• ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Manny Arop - Edmonton Journal Story

Great pic and a nice story about Manny from the Edmonton Journal:

Basketballer zigs his way to Zags

Long journey has taken Arop from Sudan to Gonzaga University

By John Mackinnon, The Edmonton JournalMarch 22, 2009

Every basketball fan has a rooting interest in the NCAA men's tournament, but Mangisto Arop has a more compelling reason than most to be pulling for tiny Gonzaga.

The former Ross Sheppard student has committed to attend the Spokane, Wash., school (enrolment 7,000) next year on a full-ride basketball scholarship.

"Yeah, it's exciting. It's good watching them right now, knowing I'm going to be part of the team next year," said Arop, who hunkered down with some friends at a west-end sports bar Saturday night to watch the Bulldogs edge Western Kentucky 83-81 in a thriller of a second-round matchup at the NCAA tournament.

The well-connected [Greg] Francis helped link Arop up with Bulldogs coach Mark Few, in his 10th year at Gonzaga.

"I like their style of play, but so many factors came into play," Arop said of choosing Gonzaga. "The main ones were the history of the school, going to the tournament, having a winning tradition and a great coach and being close to home."

Indeed, the school consistently punches above its weight at the NCAA tournament. The Bulldogs' victory Saturday night pushed its all-time tournament won-lost record to 14-10. And Gonzaga boasts alumni like basketball Hall of Famer John Stockton, the NBA's all-time leader in assists.

Between now and next September, Arop will attend NEDA camps in Hamilton and compete for a spot on the national junior team that will compete for Canada at the junior World Championship in New Zealand, from July 2-12.

Leo Rautins, head coach of Canada's national men's team, clearly is aware of Arop, who became a Canadian citizen last September, as a national team prospect to monitor.

"He's certainly a player that we're going to be watching," said Rautins, whose son Andy, a junior at Syracuse, already is a member of the senior national team. "You never know, I'm never opposed to finding a player that's a little younger that you can accelerate and include with the senior group, if they show they're ready to play.

In the meantime, Arop and other Gonzaga fans have beating those Tar Heels on their minds.
    • Oct 2007

Again, like always, nice find Zagnative. If it weren't for you how would I find my daily Zag news across the net???

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

This 2009 class will be interesting. Very diverse. I think we'll like them a lot.
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Baldwinzag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
        This 2009 class will be interesting. Very diverse.
        Two Sudanese-Canadiens, a Minnesotan, and a German. Indeed, this class appears very diverse.
        “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• NorthoftheBorder
          Kennel Club Material
          • Feb 2007

Don't forget Kelly Olynyk

Don't forget the 6'10 British Columbian who plays point guard

Comment

• theirishzag03
            Kennel Club
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Baldwinzag View Post
            Two Sudanese-Canadiens, a Minnesotan, and a German. Indeed, this class appears very diverse.
            And Kelly-Canadian too

"Life is GRAND....Divorce about 100 Grand!!!"
            "Shin= A device for finding furniture" Woody Paige

Comment

Working...
            X