PDA

View Full Version : Where were you and how did you react. . .

GUZag08
03-21-2009, 09:34 PM
when meech goodson launched the Zags into the sweet 16?

I was in CM Northwest with 3 buddies. He hit the shot and we all jumped up screaming, and ran into the hall hugging anyone around.

fedwayzag
03-21-2009, 09:42 PM
In my recliner watching alone. Most people do not want to be around me when GU plays. Jumped out of my chair. Have not jumped that high since high school

FuManShoes
03-21-2009, 09:44 PM
At my place in Seattle with three childhood pals from Spokane. We went ape#### :)

SWZag
03-21-2009, 09:47 PM
I was at my cousins place and at the community center, they have a small theatre, so we were watching the game life-size.

When the shot went in I was jumping up and down screaming, "THE FRESHMAN, THE FRESHMAN" over and over. I lost my voice in 15 seconds.

It was awesome. It was truly an awesome moment!!

Meech, I have a feeling you will be in a new video by ZagSlug (when a new one comes out) along with "The Runner!"

SWZag

GonzagaDynasty
03-21-2009, 09:49 PM
I was with my family and some friends, And me and my brother got up, ran around the basement screaming and jumping up and down.. I too lost my voice....

GO ZAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zagfan24
03-21-2009, 09:56 PM
I left my friend's place to watch the final few minutes in my own apartment...when Meech hit the shot I honestly was just jumping uncontrollably, all over the place, throwing my hands wildly in excitement. It was incredible. I took a shot of Jack and went back to work. :D

zagirl2k
03-21-2009, 10:00 PM
We scared our poor 2 1/2 year old daughter who was sitting on the couch with her Nana and I, with Slug and Grandpa nearby. We were all yelling with excitement and she had no idea what was going on. She got over it pretty quickly though.

Much happiness is Slug/Zagirl2k land tonight.

SEAZAG84
03-21-2009, 10:10 PM
i was there woooo!!!! greatest moment of my life and i was in 229 row r aka the wall.....still the coolest thing i have seen in person in my life!! i too might be on the news with a gonzaga zip up sweater and freaking out so look for me!!!!:D :D :D

SpudDawg
03-21-2009, 10:35 PM
At home, shrieking like a banshee on crack. Fortunately, 3-year-old SpudPup took it in stride.

I think it was something like "IT WENT IN!!!"

Psychozag
03-21-2009, 10:47 PM
At home in the basement watching with my wife. After the tip-in, I thought, "it's okay, we will beat them in overtime." And then Meech took off running in that special gear he has, and I got off the couch as he put the shot up, and when it went in, I jumped up and pointed at the screen yelling "Meech is a stud," with my wife saying, "I can't believe he is only a freshman." After the buzzer sounded, I turned to my wife and said, "we just witnessed a top three all time Gonzaga play."

rennis
03-21-2009, 10:52 PM
At my house with another Alum and his girlfriend. we freaked out and yelled for a good minute. Classic. Vindicating. Thanks Zags.

Reborn
03-21-2009, 10:55 PM
I was at my place with my son. We decided to hold hands for those last 24 seconds or so after the time out. My son was feeling pretty negative, as if we were going to lose one more time. As Western Kentucky began to come back, and after that obvious foul by Mendez-Valdez after Matt slipped (gave him a should which knocked Matty away from the ball), and they scored. He kept saying. Dad, what can we do? What can we do? And I say there's nothing left but to trust God and just believe with all our heart. We had a tight grip. We have been doing this for many many years for many games, and it has worked a lot. They set there play, shot and missed, and I thought we had 'em. And then suddenly it happened so fast. WK rebounded the ball and put it in. I thought he missed it, but My son almost fainted, so I knew it went in, but it was just so fast. Before I could speak a word (I thought it was going into overtime, there was Meech. I actually thought it was Pargo, and I felt good with the ball in his hands. I thought YES. Jeremy will do it. And dang it I saw that ball go in and I thought he had. I just believed Jeremy was going to win that game. My son was jumping around like a gorrila. I've never seen him so happy. Just jumping like a little kid again (He's 37 now, but still a kid I guess). I'm too old for all that jumping, but I sure enjoyed watching my kid. And I was so happy. My son said it was Meech. And I was in shock. How could a Freshman do all that. Then I told my son, how I read a lot on Meech last summer, and his high school coach said we were going to be very happy with Goodson because above everything, he hates to lose. His coach said that one thing about him is that he's a winner. Wow. Are we happy or what??????

my son and I watched the replay of that play probably 30 times, and we just couldn't believe it. How fast he was going, changing directions like a running back and then cut through the hole like a bolt of lightning. And suddenly he was hanging in the air, and a I suddenly saw Blake Stepp in that one moment, and I saw that dang ball go in, and it was the redemption of Blake Stepp. AS has been said in another thread, that missed shot will no longer be in our memory thanks to Meech.

One of the first things my son said after the win was, "Dad. I know we'll beat North Carolina. I just know it. We got the monkey off our back now." I believe that too.

