

OldManTiger
03-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Yo! Tigers!

Just askin.

"K"

I dream for the day that the Big dance belongs to the Zags and Tigers (Memphis style), so "yes" we will still love you. Let's enjoy the show and worry about the next 4 in the next 4.

HKTigerFan
03-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Hi Zag fans!

Just wanted to wish you good luck this weekend in Memphis. As a life long Memphis Tiger fan I wanted to confirm what some others on here have already said. Aside from the Tigers, in recent years you guys have become my next favorite team!

I live in Hong Kong now so I won't be able to support the Zags in person, but I can assure you that all non-Tarheel fans will be cheering (and heartily I might add) for Gonzaga. Syracuse and Oklahoma will bring large numbers of fans who will support the underdog and there should be NO DOUBT that Tiger fans in Memphis will be going nuts for the Bulldogs (obviously with a bit more energy if we win on thursday;)).

Loop:
You're absolutely right that the crowd will not determine the outcome of the game, but I can promise that if given a choice of having the crowd for you or against you... you're always going to the take the first option.

As for Tarheel fans in general I think you guys are great, in fact my best friend here in HK is UNC alumn... but I'm still pulling for Gonzaga. We've actually been going back at forth with each other for the last couple years as our respective teams have been fighting it out for #1 rankings and what not. Anyway he's coming over to my place early Saturday morning to pound back some beers and watch the game. I've got the laptop VGA cable plugged into the flat screen and MMoD ready to go.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded message but, MAN I love this time of year!

GO TIGERS! GO ZAGS! GO MEMPHIS!

Derby
03-26-2009, 05:13 AM
Hello Zag fans...!!!

I'm an admin over at http://www.memphistigers.org and you will see nothing but the utmost respect posted in any of our forums regarding Gonzaga. Our programs have a lot in common and we both know the difficulties of overcoming disrespect from the big six blue bloods. We gladly welcome you to our site. Have fun while in Memphis and we hope to see you again in Detroit.

UNC, Oklahoma, and Syracuse fans should not underestimate the local crowd's support for the Zags during the Regional. Memphis fans will be overwhelming in your (Gonzaga's) favor. We'll be cheering hard.

Some bad, ignorant things are said about the Memphis program. All based upon jealousy and misperceptions. Like Mark Few, John Calipari runs a good, clean program. Traditionalists like UNC, Kentucky, and others such as them hate to see new kids on the block. Well guess what blue bloods, it's a new era. Either accept it, or step aside.

Go Bulldogs! Go Tigers!

Peace, out.

TigerfriendofZags
03-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Yo! Tigers!

Just askin.

Yes, we will still love you like a little brother. But it ain't gonna happen. :p

DixieZag
03-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Some Day TigerfanofZags, someday, hopefully later this year, maybe next, remember that little bro ALWAYS catches up, its a law of nature, but b/c we are brothers, it will all be good, your pounding of our team this year was just the medicine we needed, there will be a time when you might have to take yours. But, again, in the end, brothers are family and family is everything. Here's to a NON-B*S final.

LOTS of love Tigers, you gotta game too, kick their butts.

rawkmandale
03-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Even MORE Memphis fans posting here:

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=357817

saying they will be at the Forum rooting on the Zags. Our guys are going to feel great about the crowd response, so hopefully they will get into a flow like we saw down in Vegas.

If we make it to Detroit, we will seriously OWE the community of Memphis our support down the road.

cjm720
03-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Hello Zag fans...!!!

I'm an admin over at http://www.memphistigers.org and you will see nothing but the utmost respect posted in any of our forums regarding Gonzaga. Our programs have a lot in common and we both know the difficulties of overcoming disrespect from the big six blue bloods. We gladly welcome you to our site. Have fun while in Memphis and we hope to see you again in Detroit.

UNC, Oklahoma, and Syracuse fans should not underestimate the local crowd's support for the Zags during the Regional. Memphis fans will be overwhelming in your (Gonzaga's) favor. We'll be cheering hard.

Some bad, ignorant things are said about the Memphis program. All based upon jealousy and misperceptions. Like Mark Few, John Calipari runs a good, clean program. Traditionalists like UNC, Kentucky, and others such as them hate to see new kids on the block. Well guess what blue bloods, it's a new era. Either accept it, or step aside.

Go Bulldogs! Go Tigers!

Peace, out.

Very Classy! Much thanks.

Go Zags! Go Tigers!

ballen
03-26-2009, 11:21 AM

saying they will be at the Forum rooting on the Zags. Our guys are going to feel great about the crowd response, so hopefully they will get into a flow like we saw down in Vegas.

