PDA

View Full Version : "The Big Lead"

NJZag
03-24-2009, 05:19 AM
This sports blog weighs in with an opinion:

http://thebiglead.com/?p=12600

"Unless Austin Daye Gets His Act Together Real Quick, Gonzaga Will Have No Chance Against UNC"

FuManShoes
03-24-2009, 05:53 AM
Apparently the good writer missed the start of the WKU game when Austin went 3-4 including a stone-cold three to open the contest and then got called for a series of ticky tack BS calls that have come to typify his career. Yes, Austin whines. Yes, he is skinny. Yes, he is not an "explosive" player at this point. And yes he gave up that offensive board at the worst possible time. But for god's sake can folks quit with this crap about Austin being a bust or a headcase and all the rest? It especially amuses me that people who rarely watch Zags hoops as I imagine is the case with "the Big Lead" are so convinced of Daye's ineptness. Guess that whole knee injury and single season blocks record and 13 ppg on 48% shooting and 7 boards a game thing escapes them or they just chalk the numbers up to Daye's natural gifts which they then turn around and ridicule.

Birddog
03-24-2009, 06:28 AM
FuMan,
Daye's game is pretty good, that's why he is on the floor. He gets a lot of blocked shots. He is a match-up problem for almost every team, so they "body him" to neutralize his talents, and many times with good results. There is a reason why virtually every talking head/analyst says that he's a little "soft" and or lacks "maturity". I'm suspecting that Few and Co have decided that his assets outweigh his liabilities, but I for one, would have had him on the pine longer in the WKU game. I think he plays to maybe 80% of his potential, just MO. He will have to play at a much higher % for the Zags to advance, he is capable. I hate to lay it on one guy, but I see AD's play as a real key in this game. If he plays like Gumbi, we're screwed, if he gets a case of Caseyitis, we'll win. The article is over the top in criticism but I get his point.

bartruff1
03-24-2009, 07:41 AM
If any three of the 7 Zags that will play the majority of the minutes gets hot they just might win...IF they can all play a determined defense...I can't wait to see what Few's game plan will be....a zone ??? The man is a genius.. the only big man I can remember beating him was Blake Griffin and they have played most of them from Bogut to Thabeet ??? It seems to me that they will have to turn the Zags over 20 times and hit 12+ threes to win...I just hope the refs are consistent and our players adjust...

mdZag23
03-24-2009, 07:01 PM
He's going to have to play a lot of it due to the front line depth of Carolina! We can't afford to have JH on the bench at the end of the game. This is going to be a close one and fouls are going to be huge in this game.

bartruff1
03-24-2009, 07:53 PM
He's going to have to play a lot of it due to the front line depth of Carolina! We can't afford to have JH on the bench at the end of the game. This is going to be a close one and fouls are going to be huge in this game. this game decided by inconsistant calls...please

seasontixholder
03-25-2009, 06:01 AM
Our best defense against WKU happened when Goodson and Daye were in the game together. It took the coaching staff way too long to insert Meech, and Daye's fouls prevented him from being in there much after Goodson arrived, but when they were together WKU was not as efficient. It's too bad that the refs punished AD for some of the most minor fouls ever committed/imagined.