PDA

View Full Version : Article: Gonzaga Can Beat North Carolina

caduceus
03-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Steve Kelley, Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/ncaatournament/2008905165_kelley23.html)

It's time for Gonzaga to win a game this big against a program this storied. It's time to step up and be the team it was supposed to be at the beginning of this season. Time to rise and realize its potential.

It's time for Gonzaga to play like the powerhouse it can be and not the Cinderella it used to be.

And there's nothing about the Tar Heels that should scare the Zags. Forget the name and play the game.

Gonzaga is good enough to beat North Carolina. This shouldn't feel like some impossible dream, like some monumental upset possibility.

The Zags should be relaxed. They've won the games everybody expected them to win. They beat the first-round curse that has haunted them the past two seasons.

They took care of Akron the way a fourth seed is supposed to do it. And Demetri Goodson did his best Tyus Edney imitation, sprinting coast-to-coast to escape Western Kentucky on Saturday.

Gonzaga has regained the confidence it lost during a disappointing December, when it was beaten by Arizona, Connecticut, Portland State and Utah. The swagger is back. And the swaggering Zags are dangerous.

=caduceus=

T-bonedazag
03-23-2009, 01:58 AM
Great Article....Im sure the Zags are calm and confident....I belive!

Go Zags!

zagnut52
03-23-2009, 02:42 AM
I agree with every point mentioned. When you believe, anything is possible!!!:D

ZagNative
03-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Wow. Faith in the Zags coming from an unlikely quarter! I don't remember ever reading anything positive about the Zags from Steve Kelly before!

Go Zags!

ZagLawGrad
03-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Couldn't have written it better myself. Let's get it done.

BobZag
03-23-2009, 10:12 AM
"Forget the name and play the game."

Bingo.

Spokanicoug
03-23-2009, 10:51 AM
<<It's time for Gonzaga to play like the powerhouse it can be and not the Cinderella it used to be.

Coach Mark Few has spent the past four years putting together a team that can compete against the best teams in the country. He has size, shooters, passers, rebounders and reserves.>>

Wow! These two statements are a testimony to the growth of the program. GU is indeed LOADED (its a shame Sacre is out).

I watched the first two tourny games in their entirety and only ONCE thought the Zags had a chance to lose either game (when WKy tied it with the tip-in). It was quickly obvious in both games, that the talent level is simply MUCH better @ GU than their opponents.

The time is NOW for the Zags to do something my Cougs couldn't do last year......

BEAT UNC!!!

MJ777
03-23-2009, 11:18 AM
First off; Go ZAGS; Be confident and strong and beat UNC!

Spokanicoug,
Regarding the game between UNC and WSU, in your opinion, did the Cougs have a bad shooting night due to the Tarheel D or were they just missing shots they usually would hit a decent pct? I remember Baynes had a pretty good game, but Low, Weaver and Cowgill had bad shooting games. I don't remember if Harmeling and Rochestie had bad shooting nights also.

That was a really good Coug team. This years team was okay, but 7th place in a weak Pac 10 is obviously dissapointing. I felt bad for Harmeling for his injuries and shooting struggles this season.

Thanks

CDC84
03-23-2009, 11:32 AM
For the record, at draftexpress.com, UNC has more NBA prospects than GU.

2009 mock:

1st round, 14 = Lawson, UNC
1st round, 26 = Hansborough, UNC
1st round, 30 = Ellington, UNC
2nd round, 16 = Green, UNC
2nd round, 17 = Heytvelt, GU
2nd round, 30 = Pargo, GU

2010 mock:

1st round, 10 = Davis, UNC
1st round, 8 = Daye, GU
2nd round, 22 = Thompson, UNC
2nd round, 2 = Bouldin, GU

It should be noted that Micah Downs is at 41 in the 2nd round (2009) at nbadraft.net.

The larger point, though, is that no one should be shocked if Gonzaga were to somehow beat North Carolina. It's not as though Gonzaga is talent deprived going into this game. The Zags have 6 guys who have scored 18 or more points in a game, and 5 guys who have scored 22 or more points in a game.

TokyoZag
03-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Bingo.

The best part about this quote is that it works for the Loyolas and Akrons as well as the UNCs and Dukes.

Zag365
03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Gonzaga over North Carolina?

It's time.

DADoZAG
03-23-2009, 12:03 PM

Bingo.

By game time, expect the “Rematch” between TH and Josh to be the talk of ESPN. I’d also bet that TH has been dreaming about Friday Night in Memphis for two years and is absolutely sick of hearing how Josh schooled him.

This will be fun, this game will be Gonzaga’s greatest March highlight, and TH's worst nightmare.

We will all be talking about One Friday Night in Memphis.

Beat UNC.

CDC84
03-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I am expecting Williams to put Danny Green on Matt Bouldin in this game as opposed to Micah. If that happens, that matchup to me is more intriguing than even Heytvelt and Hansborough. You would be hard pressed to find many players in college basketball who are more versatile than Green and Bouldin.

DADoZAG
03-23-2009, 12:17 PM
I am expecting Williams to put Danny Green on Matt Bouldin in this game as opposed to Micah. If that happens, that matchup to me is more intriguing than even Heytvelt and Hansborough. You would be hard pressed to find many players in college basketball who are more versatile than Green and Bouldin.

I would agree that Green is a key, and am perhaps as worried about that matchup as any.

The Josh versus TH is a selling point that I don't think the networks will pass up, but you're right, there are battles in the war that will make this a game to remember.

Can someone tell me how to get the wife to forget about those tickets to the theater? :(

Spokanicoug
03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
First off; Go ZAGS; Be confident and strong and beat UNC!

Spokanicoug,
Regarding the game between UNC and WSU, in your opinion, did the Cougs have a bad shooting night due to the Tarheel D or were they just missing shots they usually would hit a decent pct? I remember Baynes had a pretty good game, but Low, Weaver and Cowgill had bad shooting games. I don't remember if Harmeling and Rochestie had bad shooting nights also.

That was a really good Coug team. This years team was okay, but 7th place in a weak Pac 10 is obviously dissapointing. I felt bad for Harmeling for his injuries and shooting struggles this season.

Thanks

Usually these things are a combination of some sort. Through my crimson-colored glasses, I saw a TON open looks going clank-clank-clank throughout the game. Many 3 pointers missed that can are huge point swings. Now: how hard did the WSU offense have to work to get those open looks? I think that's the real question.

Obviously, UNC a deeper collection of more skilled players, but WSU got the most out of their guys as a TEAM. That being said, Hansborough was a non-factor the first half and huge the second half. Regardless, last year's UNC team beats last year's WSU team 7 out of 10 times IMO.

HOOTER
03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
I never get tired of watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InqJS6ONXPE