PDA

View Full Version : If u could add a Zag to this team...who?

jazzdelmar
03-23-2009, 12:49 PM
If u could add one Zag of the past 10 yrs to this team, who wd it be? He wd not displace any particular player but bring something valuable to this squad.....Some of the most obvious first thoughts may not be the best in this case......My choice is so clear, I will hold off and assume most of u will agree.................

billyberu
03-23-2009, 12:51 PM
JP Batista.

zagfan16
03-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Any one of Cory, Casey, or J.P. an inside enforcer to mix in with the more athletic JH, grabbin rebounds and playing excellent defense.

Saxon_zag
03-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Had this talk with a friend the other day and it was for sure J.P.

Any time he caught the ball in the post and just put that little hook up there i expected it to go in

Pleasant Peninsula
03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
It's gotta be a post player, so either JP, Casey or Çory.

hockeyzag
03-23-2009, 12:55 PM
JP Batista at the 5. Although I would worry a little about his defense since that is such a advantage for us this year.

Imagine JP at the 5, Josh at the 4, Austin/Downs 3, Bouldin/Gray 2, and Pargo/Goodson 1
Unreal lineup

crockdaddy
jp or ronny. ammo's competitive streak would be great, but scorers are the only commodity the team has in abundance. a rebounder/post presence = national championship, in my opinion.

theirishzag03
Hard to pick against a guy who is a captain of an NBA Team and a $17Million Dollar Man!!!

1st choice- Ronny Turiaf- good post up moves, great at drawing fouls (and making FT's) We need a strong rebounding presence and a tough energy guy!

Very close 2nd-CORY VIOLETTE!!!

Big, thick, Tough- remember when Michigan State beat us, he was the ONE guy who fought his butt off and never seemed intimidated. Good FT shooter, good touch, great on the boards.

UberZagFan
03-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Uber says a rebounding enforcer is needed most, but that changes a lot of other complexities on this team, so Uber says he is fine with what GU has right now. He prefers to dance with the girl he brought (well, her and her friends).

cjm720
03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
JP - big body, FTs are no problem, soft hands.

GO ZAGS!!

SFZag06
03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
JP would have to be pick if we could add any Zag. He could provide post up offense on anyone and allow Josh to play more of the 4, which he probably is a little better at. Although he has shown signs of being able to post up lately. Also JP could shoot FT's like no other.

FuManShoes
03-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Hard to pick against a guy who is a captain of an NBA Team and a $17Million Dollar Man!!!

1st choice- Ronny Turiaf- good post up moves, great at drawing fouls (and making FT's) We need a strong rebounding presence and a tough energy guy!

Very close 2nd-CORY VIOLETTE!!!

Big, thick, Tough- remember when Michigan State beat us, he was the ONE guy who fought his butt off and never seemed intimidated. Good FT shooter, good touch, great on the boards.

I'm with you. We need an enforcer who can get out and run and board and that would be Turiaf, Violette or Cavalry. Sacre would have filled this role nicely but alas, it wasn't meant to be this year.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Gotta be JP....the least likely to detract from the current team and the most likely to add a major plus

LongIslandZagFan
03-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Tough call... but based on our needs... Ronny or JP... or if I could truly have it my way.. J.P. Turiaf... a mix of size, great post skills and pure unadulterated energy. :D

johnwzag
03-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Ronny or JP

KOzag08
03-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Ronny

Voice4Vision
03-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Mine would be Erroll Knight.

Brings Athleticism, Attitude, FIRE, and his AWESOME DEFENSE.

All without altering the team characteristics.

jazzdelmar
03-23-2009, 01:11 PM
all good choices....but standouts like Ammo and DD might polarize the current team; besides, as was said, we dont need scorers.............down to Cory, RT and JP, i stay w JP.......Cory's inside skills were not quite up to JP's and RT might be too emotional for this button down team............

DenDiegoZag
03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Ronny very slightly over JP...because Ronny was a better interior defender and a shot blocking presence...

DixieZag
03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Casey Calvary, thats it, thats the list as Tony Kornheiser might say. He would simply stare at the Tar Heels and Ty Lawson's toe would hurt, TH would get the "flu" and CC would tip in the winner.

coolhandzag
03-23-2009, 01:16 PM
I saw up close and personal the effect JP could have on a game at Maui. Boone begged for the ball against Pendo, and all but dissapeared when JP got back in. Case is a very close second.