MBZags
03-21-2009, 11:02 PM
I was in my room in Kennedy and screamed "**** YEAH!" and pumped my fist harder than I ever had before. To understood the magnitude of my excitement, a girl halfway down the hall heard me through my door, my apartment door, and her door (and Kennedy is a big building). My language choice could have been much better, but excitement got the best of me. After thinking Gonzaga was headed to OT and another potential devastating loss, I was so relieved and happy. I think I scared the crap out of my two roommates, neither of which are basketball fans.

TheBeast
03-21-2009, 11:15 PM
I was at the Pub with 7-8 friends, all but a couple of us were GU grads. I didn't notice, but someone said you could have heard a pin drop at our table when WKU scored.
Although it was only our table and a smaller table across the way clapping and cheering during the game, the whole place went nuts when Goodson scored.
I lost it pretty good, but chances are I'll never see those strangers again, right??? :D

scrooner
03-22-2009, 07:20 AM
I had the job of holding our 6-month-old, trying to put him to sleep!

I don't like it when coaches call timeout in that situation, letting the defense set up as well. So when Meech got the ball, I was gritting my teeth, saying "GO MEECH, GO MEECH, PUSH IT MEECH!" as Baby Duncan started to wake up. I knew he could get there quick enough, just didn't know what the D would do. When the shot when in I gave a loud "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!", and then when the game ended I just closed my eyes and smiled for a few minutes, letting it wash over me.

And then Baby Duncan went back to sleep.

ZagManFan
03-22-2009, 07:34 AM
At The Rose Garden Going Nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BongKrosby
03-22-2009, 07:35 AM
3rd row right in line with the foul line across from the GU bench. Yes, I was probably the closest Zag to "The Runner heard 'round the world". There with my wife and 2 kids and a few other Zag friends who took up seats in Purdue's section once they left.

I was fortunate to be only a few rows above the GU bench in 99 when Casey put us in the elite 8. I have been very blessed.

Now, I am trying to go to Graceland to hopefully witness a GU final 4 destiny.

GO ZAGS!

RenoZag
03-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Was in the computer room, had the lap top in front of me for the game thread and game on the telly. . .much yelling and screaming had accompanied the previous three minutes of game action. . .when Steven Gray committed the turnover, a sinking feeling started to creep in. When Bouldin slipped and WKU scored to tie, I said "Not UCLA again!" out loud.

When Meech scored, my heart was racing. I clapped, I yelled, I felt 15 again.

75Zag
03-22-2009, 07:56 AM
Front Row Section 216 screaming out my lung tissues and trying not to fall over the rail onto the top of the CBS camera crew.

As we were basking in the afterglow of the GU victory, it felt like the curse of the disaster in Oakland in '06 was lifted. I feel like I have been there for the worst and best in GU post-season history and the best is a lot more fun than the worst!

Congrats to Bulldogs who kept their cool under pressure. I have never seen 3 point shooting like the Hilltoppers were hurling up last night. From my angle, the full court prayer that the Hilltop player threw at the buzzer looked like it might go in. I would not have been surprised after watching them make miracle shots for the preceding 39 minutes.

A wonderful victory for the program. Go Bulldogs!

edcasey
03-22-2009, 07:58 AM
at Quest Field, Odea Fightin Irish POSH Auction....whole bunch of us were ignoring dinner gathering around a single tv....whole place erupted....

bballbeachbum
03-22-2009, 07:58 AM
downstairs in my office, yelling Yeesss! Yeesss! Yeesss!

"Did Zongaga win?" That's what my boy asked me.

Yeesss!

What a feeling.......

gueastcoast
03-22-2009, 08:09 AM
At a sports bar in Manhattan with the GU alumni club, making a good showing as we did Thursday. All I can remember through the beer-fueled haze is not believing WKU tied it with the tip and then it all seemed to happen so fast...when Meech banked it in the entire bar (Zag fans and otherwise) erupted and fists, index fingers, and more than a few beers were raised high in the air in celebration. Not quite like being there (Bong wish I could have joined you at the Rose Garden but I will see you in Memphis) but still was able to celebrate among the Zag family which is pretty special.

CarolinaZagFan
03-22-2009, 08:18 AM
I was at one of my friends' house with two of my friends that I have turned into Gonzaga fans over the past couple of years. I'm a little scared though, one of my friends said I slapped his hand so hard it may be broken, he can't bend it today haha.

Zagdawg
03-22-2009, 08:27 AM
At the game with 2 of my friends --experiencing all the emotions in the world in those last 3 minutes---oh my goodness........"No--not UCLA part 2"-- "The Runner part 2" ---When the team mobbed Goodson-- i was thinking....don't kill him!
Well worth the time and effort to go to Portland!

bigblahla
03-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Sitting on the couch with mini-me blahla lamenting on the missed foul call when Matt got ran over while dribbling after he was knocked down, no he didn't trip or slip(horrible missed call even if it is at the end of a game). Started to yell with the missed shot when the tip in occurred, tie score and then.....

Meech took off and did his thing as the ball left his hand I could see from the angle it was going in. As it went through the hoop I screamed, mini-me screamed and from another part of the house Mrs.blahla screamed and we jumped for joy slapping high fives yelling 'Sweet Sixteen baby, Sweet sixteen. Mini-me did his "Dukie V" imitation "That was awesome baby with a capital A."

Our team played good and although it was a barn burner I didn't think the "D" was that bad just two good teams who wanted to keep playing.

