PDA

View Full Version : Hubert Davis Analysis Agree/Disagree

applezag
03-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Just saw Hubert Davis give his take on the Zags tonight. He said he thought they would have their hands full against UNC (duh). His first critique was that they let too many shooters have open looks. He must not have been watching the same game I saw. I can't really fault the Zags defense that much, especially in the second half. They contested shots really well (a couple of bogus fouls resulted). WKU just made them anyway--give them the credit. The other thing he said was that they need to get the ball in to Heytvelt more in the post. I couldn't agree more. Few was asked about this in the press conference and he pretty much said that isn't something they look to do much, that it doesn't play to their strengths and they try to do other things. I'm not saying they should do it every possession, but it seems to me that when Josh gets the ball in there, good things happen. I would not put my basketball understanding up against Few's, but I do disagree on this point.

FuManShoes
03-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I agree and disagree with Hubert and the gang. OMV and Slaughter were shooting lights out. Making shots from everywhere. And because of that it seemed to open up driving lanes and dump offs to other guys. Now, I will say that Austin has got to be stronger out there -- both in finishing at the hoops and snagging those boards. But a lot of the fouls he gets called for are crap. I don't get it. Is he the only long skinny 6'11" player in the country? Why do refs just assume he's hacking? Anyway, the Zags will have to be tough, tough, tough against UNC and not bite on jukes and get the boards they should get. It's the Sweet 16 - put someone on their can if they are having their way with you. I saw a bunch of little kids outrebound a bigger team in a rec-league game before the Zags played. If scrawny kids like that can muscle up, then the Zags can. As for getting Heytvelt involved, it's got to happen. I think if Josh gets some early touches the memories of dominating UNC at MSG come rushing back and the Zags are off to the races. Williams will probably spend all week harping on how the Tarheels must intimidate the Zags with physicality. It's probably the thing opposing coaches preach the most. OK, so seize it and show up tough and mean and disciplined and use your balance to tear these guys apart. Easy!

CDC84
03-21-2009, 10:31 PM
The Zags defense is probably going to look very different against UNC. They will likely zone. Hubert probably doesn't realize that either.

The one play that really upset me was the last Mendez-Valdez three pointer. Bouldin was so afraid of getting picked on his left that he tried to duck under the screen and left him wipe open. That happened a few times during the game.

SpudDawg
03-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Hubert Davis is a boob.

Give the Hilltoppers their due. They made some incredible shots. They also made some lucky shots. Thank God they couldn't shoot free throws.

That's basketball, right?

Me, I'm happy the Zags are still dancing and are in the Sweet 16. I can be content with that. Of course, that's easy to say now -- ask me next week after I've screamed my throat raw and pelted the TV with pillows and profanity.

MBZags
03-21-2009, 11:06 PM
He's right about getting the ball to Heytvelt. In the UNC game, the team, especially Heytvelt, needs to go after Hansbrough. The offense seems to flow much better when Heytvelt is getting good looks both at mid-range and up close.

For me, Hubert lost much credibility when he said on ESPN Radio on Friday that people should turn in their Gonzaga cards if the team doesn't make the Final Four this season. I respect him as an analyst, but that comment was just plain stupid.

DoMieD
03-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Personally, I think they're both idiots.. (Hubert more so than Digger)

ESPN fell off a few years ago..

These dudes were hittin' shots from half court, how do you cover that exactly? And when we did put a hand in they're face, they call us for a foul (very wack ((for the sensitive people on this board)) btw)..

And as far as not going in to Josh, I think that was somewhat our game plan b/c thats what WKU expected us to do :shrugs:

Baldwinzag
03-21-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm really beginning to dislike the so-called "experts" more and more everyday. I just caught their late-night recap and they gave no credit to WKU whatsoever and only commented on the, "Zags poor perimeter defense and not locating the good shooters, etc". They know little about basketball if they said we were porous on defense. WKU made shots all over the court and with hands in their face. They would have upset most teams in the tournament from what I've seen thus far. I doubt these talking heads even watched our game, because they couldn't wait to belittle our effort against the Hilltoppers and saying we'll get smoked by UNC. Who cares about UNC. Give us credit for getting to the Sweet 16 instead of saying we suck at defense. Sheesh...:( :confused:

JLGutrocks
03-21-2009, 11:23 PM
guaranteed there are less than a handful of teams in the tourney that would have escaped with a win against what WKU dished out tonight.

jim77
03-21-2009, 11:40 PM
So true GUTROCKS.

