PDA

View Full Version : tobizag's p-town adventure

tobizag
03-22-2009, 12:15 AM
two friends hopped into a civic and headed south on I-5, jock jams blasting on the ipod to get pumped for the game...no tickets yet, but we were sure we'd get in.

the scene at the rose garden was not what we expected. the so called "buyer's market" for tickets had been replaced by a lack of supply and prices exceeding $250 per. we somehow managed to score a single, from a dad who had to leave on kid home sick, for a reasonable price. as the ticket supply wound way down, we finally caved and bought another single from a scalper for what could be considered a ridiculous price.

who cares. we were in. walking around it was clear that the huskies were representing! purple everywhere. place was rockin. we managed to find two seats next to each other in a sea of huskies, and watched as the dawgs lost a heartbreaker to the boilermakers.

following the game, we headed downstairs. upon reaching the exit, we asked a group of four husky fans whether they were leaving for the day. they said they were. we asked if they would mind giving us their ticket stubs so that we could have two seats together. "of course" they said. "in fact, here's four in case you find some friends."

we were set!! at this point, with about 30 mins to tip, we were stoked. seats together, zags going to roll...couldn't be better.

as the kind group of huskies left, the older gentleman turned to us and said "oh, and by the way. those are great seats...club level..."

we made our way to the club level, entry B10, section 214, to discover what in our minds were the finest seats in the house. 20 rows up, 2nd row of the 2nd level, across from the wku bench. the view was remarkable. we absolutely scored. the husky fans around us were all very supportive of the zags, and were clearly excited to watch our team. we told them that we were pulling for the dawgs, and we thought the refs were less than accurate on several crucial calls. then, the game started.

you all know how the game went. up and down, shot after shot, amazing plays. what a joy to watch. when mendez-valdez hit that turnaround three to bring them within two, my heart sank. i thought i was going to puke. my buddy assured me "this team is too tough to not win. not this year." i believed him...until that silly tip in!!! mercy, mercy, mercy. everything went their way! dmetri gets the ball in the backcourt, slices through the confused D, hesitation, hard drive...a runner (blake stepp vs arizona anyone?) and then.....

bucket. game. i didn't know who to hug. i didn't know who not to hug. i remember jumping up and down screaming for a good 10 minutes. i cried. yes, i cried.

we ran down to the court while matt, pargo, and meech were getting interviewed. while matt was answering questions, i hollered "DMETRI!!" he tunred. "YOU'RE MY HERO!!"" he laughed. we pointed at each other and he clapped. after his interview, he jogged down the tunnel lined with zag fans as we chanted "GO, GONZAGA, G-O-N-Z-A-G-A!!!"

gas for trip from seattle to portland: $25
lunch in vancouver: $10
two tickets to zags vs tops: $300
watching the greatest zag moment this side of the runner: priceless

Saxon_zag
03-22-2009, 01:00 AM
sounds like a sick trip man.. way to just wing it and get in there that is awesome!

Akzag
03-22-2009, 02:44 AM
quite envious, I am of you, young Zag fan

CodeCobalt
03-22-2009, 05:13 AM
stupid question... but game tickets are good for all games being played at that venue for the day? sweet.

Zagger
03-22-2009, 05:27 AM
Yeah - usually the tickets are good for a portion of time (morning, lunch to dinner, after dinner, etc.).

Reborn
03-22-2009, 07:02 AM
tobizag, thanks for a great post. Thanks for sharing that special moment with us. You got me on that one, pal.

I can't imagine a better place in the world to have been yesterday than where you were. You will remember not only that shot, that and that game but the whole day. Days like yesterday, days like that shared with a good friend, a son, a family, or a community is what makes life precious to me. The experience was priceless, I am sure. In the end, you gotta admit, you got a bargain.

Rangerzag
03-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Concerning co-existing with Huskies at the Rose Garden, the Woofers were very polite when compared to comments regularly heard from Stanford fans a couple a years ago in Key Arena. Markedly so! I didn't hear a single comment from a Stanford fan this weekend ;)

tobizag
03-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Concerning co-existing with Huskies at the Rose Garden, the Woofers were very polite when compared to comments regularly heard from Stanford fans a couple a years ago in Key Arena. Markedly so! I didn't hear a single comment from a Stanford fan this weekend ;)

ranger, you are absolutely right. i was very impressed with the husky fans and greatly appreciated their support...and their seats!

3rdGenZagFan
03-22-2009, 12:36 PM
The Mid-Major days are long gone. We are a force to be reckoned with. Beat the 'Heels......

BobZag
03-22-2009, 02:08 PM
$10 for eats?

Where'd you guys eat? Burker King? lol.

Enjoyed your story, tobi.

tobizag
03-22-2009, 02:18 PM
$10 for eats?

Where'd you guys eat? Burker King? lol.

Enjoyed your story, tobi.

cheap chinese on the road... haha

had to save the $$ for the tix!