God might be a Gael but for 7 seconds on a Saturday he was wearing GU colors.

Go!! Zags!!!

Beat UNC!!!!!!!!!

mnzag24
03-22-2009, 08:43 AM
in a pretty fancy restaurant in Milwaukee celebrating a friend's birthday. about 5 of us ditched the table to watch the end. i started screaming uncontrollably, but everyone loved it. i was visibly shaking for about the next 20 minutes

Radbooks
03-22-2009, 08:44 AM
I was watching on my computer because I don't have CBS and as I watched WKU mug Matt and then get that tip and I'm thinking, not again. It can't happen to us again, can it? When Meech put that runner in I just sat here stunned and disbelieving for a moment and then I got teary eyed as I watched the guys celebrating. It was a very special moment.

Beat the Tarheels!

baitcast
03-22-2009, 08:51 AM
I,m a real old guy but love this as such as anyone and nobody gets into the game more than me,that said I was by myself holding my breath like you all when the shot went up,I went up and then down to the floor,my knee locked up and I laid there laughing,thinking I,m glad there,s no one around to see this,hell of a game. GO ZAGS
Rob in AZ. Wonder what UNC is thinking?

DADoZAG
03-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Where else? Jack and Dans, screaming, "...take it Meech, take it Meech!"

This is soooo "SWEET" for Spokane!

Go ZAGS!!! Beat UNC!!!!

ZagLawGrad
03-22-2009, 08:59 AM
The wife's not a big sports fan. But she was screaming the whole time Meech was cranking down the court. She almost got as much air as Dr. J (my avatar)...when Meech banked that shot. I don't know if she, Meech or the team was the happiest

TexasZagFan
03-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Was in the computer room, had the lap top in front of me for the game thread and game on the telly. . .much yelling and screaming had accompanied the previous three minutes of game action. . .when Steven Gray committed the turnover, a sinking feeling started to creep in. When Bouldin slipped and WKU scored to tie, I said "Not UCLA again!" out loud.

When Meech scored, my heart was racing. I clapped, I yelled, I felt 15 again.

RZ, I was thinking about the UCLA game, too. I was watching the game at Buffalo Wild Wings in Lewisville, with my daughter and her boyfriend.

Our viewing was largely limited to one of the smaller TV's (without sound), owing to the fact that Texas was playing Duke.

I thought Meech's drive and layup were made by Pargo...:lmao:

I didn't realize it was Meech until I turned on ESPN.

Don't know where I'll watch the UNC game, but I'll be sticking with that good ole' Shiner Bock.

DixieZag
03-22-2009, 09:28 AM
In a great sports bar, alone (wife had infant duty), when I got there, no one was paying attention to the huge screen GU game, but I quickly made about a dozen "new zags"-- with 2:04 to go, everyone else was celebrating a win, I knew better, couldn't believe the non-call on Matt, had resigned myself to WKU hitting a 3 at the buzzer, then when missing the 3 and then the tip in, thought "ok, we win in overtime"-- and then watching Pargo (really, I thought it was Pargo) go the length of the floor and bank in a shot -- the one we were due after Blake Stepp's, and the bar erupted with my new "Zags" -- walked out of the bar immediately thinking, Jeremy deserved that, he has given us so much, and put up with so much, he deserved that, only to have Mrs. Dixie Zag call me on the cell saying, "wasn't it incredible that a freshman -- Meech made that shot" -- I was shocked, but thought that it didn't matter, FINALLY, it was a Zag hitting a shot to win a game!

Onward, to our more comfortable, "underdog" identity.

misszigzag
03-22-2009, 09:44 AM
My husband and I were sitting at the computer going through just about every emotion possible in that last minute.

WK took the 3, missed but got the put back. I was jumping around angrily when my husband grabbed my arm and said look, there is still time, look at meech! He drove straight down and took the shot and made it like it was nothing. Neither of us could believe our eyes, but we were jumping around yelling and screaming! "We're going to the sweet sixteen, I love you goodson", and other things which I just can't remember now.

Needless to say, our house erupted into chaos. Our peacefully sleeping 1 and 3 year old woke up scared and crying. I think the dog was barking and I was on the phone with my sister yelling while tangled in the phone cord. I think it was near 11 here, and I am sure the neighbors were wondering what was going on, haha. It was such a perfect moment. We got the kiddies back to sleep easily and watched that play over and over.

Bring Back John Rillie
03-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Dallas, Texas!!

I recruited 50 strangers at the bar who were all watching the UT game. I convinced the bartender to give me one TV in the corner for the zags but by the last 90 seconds of the game, 12 screens were focused on our boys.

When Meech's shot fell, it was the first time in 3 years, I was proud to say I live in Texas.

Go Zags.

DixieZag
03-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Just for the screen name, "Bring Back Rillie" -- Love it, and yes, the eyes of Texas were upon us last night and not on the horns against Dook.

ZagLawGrad
03-22-2009, 09:58 AM
My husband and I were sitting at the computer going through just about every emotion possible in that last minute.

WK took the 3, missed but got the put back. I was jumping around angrily when my husband grabbed my arm and said look, there is still time, look at meech! He drove straight down and took the shot and made it like it was nothing. Neither of us could believe our eyes, but we were jumping around yelling and screaming! "We're going to the sweet sixteen, I love you goodson", and other things which I just can't remember now.

