• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scrooner
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Micah deserves more love

Compare Micah to some of the best-loved Zags in recent years.

Pendo + crazy athleticism = Micah
    Errol Knight + jump shot = Micah

Why doesn't Micah get this kind of love? Is he being subconsciously looked down upon because of his past?
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

cdnt agree more

micah's brilliance has been a post season godsend......he will be missed bigtime...i dont knw why he hasnt been more of a featured player, esp this year....

Comment

• zagsmyboys
      Kennel Club Material
      • Mar 2009

I think Micha is a very skilled player! i look forward to seeing him really shine on Friday. I think our boys are going to do very well. We have always played up to the par of the team we are playing.

Go Zags

Comment

• FuManShoes
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Few things. I think most greatly respect Micah's game and what he's done off the court as a Zag. If he doesn't get showered with praise, it may be because expectations of him were unrealistically high when he transferred. GU's first Burger Boy arrived and didn't put up 20 a game and so perhaps doubts crept in. Then Micah had a spell of streaky shooting that included some ill-advised shots and some injuries. He got benched. Debate began over whether he was being treated fairly. I'm not sure Pendo or Knight ever presented such drama (even if most of it was fan-induced). It may also be that rightly or wrongly, glue guys like Erroll and Pendo were seen as overachievers. Pendo was the blue collar guy who always played out of position and sacrificed offense for the team, only to show he was a deadly perimeter threat when Josh was suspended. Erroll was much like Ira in that he was lauded for his highlight reel dunks and athleticism not really expected to do much else offensively. Any shots he made were considered gravy. That game winner against USD, I think it was, epitomized this. Micah, on the other hand, was always expected to be an offensive threat -- a gunner with hops. Was it fair to expect him to be a stud on Day 1 in a new system after the travails he'd endured? No, but c'est la vie. What's clear is that Micah has peaked and is delivering on his promise. He's as hot as any Zag right now and has admirably filled Pendo's shoes. He seems to embrace his role and love his teammates. The joy he felt for Meech was heartwarming. I think when he sticks to his game- tough boards, perimiter D, threes, baseline cuts and oops, Micah is is at his best. That's a full boat of talent.
        Last edited by FuManShoes; 03-23-2009, 07:53 AM.
        “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• Reborn
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

I don't really get where you see Micha is not getting respected. Wow. Every Zag fan knows that Micah has been a huge piece of the puzzle. In many ways his play has been the main factor that has gotten the Zags back on course. Micah will probably guard Ellington on Friday, and that may be the biggest matchup of this game. Ellington has been on fire lately, and Micah is a very good defender. He won't stop Ellington, but just needs to contain him. And we definitelly need his 3 point shooting ability.
          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• TheZagPhish
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Micah must make prepping to play the Zags an exercise in migraine and heartburn. The talking heads usually affix the "factor" and "x factor" labels to him for good reason. You miss Downs for a second and it's an alley oop, a three or a knifing cut to the basket. He harasses on D and almost never looks lackadaisical.
            Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• GonzagaDynasty
              Banned
              • Dec 2008

Micah has been HUGE in every aspect..... But on Friday, we not only need him to contain Ellington and/or Danny Green, we need him and Steven to knock down some 3 balls... If we can get a few from them, a few from Matt, and 1 or 2 from Pargo and Josh, we win.

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Due to his accomplishments on and off the court and his obvious basketball talents, Micah's play hasn't gone unnoticed by NBA scouts. As a matter of fact, he's actually "flying" up most draft boards, especially the well-respected ones such as NBAdraft.net. Downs was initially listed as an undrafted prospect mid-way through this year, but in the last few weeks he's been on the League's radar as possibly a high 2nd Round pick. I think Micah will turn out to be one of those abover-average college athletes who develop into a better pro-prospect(NBA or Int'l) than college player.

2009 Mock Draft.

# 41. Micah Downs, Gonzaga.
                “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• beatProgram
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2007

Out of all the players we're loosing this year to attrition, Micah Downs is the one I'm going to miss most. If I had to pick one to come back and play with Goodson, Bouldin, Gray, Daye, and Sacre; I wouldn't even have to hesitate or think about it. Micah Downs.

Great athlete, amazing versatility. The only player on the team with more versatility than Downs is Bouldin, but Downs brings length and acumen for getting between the target and the ball to block shots and force turnovers.

I have to agree with Baldwinzag on his post-college potential. He fits the mold too well of what it takes to be a great NBA role-player, and if he can put on a little size, and improve the consistency of his killer instinct he could end up in a solid starting-5 and putting on a show.

Comment

• former1dog
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                    Compare Micah to some of the best-loved Zags in recent years.

Pendo + crazy athleticism = Micah
                    Errol Knight + jump shot = Micah

Why doesn't Micah get this kind of love? Is he being subconsciously looked down upon because of his past?
                    I agree with everything except your premise. Micah has gotten a lot of love on this board this year and deservedly so.

Comment

• SwainZag
                      Kennel Club
                      • Mar 2009

What I have noticed about Downs lately is the physicality he has been playing with. I don't know if you he just realized that he is big enough to get in there and pull down rebounds and scrap for loose balls, but the guy has been laying it all out on the court and has no doubt been a key role. I really think the game on Friday is going to come down to Daye and Downs for the Zags. Overall guard play should level out, if one or both of these guys can get hot and knock down shots and even get a whiff of a double team the Zags win this game.

Comment

• scrooner
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                        I agree with everything except your premise. Micah has gotten a lot of love on this board this year and deservedly so.
                        Not saying he hasn't been appreciated, just that he hasn't been appreciated as much as Pendo & Knight, which seems odd to me considering that he's more talented and lately has been giving just as much effort, if not more. Pendo & Knight were flat out WORSHIPPED around here.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2008

agree with former1dog and FuMan

Micah's heart ticks as loud as any Zag I have seen, and that's saying something. He's just been bust hiney for some time now, a BIG part of what's happening.

Micha is loved here, and I hope (believe) he knows that.

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Comment

• former1dog
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                            Pendo & Knight were flat out WORSHIPPED around here.
                            Pendo bled Zags blue from about the age of 3 years old, so you're not ever going to find a Zag as beloved as him with the possible exception of Ronny Turiaf.

I think Micah gets just as much love as Errol did, though. Hard to quantify.

Comment

• billyberu
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2007

The Zags continued post-season success absolutely depends upon Micah being both an offensive and defensive force. Since regaining his starting position he has been nothing but a consistent threat out on the court. As much as we love the aforementioned Zags, I don't believe their value is as crucial to their team's success as is Micah's. He is a glue guy that produces.

I don't know how much higher praise there is than that. Because in my humble opinion, Micah is more valuable to the team at this point. I would love to see the good Dr's assessment of Micah during the game. He does so many things well that makes it posssible for the other players to score in bunches. I don't have any doubt that kid is capable of dropping 20+ points on a UNC or any other talented and athletic BCS team.
                              There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
                              Surfmonkey89

Comment

Working...
                              X