PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love the Memphis peeps ...

NJZag
03-22-2009, 07:31 AM
The locals seem to want to give the Zags a home court advantage out there. :D The "series" has its upsides.

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=356849

JMSTiger Wrote:
Of the 18,500 tickets sold, how many will be used by local people that would root on Gonzaga? Can't be that many.

tigers1985 Wrote:
Maybe 4000. But that's 4000 more than they could expect most places.

kitzbuel
03-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Are you going, NJ?

ha8ut
03-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Cant wait till you guys get here and thump the pompous ones from the east.I offer a truce I will show up with plenty of buds to pull for the mighty Zags as long as you never bring another one of those Morisson kids back to play my TIGERS.God bless-be safe my non bcs brothers.

NJZag
03-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Are you going, NJ?

Giving it some serious thought. I found reasonable airfares weeks ago but decided it would be a bigtime "jinx" to buy so far ahead. Convinced myself that personal hubris would anger "the hoops gods" and might end up with the Zags not getting out of Portland at all!!!

What about you? Shorter drive from VA to TN than it is from NJ. ( :D Intentional laying on of "guilt trip" ... :D )

LynetteG
03-22-2009, 10:27 AM
we should all read that board, wow! what awesome, classy fan those Tigers are! Like I mentioned in another thread, I have Memphis and GU slated for the NC game!!!!!!!! GO ZAGS and GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!

rawkmandale
03-22-2009, 10:31 AM
I knew we would get huge support from the Memphis folks, and I suspect from the Tennessee supporters, as well. Both will have bought tickets for this regional location a year ago. Missouri and Western Kentucky fans may have, also, given the geography. I just can't imagine there are a lot of ACC fans in that part of the country.

JeffyJeff
03-22-2009, 11:06 AM
That thread on the Memphis board was a fun read - great to see that our growing "rivalry" with the Tigers is filled with a ton of mutual respect. It might pay dividends for us this year to have the Tennessee connection in place... particularly if it gives us a decidedly pro-Zags crowd so far away from Spokane. Love those Memphis fans!

johnwzag
03-22-2009, 11:07 AM
I love Memphis's coach, love their players. It would be nice to beat them one time though. :lmao: Having said that. They play good basketball. No cheap stuff, just pure talent and hard work.

kitzbuel
03-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Giving it some serious thought. I found reasonable airfares weeks ago but decided it would be a bigtime "jinx" to buy so far ahead. Convinced myself that personal hubris would anger "the hoops gods" and might end up with the Zags not getting out of Portland at all!!!

What about you? Shorter drive from VA to TN than it is from NJ. ( :D Intentional laying on of "guilt trip" ... :D )

Considering the possibility of flying to Nashville, renting a car and driving over from there. I would have to comeback Sat since I have work travel the next week. Flights are about $255 out of Baltimore.

rawkmandale
03-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Here is to our Memphis homies for giving us a warm welcome on Friday night.

GonzagaDynasty
03-22-2009, 05:03 PM
You do gotta love the Memphis peeps.

I've never met nicer fans. Everytime I've talked to them during teh GU-Memphis games they have been extremely respectful. ANd now, they have our backs, just like we would have theres.....

America has counted out the Zags, but the Zags might have something to say about that!

beatProgram
03-22-2009, 05:23 PM
I absolutely love the program over at Memphis. I put them up there on my list of favorites one below Gonzaga (my freshman year was the '99 E8 run), and one above Winthrop (much as I love what that program is trying to build).

Memphis is a team that takes raw athletic ability, molds it into crisp execution, and plays hard for a solid 40 minutes (or more if the situation calls).

There's one program in the country I feel like GU could learn something from, and that's Memphis, and because of that I'm exceptionally glad we have our "rivalry." The ass-kicking that Memphis handed GU this year alone was the wake-up call that got the team working harder, playing better together, and broke them out of their rut of trying to rely entirely on individual talent during clutch possessions.

More important than that, it seemed to spark the greatest growth in Few's coaching I've seen since he's been the head coach. In years past he'd stick with his senior/star come hell or high water, and we've watched it sink us in key games. Tourney appearances (Wyoming, Nevada, etc.) and marquee out-of-conference match-ups (UConn, Illinois, Virginia, etc.) Now... well now we see guys like Goodson get in the game to play more than junk minutes, or as a 2-minute scolding for an elder player in a big game. Few is willing to look at the team and play the guys who are getting it done, rather than the ones that have paid their dues. That's a big, big step for a coach (one that I think is going to cement the Gonzaga program as a national power in perpetuity), and I think our experiences with Memphis played a very large role in that.

Anyway, if any of you Memphis fans are reading our little board. Thanks. Go Tigers!

outrunu
03-22-2009, 05:44 PM
I would just like to post this to give our Memphis brethren a little more motivation.....from page 2 of the above link:
" * carolax
* All-ACC
* 678 posts this site

Posted: Yesterday 11:32 PM
Re: WE GET THE ZAGS, FOLKS - DISCUSS
Should be a treat for Memphis residents to watch the Tar Heels, a classy basketball program from a real university.

----memlarry wrote: ---------------

You've two problems playing the Zags in Memphis. You're Carolina is one and the Memphians love the Zags. They're like our step brothers. This will feel like a road game for you guys.
"

Dogtownkid
03-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Really classy posts on the Memphis board!

Tigers2640
03-22-2009, 06:50 PM
Our two boards need some type of pen-pal campaign. On a note for anyone coming to the Forum for the games, please disregard any attitude from arena staff. Some days they expect us to staple our ticket stub to our forehead.

