PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few on Jim Rome

sullyzag66
03-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Just heard that Rome will have Few on in the third hour of his radio program.

gmo
03-23-2009, 10:15 AM
after the break...

quick google search found a streaming online link...

http://radiotime.com/station/s_24598/XX_Sports_Radio_1090.aspx

gmo
03-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Quick recap for anyone who missed and is interested... these are not exact quotes, I can't write that fast and even though I only made it to pre-med and not actual medical school my handwriting is about as readable as most doctors' (no offense Abe and the other docs on here!)...

JR
Mark Few of Gonzaga is joining us, with the 2nd best winning % all time in college. 1st time in the sweet 16 since 2006, how does it feel to be back?

MF
Awesome. It rewards guys like Jeremy Pargo, Micah Downs, Josh Heytfelt with all he has been through and all the guys. It is a fun group. Some groups you want it to be done with and others you want it to keep going (he later clarified he mostly meant stories from other coaches from what he has heard - he has enjoyed all of his teams at GU).

Best thing about the group is they have faced adversity, the UConn loss and others and the guys were still just as easy to coach, worked just as hard through it all.

JR
Speaking of the UConn loss, if that miracle three pointer at the buzzer hadn't gone in for them, how would this season look in comparison?

MF
Conceivably we could have been in the running for a #1 seed (Rome agreed). I think it knocked our confidence back some. Maybe because of it we have had to dig deeper, maybe it made us stronger not to use a cliche.

JR speaking on Demetri Goodson
Amazing shot to win the game for a fresman- he is a different sort of a freshman though isn't he?

MF
He is. Rice and the other coaches worked EXTREMELY hard to get him. He was so highly recruited out of Texas. He is the toughest guy on the team. He has made that shot a lot in practice. I had a peaceful, easy feeling to use an Eagles lyric when he had the ball in his hands on that last play.

JR
Better not to call a timeout in that situation?

MF
It is in my opinion, especially if you trust your guards. When you have a Bouldin and a Pargo and a Goodson out there. Best analogy I once heard was that a coach with 1 year left on his contract calls a timeout in that situation to prove their coaching ability.

JR
Where does that shot rank in all of Gonzaga’s biggest moments which have really come all while you were there?

MF
I would rank it #1. Casey Calvary’s tip-in shot is up there. He didn’t really have any time for that just made the play jumping over a guys back and tipping it in. Meech had time to survey the floor, took his time and really up until the last second really was either going to pass or shoot. So I would have to say those two plays are 1 and 1A with Meech and Casey.

JR
You mentioned Josh Heytfelt earlier and his challenges, how close were you to not bringing him back?

MF
Very close. If you had asked me within 24 hours of it happening I would say things were going to turn out different. Amazingly the president and others were involved and cooler heads prevailed. It was a long proccess, we needed to see some changes, some attitude changes. There were a lot of headstrong players that were not happy that we were bringing him back. Once they had come around that’s when most of the healing had taken place. Once Pargo had forgiven him we were ready to take him back and that took a good 6 months. Josh did a great job earning his respect back with the team and everyone.

JR
Does your best beat North Carolina’s best?

MF
Wow, that is a good question. Well, we played a great game against them in the Garden a couple of years ago. I will say this, if we don’t play our best we don’t win. That is going to take a defensive effort from us that would make them not play THEIR best. When they (UNC) are clicking on all cylinders they are the best team in college basketball.

JR
Thanks Mark, good luck against Carolina.

MF
I hope to be talking to you next week since that will mean we are still in it!

JR
Absolutely – we will definitely call if you are there.

sullyzag66
03-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Maybe not exact quotes, but pretty darn close.

Great recap.

gmo
03-23-2009, 11:55 AM
thanks SullyZag, and thank you for giving me the heads up he was going to be on.

Hopefully some jungle karma to come through for Few and the Zags this weekend. You can tell Rome really likes Mark. He has been on his show quite a bit.

FuManShoes
03-23-2009, 12:07 PM
JR
Does your best beat North Carolinaís best?

MF
Wow, that is a good question. Well, we played a great game against them in the Garden a couple of years ago. I will say this, if we donít play our best we donít win. That is going to take a defensive effort from us that would make them not play THEIR best. When they (UNC) are clicking on all cylinders they are the best team in college basketball.

I dig that answer and truly believe the answer is yes - the Zags best can overcome UNC. Zags have been running great stuff lately and executing to a T -- on offense, anyway. I really believe that will be there against UNC. It's the stops, challenging shots, getting boards and loose balls. That will decide this game.

BobZag
03-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Superb job, gmo.

Reborn
03-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I could tell, from the interview that Mark Few really likes this group of guys. He said they are a fun group, that they have fun together, and enjoys them when they travel (which they do a lot of).I really liked that part of the interview. It should be fun I think.

I also liked the insight he provided about Josh getting busted for the mushroom incident. It was very interesting, and I really appreciated Mark's openness and frankness about it. I always wondered how difficult of a time that was. I remember it all too well, as I'm sure most here do. It was a very dark period in Zag history. A lot of mixed feelings of what should be done. It was the craziest of all times here on this board for me. That's why this year is such a marvelous story for the team. I appreciated Few talking about how difficult it was for the players to forgive Josh. It took, like six months. And Josh had to prove himself, which he has done. Just a good feeling story. And I could tell that Few felt good about how it all turned out, but it was a long process, and Josh had a lot to prove to his team. As he should have, and did. God I hope these guys beat Carolina. It would even make the story better.

CB4
03-23-2009, 05:03 PM
I recently read an article about the players and JH's incident, I found it quite interesting how long it took for the guys to forgive him. Possibly because it was the night before the game, I don't know... It just shows how serious the guys are about winning and maintaining a solid program so ultimately I guess that is was a really good thing the players took a while, it sets the standard.