PDA

View Full Version : 20 seconds left on shot clock, before end of half or game

ZagsGoZags
03-22-2009, 10:04 PM
and we want to get the last shot.

WHY DO I DREAD THIS?

It seems like Few used to run set plays. I would love to see the stats on this for the last three years. Pargo or Matt (lately) will start the play with 9 seconds on the clock, and pretty much telegraph they are going in hell or high water, into two or three defenders, and take the shot.

Yes, I know, recently there has been the occassional pass. I wonder if we would be better to just run our usual offense with 15 seconds left, if we are not going to run a set play.... better than what we do.

I am not an expert, I am probably not understanding something here, but I do know my guts get tight when we are in this situation, and it seems like we seldom get a good shot. We did get one recently when Matt bounce passed to Gray cutting for the bucket.

Am I alone on this?

DoMieD
03-22-2009, 10:31 PM
I'd rather Matt or Pargo drive than Pargo pull up a 35 footer..

but running a play would be a good idea, especially since we do NOT convert on so many last possession opportunities..

MJ777
03-22-2009, 11:39 PM
I'd rather Matt or Pargo drive than Pargo pull up a 35 footer..

but running a play would be a good idea, especially since we do NOT convert on so many last possession opportunities..

Right; either drive and shoot or dish or run the regular offense for 1-15 seconds until a decent shot develops.

Pargo scored at the half against Akron, and that is the only time I remember the Zags scoring in a situation like that in the past few years. If I am mistaken, please correct me.

Zagpower
03-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Ball needs to be in Matt's hands in those situations.

krozman
03-23-2009, 07:23 AM
Ideally it's Matt driving and either putting it up or dishing to Josh in the post. Pargo tends to just instantly take a jump shot, and while he's been pretty awesome last two games, it's not the shot you want at the end.

CDC84
03-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Bouldin to the basket for a score or kick out. This strategy worked well in Portland this weekend.

GonzagaDynasty
03-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Right; either drive and shoot or dish or run the regular offense for 1-15 seconds until a decent shot develops.

Pargo scored at the half against Akron, and that is the only time I remember the Zags scoring in a situation like that in the past few years. If I am mistaken, please correct me.

You are right on there. After that score by Pargo against Akron, I thought about the last time we had that... I'm thinking Morrison

ZagsGoZags
03-23-2009, 11:13 AM
No, I think Pargo did make one or two last year in the 2007-2008 season. What I don't understand is why the coaching staff couldn't plan a play that created a pick or some other opportunity for an open shot.

Maybe the problem is that once you run it the other teams can learn to defend it.

CDC84
03-23-2009, 12:51 PM
I wish they would call a timeout in those situations. Work the clock down to around 18 seconds, call a TO, and set up a play. Few is a master at setting up plays during a TO. It's not as if Few burns thru his timeouts like Ben Howland or something.

Nevtelen
03-23-2009, 12:56 PM
No, I think Pargo did make one or two last year in the 2007-2008 season. What I don't understand is why the coaching staff couldn't plan a play that created a pick or some other opportunity for an open shot.

Maybe the problem is that once you run it the other teams can learn to defend it.

A few (just about the only ones I remember the team making) in the last couple of years were dishes to Pendo for 3. Remember the UConn game in Boston right before the half? That huge Pendo 3? There were a couple other occasions of that or something similar IIRC. Maybe because people didn't think Pendo was a big scoring threat? Unless Bouldin is wide open, he'll be too closely covered to dish to (obviously unless he already has the ball in his hands). Perhaps a pick and pop to Heytvelt? That's always a tough play to cover.

Agreed, though, a designed play by Few and Co would be great this far on. So what if the other team learns to defend it next time - there wont be too many next times unless the team wins.

UberZagFan
03-23-2009, 01:40 PM
I wish they would call a timeout in those situations. Work the clock down to around 18 seconds, call a TO, and set up a play. Few is a master at setting up plays during a TO. It's not as if Few burns thru his timeouts like Ben Howland or something.

Even when they do call a TO though, they come right back out and waste 8-9 seconds until the clock reads 7 left and then they go into a panic funk that does not resemble a set play usually ends up in a poor rushed shot.

Uber agrees with CDC in that they need to run a play. There was a great play GU ran after a TO in the WKU game where JH came up with a dunk on a pic or roll type play. Run that play.

A few other points: when all is needed is 2, they should be shooting closer to the hoop even if contested (that is, a contested 6 footer is better than a wide open 3) and should be instructed to go off glass and to leave 2-3 seconds for put backs. Closer shots that go off glass are easier to rebound near the hoop and easier to time for tip-in put backs.

Long threes are only rebounded by teams like UConn who then pass to their PG for an off balanced shot to put the game into OT (yes, Uber will get over that game at some point).