• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYCZAG
    Kennel Club Material
    • Oct 2008

Found this on the UCONN board of all places-Interesting-

The old saying has always been that the only way to beat Roy's running Heels is to "slow the game down" and "try to ugly it up".

The results do not bear this out.

In the last three years, North Carolina has lost 14 times. The mean score for the winner is 85.9 ppg. The median score for the winner is 84.5 ppg. That means that half of all the teams that have beaten UNC in the last three years have scored 85 points or better.

Here are the results of the winning teams:

73, 81, 82, 82, 82, 83, 84, 84, 85, 88, 89, 92, 94, 96

Out of fourteen teams that beat UNC, thirteen (93%) scored at least 81 points to do it. In fact the only true outlier was the last game, in which Florida State scored 73 in a win. The top margin is 96 scored by Wake Forest.

All of these losses came as teams that were awarded #1 seeds, so they were not bad teams at all.

What does this mean? It doesn't mean UNC isn't good; the record obviously does not bear that out. What it does mean is that if you want to beat North Carolina, you're going to have to go against "conventional wisdom" and instead of slowing the game down, run with them and attack like crazy, exactly like KU did last year.

My explanation for this? I think when North Carolina plays fast they get lulled into not playing defense and just try to outscore you, because that's what they are used to. When they are forced to play slow, they are forced to play defense, and their obvious athleticism and offensive talent advantage eventually wins out over the course of forty minutes. Think of last year, when UNC pounded a good but painfully slow Washington State team 65-45, or how badly Roy owns Izzo since he's been at North Carolina.

It was something I suspected and a quick look at the results bear it out. I think if UNC loses during the Tournament, it will come once again with a team that runs with them. If UNC loses early, I think it may be to Gonzaga.

I think...

he makes a very good point......a shootout would be fun and we have the kids that can score the points..

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

I'm pretty sure the game will be played in the 80"s. Both teams can score 80 points when the pace is right. And both teams did score 80+ in their last game, UNC had 34 and Zags 33.
      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• gamagin
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Thanks, enjoyed the

analysis and the thoughts behind it.

I think we can beat anyone as long as we play our game better than the other team plays theirs. And if your stats hold, we really should stick to our game vs. the heels.

Go TEAM Zags !
        Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
        Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
        Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• UberZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Uber thinks that GU should try scoring in the three figures and at least one more point than UNC.
          If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• beatProgram
            Kennel Club Material
            • Feb 2007

I agree. You have to keep the tempo of the game fast, keep the offense moving (they get picked apart by a well executed flex, have for years).

I think the win over them a couple years ago bears this out. It was a high-flying free-wheeling game, and they got completely dominated. They took bad shots in transition allowing for lots of blocks, etc.

Keep em running, stay out of the half-court sets, and watch their NBA hopefuls blow the game as they spend all night trying to get on SportCenter.

Comment

• dawgfather11
              Banned
              • Feb 2007

if the zags can show up on D they can win because UNC can't and or doesn't show up on D. Game should easily hit the high 80's

Comment

• chipchildress
                Redshirt
                • Mar 2009

poor carolina jump shooting is the best way for carolina to lose. watch ellington and green and you'll get an idea how things will go.

Comment

• MJ777
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2009

If GU played UNC 7 times, UNC would probably win 5 of those games, but this is the NCAA Tourney and it is 1 and done. So as they like to say in the south, get er done Zags! No pressure because nearly no one will be picking you in this game!

Play smart, play hard, have fun!!

Comment

• Nevtelen
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

It'll be an interesting game for sure. I think GU will make a good showing, whatever happens. The Zags are 9-3 (maybe 10-3?) vs the ACC (including, obviously the NIT win) for a reason - we tend to match-up with ACC teams' styles well.

OTOH, you can say all you want about every team in the tourney being good, etc, the team played some of the worst D of the year in terms of giving up high shooting % this weekend. If that trend continues vs UNC, GU will get thumped.

Comment

• SWZag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Good fine NYC and very interesting. If GU can put up the points and our D can play like it did in the WCC tourney, I really like our chances. Our D is much improved over previous years and if there is any time to showcase it, it will be against a tough UNC team. I like hearing UNC fans say their Defense leaves much to be desired. After playing Akron and WKU, I'd like an open lane to the hoop now and then!

Can't wait.

SWZag

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• DoMieD
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2009

Very interesting.. something I did not realize.

Comment

• Thomas_Sutpen
                          Kennel Club
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TarHeels07
                          vs. BC - shot 38 percent
                          @ Wake - shot 35 percent (despite scoring 89)
                          @ Maryland - shot 38 percent
                          vs. FSU - shot 37 percent
                          Hey Heels07--thanks for your input on this board. I've got a question for you about those games. Do you think the defense had anything to do with it--were you not getting open looks or getting taken out of sync or something by the D, or were the open shots just not falling in those games?

Comment

• Zagheel
                            Redshirt
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TarHeels07
                            Our D has been much-maligned, and I wouldn't say it's completely inaccurate, but in our losses the lack of offense has gone under the radar and it shouldn't.

vs. BC - shot 38 percent
                            @ Wake - shot 35 percent (despite scoring 89)
                            @ Maryland - shot 38 percent
                            vs. FSU - shot 37 percent

On a defensive note, the flex of Maryland and BC has given us problems the past few years. I have heard you guys run it as well, though I'm not sure how much your version is like the aforementioned teams.

Welcome, TH07! I spent three of the best years of my life in Chapel Hill and I hold a degree from UNC. So please accept my welcome to this board and thanks for the info! I believe that your thoughts are dead on. If we (GU) are going to beat Carolina, we will need to return to our season average of holding opponents around 38% shooting. Carolina can still score a lot of points shooting that percentage, especially with TH's ever-so-frequent visits to the charity stripe.

Comment

• webspinnre
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by UberZagFan View Post
                              Uber thinks that GU should try scoring [snip] at least one more point than UNC.
                              I'm with this.
                              I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

Working...
                              X