• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TacomaZAG
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Portland musings..........

Got back to Tacoma late last night after an incredible weekend in Portland with my Dad. A few thoughts:

1. The Rose Garden is a fantastic sports venue. We were on the 200 level and the sight lines were great. Outside in the hallways there were flat panel TV's everywhere with every game on. This was my first visit to the Rose Garden and compared to it, Key Arena is a dump. What the wonders of Microsoft $$ can do........

2. The ZAG faithful travel very well. The place was packed with Zags and Huskies, with the state schools rooting for each other in the off games. We talked to a number of Husky fans around us who wanted to know if we rooted for them during the season. I told them "yes, unless you are playing us or the Cougs". They assured me they rooted for us as well, unless we were playing them.

3. Favorite Husky shirt. I saw a guy on Thursday night wearing a T-shirt with an outline of a face above the following caption: "Ted Bundy was a Husky". Classic.................

4. Few to Oregon discussion. I was asked by a number of people (UO, Cal, other fans) about the possibility of Few going to Oregon. He is obviously in demand and highly respected in the Pac-10, made me glad we have him. I refrained from telling the UO person that Few going to Eugene would be a step down from his current position, but I almost couldn't help myself. All agreed that the Few to AZ discussion is without merit, and without the Kilkenny connection at OU that it wouldn't be serious either.

5. Zag great sighting. Riding the MAXX back to my brother's on Thursday I noticed someone on the train who looked familiar to me. I discounted it since I thought I remembered him being a little taller. I asked my Dad if it was him and he responded in the affirmative. So, I went up and asked him, "Are you Matt Santangelo???? Lucky me, it was. We chatted briefly, what a great guy. The icing on that cake was after the game Saturday night we were walking to the MAXX stop for the ride home when I ran into Matt again. He was pumped about the win and said, "can you believe we get Meech for 3 more years"???? Once a Zag, always a Zag, what a class act. Thanks, Matt for being such a great Zag.

It was an unforgettable weekend. Can't wait until UNC on Friday. I like our chances.

Go ZAGS
  • 75Zag
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

GU in Portland

GU fans did a great job of supporting the team. Thanks to all who traveled to Portland to show the colors and to Portland metro residents who came out to cheer on the Bulldogs. I talked to a lot of Portland locals during the tournament and nobody could believe the number of GU supporters - in full gear - spread all over downtown, in bars, hotels, restaurants, department stores, etc.

Oregon had to close down its profitable "Sports Action" lottery games in order to attract the NCAA tournament back to Portland. Prior to the tournament there was a lot of whining in the media that the loss of the lottery money was not worth it for four days of basketball. But after the fantastic games played here, all the media outlets are falling over themselves to gush about how great everything was. The Oregonian is calling for Portland to host a NCAA Regional in 2012. That would be great, and it would be even greater if the Bulldogs were playing in it.

Good Job Fans! Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

Working...
    X