Needless to say, our house erupted into chaos. Our peacefully sleeping 1 and 3 year old woke up scared and crying. I think the dog was barking and I was on the phone with my sister yelling while tangled in the phone cord. I think it was near 11 here, and I am sure the neighbors were wondering what was going on, haha. It was such a perfect moment. We got the kiddies back to sleep easily and watched that play over and over.

Hilarious! :lmao:

LynetteG
03-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I was at home in my family room watching with my husband. After we were up by 9 with 2 minutes left I told him "I feel good about this game", unlike what happened against FUCLA. Then the spiral downward started, and my husband said "you jinxed them!". As soon as I heard that I gave him the dirtiest look I could muster and said "You NEVER use that word, the J word-- EVER!!!!!" I was so mad he even thought to say that!!!!!

So it was tied and I thought, well, I guess we go to OT. And then MEECH streaked down the court and scored! I lept into the air and screamed my head off! And I mean SCREAMED! When our horses race and I am at the track I KNOW the announcer can hear me yelling our runners home, so trust me when I say....IT WAS LOUD!!!!!!!!! Best night of my life so far as a GU fan! I look forward to the stompdown (yeah, i said it, have to have confidence) on Friday!!!!!!!!

Edited to say that all season long I have been saying how much I love Meech and that I am not worried about us being wihtout Pargo next year, because this kid is going to be something special! I am also a huge Steven Gray and Robert Sacre fan!

NYCZAG
03-22-2009, 10:01 AM
I was watching on NCAA.com because I watched the Akron game on it and they won so what the heck I figured I will watch it online-My Father thought I fell asleep because he knew what happened and didn't hear a peep out of me because there was a 15 second delay on the computer so I had no idea then I went nuts he realized there was a delay and I could hear my parents laughing about it this morning!-

LynetteG
03-22-2009, 10:06 AM
I was watching on NCAA.com because I watched the Akron game on it and they won so what the heck I figured I will watch it online

You know your mission on Friday, right? You cannot watch the game on TV, you must watch it on the computer!!!!!!!! :)

HillBillyZag
03-22-2009, 10:10 AM
I had thought the game would end before 7:00 PM and my wife and I had invited friends over to play cards. Well, when they got here, I was still in my recliner wearing all of my Zag gear and enthralled with the game. My good wife made my excuses while I doffed my cap and sat, hanging on every play
and screaming like a banshee! When we got the lead, lost it, and Meech worked his magic, I went bonkers. Good thing we won, my cards were terrible all night and the guests wiped up the floor with us. But I was so high with Zag luv it made no difference. What a game!!

kyle dixon
03-22-2009, 10:16 AM
But I fell forward on my knees off the couch for the second time after a last second NCAA game. Last time was the Stepp miss, this time the Meech bucket. Clutch. Got up quickly and kissed my wife. Looked at my daughter Stella and said, ":) Go Zags!" Priceless......

johno
03-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Confusion. Disorientation, Disbelief...Watching at home with my teenage son...The foul on MB...The missed three by the hilltoppers, then the put in-only I have threes on the brain and thinking unconsciously that's what the Hilltoppers just made.... Yelling at the screen as the Zags prepare to inbounds with 8 seconds, "TIMEOUT, TIMEOUT",...Watching the freshman take it down the floor, thinking he should give it to Pargo....The SCORE...The CELEBRATION...SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS AND HIGH FIVES WITH MY SON...The Hilltoppers coach obviously screaming the words "BULL****" while charging towards the ref (and the surreal feeling of actually watching the the swear words mouthed on national TV)....Thinking the refs might might take a look at it...CBS cutting away to another game...thinking the refs might still betaking a look at it and put time back on the clock...My son saying Meech's shot reminded him of that one by Blake Stepp...Happy....Happy I'm not coach....frantically channel surfing to find a replay.

cookie lady
03-22-2009, 10:24 AM
I was at home with my family...we were all holding our breath and swearing in unison at every 3. We did a group scream of relief and all exclaimed that it was great to be on the dealing end of that last play. We then preceded to view the recording 25 times. We also like to watch Pargo dish out his unique Chicago style stink eye in slow motion. Bring on NC.

Sarenyon
03-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Watching from the computer... thoughts of a UCLA meltdown going through my head and upset at the no call on Matt... all that was comming out of my mouth was a low "nonononononononono"

Then the 3 missed but they got the put back. I saw Meech with the ball moving it up, I first thought he would send it to Matty or Pargo, but the lane just opened and he is so darn fast taking it to the rack and as the ball went off the back board I jumped out my seat.

MEEEEECH, MEEECH, MEEEEEEECCCHHH!!! THE FRESHMAN DOES IT!!!! My wife, sitting on the bed was just rolling laughing.

One of the best Zag momments EVER! :) :D

ZagLawGrad
03-22-2009, 10:28 AM
I love all of these stories. Totally hilarious every one of 'em

johnwzag
03-22-2009, 10:39 AM
All good stories.

