PDA

View Full Version : This just looks...strange

BobZag
03-26-2007, 05:58 PM
http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/usd-m-baskbl-body.html

Bocco
03-26-2007, 06:13 PM
BZ you're right....but with time I suppose we will get accustomed to it. Of the open coaching positions in the WCC I do think Grier made the best choice. If for no other reason if gotta live in California I like San Diego the best.

brasszag
03-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Over time, it'll happen again I suspect.

Few mentioned in his press release that his coaching staff had been together, unchanged at GU for 8 years.

That's amazing continuity of staff for that long.

The coaching tree through GU is starting to branch out.

MDABE80
03-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Iwsh Bill and Nicole all the best. I don't know salary structure in his new job but they won't be liking the real estate prices in SD. Makes it hard to get settled. It's a beautiful school in a great setting but WOW..have those home prices gone off scale. McDonald's should build em a home. :) Abe

SunDevilGolfZag
03-26-2007, 08:24 PM
My sister just sold her home in San Diego for $1.2 million and the same house in a like neighborhood in Spokane would be under $300,000. Ouch!

FuManShoes
03-27-2007, 12:30 AM
Congratulations to coach Grier on his well-deserved first head coaching job! And now, the questions: Why did he go to a WCC school, and why USD, where the boosters have been #####ing and moaning about the Gonzaga influence? Why would they want or accept him? It just all seems a bit incestuous - Grier to USD where he will play GU no less than twice a year, Giacoletti to GU - a head coach coming "home" to be an assistant under his best pal. I guess I never really paid much attention to the machinations of coaching shakeups, but this one is weird. Do we read from it that Few is staying put? That Grier's best opportunities were within the WCC? That Giacoletti was willing to be "demoted" to an assistant again (though an assitant job at GU has got to beat most head coaching jobs) while still getting paid head coaching bucks? Does GU give Tommy Lloyd a raise since Giacoletti, truth be told, doesn't really need a salary given the handsome buyout he's getting from Utah? And for the more important questions, what does Giacoletti bring to GU? What is his philospohy? Is he a flex guy? A recruiter? A defensive coach (no one seems to think he is)? Help!

zagfever86
03-27-2007, 01:28 AM
My sister just sold her home in San Diego for $1.2 million and the same house in a like neighborhood in Spokane would be under $300,000. Ouch!

Location is key in San Diego. My aunt and uncle has a 1800 sq. ft. condo in the Mission Beach area that they could probably net $750,000 if they wanted to sell it.

LargeWilliam
03-27-2007, 06:16 AM
Perhaps he gets a housing allowance. Billy Gillispie is getting 77K a year at Texas A&M. I can't imagine WTF you'd get for $6417 a month in College Station... perhaps an entire trailer park. :D

Birddog
03-27-2007, 06:23 AM
perhaps an entire trailer park.
And probably all double wides at that! Good one Bill.

Birddog

Nevtelen
03-27-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm not particularly thrilled that Grier is going to another WCC school (and it didn't sound like Few was either - and I can't imagine that it's Grier's ideal situation either), but USD does have all the visible earmarks of a place that has the ability to do well with the right coach. The Jenny Craig seems pretty nice, good location (to help recruiting), the admin is at least seeminly committed to having a solid program... If all that is actually true and the booster hissy-fit is dealt with intelligently, then Grier has a real chance to do well down there. I don't believe that he'll built a GU-like monster, but I do hope that he can routinely be in the top 2 or 3 teams in the conference. Hopefully he can also make the post-season every couple of years. It'll undoubtedly take a couple of years to build something, but hopefully the fans and admin have patience with him.

gamagin
03-27-2007, 09:48 AM
would have gone outside the WCC.

Not just for himself, but because he will not be able to get away from comparison that may or may not be fair.

It's a nice thought to think you can export a system that has been successful, but my guess there have been less successes than failures.

But dilution of the baby, or sawing it in half, also has its drawbacks. Both sides could suffer.

This could wind up hurting GU much more than we realize. There is no question that the talent pool in SoCal is much deeper than here in the NW, simply by pure population for starters.

There are tons of choices.

Any young athlete now looking for a GU-type chance to excel at the college level would certainly, suddenly, be interested in the man who helped GU get where it is.

I picture a Micah Downs-like individual, or a Dickau or Knight, who feels he could do better by leaving one of the bigger schools, play more, be appreciated and develop himself suddenly looking at USD.

Many are likely doing it as i write.

Otoh, had Grier gone to another conference, he could enjoy the comparisons and hope to meet up with GU in one tourney or another, without the knife fights I envision developing.

Now, or shortly, grier will be expected to take off his gloves, drop the pretenses, and knock GU out of its place. Or face banishment.

The love will be lost immediately. They system will undergo an autopsy and I doubt it will be pretty.

It's already started with the hard feelings being expressed by the outgoing coach's fans, that in order to beat GU, USD will have to dumb down its roster and sell out its own character and quality in the process.

It's the nature of the beast. It's also just a matter of time before Grier is thrown to these wolves. Or praised by them.

Either way, I won't be made happier by this move.

Nevtelen
03-27-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't think that this move will hurt GU, especially in the recruiting angle - if a kid wants to transfer to GU and we have room for him and he's good, he'll choose us over them, hands down. Not that Grier might not get some transfers - look at USF. But it won't affect who GU'd get. I'd be more worried about that if I was SDSU or Pepp or something.

I do agree with you about the unreal expectations - I really, really hope that doesn't happen to Grier, but it very well might. USD needs to realize that a new coach needs a few years to get himself set with his own recruits and get his system in place. I hope he gets that, but I'm not sure he will. Also, I just don't think USD can be GU, no matter who's at the helm. I hope that the USD faithfull will be content if they can get into the post-season every 2 or 3 years and are consistently near the top of the conference - i.e. the kind of success almost every mid-major in the country has to be content with. I'm not sure that will be the case - even if Grier does that (which we can only hope he does), how long will it be before people are saying that he has to make the post-season every year because he did it at GU after all. I really really hope this doesn't happen to Grier, but I'm not real confident about it.

sonuvazag
03-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Well thought post, Gamagin. I'm mostly with you, except that we may not be looking at a zero-sum game here. If the WCC prestige goes up because of Grier's future success, GU might lose some SoCal recruits and, at the same time, might gain a new selling point for the top 100 recruits who are looking this way--a better conference.

I'm hoping 2-3 rival WCC programs upgrade to a competitive level within shouting distance of Gonzaga. Potentially, with GU as its lightning rod, the WCC could become a 1A conference in the West Coast next to the Pac 10. I suggest its at least possible and, as many fans here have lamented the weak conference, would make for a better Gonzaga as well.

hondo
03-27-2007, 11:03 AM
It's musical chairs and when the music stops you grab a seat. There are way more players than chairs so you don't spend too much time looking for the perfect one.

sdzag
03-27-2007, 11:09 AM
The picture doesn't looks as odd as Few in a Wildcats polo. I'll take Grier leaving for Few staying!