PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Goodman: "Ranking the Sweet 16 teams by point guards"

ZagNative
03-24-2009, 12:09 PM
FoxSports.Com (http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9373220/Ranking-the-Sweet-16-teams-by-point-guards)

There's a reason why Michigan, Ohio State and Texas aren't around any more. You can't win in the Big Dance without quality point guard play.

Now, if you're talented enough in other places, you might be able to win a couple games. However, eventually it'll catch up with you.

It always does.

It's an easy way to separate the pretenders from the contenders when it comes to winning the national title.

"You definitely need great guard play and hopefully at least one of those guys is a point guard," said Kansas' Bill Self, whose Jayhawks are the defending national champs. "Last year we were fortunate to play three point guards Russell (Robinson), Mario (Chalmers) and Sherron (Collins). If you go back over history, there's been a great point guard or multiple really good guards that could take the pressure off each other. You've got to have a primary handler or two or three guys that can serve and share." And the first three on his list of "Contenders":
1. Syracuse Jonny Flynn is all the Orange need. He plays nearly 40 minutes every game, takes care of the ball, can score and is a terrific leader. We're giving him the edge over Lawson because of all the intangibles. Plus, he's 100 percent healthy.

2. North Carolina When Ty Lawson is at full strength, he's arguably the best in the country. His perimeter shot has improved, his decision-making has been outstanding and there's no one quicker at pushing the ball in transition.

3. Gonzaga The 'Zags are loaded with guys that can run the team. Jeremy Pargo and Matt Bouldin can both handle the ball and freshman Demetri Goodson comes off the bench as a quality backup.

4. UConn Senior A.J. Price can play either backcourt spot and has the ability to both score and distribute. Freshman Kemba Walker gives the Huskies a speedy floor leader who pushes the ball in transition and is a pure point guard.

5. Pittsburgh Senior Levance Fields isn't overly athletic, doesn't shoot it great and doesn't necessarily look the part. However, he's tough, makes big shots when it counts and just wins games.

johnwzag
03-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Ty really ranks on top for the season. The toe may put him in second right now.

UNCbiz
03-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Jeff Goodman is the same fool who was questioning Ty Lawson's toughness and committment last week before the LSU game. I hope Ty's 21 second-half points put that issue to rest. Actually, I don't care if it did or not... Goodman is pretty worthless.

GUZagDenver
03-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Jeff Goodman is the same fool who was questioning Ty Lawson's toughness and committment last week before the LSU game. I hope Ty's 21 second-half points put that issue to rest. Actually, I don't care if it did or not... Goodman is pretty worthless.

I don't really see a problem with ranking Flynn ahead of Lawson, the guy is sick. He is not as quick, but is a much better shooter. He also plays with a lot less talent around him. I don't really see Goodman dogging him by putting him 2nd, but I'm also not a Carolina homer.

UNCbiz
03-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Oh, I wasn't criticizing his ranking -- I think it's arguable, but fair. I was just commenting on his asinine comments calling into question Lawson's commitment and toughness. Maybe it was a good thing... I'm sure Lawson heard about his comments and acted accordingly in the LSU game.

BobZag
03-24-2009, 01:45 PM
How is Larry Drew II doing? Is he considered the PG of the future for UNC, or is he maybe not quite good enough?

johnwzag
03-24-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't really see a problem with ranking Flynn ahead of Lawson, the guy is sick. He is not as quick, but is a much better shooter. He also plays with a lot less talent around him. I don't really see Goodman dogging him by putting him 2nd, but I'm also not a Carolina homer.

Yeah -- Patty Mills is even better then both of them :lmao:

No he is not a better shooter.

A/t Ratio Ranking Stats NCAA.ORG thru 3/22/09
3 Ty Lawson, North Carolina 202/59 3.42
65 Jonny Flynn, Syracuse So. 248/124 2.00

Lawson .538/.817/.473
Flynn .457/.783/.319

Agreed about not having the talent around him. Also 34 points 11 assists in 6 over times against Uconn was pretty darn good. He deserves an award for that and the following games he played. Most guys would have needed a wheel chair I think.

spudzag
03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
How is Larry Drew II doing? Is he considered the PG of the future for UNC, or is he maybe not quite good enough?

Ouch. You called that correctly a year or more ago.

Reborn
03-24-2009, 04:32 PM
The Sweet 16 is filled with other great point guards as well. Lucus from Mich St was the player of the year in Big 10. Wise (Arizona)has been playing phenominal all year, as well in the tournament. How about Evans from Memphis?

chipchildress
03-24-2009, 05:18 PM
it might be a little too early to write him off just yet. he's behind all american lawson and senior frasor on the depth chart, as would just about every other frosh point guard in the country would be.

larry has shown flashes of brilliance in his limited time on the floor. we'll learn plenty next year, but i'm more inclined to think he'll be good rather than bad.

johnwzag
03-24-2009, 05:39 PM
The Sweet 16 is filled with other great point guards as well. Lucus from Mich St was the player of the year in Big 10. Wise (Arizona)has been playing phenominal all year, as well in the tournament. How about Evans from Memphis?

You are right Reborn. There are some great point guards and they are a big reason these teams are in the sweet 16.

HODGY
03-25-2009, 06:13 AM
So by extending the logic just a bit, Goodman thinks the champ will come out of the South Regional. His top 3 guard teams are 3, 1, and 4 teams in this region.