PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ty Lawson's injured toe

Baldwinzag
03-23-2009, 06:46 AM
There is a new thread on UNC's board concerning Lawson's toe injury he suffered a few weeks ago. They struggled mightily in his absence as they lost the ACC Semifinal to FSU. Apparently, Lawson still has excessive swelling/pain in his toe, but is planning to take pain injections prior to our game on Friday. Also, the thread linked below is quite entertaining and worth reading. I definitely got a chuckle out of it.:D

Mo' on the Toe. (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=4119443&p=1)

TarHeels07
03-23-2009, 06:54 AM
I would be shocked if he gets the injection. He got it just before the Duke game 2 weeks ago, and was able to play, but it seemed the lack of pain threshold put more pressure on it than it could handle, and it swelled up much worse after the game.

He played injection-free on Saturday, and unless he couldn't go, I think he'll do so again on Friday.

Iron Heel 6
03-23-2009, 07:14 AM
'07 is right about the injections. They're trying to do their best to stay natural because numbing it could result in Ty pushing it too far and worsening the injury. Better that he knows what he can and can't do.

Iron Heel 6
03-23-2009, 07:15 AM
On another note, I'm thinking of changing my username to Iron Toe 6 in honor of Ty. ;)

zagsmyboys
03-23-2009, 07:19 AM
I just hope every one is healthy for the game. I dont want it to be another "Patti Mills" story. I know both clubs are going to be at their best. Regardless it is going to be a great game!! I just hope the ref's let them play ball and dont call all those ticky-tac fouls!!

Go Zags!!

krozman
03-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Omg A Growth Is Developing On His Toe. They Call It The Meeeeech Syndrome? What Is That?

chipchildress
03-23-2009, 07:34 AM
There is a new thread on UNC's board concerning Lawson's toe injury he suffered a few weeks ago. They struggled mightily in his absence as they lost the ACC Semifinal to FSU. Apparently, Lawson still has excessive swelling/pain in his toe, but is planning to take pain injections prior to our game on Friday. Also, the thread linked below is quite entertaining and worth reading. I definitely got a chuckle out of it.:D

Mo' on the Toe. (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=4119443&p=1)

where are you getting this about the injections? i have heard nothing of the sort. in fact, i haven't heard much of anything about the toe other than what ty said immediately after the game about it swelling.

Baldwinzag
03-23-2009, 08:22 AM
where are you getting this about the injections? i have heard nothing of the sort. in fact, i haven't heard much of anything about the toe other than what ty said immediately after the game about it swelling.

Considering there are 5 or 6 threads dedicated to Ty's toe on the UNC board, I posted what I had read regarding the injury It was mentioned he was taking injections prior to the Duke game and that he still had significant swelling. I deducted he was still taking injections, but apparentely he's not. I think this is good news and I appreciate the clarification on the current status of his injury. I was merely posting this thread because I found it entertaining to read. Carry on...

former1dog
03-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Regarding Ty Lawson on the court.... I assume he will be guarding Jeremy when both are in the game. How is his post up defense?

TarHeels07
03-23-2009, 08:31 AM
I would say Lawson's post-up defense is undefined. I can't remember him getting posted up all year. He is very strong but also undersized, so if Pargo could establish position on the block he would be able to shoot over him.

Is getting Pargo in the post something you guys do often?

Baldwinzag
03-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Regarding Ty Lawson on the court.... I assume he will be guarding Jeremy when both are in the game. How is his post up defense?

Great point F1dog, this should be an advantage in Pargo's favor. While Ty Lawson is quick and strong, he's definitely a few inches shorter than Pargo. It would be smart to exploit this advantage and maybe even draw a few fouls on Lawson while we're at it. Pargo is crafty and efficient once he's in the paint. He scored countless times vs WKU off the dribble-drive and post-up. I hope we see more of this against UNC.

johnwzag
03-23-2009, 08:36 AM
I hope they are concerned about this young mans future more than winning a game or two. I am not saying this because I am a Zag. I worry about what happens to this guys toe after the tourney is over.

former1dog
03-23-2009, 08:38 AM
I would say Lawson's post-up defense is undefined. I can't remember him getting posted up all year. He is very strong but also undersized, so if Pargo could establish position on the block he would be able to shoot over him.

Is getting Pargo in the post something you guys do often?

We like to post up our guards, especially Bouldin and Pargo as they are actually our best post players, believe it or not. We did this a lot more earlier in the season and have kind of gotten away from it a bit. Although, we did post up both of these guys against WKU and it was a successful tactic for us.

I would assume this is a match up Gonzaga would like to exploit if possible.

former1dog
03-23-2009, 08:40 AM
I hope they are concerned about this young mans future more than winning a game or two. I am not saying this because I am a Zag. I worry about what happens to this guys toe after the tourney is over.

From personal experience with toe injuries, I don't think this is a risk your career type deal, unless there is an issue with infection.

If Lawson can deal with the pain then he can play.

Loop
03-23-2009, 08:48 AM
I don't really see Gonzaga's guards having an easy time posting up on our players. Yeah, they may get position but we usually double team in the post. It's actually something that a lot of our fans complain about since it leaves so many open 3's. If Pargo or Bouldin posted up, they'll probably be met with another defender that is much bigger. It could still work to the Zags advantage if the kick it out and are knocking down the 3.

kitzbuel
03-23-2009, 08:51 AM
I don't really see Gonzaga's guards having an easy time posting up on our players. Yeah, they may get position but we usually double team in the post. It's actually something that a lot of our fans complain about since it leaves so many open 3's. If Pargo or Bouldin posted up, they'll probably be met with another defender that is much bigger. It could still work to the Zags advantage if the kick it out and are knocking down the 3.
Then you run the risk of leaving one of our best 3pt shooters, Heytvelt, open on the perimeter.

ZagLawGrad
03-23-2009, 08:53 AM
Then you run the risk of leaving one of our best 3pt shooters, Heytvelt, open on the perimeter.

Josh would like that, wouldn't he?

former1dog
03-23-2009, 08:53 AM
If Pargo or Bouldin posted up, they'll probably be met with another defender that is much bigger. It could still work to the Zags advantage if the kick it out and are knocking down the 3.

We get a lot of assists off exactly that scenario. Anyhoo, its hard to say how it will play out, but if you all play man to man and Lawson is on Pargo, I would not be surprised in the least to see Pargo post him up and if double team comes, Pargo is one of our best passers.

Alternatively, its going to be a chore for any of our defenders to stay in front of Lawson, he's quick. I'd like to see Meech get a crack at defending him.

Toewon
03-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Hello Zags. Just wanted to weigh about my Hallux. It is doing just fine and I will be ready for Friday night. I will not take another injection, I only did that for dook. I would have cut off my toe to beat dook. In that case my screen name would have been Toeless-won.

As a side note, I have been working with Danny Green on his shooting form. He has had a flat arc, which we have improved greatly and he should be back to his pre-ACC tourney game.

When I have not been icing down the digit, I have been reading up on you boys. I pretty impressed. I really like your coach and if Roy wasn't my boy, I wouldn't mind playing for Coach Few. Y'all would have to do something about all that rain if it is bad a Seattle. Just to let you know, I am not a fan of UDUB.

Good luck guys, see you in Memphis.

Ty