If we make it to Detroit, we will seriously OWE the community of Memphis our support down the road.

Good luck, and thanks for the link. As many Tiger fans have said, GO ZAGS!!! and beat those Tar Heels!

You guys are a classy bunch of fans and it's a pleasure getting to know more about you and your program.

Welcome to Memphis, and go get 'em!! ;)

UofMTigerFan
03-26-2009, 12:17 PM
I am getting ready for our game tonight & our second game tommorrow night! Most of us true Tiger fans see that both schools are good for each other & have great fan bases.

As for my family of 4, Tigers for life with the Zags concrete at #2. I hope you guys beat the baby blue off their unis!

My son & I will be there cheering just as loud as if were our Tigers playing. Good luck & enjoy your stay in Memphis. This town gets a bad rap sometimes but it is truly a great place to visit & to live.

TigerfriendofZags
03-26-2009, 01:40 PM

Hustle and flow, guys! I can't WAIT to get downtown tonight and all this weekend to welcome your fans to Memphis. For those who imbibe, a round of shots are coming your way!

BEAT the TAR out of those HEELS! Go Zags!

ZagLawGrad
03-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Okay---I'm buying into the Tiger love in a big way after all of these nice Memphis fans have stopped by.

But I'm expecting big things from each and every one of you tomorrow night. Don't let us down. I'll be watching and taking notes. ;)

TiggerFan
03-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Just got back from watching all of the teams practice. Zags were loose, relaxed, and having fun. Few talked to Jim Nance or Kellog the whole 50 minutes. Heard they had a good, hard workout at the Tigers' facility. Today was just getting loose, shooting around, getting a feel for the rims, fundamentals.
Here is a note: our rims are a bit tighter as the Grizzlies set the tension. You have players that have played here twice. Can't hurt.
Zag Tshirts available at the arena and on Beale St.

Go Zags.

NotoriousZ
03-26-2009, 02:01 PM
5 pages of mostly 'who's going to have the bigger crowd?' I read the first couple pages a few days ago and read this last page today, and I skipped over a page or two so if I'm repeating something I appoligize. Sounds like there will be plenty of support for both teams, so it should come down to who plays better...which is the way it should be.

Go Zags! Thanks Memphis fans!

OZZag
03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
From someone else who is a little far away to watch it is great to see all the love coming from Memphis for our Zags. I am hoping to get a chance to watch the game, but I (and family in tow) am also moving this weekend!

Go Zags, lets give the heels the blues!

Tigers2640
03-26-2009, 07:20 PM
What is happening to my Tigers tonight is making tommorow night seem like Christmas. Tomorrow night at the Forum watching the Zags is the next big game I'm looking forward to.

Go Gonzaga!

rawkmandale
03-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Not too late for a major Memphis comeback, and I expect it! Go, baby.

DoMieD
03-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Tough loss Memphis... but I don't think ANYONE expected you guys to be this good, this year!

Anyway... Go Zags!! Beat UNC!!!!!!!

Zag79
03-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Dammit Memphis! FTs and its a win. Zags need to rep both schools tomorrow!

SWZag
03-26-2009, 08:39 PM
Man, tough loss. They made an amazing comeback but not quite far enough. It's now up to GU to win tomorrow for both schools. Great season for the Tigers, and they were one heck of a squad that demanded respect. Look forward to meeting again next year, GU vs. Memphis.

Lets hope the city of Memphis can come out to the game tomorrow and cheer on GU as their own.

Did I mention...the Zags love the Bluff City? :)

SWZag

kitzbuel
03-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Wow, I guess the only thing I can say is that we know what it is like when your team unexpectedly has the wheels fall off. Too bad it happened to Memphis tonight.

GU69
03-26-2009, 08:49 PM
What a shame.

And what a surprise. I had Memphis winning it all. They got in too deep of a hole, and even then they almost came back. I still think they are better than Missouri, but it didn't happen tonight.

GonzagaDynasty
03-26-2009, 09:15 PM
My bracket is busted... Anyways, Im curious to know how this loss will effect Memphis` support for the Zags tomorrow.....? Is everyone depressed and done with college basketball this season, or with the tigers still cheer for the Zags? Hopefully the latter.

kclubfounder
Damn. Sorry Memphis fans. My kids kept walking into my basketball den wondering if Gonzaga was playing cause I was being pretty vocal on your behalf.

Congrats on another great season.

