PDA

View Full Version : So was our game with you a blessing in disguise...?

adallastiger
03-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Yes, I think you caught us on a really good nite a long month or so ago. That being said, seems you guys have really turned it around. Did you decide to be more physical? Did Mark make some changes?

That I can remember, since the Memphis game you haven't lost? In a crazy sort of way, that game sort of turned your season around, or so it seems?

Any reason why?

See you in the finals!

A Dallas Tiger

billyberu
03-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Time should soon tell. I'm honestly looking at the UConn game as a learning tool for our upcoming game against UNC. However, getting punched in the mouth by Memphis and having the mental toughness to regroup and continue on our current run is a positive in my book.

What I really look forward to is our team playing in the comfy confines of your arena. Familiarity is a plus. I'm sure UNC fans will outnumber us, but I have faith that enough Zag fans will travel and local Memphis fans will turn out to see what certainly promises to be a great game. If the Zags get any kind of momentum to quiet the Heels fans will then hear how many are rooting for our Bulldogs.

GonzagaDynasty
03-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Memphis fans are truly awesome. I cant name ONE WSU/UW fan that has the kind of respect for us. I guess its because there is no instate rivalry/bitterness/jealousy/envy between us and Memphis, but it is pretty cool. Memphis is like our big brother, and they have our backs on Friday

OldManTiger
03-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Memphis fans are truly awesome. I cant name ONE WSU/UW fan that has the kind of respect for us. I guess its because there is no instate rivalry/bitterness/jealousy/envy between us and Memphis, but it is pretty cool. Memphis is like our big brother, and they have our backs on Friday and Sunday

fixed it for you

DoMieD
03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Yes, Memphis fans are GREAT.. Thanks for all the support!

rennis
03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
I think the punch in the mouth didn't turn the season around for us.

Few benching Bouldin, Pargo, and Daye in that second half is what turned it around.

I also don't think we needed to be turned around. We were already well on our way to a conference championship when we played the Tigers. My hunch, overall however, is that players will look back more to the UConn game when thinking about UNC, than the Memphis game in which we never had a chance to win.

Go Zags, Go Tigers.

GUZag08
03-23-2009, 12:53 PM
I definitely feel like that game was a turning point.

And I agree, Memphis fans are cool

kitzbuel
03-23-2009, 12:56 PM
As a fan, it showed me that a team can utilize length and athleticism to neutralize size. Memphis has figured out that they don't have to match up with teams lb for lb, but can use their quickness and precise offense to open up defenses. GU definitely does much the same thing and it was good to see it run to perfection, just not against us.

johnwzag
03-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Yes.

Spokanicoug
03-23-2009, 02:46 PM
I cant name ONE WSU/UW fan that has the kind of respect for us.

Ahem...

adallastiger
03-23-2009, 03:06 PM
...both coaches mutually respect each other. Our programs are similar...not BCS, dominate each conference, good kids, and so forth.

Also, we are not in state rivals, that helps. We both need each other sort of, especially to play one another.

You will have the Total backing of everyone in Memphis, you'll be playing on a home court.

Good luck, keep your promise!

Tigers and Zags in the final four

ZagManFan
03-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Memphis game gave us a reality check, but I think the game that turned it around was USC Upstate in my mind. Just play and have fun. That's when we are at our best.

kclubfounder
03-23-2009, 04:12 PM
I've been thinking for a long time that this is THE YEAR for the Zags. Then we got placed in Portland for the 1st 2 rounds. Then we got placed in Memphis for the next 2 rounds.

If there was one place outside the Pacific NW that I would like to see Gonzaga have to play, it is in Memphis.

Trust me Tiger fans, if Memphis ever ends up within striking distance of Zag fans, you will also get the benefit of a home court.

Memphis VS Gonzaga in the championship game. What a great ring that has to it. And we would continue to play and respect and like each other for years and years to come, regardless of the outcome.

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!!

And TIGERS!!!!!!!

UberZagFan
03-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Uber agrees with the reality check more than turning the season around. The season was good going into the game and good coming out of it--GU was well on its way to winning the WCC again and looking primed to win the WCC tourney. Considering GU's conference, anything higher than a 3 seed was a pipe dream anyhow, so the loss at most pushed GU down one line. And GU still got to play its first two in Portland--which they would have win or lose against Memphis.

It was a reality check in the sense the team was shown that you can't just show up in the first half sleep walking and expect to be in the game against high-level competition. It's a 40 minute game and many times the first 20 are as important as the last 20. GU may have learned that reality--Uber says "may" because the first half of Akron had him wondering.

BobZag
03-23-2009, 04:33 PM
"So was our game with you a blessing in disguise...?"

It must've been deeply disguised because that was as disheartening a game by the Zags that I've seen in a long while. Hopefully, a blessing.