PDA

View Full Version : Why I Don't Like UNC Fans

ZagMania
03-24-2009, 08:20 AM
I'll preface this by saying the title should really be most UNC fans, there is of course many UNC fans that don't fit the bill, but not actually having been to Carolina almost all Tar Heel fans I meet I can barely stop myself from laughing at.

You know who they are, they 'root' for UNC because they like that North Carolina baby blue color and how nicely they think that color looks on their hats. They don't know the players on the end of their own bench and know jack about the rest of college basketball. They say things like this, an actual quote from their scout board, "outside of UNC, college hoops is just unbearable to watch". Having a discussion about college hoops with them is embarrassing, and just 15 seconds into it when you realize they are just another poser UNC fan you have to force a smile and try to transition the conversation to something else because it is just to awkward for both of you.

Sure, there are real UNC fans. But I don't know how they can stand their fan base be latched on to by more fake fans than perhaps any other team I know. I'm almost sorry for them.

former1dog
03-24-2009, 08:34 AM
A similar post could be written about Gonzaga fans, which is why I don't like the premise.

Lets save the stereotyping for the less enlightened members of the college basketball community, shall we.

cjm720
03-24-2009, 08:41 AM
A lot of fan bases are like that...shoot a lot of season ticket holders are like that!

Good luck UNC but I hope the Zags send you home. Go zags!!!

johnwzag
03-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Read ESPN game conversations and some of the so called Gonzaga fans don't look so great either. It is easy to remember the bad ones. Their memory comes with an emotion that is not pleasant.

Right now, I am more negative about St. Mary's fans than any other team. North Carolina fans have every right to be proud of their team. St. Mary's is over hyped. Yeah -- They are a good team, but not as good as the hype. The crap I hear their fans say about being better then Gonzaga and having the best point guard in the country makes me want to puke.

Ty Lawson is the closest thing to the best point guard in the country I have seen this year. I sure hope there is no long term effect of him playing on that toe. He has a bright future.

zagsfanforlife
03-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I am going to have to respectfully disagree. While it is apparent you have disdain for Saint Mary's, their players and fans, I personally believe that if Patty Mills was the point guard for North Carolina, with Ellington, Hansbrough, Green, Thompson, Ed Davis and others around him, without a doubt he would be the best point guard in the nation. I think Mills has better speed, better court vision, and is a much better shooter, especially coming off the pick and pop. I do not know if you have ever played the point guard position but trust me when I say it is a lot easier to look spectacular and make your team better when you have Hansbrough, Ellington, Thompson, Davis and Green than if you have Samham, Simpson, Hughes, Yusef Smith and Wayne Hunter. Patty Mills does more with what he has around him than any other team in the nation, imo. Do we really think Lawson could light Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, and Deron Williams up for 20 points? Or even for that matter 5 or 6 assists with a group of Aussies around him? Debatable but I would take Mills everyday and twice on sunday

2011Zag
03-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Success breeds bandwagon fans.

UNCbiz
03-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Success breeds bandwagon fans.
Unfortunately, that's true. I say unfortunately, but we, of course, benefit from their buying UNC merchandise, etc. I don't like our bandwagoners any more than you do. You won't find many of them at our football and bball games, though.

gu03alum
03-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Do we really think Lawson could light Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, and Deron Williams up for 20 points?

I hate this argument so much. His team lost by 31 points. It's not 'lighting' up anyone when you are getting blown out. Do you think Kobe and Paul were really playing that hard being up by this much?

Mills is a good player, but he just should not be compared to the great players in the NBA. Keyon Dooling scored 19 points against Lebron James and the Cavaliers on Sunday. Does that make him as good as Lebron?

zagsfanforlife
03-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Ha, no hating on Keyon Dooling. He threw me his headband once after a clipper game, sweaty and all.

I would still take Mills. Just my opinion though.

ZagNative
03-24-2009, 10:22 AM
A similar post could be written about Gonzaga fans, which is why I don't like the premise.

Lets save the stereotyping for the less enlightened members of the college basketball community, shall we.QFT.

Angelo Roncalli
03-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Basketball fans are like farts or children.

You tolerate your own, but everyone else's are obnoxious.

RenoZag
03-24-2009, 11:03 AM
What about childlike farts ?

former1dog
03-24-2009, 11:18 AM
What about childlike farts ?

