PDA

View Full Version : Another Coach bites the dust.

HillBillyZag
03-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I see that Arkansas fired their Coach today. Terrible, the guy was only 21-14 and in the SEC. If memory serves me right there are nearly 400 Schools playing Div.I basketball right now. Only the top sixty five make the NCAA, only thirty-two will now make the NIT. That means a Coach could have a team in the top 100 hoops teams in the Nation and still have to stay home in the post season. I never coached above the High School level myself, but even at that level ,to take over a program, know your kids, and install your own system and feeders takes 3-4 seasons, unless you are fortunate enough to come into a solid system that you can live with and a program with a winning tradition. How often does that happen? These Presidents and athletic directors who expect a miracle worker to re-invent a down program in just a season or two are living in a dream world. And we fans are guilty as well, placing high or winning your Conference Title is not good enough, you have to win the Conference Tourney also, and if you go 21-4, win the Crown but lose in the tourney and get no post-season bid, the alums and boosters are screaming for your blood. Coaches are teachers, not merely pipelines to the next level, or salesman for a shoe or equipment Company. If I had a son,I would want him to play for a Coach who would give him a chance to maximize his God-given talent, give him instruction to further his knowledge and love of his sport, ask him to give 110% in everything he does, and moniter his Academics/ behavior to help him with social/life skills. Winning a game is great, but winning at the Game of Life is even better. And as the old cliche goes: : at times a ounce of LOYALTY is worth a pound of skill." For shame, a lot of good Coaches deserve better then merely being judged on a few down years.

Nevtelen
03-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Chalk up another really dumb coach firing this off-season. The guy improved their win percentage every year, got them to the tourney the past 2 years, had 2 20+ win seasons, recruited talent like Brewer, and started when the program headed downwards. What more could you ask of somebody? Who do they think they're going to get to replace him that would have done a better job with what they had? Unreal expectations. Who wants to walk into that job?

tobizag
03-26-2007, 02:13 PM
I mean, like, who do they think they are (Arkansas), Kentucky?

;)

Terribly unreal expectations.

dawgman1999
03-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Get Nolan Richardson back there!