I was sitting in my comfortable chair. First half, drinking Tequilla, second half -- switched to ice water. I was fairly confident up until the point that Matt was fouled and they took it in. I kept saying no! no! no! Then they tied it. I remember thinking, their fouls are adding up. We will win in OT. While I was thinking that, Meech streaked across the court and put it in. I don't think the WKU players saw him coming either. I was shocked at the ending. So glad we have Meech. He kept the 3s from raining down too.

kstro7
03-22-2009, 10:53 AM
On the 9th floor in my dorm room, watching the duke game on the tv yelling at CBS to switch to the zags with my three roomates and my brother, running back and forth between the game on my laptop in my bedroom, back into the common room when they would switch to the game.

Thinking during the timeout that we needed Meech in the game for defensive purposes and saying "Just don't let them get a 3 off". Watching that happen and going nononono, seeing the tip in and saying don't call time out. Thinking back to all close games the past couple of weeks and how teams constantly chuck up NBA range threes at the end of the game, just go to the rim and see what happens.

Watching Meech step in and get the ball, not pass to Pargo and start going. Dribbling down the court, my brother starts saying give it to micah, i'm screaming over and over "to the rim, to the rim" Meech blazing by everyone and as he takes the floater I immediately think of Blake, seeing it go in. Jumping up and down, becoming terrified as they shoot the desperation 3. And then at the top of my lungs just screaming "MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH! HE'S A FRESHMAN!!" over and over again.

Sheesh, what a game

MickMick
03-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Good thread!

In our home. My beautiful wife planted a big celebratory kiss. We were both talking about the game for the rest of the evening.

She wears Zag gear almost everyday. Now she can wear it to work next week with a big smile.

CanadZag
03-22-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm in my buddies basement (a Tar Heels fan- whose relishing in the potential collapse, although to his credit, not too outwardly) with a couple of friends. I was stone cold silent from the time OM-V hit that 180 3-pointer.

When they put up the 3 I thought it was in... dejection.
It clanks off...exhalation.
Put back...frustration.
Meech flying down the court...anticipation (unknown to myself- I have now stood up and am walking over to the TV)
Bank, and In...I'm frozen.
They throw it the length of the court and it his the baseline...Jubilation. (I am screaming and fist-pumping)
I yell, "Goodson I Love You!"
And collapse to the ground...Exhaustion.

I then proceed to go upstairs where the people jokingly ask, "So, did your team win?"
I apologize for the noise.

RenoZag
03-22-2009, 11:25 AM
This thread should end up in the "Hall of Fame" Forum. . .and as a chapter in the next edition of "BraveHearts" .

Oregon Zag
03-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I set the doorbell off a record 4 times screaming! Usually Micah is the one that causes me to set if off (the record was 3), but this time it was Meech! To explain: We have a receiver for our doorbell that relays the ring to the rest of the house. When I hit a certain decibel it sets off the whole thing. So when Meech hit the winning shot last night, we heard chimes throughout the whole house. My throat is still sore today.

billyberu
03-22-2009, 11:53 AM
I was at home with the Mrs., one of our daughters and the dog. I am a complete wreck during close games and this was no exception. Through the aid of about 6 Pilsner Urquells I was able to take the edge off of it. The last 2 minutes were a roller-coaster ride for me and this time my wife was as excited as I usually am. Man, I thought, can't this kid miss just one 3pt shot? It was making me ill. Didn't have time to get pissed about the foul on Matty B. in the closing seconds of regulation because it was all happening too fast. With that last tip-in to tie up the game the weight of past season exits was bearing upon me like a freight train.
When AD inbounded to Meech I can't remember being surprised, but when he was moving at 3/4 speed and the defense was not tightening around him I just knew he was going to take it to the rack. That last second burst was phenomenal and the bank shot was breathtaking. When it went in I lept from my standing posistion and proceeded to dance and jump with my wife letting everyone know that Meech was my hero. The dog was barking too.

NJZag
03-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Was watching in the family room (3 of us) with text messages coming from other family members. TV was on and so was a VAIO connected to WiFi due to the spotty coverage in this market. (The delays between TV and streaming video are killer, but yo ... '09 coverage beats '99!)

Initial text messages were along the lines of "Did they underseed those other guys?" and "Where did they recruit that Orlando?"

In final moments of the game, heads were going into sofa-pillows when OMV connected and made the score 81-77 (muffled words: "OMG, not again!" ) while the TO that found OMV then connecting to Pettigrew for the 81-79 found more pillow-diving (muffled words: "I can't take this every *%$&#^* March!" ). A text message arrived from a relative who, year after year bets on the Zags in his little brackets pool and never lets me hear the end of it at the family Easter dinner if they exit early, to the general effect: "r u watching? DAMN!!"

DUH!

I and two dogs ( gnawing with increasing aggression on their rawhide bonz as they sensed tension in the room) were the only set of eyes not buried in pillows when the Pettigrew tip-in tied it. Then all eyes were on TV in final seconds, not a peep was heard, hearts in throat. This forum seems to have a lot of screamers ... how do ya'll do it while having heart attacks?

Thrilla time!!

Proudzagmom
03-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Our youngest daughter was a semi-finalist in a singing competition yesterday that's about 180 miles from our home. It ended at 3:30 and my kids and husband were instructed to use the bathroom there 'cause we weren't stopping! Watched the first half on TiVo and the remainder of the game live.

