• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FuManShoes
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Withers: Few belongs at Gonzaga

There are so many jagged edges to the Few-to-Oregon scenario. They lead to one inescapable conclusion:

He has a better job.
    There was a time when Few, in taking Gonzaga national, was bigger than the program. He turned down several opportunities. Now the brand is bigger than he is. If he leaves, that doesn't come with him to Oregon.

Kilkenny can give him more money. He can give him a new challenge, if that's what Few decides he needs.

What he can't give him is Gonzaga.
    Last edited by FuManShoes; 03-23-2009, 07:31 AM.
    “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

"We always preach to our guys, if you just stick with it at Gonzaga, it always ends up good here," Few said warmly.
    From a Withers' column 3/10/09
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

Bud is one of the best...

Everyone want to make it to Broadway...but it would be hard to leave with a team like the one that comes back next year....I just hope he does what is best for him and his family...it would be very tempting...

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Imho

His "family" is here, ever since he learned to coach, living with Monson and Billy in a tiny house, he married a Zag, he built this program (with a lot of help) literally from the bottom up. His family, Marcie, the kids, they are all here and enjoying their good fortune, money doesn't mean much to Few, and he makes more than we think. I just believe that he is a Zag, through and through and his family extends through the Ad building and all over Spokane really. I don't see him leaving, GU is every bit his "Alma Mater" as Oregon in a manner of speaking. And they make enough money to have the grandparents from both families around whenever they want, we all know how much that means.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• rennis
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

It would have to come down to money. Few can live out his days in Spokane and probably go down as the most prominent coach ever around here, if not one of the best ever in the NCAAs (in terms of win %) ifthis keeps going. I think the argument that he'd have a better shot at a national title at a Pac 10 school is stupid too. Unless it's UCLA or Zona, I think he's got a better chance at GU.
          Originally posted by Coach Few
          We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2008

Stay Coach. Just stay.
            "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• zagnut52
              Bulldog Fan
              • Dec 2008

I just don't see him leaving Spokane. I just don't. I think he is very very happy here, and thats all I have heard and read.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I'm sure Few and Monson have had numerous conversations over the past ten years, comparing the jobs of coaching a BCS squad vs. the Zags.

If Mark ever decides to leave, it will be as a result of a guaranteed contract totalling 8 digits over 4-5 years.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                  • Feb 2007

Been watching the pressies after the games on ESPN News... Bud is almost always if not the first question, then at least within the first three. The looks Few gives him (typically friendly smirks) are priceless.
                  "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Working...
                  X