I have a 3 yo and a 2 yo, trust me there is no difference. :)

johnwzag
03-24-2009, 11:34 AM
I think Mills has better speed, better court vision, and is a much better shooter, especially coming off the pick and pop.

Not even close. Mills is very poor point guard. The numbers prove it. Patty Mills is lucky enough to be able to shoot a lot more shots thanks to Samham and Simpson and much lower competition.

See http://web1.ncaa.org/stats

Assist Turnover Ratio Through Games 03/22/2009

Top ten A/T ratio
1 Tyler Newbold, Utah St. So. 6-4 G 35 111 28 3.96
2 Levance Fields, Pittsburgh Sr. 5-10 G 34 258 68 3.79
3 Ty Lawson, North Carolina Jr. 5-11 G 31 202 59 3.42
4 Josh Dotzler, Creighton Sr. 6-1 G 34 115 34 3.38
5 DiJuan Harris, Charlotte Jr. 5-9 G 31 223 76 2.93
6 Zaire Taylor, Missouri Jr. 6-4 G 36 123 42 2.93
7 Ronald Moore, Siena Jr. 6-0 G 35 224 77 2.91
8 Julyan Stone, UTEP So. 6-6 G 32 199 69 2.88
9 Corey Jefferson, Texas St. Sr. 6-0 G 30 159 56 2.84
10 Jackson Emery, BYU So. 6-3 G 33 100 36 2.78
70 Jeremy Pargo, Gonzaga Sr. 6-2 G 32 155 78 1.99

Patty Mills - Not even ranked through 3/22/09.
After Davidson game (10 assists) he would be ranked around 225 in the nation.

On shooting.
PPG / FG% / 3P%/ Ft%
Lawson 16.1 /.538 /.473 /.817
Pargo 10.1 /.475 /.361 /.687
Mills 18.4 /.409/.341/.867

Now your going to tell me that Patty Mills anything except FT? I would not even claim quickness until they match competion with UNC.

HYPE HYPE AND MORE HYPE.

You are not doing the Zags, the WCC or the west any favors by promoting hype. Please stick with the facts. The WCC should get recognition for what is has. Not for what it does not. SMC is a good team because of players like Diamond Simpson and I hate to say it but Omar Samham (minus vocal cords) and their ability to rebound so Patty can throw up a bunch of shots.

Toewon
03-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Not even close. Mills is very poor point guard. The numbers prove it. Patty Mills is lucky enough to be able to shoot a lot more shots thanks to Samham and Simpson and much lower competition.

See http://web1.ncaa.org/stats

Assist Turnover Ratio Through Games 03/22/2009

Top ten A/T ratio
1 Tyler Newbold, Utah St. So. 6-4 G 35 111 28 3.96
2 Levance Fields, Pittsburgh Sr. 5-10 G 34 258 68 3.79
3 Ty Lawson, North Carolina Jr. 5-11 G 31 202 59 3.42
4 Josh Dotzler, Creighton Sr. 6-1 G 34 115 34 3.38
5 DiJuan Harris, Charlotte Jr. 5-9 G 31 223 76 2.93
6 Zaire Taylor, Missouri Jr. 6-4 G 36 123 42 2.93
7 Ronald Moore, Siena Jr. 6-0 G 35 224 77 2.91
8 Julyan Stone, UTEP So. 6-6 G 32 199 69 2.88
9 Corey Jefferson, Texas St. Sr. 6-0 G 30 159 56 2.84
10 Jackson Emery, BYU So. 6-3 G 33 100 36 2.78
70 Jeremy Pargo, Gonzaga Sr. 6-2 G 32 155 78 1.99

Patty Mills - Not even ranked through 3/22/09.
After Davidson game (10 assists) he would be ranked around 225 in the nation.

On shooting.
PPG / FG% / 3P%/ Ft%
Lawson 16.1 /.538 /.473 /.817
Pargo 10.1 /.475 /.361 /.687
Mills 18.4 /.409/.341/.867

Now your going to tell me that Patty Mills anything except FT? I would not even claim quickness until they match competion with UNC.

HYPE HYPE AND MORE HYPE.