I refuse to watch these games with anyone but my immediate family, because I am that annoying fan who talks to "her boys" and cheers loudly through the whole thing. When we watched the Akron game, my 14-year-old told her dad they should move to China, maybe they wouldn't be able to hear me yelling from there. Last night, she didn't say a word. My voice is just beginning to return. What a game!

UberZagFan
03-22-2009, 01:42 PM
It is 2:30 PM the next day and Uber has just now recovered. His blood pressure is back to normal. His mother thinks he should see a cardiologist on Monday because she is certain there is permanent damage from that ending.

Uber was at home with Uber wife and kids and friends. He was watching on the projection screen. When WKU hit that shot, he was screaming go the length go the length no timeouts. When Meech hit that shot, the house erupted but Uber held his cool until that full length shot was off the mark--he's seen too many unbelievable tourney shots go in to get too excited too early. When the shot was off, Uber went nuts yelling he's only a freshman.

Uber was thinking of UCLA as well but not for the reasons stated above but for the Edney shot. Does everyone remember what UCLA did after Edney made that shot? That's as much as Uber will say about that.

ZagNative
03-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Great stories! Watching the game at my sister's house, I have no interesting reactions to report, but I thought it funny and uniquely "Spokane" that the homily opened this morning at 11:00 Mass at St. Al's with the line, "How 'bout them Zags!" to applause in agreement from the congregation.

Zagregious
03-22-2009, 01:51 PM
At home in Colbert, with my 2 boys, watching on the projector in glorious HD.

Went nutty with my 14 year old, and when we quieted down, my 8 year old hit my Staples "Easy Button"

The only sound in the room at the time was,"That was easy."

Classic.

Zag365
03-22-2009, 01:51 PM
After reading everyone's comments on this thread, I am so pumped that we all share such a collective memory of the last 10 years of GU basketball and that we have a common understanding on the meaning of the Meech shot. The Meech shot is part of our tradition. It restores order to the basketball world and how GU games are supposed to end from a Zag nation perspective.

The post-game comments by Pargo and the other players showed that they also carry the same memory and had the same flashbacks as the rest of us.

Despite an up and down season, we KNEW this team belonged in the Sweet 16. Anything less would have been a letdown. So, as we so often have after so many nailbiter games, we can collectively exhale. (Why we can't play more games like we did in the WCC tournament this year is still a mystery.)

We exorcised a lot of "oh, no; not again" moments from letting leads slip away to the UCLA steal (= non-call on Bouldin take-away) to the unconscious 3-pt hot shooter (= Curry becomes Mendez-Valdez).

The eerie thing about Meech shot is that, while it was instinctive and spontaneous, it seemed like it was deliberately planned to incorporate so many of elements of the most inconic moment in Gonzaga basketball history. To start with, it came after Pettigrew's tip-in that was remarkably like a Casey Calvary moment in reverse. Then Meech goes for the last second, short runner/lay-up much like the one that didn't go in for Quentin Hall (or Stepp v. Arizona, for that matter), and it goes in. And, like the Calvary tip-in, it happens in a flash during a confusing moment, just when you've resigned yourself to thinking it's too late and we won't score. At first, there's the split-second hesitation (is this real? did we just score?), then the unbelievable realization that "YESSS, we've won!" Again!

Saxon_zag
03-22-2009, 03:11 PM
After watching the first half and up until the 10 min mark of the 2nd half i already had commited the week before to go to the chiefs game i had to leave and listen to the game on the radio.. After parking we had a nice 8 point lead after some good plays by pargo and josh... When i enter the arena after a bit of a walk on the tv when you first enter a crowd of people were around it. I go to look and see a bit over 20 seconds left and WKU inbounding the ball "How the hell did this happen" i thought to myself... then it just started the inbound the screen, the 3 by slaughter, the tip in just made my heart sink just thinking i hope we can pull our heads out in overtime.. then driving down the court (i thought it was pargo as there was no sound, pretty small screen) and he hits it! basically watch the video and see what andrew sorenson is doing, because thats exactly what i did and everyone was just goin crazy.. awesome experience :)... i then watched the chiefs lose

zagco
03-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Zagco's young daughter and he wore their blue Gonzaga jerseys all day long. Zagco even had a headband on most of the day, which seemed to embarrass his wife when we went to Home Depot. Anyhoo, we watched in our living room in Boise, and Zagco was in his gigantic beanbag in front of the big screen. When it happened, he lifted his arms and legs up in the air and shook them really hard and we all screamed. The daughter jumped off the couch screaming and high fiving Zagco, and the wife was yelling from the recliner. It was pandamonium for about 3 minutes or so. Then, we made popcorn and drank root beer all night long. :D

JohnOGU
03-22-2009, 04:20 PM
watched it at a friend's house on Mission with about 10-15 people. i couldnt watch WKU's last possession, but then realized we had the ball for the final seconds. When Meech put the shot in, we all went ape-#### and started screaming and hugging. Followed by a dogpile in the middle of the living room. Such a rush, watching that shot. Amazing.

375RGRZAG
03-22-2009, 05:31 PM
...because "[she] wants [her] husband's brain back."

I guess she'll have to wait until Friday (and beyond?).