We just beat a team who shot 51% from the field AND 48% from three land...their freethrows cost them dearly. We also got outboarded. We beat a darn good team.

TheCroatian
03-22-2009, 05:14 AM
We won a slow it down, ugly it up, gritty game vs Akron and came back and hung on in a barnburning, shootout with WKU. That's two very different games with the same result. Very Impressive Indeed.

bartruff1
03-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Hubert is spot on....one of the best...has high expectations for Gonzaga...

ZaginLaw
03-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Kinda surprised they both didn't work in that GU isn't even the best team in the WCC this year.

A Sweet 16 for the second best team in the WCC should improve the stature of the WCC....right?

Rangerzag
03-22-2009, 07:41 AM
In general it is a good sign when Josh is getting the ball well into the paint. As the game goes along and I start to get antsy about it I manage to calm a bit if the Zags are instead running the plays where Matt, Micah, Jeremy, Austin and Meech are sliding under the basket for layins and dunks with Josh effectively decoying the defense out.

krozman
03-22-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm really beginning to dislike the so-called "experts" more and more everyday. :

Realize that expert competance hasn't gone down. It's that you have become more intelligent, and the "experts" just don't fill your head with the same faith that you once had. Don't let it go to your head! :lmao:

ZagHouse
03-22-2009, 07:59 AM
I imagine most of their attention in studio was on the Texas/Duke game. Digger made the comment that the Zags were lucky to win this game. I completely disagree and feel that if he had been watching, WK was lucky to make it a game at the end. One bonehead turnover by Gray and a missed no call on Bouldin--led to WK even making it interesting. As for WK's shooters--they hit a ton of shots. Only three or four weren't contested. I rarely ever saw them move the ball to get an open look. Zags are cursed with teams year after year having unbelievable games from behind the arc--I'm not going to blame their D on this one.

Zag79
03-22-2009, 09:09 PM
wow! im quite surprised that a board of zag fans would be disgruntled at the analysts for calling out our defense. i mean we only gave up 12 3 pointers, allowed 50%+ shooting, and gave up 81 points to a team that averages much less through the whole season to lesser opponents. :lmao: seriously people, its ok to win a tough, great game and realize the coach who we love just doesnt have a great defensive scheme to stop the 3. you cant blame the players, its been a decade of the same thing. you cant blame the analysts, they are simply commenting on a team allowing a 12 seed to hit for 12 3s. we were damn lucky to get that win, if WKU shot fts like normal they win by 5+. im super stoked the fellas won, but give it a rest! our 3 pt defense is always lacking against teams who love the 3.

UberZagFan
03-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Uber has no problem with criticizing the D. To say that all those shots were contested and they just were hot misses the point--they had TWO players who could make a shot (at one point, those two had all of WKU's points save one). At some point, the defender needs to blanket those players, switch on screens, fight through, etc. and make someone else beat you.

With that said, to say GU got lucky really is a simple statement. Lucky? WKU was lucky to get the game tied--two bonehead plays followed by a failure to block a guy out. Maybe it was "lucky" for GU to be able to run the court with 7 seconds left and get a wide open bunny but GU shouldn't even have been in that position.

p.s. Uber would rather be lucky than good.

Zag79
03-22-2009, 10:06 PM
i guess i mean lucky as in, "could have lost a game to a team they should have won by a larger margin due to lack of d". man to man makes that game much easier and i think the analysts noted that. but its safe to say zag79 thinks we will beat NC, as the zone is good against them. :D

rawkmandale
03-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Found this on a Coug blog site:

http://www.cougcenter.com/2009/3/22/806595/observations-from-day-two

Gonzaga/WKU

Yes, it was as entertaining in person as it was on TV -- probably even more so. You probably could hear it on the broadcast, but lots of "oooohs" and "aaaaahs" whenever Mendez-Valdez and Slaughter hit another ridiculous shot. And the pace was just insane. Pomeroy's got it at 71 possesssions, but boy did it seem like more than that. (Probably because it wasn't inflated by any last-minute fouling.) Both teams were running at every opportunity, and were not afraid to take the first quasi-decent shot that presented itself. Too fun.