Once and Future Zag
03-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Casey would be my first choice. Attitude, skills, and massive athleticism.

a13coach
03-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Casey.

They would have better interior defense and rebounding.
Another big that the other team would have to worry about guarding the top of the key 3-line. Man how that would really really open up the inside. If you could draw the other teams 2 bigs down low that much more away from the hoop, Micah thrives by being able to slash which then sets him up latter to knock down 3's. Jeremy thrives by getting to the hoop (more room to work his magic), Matt thrives by either making his stop and go move or posting his defender up. Oh the possibilities.
The toughness that would always be there. Never a night off in that department.

zagsmyboys
03-23-2009, 01:25 PM
I still love Ravio!!!

GonzagaDynasty
03-23-2009, 01:29 PM
I gotta say

1. Turiaf
2. J.P

omahazag
03-23-2009, 01:32 PM
My brother and I were discussing this last night and both concluded that we could use a guy like JP Batista inside.

BilboZaggins
03-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Hands down the clear choice for me.

Consistent low post scorer.

zagsmyboys
03-23-2009, 01:49 PM
What about Ravio?

RenoZag
03-23-2009, 01:52 PM
1. Turiaf
2. Cavalry

billyberu
03-23-2009, 01:52 PM
What about Ravio?

This current team is set with guards. They may lack Ravio's FT% and 3pt%, but they are a might better at penetrating and scoring. If this team has any glaring needs it is a reliable presence in the low-post and the chemistry to go along with it. Jazz hits this one out of the park.

MJ777
03-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Ronny -NO - Love the passion and the energy, but I can't get the missed FTs from the TTU game out of my head.

Adam - NO - Love the passion and his ability to seemingly score at will, but would not be a good fit on this team.

Raivio - NO - The team can shoot 3s and FTs good enough.
---Another quality BIG would be nice.

JP or Calvary - Yes with a slight nod to JP (If only JP had passed to DRAV against the team that won't be mentioned, he and the Zags would have made the E8 like CC's team).

rennis
03-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Casey Calvary. High/low w/ Calvary and Heytvelt would make opposing coaches pee their bed at night.

Can I say Jon Brockman?

DrDrivel
03-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Will Sherrell. Man, if wishes were fishes, right...?

UberZagFan
03-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Will Sherrell. Man, if wishes were fishes, right...?

You meant Will Farrell, right?:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/996/08heidiklumwillferrell0.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=08heidiklumwillferrell0.jpg)

webspinnre
03-23-2009, 02:49 PM
This is tough. It'd definitely be a big - I'm torn between JP and Ronny. On one hand, I absolutely love JP's offensive skills, but I'm not sure another scorer is quite what we need. Based on that, I'd take Ronny by just a hair, given his shot-blocking and rebounding. Casey would be a close third.

DrDrivel
03-23-2009, 02:51 PM
It's the conflation of Jay Sherrell and Will Ferrell - their homely, un-handsome lovechild. I actually have no idea what this would look like, but it would have thick, woolly, blanched white chest hair and a total lack of focus.

Bulldog
03-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Don't even have to think about it.

CASEY CALVARY

tobizag
03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
casey

SWZag
03-23-2009, 03:30 PM
I'd bring back Q.

I would definitly bring back Q.

SWZag

rawkmandale
03-23-2009, 03:35 PM
I'd bring back a guy who was on the team the last time we beat UNC - Mr. Hustle, Mr. Glue, Mr. Do What It Takes To Win - PENDO.

jaszag
03-23-2009, 04:40 PM
As much as the Calvary attitude (think Downs, with Bouldin size and Mark Spink panache) would be awesome on the court, logic and current needs dictate Ronny or JP. I'd take Ronny's D and JP's offense, but if you had to pick, it'd be JP. Even though he didn't have the emotion and defensive presence of Turiaf, JP filled big-time space.

Plus, JP (low block) and Heytfeldt (high post) would be a more effective 1-2 interior punch than Turiaf and Josh.

Great thread Jazz.

Larrylegend
03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Casey Calvary. If you thought GU put on a dunkfest against The Red Blob, the backboard would have been demolished if Calvary had played.