At about 5:20 I put our black lab (Bean) out. Bean (80lbs) has a nasty habit of jumping on me whenever I scream at the TV (which happens a lot) whilst watching GU play. After years of conditioning all I have to do is turn on the TV when a game's on and Bean starts going batty.

So, once Bean was out I started drinking figuring I'd need something to take the edge off from the get-go. Fortunately, my friend brought some great beer (not the Coors/PBR that usually inhabits our fridge) so that kept me from going too bonkers after OMV's 17 points in 9 minutes.

Throughout the game my 2 1/2 year old daughter would come in and say "that's Spike" or "Go Austin" or "are those the basketball boys?" Then she'd ask if I wanted to help her with her finger painting. "Maybe later dear."

My wife wouldn't let me hold our two month old for fear of shaken baby trauma.

Jay (the two month old), miraculously was asleep until the last .9 seconds of the game when Meech hit the runner. I went ballistic. Jay woke up screaming (because my wife was screaming). My friends asked if I was "going to be okay?"

Anyway, looking forward to Friday's game. Going to invite our friend who is an ER doctor just in case I go into cardiac arrest.

skan72
03-22-2009, 06:01 PM
I was at my uncle's and aunt's for the weekend and had to leave for a dinner as the first half ended, so I PVR'd/DVR'd/TVR'd...or whatever... the second half and watched it when I got back. I had turned off my cell phone so none of my friends would text me telling me what had happened, when I got back my brother and I immediately turned on the game.

Such a great close to the game, and Gonzaga up by a nice margin but WKU ties it up. I was sitting in the basement with my bro, and that blur of speed they call Demetri Goodson rushed down court, burned everyone and scored. I lost my mind. Fist pumps a-go-go. I thought it was Pargo who had hit it because it was such a clutch, veteran play, but then I rewound it and watched it again and did in fact see that it was Goodson. What an amazing shot!!

ZagAddict
03-22-2009, 06:10 PM
I was at the Rose Garden in the lower section (corner behind Zag bench) with my wife and 7 month old son. UNBELIEVABLE moment... we started jumping up and down. I then took my son down as close to the court as possible and cheered for the team.

Very similar reaction and feeling as to when Calvary tipped in the ball against Florida to go to the Elite 8, having my son and wife at this one made this one even more special though.

That was the best GU game I have ever seen in person...

Go Zags!

thespywhozaggedme
03-22-2009, 06:13 PM
In my hotel room in Atlanta watching on my laptop, as they were showing the Puke game here. I brought Mrs. Spy and Baby Spy with me and I almost woke up baby as I jumped out of my chair and "threw my hands in the a-yer."

Seattle_Zag
03-22-2009, 06:29 PM
In the Rose Garden. By myself. Section 213, Row K, Seat 2. Surrounded by UW and Oregon fans rooting for WKU, a couple of people rooting for Gonzaga and a few people rooting for a good game. During the last time out, I am sitting in my chair with my hands over my head praying that we can pull this one out. WKU down 2, shoots a 3 pointer. My heart sinks. They miss. They get the tip in and tie the game. For some reason, this didn't worry me as much as that 3 pointer. I see Meech run down the court, stop and put up the shot. I swear I knew he was going to make it the second I saw him stop and elevate. WKU throws the ball from 80 feet and misses. We win.

I start jumping up and down in excitement from what I just witnessed. When I see our players run onto the court and mob Meech, I started crying. Literally balling like a little girl. I don't know if I have ever experienced that type of joy in my life. I can't recall any other time where I have cried out of joy.

I love this program.

coolhandzag
03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
The Longhorn Tavern, Edison WA. Reaction - I think you know!

zagFAN1999
03-22-2009, 06:57 PM
I was courtside and took this video of the final 30 seconds and the post shot celebration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwLq1H--LbA

IslandZag
03-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I was at home, watching the game with my wife and one-year old son (who claps when I clap at made free throws, etc.). My 5 year old daughter managed to, amazingly, stay asleep in the family room. My nearly 8-year-old was out (perhaps fortunately) with relatives and missed the following commotion:

After agonizing over the last 2 minutes…”I can’t believe it… we are gonna lose this… we were up by 9 with 2 minutes to go…why does this happen…arrgh!” I was utterly dejected.

Then, the three point attempt went up, and missed, I yelled, “rebound!” and then something that amounted to “Nooooooo!”

When we inbounded the ball I started screaming, “let’s go…let’s win this… let’s win this…go…go…go…YES!!!!!!!!
This was immediately followed by a large amount of jumping and shouting.

Awesome game, fantastic ending.

Meech is money. :D

GO ZAGS!!!

ZagLawGrad
03-22-2009, 07:23 PM
I was courtside and took this video of the final 30 seconds and the post shot celebration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwLq1H--LbA

Awesome, thanks for posting!

Zag79
03-22-2009, 09:36 PM
i love all the responses, my house was identical to many! i had the family over, my parents, brother & sister n law, nephew, aunt & cousins, etc. it was joy, depression, joy, depression all night. when the 3 went up i thought "here we go, down one and have to score." then with the miss i was happy only to see the tip in and shake my head. when meech ran it down and it went in the house went nuts and we all started running around screaming and jumping into each others arms as if we were on the court. :lmao: sometimes it was too much, but well worth it. wow.

