PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Times All-State HS Basketball Teams

ZagNative
03-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Starting with the Players of the Year ....

For Class 1A:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2010%20Recruits/Joe%20Harris/2009-02-13JoeJarrsCascadesmaller.jpg

Player Class
Abdul Gaddy, Bellarmine Prep 4A
Peyton Siva, Franklin 3A
Keith Stackhouse, Squalicum 2A
Joe Harris, Chelan 1A
Chase Ramey, NW Christian 2B
Riggs Yarbro, Moses Lake Christian 1BSee the First and Second team selections here (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2008912577_allstate24.html).

MDABE80
03-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Romar's is such a great BSer/salesman, he'll likely get Josh Smith even if the Zags go to the final four. Not sure how he'll spin his team's performance. I think the Cougs got a pretty good kid in Brown. He'll make em proud.
Gaddy's a good one. Siva escaped to Louisville.

We need to go far in the tournament. We've got some amazing kids coming in. We'll be fine. One thing thie Swt 16 pub has showed us is that we look for just the right kid who fits and is well received by his teamates. Something about that makes me understand how Few/coaches seem to have good teams most years. I think it matters to be team oriented and like your teamates.

TM27
03-24-2009, 06:19 PM
abe or anyone that has been following his recruitment...

is UCLA out of the picture for Smith?

spudzag
03-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Lot to like in Joe Harris.

Nice to see Aaron Bright on the second team too. Liked the cation after him;

"Sharpshooter showed incredible improvement at point guard."

We can always use a sharpshooter.

dawgfather11
03-24-2009, 06:51 PM

is UCLA out of the picture for Smith?

UCLA was leading before the season, after watching what UW did this season rumors have UW leading UCLA but it's a 2 man race and anything can happen from here until signing day.

ZagNative
03-24-2009, 06:56 PM

is UCLA out of the picture for Smith?According to a January 27 Scout story, UCLA, Washington, and Louisville were his top three. I don't imagine we have much of a chance with him, but, in any event, there's no reason for him to rush a verbal, since he's #1 on all the rankings of 2010 players and can pretty much choose any school he wants.

ZagLawGrad
03-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Unfortunate that the Zags apparently had no real shot at landing Gaddy---especially with him playing at the Jesuit school Bellarmine Prep. And why would he pick UW when he had a chance at some big-time programs--he could have been a Superstar at GU. Oh well.

zagfan08
03-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Good article on Siva in the Seattle Times. Louisville got a good one. I played against him when he was a seventh grader and it's remarkable to see how much he's improved as an individual in the past 5 or 6 years.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsports/2008911321_wyrwich24.html

IrishBulldog
03-24-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't understand why GU didn't get seem to get serious consideration from him either, especially since I believe that his coach at Bellarmine Prep, Bernie Salazar, is a Gonzaga grad.

Over the past decade, Gonzaga has been far and away the best program in the Northwest, and one of the best in the West. The Zags have been to the tournament more times, have enjoyed more tournament success, and have won the head-to-head matchups with both Washington schools, beating the Huskies 8 out of the last 9 times they've played.

But of course, I know that I'm preaching to the choir here!

CDC84
03-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Trust me, Gonzaga tried hard to get Abdul Gaddy, but it just didn't work out.

The elite Seattle kids either want to "get out" and go to elite programs (Peyton Siva, Marvin Williams, etc.) or stay home. The whole AAU scene, which is inundated with coaches and advisors who want players to go to BCS schools, doesn't help either.

The only solution Gonzaga has is to do what Memphis does. Win tons of games and have major success in the NCAA Tournament. It's the only thing that's going to get these kids to look past the conference affiliation and what the club basketball people are telling them.

It's good to see that Joe Harris is blowing up as a prospect.

BobZag
03-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Brett Kingma would've made that list if not for his broken arm.

Congrats to Joe.

On the girls' side, imo, it's laughable that Brittany Gray is 2nd-team.