"Anyways, right off the opening tip, Casey Calvary throws down a monster thunder dunk against Saint Mary's and slaps the backboard hard for good measure. He got a technical foul for it, but the message was sent. GU won by 14. Just a bad-ass move by a bad-ass player on a bad-ass team."

Russell Bevan
03-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Friends,

What this team needs more than anything else is a leader who everyone would pay attention to and deliver in the clutch, so I would pick either Matt S or Dan D.

We could use a big man, no doubt about it, but we need an alpha male who never has emotional breakdowns even more.

billyberu
03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Friends,

What this team needs more than anything else is a leader who everyone would pay attention to and deliver in the clutch, so I would pick either Matt S or Dan D.

We could use a big man, no doubt about it, but we need an alpha male who never has emotional breakdowns even more.

We may already have one in the making. Meet Mr. Demetri Goodson.

4AmericasTeam
03-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Ronny

kclubfounder
03-23-2009, 05:20 PM
PENDO

Attitude along with talent wins championships.

Do NOT forget about the attitude part of the equation. Pendo was the ultimate Zag, and he is the guy I would want on any team.

NEC26
03-23-2009, 05:28 PM
How good would our defense be with Ronny? I would venture tops in the nation easy. On the other hand J.P. Batista would make our offense unstoppable. Oh well I'm just enjoying the great season were having.

ZagLawGrad
03-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Big Bodied Diesels-----Corey or JP

MickMick
03-23-2009, 05:52 PM
1) Calvary
1a) Batista

2) Turiaf

HillBillyZag
03-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Oh yea!! Ronny, Casey or JP.

MDABE80
03-23-2009, 06:36 PM
JP...I quite agree we don't need a disruptive polarizing kid. JP was just soooo smooth getting his boards and his points. We have scorers from outside...we haven't had a superb inside guy since JP left. Josh should be but it's just not for him.sad to say. JP was quietly effective.

Home never look so good:)

ZagNut08
03-23-2009, 07:18 PM
jp

TwoCatsOne
03-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Instead of looking backwards, I'd like to look forwards and pick the Sacre that will be playing 2 years from now.

Zag2000
03-24-2009, 05:07 AM
1. Axel Dench. He went on to become the rookie of the year in Australia and had he opted to play in the NBA was drafted by the Rockets. He was a sweet shooting 7 footer.
2. Turiaf. The only Zag in the last 10 years to get a whole lot of consistent playing time in the NBA, aside from Stockton.
3. JP. The guy was a beast.
4. Casey - a great, active, strong guy in the paint who broke a backboard!

Zag79
03-24-2009, 09:00 PM
JP Batista would make this team a national title winning team, and yet not mess up the chemistry. players like danny, ammo, etc would require too many shots to be helpful. we dont need more guards, or even wing players. we have great leadership. move josh to the 4, and this is your lineup.

pargo
bouldin
daye or micah
josh
batista

with gray and micah or daye off the bench. lol wow. edited to add, ronny didnt finish anything like JP did, and even pendo while mr heart wasnt as big of a help as man crushing fans thought. i loved the dude for his no quit, all out attitude but it seemed at times he wasnt good enough to be on the floor. i know he was all high school this, scored etc points but he didnt do much in march or down the stretch. i dont get how some fan favorites really make this team better.

ZagLawGrad
03-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Kinda surprised Corey hasn't got more love on this thread. Wide body, strong, good defender and shooter. He and Batista a lot alike IMO.

odeasmcgu
03-24-2009, 09:29 PM
I think when you ask this question is "who complements Josh the most???"

I think that guy has got to be Casey or Ronny. JP was a banger power forward and that would be nice, but you need a real defensive presence. I always thought Turiaf was that guy for GU. Also you have to think about the guys you're facing or could possibly face. Put Ronny up against Thabeet or S. Samuels, or Ed Davis would give GU much more freedom to run their sets.

Also you have to think that a guy like Ronny would take pressure off Austin. He could play the 3 which would be a matchup nightmare for most teams.

Jabberwock
03-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Obvious thoughts are JP, Ronny or Knight. I know that don't need another guard but I would love to see Q Hall suit up again, he was the fire that lit that team in 99'.

4EVERaZAG
03-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Gotta take Ronny for rebounding, shot-blocking and low post presence on the offensive end.