PDA

View Full Version : OMG, Not Since 2006!

BobZag
03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
:D

I am getting quite a kick out of how the media is constantly talking about how Gonzaga hasn't been to the Sweet Sixteen since 2006. They make it sound like 1970 or something. It's kinda amazing in a good way.

Look up and down the west coast. You see huge, wealthy schools with supposedly great recruiting classes relegated to no postseason tourney at all, or some joke like the CBI, or pre-SS exits.

In short, I dig how Coach Few has elevated this program to the point where the national media looks upon it much like they look upon the bluebloods.

GoZags
03-23-2009, 03:53 PM
When was the last time Duke reached the Sweet 16?

LynetteG
03-23-2009, 03:55 PM
same, 2006

mdZag23
03-23-2009, 04:01 PM
1. The Pac-10 Champion, who lost to an inferior Purdue team and didn't win their own tournament, is being dubbed a group of overachievers! I will say that at the beginning of the season, NOT one person in up and down the West Coast picked them to finish in the top half of the Pac 10 and I think they did overachieve for most of the season. But man do you hear nothing about the colossal first half collapse and the fact that they should have made the Sweet 16. I live in Seattle and the arrogant ####### that is the Husky Fan would be all over the Zags if the tides were reversed. Heck, they have been all over us for the last 2 years and they didn't even sniff the NIT. And I still don't think Romar can coach, he can recruit and he is a great guy, but....

2. UCLA out is a sight to behold in my opinion. Getting trounced like they did made me feel real good for their fans! Couldn't have happened to a nicer group!

3. I'm just so conflicted by how much I respect Ben Howland and Coach K and I just can not stand....I guess, their arrogant fans!

4. Beat Carolina!

75Zag
03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
Fun article in New York Times today here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/sports/ncaabasketball/24thamel.html?_r=1&hp

Read it for yourself, but the point of the article is that the NCAA tournament this year is not very exciting because the Sweet 16 consists of the same old power schools as always. GU is discussed and labeled as just another power school, a regular at the tournament, not an outsider.

On the one hand, I don't want my Bulldogs lumped in with the BCS bozos. On the other hand, the premise of the article gives the GU program a lot of respect - we're just another of the same old big boys.

Go Bulldogs!

BobZag
03-23-2009, 04:18 PM
I think the bigger point of this is that Gonzaga is making fifth appearance in 11 years. That's a good amount of success for a team. I think next year will be even better.

I have that same feeling, as illogical as it may sound.

And 75Zag is right.

75Zag
03-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Is there a way to tell whether or not the GU game will be the "preferred" game on CBS in Southern California on Friday? I have friends and family bugging me to help them figure out whether they can stay home and watch their cable tv or whether they need to head out for a sports bar to be guaranteed wire-to-wire coverage of the GU game.

This may be a duplicate post and I apologize, but I have not seen this question answered anywhere yet.

Go Bulldogs!

BCZag
03-23-2009, 04:23 PM
I don't think "1970" is that long ago....

BobZag
03-23-2009, 04:24 PM

I hear ya, BC. :)

UberZagFan
03-23-2009, 04:25 PM
It is pretty crazy that a two year absence draws so much attention.

p.s. do the mods think they could sticky any more threads in the forum? it'd be nice to get to a whole page of stickied threads.

Therunner
03-23-2009, 04:35 PM
It was case in point when Doug Gottlieb was threatening to throw away his "Zag nation" card if we failed to make the Sweet 16. These are unrealistic expectations by the talking heads, IMO. People, in general, actually expect us to be the Sweet 16 year in and year out. ESPN has even deemed this Sweet 16 an Exclusive Club comprising of only elite bball programs and the power schools. Amazing. No mention of "underdog" or "cinderella" anymore. To be honest, there is a part of me that actually misses the term(only a little). That is why Friday's matchup is so enticing, it almost feels like we're the "hunter" once again.

