PDA

View Full Version : all-time record against the ACC?

gmo
03-22-2009, 09:26 AM
can someone please remind me? I know it is solid but I cannot remember it exactly and I would love it this week to fend off all my "UNC is going to destroy Gonzaga" co-workers!

so excited and I am really glad we are playing the #1 seed. I want this run to be just that much more special without anyone at all being able to say - you guys got lucky and didn't have to play anyone. Beat the best to be the best.

Reborn
03-22-2009, 09:41 AM
If you had a game in the Sweet 16 that you wanted to feel some hope, it would be against the ACC. Gonzaga has had most success against this conference. We did lose to Duke a couple years ago in Madison Square Garden. We did beat UNC a couple years ago too. I think it's going to be a great game.

TacomaZAG
03-22-2009, 09:43 AM
but I think it's on the order of 8-3, not too shabby. I like our chances against anyone in a one game season.

Go ZAGS

Radbooks
03-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Well, we beat Maryland this year and Maryland beat UNC. So, obviously we should be able to beat the Tarheels! :)

ZagNative
03-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Wins:

3/16/2001 Virginia
12/17/2002 NC St.
12/6/2003 Maryland
12/18/2004 Georgia Tech.
11/21/2005 Maryland
12/17/2005 Virginia
11/22/2006 North Carolina
11/24/2007 Virg. Tech.
11/28/2008 Maryland

Losses:
12/21/2006 Duke
1/3/2007 Virginia

heavyzag
03-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Classic Gonzaga - Bulldogs Stand On Top Of The World
1998 Bulldogs stun No. 5 Clemson to win tournament

Printer-Friendly Format

E-mail this article

Axel Dench earned All-Tournament honors as the Bulldogs won the 1997 Top of the World Classic.

Men's Basketball Home

HEADLINES
Goodson Sends Zags to Sweet Sixteen in Thriller
Bulldogs Look To Advance To Sweet Sixteen Against Hilltoppers

Zags Charge Into Second Round With Win Over Akron; Face WKU

RELATED LINKS
Follow all of the college basketball action at CollegeSports.com

Email this to a friend

April 20, 2005

Classic Gonzaga is a new feature on GoZags.com which looks back at some of the highlights in Gonzaga Athletic History. Every couple of weeks a new Classic Gonzaga piece will be placed on the GoZags.com site. Click here for archived Classic Gonzaga.

About as far north as you can play a college basketball game in the United States, the 1997-98 Gonzaga Bulldogs made sure people remembered their names as they stunned No. 5 Clemson University to win the Top of the World Classic in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Gonzaga opened tournament play with a defensive clinic against Tulsa University as the Bulldogs limited the Golden Hurricanes to just 10 first-half points en route to a 78-40 victory. Gonzaga held Tulsa to just 19 percent shooting in the first half as they jumped out to a 34-10 halftime lead. Richie Frahm knocked down 24 points shooting 5-for-8 from 3-point range.

A battle of the Bulldogs followed in the second round as Gonzaga matched-up against Mississippi State University and future NBA draft pick, center Tyrone Washington. Washington was limited to 11 points while pulling down 14 rebounds, but Gonzaga's balanced scoring attack proved to be the difference in a 70-68 win. Four Gonzaga players scored in double-figures led by Matt Santangelo's 15. Axel Dench and Mike Leasure finished with 13 while Bakari Hendrix added 10.

Led by future Denver Nuggets star Greg Buckner, Clemson entered the Top of the World Classic ranked No. 5 in the nation with tournament wins over Iona College and Southwest Missouri State University. The Bulldogs did not blink as they faced one of the best from the Atlantic Coast Conference, Gonzaga leading wire-to-wire to pick up their first win over a Top 10 team. Santangelo scored 19 points shooting 5-of-7 from 3-point range while Quentin Hall came off the bench to score 18 points. Buckner was deadly scoring 19 points for Clemson but it was not enough as Gonzaga won 84-71 to open the season at 4-0.

Santangelo was named the MVP of the Top of the World Classic while Frahm and Dench were both named to the All-Tournament team. Gonzaga would go on to finish the 1998 season 24-10 losing at the University of Hawaii in the second round of the NIT. The Bulldogs won the West Coast Conference regular-season title with a 10-4 record but lost in the WCC Tournament Championship game.

heavyzag
03-22-2009, 01:08 PM
that would make them 10-2 all time against the ACC

kyle dixon
03-22-2009, 01:42 PM
We lost to Maryland in 1995 in the first round of the NCAAs. Our first trip to the tourney.

gmo
03-22-2009, 02:17 PM
10-3 is extremely good, especially considering I would assume all of those are either neutral site or road games.

Hopefully our friends in Memphis can make it feel like Spokane, East! Sure sounds like we will have some supporters not wearing GU gear in the building which would be huge.

Thanks everyone.