PDA

View Full Version : Carolina fan here

chipchildress
03-22-2009, 08:54 PM
and I respect the hell out of you guys. Those Carolina fans you see ripping your team obviously don't know what they're talking about. Your Sagarin and Pomeroy ratings should be enough proof that the Bulldogs can play.

In any case, I look forward to the upcoming week, discussing the game and sharing thoughts. Please understand that there are Carolina "fans" all over the place that drive many of us as crazy as they drive you. As I sat in the stands for UNC's last game against LSU, I heard the big Tar Heel fan behind me talk about how worthless Hansbrough is. In any case, if they don't like Hansbrough, no telling what they might think about Gonzaga.

MedZag
03-22-2009, 09:12 PM
When any team has enough success and its' fanbase becomes big enough, you tend to accumulate your fair share of knuckleheads in the process. Gonzaga has their fair share as well, which I have seen in such dredgs of the internet as the ESPN boards and such, though there is a pleasant absence of such personalities around here. UNC's fanbase is significantly larger than ours, so it is only logical that the knuckleheads are more abundant and more boisterous.

No offense taken. You guys can talk the talk because you're walked the walk, year after year. And Roy Williams ranks up there in my top 5 for favorite coaches in CBB.

That being said, I just don't understand anyone out there who is saying this game is going to be a blowout in either direction. These two teams play a near identical style of ball, and have near identical personnel uniquely tailored to that style of play. The stats are a near wash. The few places we differ we each have unique strengths to counter the other.

KenPom has this as a 83-82 win for UNC with only a 56% predicted win for the Tar Heels. That's about as close as they come from the number-crunchers.

I think this might come down as one of the premiere games of the tournament.

willandi
03-22-2009, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the Zag nation. We hope that you will be asepectful, win or lose, asre our fans in Memphis, Akron, W Kentucky etc.
We are always open to an honest discussion, both ways, and a minimal talk of smack. Good luck on friday, and congratulations on the way your season ended then.

Saxon_zag
03-22-2009, 09:19 PM
glad to know not all of the unc fans are like the majority from that of the scout board.. welcome to the board, can't wait until friday

ZagsGoZags
03-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Welcome aboard Tar Heels
This is almost always a classy board, and our fans on here are almost always classy
I would imagine Hansborough (sp?) has been waiting for this opportunity to meet Josh again
I know that nobody here is taking the NC game lightly, we have tremendous respect for your coach, and program
We are the underdogs, you have beat more excellent teams than we have this year, and deserve your seed and ranking
May the better team win on Friday

UberZagFan
03-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Oh great, now there's respectful UNC fans too?

outrunu
03-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Oh great, now there's respectful UNC fans too?

And they beat the trolls here.

skan72
03-22-2009, 09:53 PM
And they beat the trolls here.

Zing!

CDC84
03-22-2009, 10:12 PM
One of Coach Few's best buddies within the coaching profession is Roy Williams. Few looks up to him a lot, and a lot of the stuff GU does - not all of it of course - is taken from the Carolina system. When you hear coaches and analysts talk about both programs, there is always a discussion about how to negate their respective transition games....both after makes and misses. There are very few programs in the modern game that are more associated with transition basketball than North Carolina and Gonzaga. There is a lot of similiarity in what they try to do, which is why so many people are expecting an entertaining game on Friday night.

23dpg
03-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Is anyone having much luck with getting on the Inside Carolina Scout board. I get the front page and can sign in, but the basketball forum won't open for me.