Tigers2640
Question on the pregame social if anyone knows -- is it an alumni-only event or just a general gathering? The 4 in our group would love to go and (a) get pumped up with some Gonzaga fans and (b) drink away tonight.

UberZagFan
03-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Uber still is trying to figure out if that was just a great offensive effort on Mizzu's part or a collapse on defense by Memphis? How exactly do they give up that many points?

TigerfriendofZags
03-27-2009, 05:28 AM
Now it's all up to you, Little Brother. We are very, very disappointed and are licking our wounds, but we will pick ourselves up and be down at the Forum tonight to cheer on the Zags!

Go Zags!

lothar98zag
03-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Question on the pregame social if anyone knows -- is it an alumni-only event or just a general gathering? The 4 in our group would love to go and (a) get pumped up with some Gonzaga fans and (b) drink away tonight.
I'm pretty sure anyone willing to cheer for the Zags and pay the entry fee ($10?) is welcome.

MedZag
03-27-2009, 08:52 AM
I'm pretty sure anyone willing to cheer for the Zags and pay the entry fee ($10?) is welcome.

Don't know if this is technically true, but if you're wearing Zags gear you will get no questions on entry.

And yes, it's $10. Hit the food line early because it goes fast but the beer is always plentiful, and double fisting is not frowned upon.

Rubbadub
03-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Uber still is trying to figure out if that was just a great offensive effort on Mizzu's part or a collapse on defense by Memphis? How exactly do they give up that many points?

A little of both, combined with Mack laying a complete dud of a game. Foul trouble never ever energizes a defensive strategy.

rawkmandale
03-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Here's a new thread on the Memphis board, full of people showing Zag support, and going to the game tonight.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=358283

JohnOGU
03-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Tell you what, I am very impressed with all of you Memphis fans. Very classy. Behind Gonzaga, Memphis has been my #2 For quite some time now. So glad we have a home-home with you guys.

I was verry bummed aout the loss to Missouri last night. Believe me, i was cheering hard. Hopefully Gonzaga can go deep for the both of us now.

Im currently a senior here at GU, and after beating WKU last weekend, this place went nuts. Im afraid of what it's going to be like should we knock off UNC (knock on wood). The Bulldog Bar is going to be a riot.

Any how, just wanted to sa thanks for the support. Go Zags, Go Tigers, and Go non-BCS

CanadZag
03-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Confession:

I was not really a huge fan ever of Memphis. 0-4 stings me a bit.

Although I did cheer for them in the FF last year and was deeply disappointed in how it ended for them- I wouldn't say I liked them.

Then you fans come onto here before the game this year like several teams do, and discuss what you want to discuss, and then we get destroyed...and you guys still hang out here wishing us, "good luck", "you just had an off-night", etc.- which I felt at the time was a little too much charm. Just tell us we got steamrolled and move on- you know?

You Memphis fans gave our team more credit than many of the Zag posters here. And since that game I have found a great appreciation for you fans-who are true basketball fans.

I was pulling very hard for you guys to make a comeback last night. My condolences.

I can sincerely say I have the utmost respect for the Memphis posters on here (and their program too) and greatly appreciate the support for the Zags.

Thanks!

GoTigersGo
03-27-2009, 01:10 PM
My bracket is busted... Anyways, Im curious to know how this loss will effect Memphis` support for the Zags tomorrow.....? Is everyone depressed and done with college basketball this season, or with the tigers still cheer for the Zags? Hopefully the latter.

Depressed? Yes....but getting ready to go to FedEx Forum anyway dressed in Tiger Blue...and dare someone say anything...LOL!!!

Go ZAGZ!!!!!

TigerfriendofZags
03-28-2009, 11:50 AM
This may be my last post as a visitor to your board, but I just wanted all you wonderful folks to know I have had a blast talking to you all.

I went to the game last night and screamed my lungs out, in the midst of thousands of NC, Syr, and Oakie fans. I was quite surprised there were not more Tiger fans present, but I guess a lot of us are sad about our team's loss and have lost interest in basketball for the moment. I was shocked at how many NC fans traveled to the game.

I was was impressed with your spunky team. Pargo was a delight to watch, and Matt is my favorite. It is so much fun to see him handle the ball. He looks a lot like my son, who just happens to be an Oregon Duck.

Your band and cheerleaders were also fun to watch, very energetic and creative. And your mascot was wonderful; I loved seeing him hoisted by your cheerleaders. And your coach was as always classy.

I hope you all had a good time in Memphis. We can't wait to host you again.

I hope to one day visit your school on one of my trips to see my son. I love your area of the country. Thanks for being our Brother school, and best wishes until we meet again!