I don't mind that role at all;) .

gueastcoast
03-23-2009, 04:38 PM
...someone a bit more internet/media-savvy than I am do a scan on how many stories there are about this being our first SS since 2006 (can you even remember way back when? we used to walk miles through the snow to school...) and oh, say, the storied Kentucky squad not making the dance this year?

Just to choose one (perhaps more newsworthy and less biased) story(line), mind you. ;)

ZagLawGrad
03-23-2009, 05:38 PM

Nothing to do with the 70's is that long ago as far as I'm concerned!

Ziggy
03-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Nothing to do with the 70's is that long ago as far as I'm concerned!

I remember it like the back of my head,er...the inside of my eyeballs,uhm...
I remember most of my waking hours except the weekends (and the summers).

GO ZAGS!!!!! BEAT UNC!!! I'LL REMEMBER THAT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!

ziggarut
03-23-2009, 06:24 PM
"I think this team has a legit starting line up to build for next year:

Goodson
Bouldin
Gray
Daye
Sacre"

Sorry but at this point I am not sold on Gray being a starter. Goodson and Bouldin will start, so that leaves a 6'3" Gray as a wing? His shooting the past 2 months has been erratic at best, and unless it returns, I would think that a true wing would emerge a starter, e.g. Kong or Arop.

Gray, Gibbs, Poling and Kong/Dower would probably come off the bench first.

Just my musings, but Gray is either in a soph slump or he isn't the shooting guard we thought he was. Either way, in 2009-10 we have, imo, MORE talent than the school has ever had and PT will not be easy to come by... You better bring your a-game or you will be riding pine.

Zag79
03-24-2009, 08:52 PM
next years lineup is much less attractive than this years IMO. can we concentrate on a team that can make the elite 8 please? :o

bballbeachbum
03-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Fun article in New York Times today here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/sports/ncaabasketball/24thamel.html?_r=1&hp

Read it for yourself, but the point of the article is that the NCAA tournament this year is not very exciting because the Sweet 16 consists of the same old power schools as always. GU is discussed and labeled as just another power school, a regular at the tournament, not an outsider.

On the one hand, I don't want my Bulldogs lumped in with the BCS bozos. On the other hand, the premise of the article gives the GU program a lot of respect - we're just another of the same old big boys.

Go Bulldogs!

Cool that we're not an outsider because we've earned that, and cooler still that we get inside by being outside the BCS box imo!

we are no BCS status quo entrant into this dance contest...no, not the same old big boy thing at all, but we are not outsiders at this annual party.

Makes me love us even more!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

coolhandzag
03-25-2009, 09:21 AM
NEVER throw away any Card!

zagsmyboys
03-25-2009, 09:52 AM
I am pretty sure you will get the game in Cali on regular time. They want to make sure St. Mary's and SCU are able to watch......:lmao:

77Zag
03-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Wow -- way back in 2006 I had money in my 401K

Vizagra
03-25-2009, 10:35 AM

I am getting quite a kick out of how the media is constantly talking about how Gonzaga hasn't been to the Sweet Sixteen since 2006. They make it sound like 1970 or something. It's kinda amazing in a good way.

Look up and down the west coast. You see huge, wealthy schools with supposedly great recruiting classes relegated to no postseason tourney at all, or some joke like the CBI, or pre-SS exits.

In short, I dig how Coach Few has elevated this program to the point where the national media looks upon it much like they look upon the bluebloods.

It is funy the media picks us to say this about, when their BCS darlings UCONN hadn't won a tourney game since 2006 either. don't hear that though, only GU.

GO ZAGS...MAN I CAN'T WAIT FOR FRIDAY!

gmo
03-25-2009, 01:12 PM

Completely agree BZ - well said as always. With higher standards comes the good and the bad I guess, but it really does say a lot in terms of the national perception out there. Keep reading all of the tourney publicity how all these traditional powers are left in the Sweet 16 and nobody is following that up with an "except for Gonzaga" like they would have just a few years ago.

lothar98zag
03-25-2009, 03:40 PM
I think the bigger point of this is that Gonzaga is making its fifth appearance in 11 years.
see - http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=19922