You are not doing the Zags, the WCC or the west any favors by promoting hype. Please stick with the facts. The WCC should get recognition for what is has. Not for what it does not. SMC is a good team because of players like Diamond Simpson and I hate to say it but Omar Samham (minus vocal cords) and their ability to rebound so Patty can throw up a bunch of shots.

Great information. The FSU fans were trying to make the same argument for Toney Douglas about POY in the ACC. Douglas avg 20.1 pts/game but all other stats paled in comparison to Lawson’s. Douglas was a scorer playing 1, not a point guard. If Lawson had taken as many shots as Douglas, he would have avg 30 pts/gm.

gu03alum
03-24-2009, 11:57 AM
SMC is a good team because of players like Diamond Simpson and I hate to say it but Omar Samham (minus vocal cords) and their ability to rebound so Patty can throw up a bunch of shots.

I agree. I think Simpson is the best player on that team and is as underrated as Mills is overrated.

johnwzag
03-24-2009, 12:23 PM
Ty is the heart of that team.

zagsfanforlife
03-24-2009, 02:26 PM
I would bet the price of my college education that Patty Mills has a better NBA career as a point guard then Ty Lawson. Imo, Lawson's stats are inflated by the talent around him. Of course your turnover to assist ratio is going to be better when you are not expected to take over games, and have better finishers around you. Mills has to score for SMC to be successful. This dependency on him to score leads to him at times trying to do too much. Therefore the turnovers occur. However, you put him on a team like NC and he would have just as good if not better numbers. He would have better scorers around him to push up his assist total and he would not have to shoot nearly as much, which would improve his shot selection and therefore his shooting percentage. We will see at the next level. I just can not be convinced Lawson is that damn good. He has always been overrated to me. Hopefully I will have the same impression following friday's game.

johnwzag
03-24-2009, 03:31 PM
I would bet the price of my college education that Patty Mills has a better NBA career as a point guard then Ty Lawson.

Hmmm. I have some kids ready for college :)

I don't agree, but respect your opinion.

TarHeels07
03-24-2009, 03:50 PM
The bandwagon fans are gonna be there, nothing you can do about it.

HillBillyZag
03-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey, welcome. I just hope both teams bring their "A" game. If that happens no real fan will be disapponted.

johnwzag
03-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Hey, welcome. I just hope both teams bring their "A" game. If that happens no real fan will be disapponted.

Well said HillBillyZag. I agree.

lothar98zag
03-24-2009, 04:22 PM

Lets save the stereotyping for the less enlightened members of the college basketball community, shall we.
+1

btw, the UNC fans that took the time to come here seem to be just fine.

kitzbuel
03-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I like bandwagon fans. They come and buy things from our site's sponsors and help keep us running.

johnwzag
03-24-2009, 05:43 PM
I like bandwagon fans. They come and buy things from our site's sponsors and help keep us running.

There you go! It takes all types to make the world go around :)

UncleJam
03-24-2009, 06:10 PM
IMHO, some folks are simply fans of a particular team, and rarely watch any games, other than those of their favorite team. Then there are folks like myself. While I am as hard core a UNC fan as you'll find, I am also a fan of the game. I'm not claiming to be some basketball whiz, or even any better than the guy who is just a team fan. Not all of those types are bad, but the largest proportion of rotten apples come from that portion of a fanbase. As a fan of the game, I never denigrate or wish ill will on other team's players, and the same holds true for most college hoops junkies. UNC just has such a huge fanbase, that we are bound to have more a-holes, than most programs. You'll find a much better number of solid fans on the premium board at IC. I very rarely visit the free board. That place is downright scary.

johnwzag
03-24-2009, 06:21 PM
IMHO, some folks are simply fans of a particular team, and rarely watch any games, other than those of their favorite team. Then there are folks like myself. While I am as hard core a UNC fan as you'll find, I am also a fan of the game. I'm not claiming to be some basketball whiz, or even any better than the guy who is just a team fan. Not all of those types are bad, but the largest proportion of rotten apples come from that portion of a fanbase. As a fan of the game, I never denigrate or wish ill will on other team's players, and the same holds true for most college hoops junkies. UNC just has such a huge fanbase, that we are bound to have more a-holes, than most programs. You'll find a much better number of solid fans on the premium board at IC. I very rarely visit the free board. That place is downright scary.

Very good points. Being a fan of the game -- It is hard to listen to some stuff.