Grady sent me a text last night about Gonzaga's 3-point defense and noted a similar thing on the blog last night. Honestly, it sure looked to me like many of those shots were contested and that WKU was just shooting at an unreal clip. But maybe that's just the way it seemed from the top of the arena. Plus, WKU shot 61.3 eFG% -- Gonzaga's highest allowed this year, but only the Toppers' fourth highest of the year. I think you just kind of have to give credit where credit is due on that one.

In that same vein, Gonzaga's defense looked much better last night than it did on Thursday. Part of it probably was Western Kentucky settling for a lot of outside shots, but the Bulldogs just seemed a little more inspired on that end of the floor. My guess? They knew that a good defensive possession was likely going to result in an opportunity to run the other direction, and nothing motivates running teams like that carrot.

The end of that game is one of the many reasons why I hate coaches being allowed to call timeouts. They're not on the floor (or at least shouldn't be) and are already too much a part of the college game with all of their incessant micromanaging. Plus, you run the risk of an official in a very loud arena not hearing or seeing them, and you get stuck with people talking just a little bit less about what a great game it was because the coach was trying to call timeout.

Matt Bouldin is playing really, really well right now. He always seemed to me to have a tendency to disappear in big games. But for my money he was the unsung hero on Thursday, and of course came up big last night. I haven't watched Gonzaga enough to say this with 100 percent certainty, but he's the one guy on that team who really seems to understand the game and who actually tries to play some defense.

Last thing. I absolutely cannot wait for the Gonzaga/UNC matchup this week. Neither team even really attempts to play much defense, and both are going to run at every possible opportunity. Look for that game to be close to 80 possessions, first one to 90 points wins. Should be an incredibly entertaining game.

rawkmandale
03-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Another guy on that blog (Grady) posted this:

Gonzaga defeats Western Kentucky. Wow.

After Mark Few thoroughly outcoached Ken McDonald for the vast majority of the second half, he made a critical mistake.

Seriously - how often have you seen a run-and-gun team slow down into the halfcourt to run clock, and then lose the lead (or the game) simply by trying not to lose?

Granted, it shouldn't have happened. Orlando Mendez-Valdez made a ridiculous turnaround-jumpshot three-pointer that I've only ever seen made in the College Hoops 2K series for Playstation.

Then, on the other end he pushes off on Matt Bouldin, completes shoving him to the ground, and somehow the refs conveniently forget to blow the whistle.

The Zags blew a nine point lead in the final 2:15. Nine points. Shades of that UCLA game when J.P. Batista decided to welcome a Bruin double-team than pass the ball to a wide open 95% free throw shooter.

And then Demetri Goodson, of all people, wins the game. I honestly thought it was Pargo, but maybe that's because Goodson has been playing the way Pargo should have been, on both sides of the ball, for Gonzaga's tournament games.

Good lord that was fun. Reminded me of what made me love the Zags in the first place back in high school.

Except I always used to wonder why teams shot the lights out against the Zags from the perimeter. Of course, then I discovered what it was like to watch a team that actually cared about defense. And, well, the Cougs have been my overriding love ever since. Thank goodness, too.

Nevtelen
03-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Great posts, but I'd beleive some of that analysis more if the post didn't end with this:

I absolutely cannot wait for the Gonzaga/UNC matchup this week. Neither team even really attempts to play much defense

Granted, the D didn't look so hot this weekend, but no D? Seriously?

Saxon_zag
03-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Except I always used to wonder why teams shot the lights out against the Zags from the perimeter. Of course, then I discovered what it was like to watch a team that actually cared about defense. And, well, the Cougs have been my overriding love ever since. Thank goodness, too.

Lol that guy is a goon...

I'm glad he found a team that he loves to watch like the slow it down cougs.. sorry some dude was hitting 26 foot turn-arounds on us.. we still have a good d this year people seem to just assume otherwise... glad your cougs got out of the cellar of the pac for 2 years...y

anyways hubert just pisses me off him and digger when talking about the sweet 16 games once they get to the unc gonzaga game hubert just goes "NO CHANCE".. after saying that he then says "their only chance is if josh heytvelt has a great game" i thought you said no chance hubert? lol... hubert also chose all the better seeded teams to win this weeks games minus the villanova duke one... him and digger annoy me, we need more bob knight