• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FuManShoes
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Get your motor running

A bad analogy ... or is it?

The Zags are akin to a Subaru WRX. The Tarheels and other rarified bluechips are your typical supercar, a Lambo, Ferrari, etc. Gearheads will recognize that this is no slam on the Zags. Far from it. The WRX (and Lancer EVO) are arguably the best performing cars per dollar in the world. They have incredible acceleration and handling. They can tackle a variety of courses -- dirt, sand, ice, hills, you name it. They are incredibly solid cars that more than hold their own against the top vehicles in the world. But they lack raw horsepower and pedigree. They are the everyman's sportscar residing in a world of midmajor subcompact crap. In a straight race to top speed the Lambo wins everytime. It has 800 friggin horsepower. But the NCAA's aren't a drag race. They are a rally race, with twists and turns, dips and hills. The Zags, with some luck, can win such a race. Sure, it probably takes some burnouts and skids by the Lambo, but the Lambo is apt to flail like this because it's driven by a pompus ass with a lead foot who likes tiresmoke. The WRX is driven by a cagey Fin who has spent his entire life training for this race in teh barren wilds of Scandanavia. He has the experience and savvy, but needs to play it smart and lure his for into a trap. Take him hard into a corner and then spin his ass out. Wait, I forgot where I was going with this....
    Last edited by FuManShoes; 03-24-2009, 01:54 PM.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few
  • Thomas_Sutpen
    Kennel Club
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FuManShoes View Post
    .. and it's a stretch.

The Zags are akin to a Subaru WRX. The Tarheels and other rarified bluechips are your typical supercar, a Lambo, Ferrari, etc. Gearheads will recognize that this is no slam on the Zags. Far from it. The WRX (and Lancer EVO) are arguably the best performing cars per dollar in the world. They have incredible acceleration and handling. They can tackle a variety of courses -- dirt, sand, ice, hills, you name it. They are incredibly solid cars that more than hold their own against the top vehicles in the world. But they lack raw horsepower and pedigree. They are major cars residing in a world of midmajor subcompact crap. In a straight race to top speed the Lambo wins everytime. It has 800 friggin horsepower. But the NCAA's aren't a drag race. They are a rally race, with twists and turns, dips and hills. The Zags, with some luck, can win such a race. Sure, it probably takes some burnouts and skids by the Lambo, but the Lambo is apt to flail like this because it's driven by a pompus ass with a lead foot who likes tiresmoke. The WRX is driven by a cagey Fin who has spent his entire life training for this race in teh barren wilds of Scandanavia. He has the experience and savvy, but needs to play it smart and lure his for into a trap. Take him hard into a corner and then spin his ass out. Wait, I forgot where I was going with this....
    Sounds good. Can we run over Lawson's toe in the parking lot before the race?

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

I like the analogy.

Gonzaga = 24 hrs of Le Mans racecar
      Carolina = Formula One racecar

(I'm glad GU is not a Nash Rambler)
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Toewon
        Redshirt
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by FuManShoes View Post
        A bad analogy ... or is it?

The Zags are akin to a Subaru WRX. The Tarheels and other rarified bluechips are your typical supercar, a Lambo, Ferrari, etc. Gearheads will recognize that this is no slam on the Zags. Far from it. The WRX (and Lancer EVO) are arguably the best performing cars per dollar in the world. They have incredible acceleration and handling. They can tackle a variety of courses -- dirt, sand, ice, hills, you name it. They are incredibly solid cars that more than hold their own against the top vehicles in the world. But they lack raw horsepower and pedigree. They are the everyman's sportscar residing in a world of midmajor subcompact crap. In a straight race to top speed the Lambo wins everytime. It has 800 friggin horsepower. But the NCAA's aren't a drag race. They are a rally race, with twists and turns, dips and hills. The Zags, with some luck, can win such a race. Sure, it probably takes some burnouts and skids by the Lambo, but the Lambo is apt to flail like this because it's driven by a pompus ass with a lead foot who likes tiresmoke. The WRX is driven by a cagey Fin who has spent his entire life training for this race in teh barren wilds of Scandanavia. He has the experience and savvy, but needs to play it smart and lure his for into a trap. Take him hard into a corner and then spin his ass out. Wait, I forgot where I was going with this....

So as long as we stay on the pavement, we should be ok.

Comment

• Salsageek
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Feb 2007

I am glad we are not a NASCAR. Go fast turn left.
          2009 Foo Fantasy Football Champ
          2014 Foo Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Champ

Comment

• GonzagaDynasty
            Banned
            • Dec 2008

Hmmm.. Sports and cars. My favorite! I would Consider Gonzaga a notch above the WRX. I'd give them the WRX STI. UNC on a good day, sure, give them Lambo status...

But everybody knows, Put a couple G's into an STI, and It'll work the Lambo over.....

Comment

• FuManShoes
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GonzagaDynasty View Post
              Hmmm.. Sports and cars. My favorite! I would Consider Gonzaga a notch above the WRX. I'd give them the WRX STI. UNC on a good day, sure, give them Lambo status...

But everybody knows, Put a couple G's into an STI, and It'll work the Lambo over.....
              STI model for sure. That's what I meant. And in fact I think GU is more like a highly tuned STI than a stock one (see: private jet, new arena, Nike FIT jerseys and shoes, John Stockton tutorials.) We have some bling.
              “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

Working...
              X