MedZag
03-22-2009, 09:49 PM
MedZag's vocal statements in the last 20 seconds in the game.

"OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD"

"YES! WAIT! AHHHH! AHHH! NOOOOOO!!!!!"

"OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD AAAAAAHHHHHHH OH! MY! GOD!"

*MedZag jumps out of couch*

"WHOOOOO!!! OHHHHH!!!!! WHOOO!!!"

*MedZag comes too standing in kitchen*

"WHOOOOOO!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!"

Grad Zag
03-22-2009, 09:51 PM
zagco- "Zagco's young daughter and he wore their blue Gonzaga jerseys all day long. Zagco even had a headband on most of the day, which seemed to embarrass his wife when we went to Home Depot. Anyhoo, we watched in our living room in Boise, and Zagco was in his gigantic beanbag in front of the big screen. When it happened, he lifted his arms and legs up in the air and shook them really hard and we all screamed. The daughter jumped off the couch screaming and high fiving Zagco, and the wife was yelling from the recliner. It was pandamonium for about 3 minutes or so. Then, we made popcorn and drank root beer all night long."

Oh I love it. I laughed out loud when I read you were a headband to Home Depot. I like how our zags bring the kids out in all of us. I can't stop laughing.:lmao:

hockeyzag
03-22-2009, 09:54 PM
I had a bunch of friends over (for the game and my birthday) in my living room watching on my 50 inch plasma. We went freakin' crazy! I remember holding two of my friends in a three person hug and jumping up and down. When he hit the shot I jumped up in the air and for some reason did a 360 and then went to grab my friends. Easily the best Zag moment of my short time as a Gonzaga Fan. I will never forget that moment as long as I live.

I'm having everyone from that game back to the house on friday. I cannot wait. What an amazing year for Gonzaga Basketball.

anothertigerfan
03-22-2009, 09:57 PM
i was watching it on tv and cheering with a large contingent of tiger fans. congrats zags and welcome to memphis! i'm praying for an upset on friday!

zagirl2k
03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
I feel much less alone in my Zag game day craziness after reading this thread.

I have gotten some great laughs and huge smiles out of it!! Thanks for sharing :D :D :D :D

This definitely needs to go to the Hall of Fame once everyone has had a chance to chime in who wants to.

T-bonedazag
03-22-2009, 11:12 PM
I was at the game in the student section with my bro because a friend of a friend couldn't be there saturday....drove down Friday night after work got in late...woke up @ 9:30 couldn't hold in my excitment. Went to my other brother's house who was going also and started the pre-funk. During the last two min I couldn't stand it....I was walking back and forth from my seat to the aisle...it was too much. When they got the tip in I was thinking UConn, not UCLA....probably because I was there for that and it just felt like that game...winnning most of the game and then coug-ing it at the end. I was so glad that I snuck some rum in the game so I could finish it off and start pouting.

Then Meech got the ball and its like I saw it in slow motion, I can only describe it like if you have been in a car wreck, when you remember it you see everything slower. I saw the lane open up and tried to yell DRIVE!! but nothing came out. I just stood on my tippy toes leaning on my bro with my mouth open. It went in.......I went nuts, the students went nuts, I looked at the clock, .09 left, the heave, its short.....Crazyness. I was hugging the girls in front of us, giving out high fives like they are going out of style....yelling for Meech. I stood on my chair so I could high five everyone three rows behind me. High five all the GU supporters sitting in the rows below us....best game I have seen, tops the OSU battle in Seattle.

I then went out to the concourse on the 200 level and declared to everyone as loud as I could....."I am glad that I am not a huskie fan, Go Zags!!!!"

As we come out of the Arena I see Fr. Spitzer he asks me where my dad was (they went to GU together) I said we left him in Spoke....Spitz laughed and said that it was good because "he probably would have had a heart attack if he was here, I almost did." I loved every second of that day.

I love all these posts, some of them made me tear up some made me laugh, they all made me happy to be a Zag!

Go Zags!

Reborn
03-23-2009, 07:40 AM
....best game I have seen, tops the OSU battle in Seattle.

I love all these posts, some of them made me tear up some made me laugh, they all made me happy to be a Zag!

Go Zags!

This is certainly an all-time thread. I was at the BIS when Morrison banked in that game winner. I've never seen a crowd erupt the way that one did. But I bet this game winner by Meech did top Adam's. Meech's was ddfinitley in a more important game, so I would imagine the outbreak of uncontrollable passion was just incredible.

GUinSTL
03-23-2009, 08:11 AM
I was at home watching with wife and good buddy from Spokane who also lives in St.Louis now. Toddler daughter was asleep in the room above my family room.
I wasn't upset about the tip-in over Daye, and I just said, "There's plenty of time. Lay it in. To the tin (in my best Raftery)." Next thing I know it's Meech, with the little kiss!!! I didn't yell too loud, but I sprang up off the couch with an emphatic fist pump. That very fist pump also checked the strength of the ceiling...which sent me to the floor. My knuckles lost the battle and bleeding ensued. I was still thrilled, and it was TOTALLY WORTH IT!!

Onward to Memphis. GO ZAGS!
~B