PDA

View Full Version : Basketball and teary losses

Section 116
03-26-2007, 03:27 PM
As you may or may not know, at the post game press conference following yesterday's UNC loss to Georgetown, UNC Coach Roy Williams was actually seen shedding tears. It seems like yesterday those of us who love GU basketball were fending off remarks regarding Adams's collapse to the floor following the difficult loss to UCLA. Herewith is what the Charlotte Observer had to say regarding Coach Williams and his teary eyes:

Some people might think it's goofy to watch a grown man like Roy Williams with teary eyes over losing a basketball game. But it's also nice to see somebody who seems so fond of his players that he can't bear to be finished coaching them.

As all of us know, Adams tears certainly reflected his distress over the loss. I haven't heard anyone calling out Williams for his display of emotions.

Link: http://www.charlotte.com/507/story/63237.html

LargeWilliam
03-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Anybody who doesn't understand why any of that happens has never played the game. Or certainly never played it with a passion.

Also I know that with diabetes when your levels get out of whack you can become very irritable and/or emotional.

CDC84
03-26-2007, 03:39 PM
I have always liked Roy Williams and I always will. I know he is one of Few's closest allies in the coaching profession. He was one of the first guys to call Mark when Josh and Theo were arrested.

SteeleMan
03-26-2007, 04:55 PM
oh sure, bring that up... Morrison's collapse is etched into my mind.

BobZag
03-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Anybody who doesn't understand why any of that happens has never played the game. Or certainly never played it with a passion.

Bingo, LW. Only losers make fun of people like that.

SteeleMan
03-26-2007, 07:58 PM
"Passion" isn't just a TV soap or a smell-good spray. It's devoting everything you have within yourself to a cause, goal and/or purpose, and working every hour of every day toward that goal, without conditions. "Passion" can be felt within yourself on many different levels. Real, deep passion is worn on the sleeve, and is visible for anyone to see.

soonerterp
03-27-2007, 03:34 AM
As you may or may not know, at the post game press conference following yesterday's UNC loss to Georgetown, UNC Coach Roy Williams was actually seen shedding tears. It seems like yesterday those of us who love GU basketball were fending off remarks regarding Adams's collapse to the floor following the difficult loss to UCLA. Herewith is what the Charlotte Observer had to say regarding Coach Williams and his teary eyes:

Some people might think it's goofy to watch a grown man like Roy Williams with teary eyes over losing a basketball game. But it's also nice to see somebody who seems so fond of his players that he can't bear to be finished coaching them.

As all of us know, Adams tears certainly reflected his distress over the loss. I haven't heard anyone calling out Williams for his display of emotions.

Link: http://www.charlotte.com/507/story/63237.html

They write about it like its something new for some reason. When he was still at Kansas, fans from rival schools called him "Weepin' Woy" for that very reason.

And you know what? BFD. Nothing wrong with a gentleman shedding tears. It shows some semblance of humanity.

The Cure might have said, in song, that "Boys Don't Cry," but there's a big difference between boys and men. Call me nuts but I think it takes a bigger man to lay bare that kind of emotion (and that is NOT followed up by an even bigger man that would laugh at him in the Jack Handey maxim).

LargeWilliam
03-27-2007, 05:11 AM
Jack and I went to h/s together. He was editor of the paper, I was the sports ed. Jack wrote a weekly column filled with his wit...who knew?????

sonuvazag
03-27-2007, 06:52 AM
I cried when my six grade basketball team lost its undefeated season. No pain in my life has ever been so visceral and, thinking back now, that event turned me into the hallow emotionless shell of a man I am now.:)

VanZagar
03-27-2007, 02:09 PM
I've cried after a tough defeat but I never taunted anyone else when they were down. That dual capability puts AM in a different class. One that doesn't deserve the same respect as us other crybabies listed above.