Go Gonzaga!

CB4
03-22-2009, 07:32 PM
For a home crowd environment in the Sweet Sixteen, four losses in four years against our Tiger brothers is definitely worth it. Even if the tables were turned and we were 4-0 against Memphis, I'm sure those classy fans down south would still give us the advantage. That being said, we are playing the Yankees of college basketball so who wouldn't cheer for the Zags.

TarHeels07
03-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Is there any reason for this Gonzaga-Memphis relationship? Two teams that outgrew "mid-major" status?

MedZag
03-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Is there any reason for this Gonzaga-Memphis relationship? Two teams that outgrew "mid-major" status?

Couple reasons. We've had the series with them for several years and its produced some real thrillers and some top notch play (minus this year's stinker). I think fans from both sides have the series listed as one of their favorite games every year.

I also think Memphis fans have a little more inclination to root for us because they are 4-0 in the series to far. Easier to root for an opponent that you respect if you've had their number and don't have the poor taste in your mouth from any losses.

Both fan bases share a kindred spirit for being "major" programs trying to succeed each year in a mid-major conference, and the familiar feeling of chafing under the talking head's belittlement of each program's successes because of the conference they reside in.

There's also been some absolutely great back and forth and intelligent basketball analysis from fans on both sides on each team's message boards. No real smack talk, but great talking chalk. We tend to root for any team whose fans come on here and engage us in great discussion, and there has been a pleasant absence of smack talk from either side throughout our years of play.

outrunu
03-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Couple reasons. We've had the series with them for several years and its produced some real thrillers and some top notch play (minus this year's stinker). I think fans from both sides have the series listed as one of their favorite games every year.

I also think Memphis fans have a little more inclination to root for us because they are 4-0 in the series to far. Easier to root for an opponent that you respect if you've had their number and don't have the poor taste in your mouth from any losses.

Both fan bases share a kindred spirit for being "major" programs trying to succeed each year in a mid-major conference, and the familiar feeling of chafing under the talking head's belittlement of each program's successes because of the conference they reside in.

There's also been some absolutely great back and forth and intelligent basketball analysis from fans on both sides on each team's message boards. No real smack talk, but great talking chalk. We tend to root for any team whose fans come on here and engage us in great discussion, and there has been a pleasant absence of smack talk from either side throughout our years of play.

Well said Med!

TarHeels07
03-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Got it.

OldManTiger
03-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Well said Med!

Hi Zag fans and thanks for the kind words for our program. As a many-year Tiger fan, I can only express my respect for your program: good kids, good coach, good fans. Our teams have battled well and left all ill-feelings behind. If any of you are coming to Memphis, please send me a message or feel free to start a thread for places to go and see in Memphis. To begin links to three sites are attached for your entertainment/information.

The first is to the local chamber of commerce site: http://www.memphischamber.com/default.asp?contentType=static&browsePath=VisitingMemphis

The second is a local weather link (it should be relatively nice here for you): http://www.wrecradio.com/cc-common/hal/weather/

and the third is a link we only share with friends; our player introduction video for home games: http://www.runningpony.com/uofmintro/

We are proud of our relationship with Gonzaga and look forward to many more years regardless who wins (though you really know how I feel about that).

Anyone with questions about my city? I will try to answer every one because we want to have the best feelings possible for our National Championship battle. Let's show the rest of basketball how the Zags and Tigers do it right.

anothertigerfan
03-22-2009, 09:37 PM
you guys are great! i hope the zags rip unc a new one on friday! yes the tarheels is a great team but i believe a major upset is in order and it starts with the zags defeat over unc! can't wait! i also always look forward to the zags/tigers matchups every year. it has become a great series and i hope it continues for years to come. you guys have shown our team and our fans the greatest respect and i certainly hope we have shown you guys the same which is why i think our two programs have worked so well together. both our conferences get overlooked and tossed aside so we have to prove each and every year that our teams belong among the elite programs. great talent, great coaches, and fun to watch. anyway, hope some of you can make it to memphis and enjoy the good southern food and entertainment. i recommend the rendezvous for the best ribs in the country and of course you have to visit beale st. i won't be going to the game on friday but hopefully cbs will show it locally and i will be rooting for the zags!!

Thanks guys,
Go Zags!
Go Tigers!

MedZag
03-22-2009, 09:41 PM
You Tigers make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Stop it!

theirishzag03
03-22-2009, 11:01 PM
So, here we are in the Sweet Sixteen. Right where we want to be! Just watched Hubert and Digger dis us again and give us NO shot. Digger quickly dismissed Reece Davis when he mentioned Josh had had a big game vs. UNC already. He said that was ("a year ago")

I love it. Zags back to being the UnderDog. Us against the world attitude here we come! I am just glad UNC beat LSU, otherwise as march to the FF may be classified as "Tainted":D

DrDrivel
03-23-2009, 03:36 AM
I offer a truce I will show up with plenty of bud
That's Southern hospitality right there. Look, that's awesome and I love where your head's at, but with this level of subtlety, I feel like you're going to have an ominous knock at your door pretty soon.

Just sayin', watch out. Big Brother's always watching...

gotigergo
03-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Hey y'all! I'm from the Memphis board too. I live about 100 miles east of Memphis. Graduated from Memphis several years ago. Gonzaga is my family's second favorite team. We are going to try our best to get down to the Zags game Thursday night to root for y'all.

Downtown Memphis is a great place to take in a game. We go to several a year. Just got back from the conference tournament. Like the others have said, any questions about Memphis please ask. (If you come to our board, I go by sullygirl over there)

~ lisa